Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
imyourhuckleberry

Default Most confusing markers on the lake

I have a mental block when I approach the markers near the southern most tip of east bear island and mark island. Navionics tells me to go right between the two black markers, but it doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else get the sense of dread here? And, what are the most confusing markers on the lake for you?
Attached Images

Last edited by imyourhuckleberry; 09-22-2022 at 05:23 AM.
imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #2
LoveLakeLife

That’s how Bizer has it too. Sense must give way to trust. haha

I’m pretty sure one of the red/white markers has been missing between Mark and Mink for a couple years. Bizer says stay to the left of one and to the right of the other. I can’t tell which one the lone survivor is, so I just hug it.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

Make sure your depth finder is turned on.......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:24 AM   #4
steve-on-mark

If you are talking about the red and black, stay on the Bear side of red, Jolly Island side of black. I go on either side of the the navigation marker, but the mail boat usually travels on the Bear side of it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
Phantom

I believe you are referring to the area around FL#30

FL#30 is associated with a Black Top and "safe passage is to the northern side of it

The Red & Black Tops that you see close by mark a hazard between them. Counter intuitive but (as stated) the safe passage is between the shoreline and Red Top

Many people get confused and think the two black tops in the same area are associated with each other -

Just goes to show the Cardinal system is not perfect. There are a select few of these types of situations that you just have to memorize. Another is over by Varney island.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Make sure your depth finder is turned on.......
Doesn't matter if the transducer is on the back of your boat!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
The Real BigGuy

Just remember there are black and red markers AND black top and red top markers. Go between red and corresponding black markers. NEVER go between black tops or red tops. They have their own passage rules depending on direction of travel.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Just remember there are black and red markers AND black top and red top markers. Go between red and corresponding black markers. NEVER go between black tops or red tops. They have their own passage rules depending on direction of travel.
Except you go between the two red tops that are at the south end of the channel between Mark and Mink. You really need to think of such locations as separate, not a pair of buoys, marking two separate hazards. Any number of similar situations make sense in that perspective.

The four buoys mentioned by the OP really mark two hazards. You will often see boats criss-crossing the area between the two sets of buoys. As with other places, you will see boats going between the red and black tops here, without mishap. Just lucky.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #9
The Real BigGuy

I’ve seen lots of boats going on the wrong side of markers over the years and luck out missing hazards and I’ve seen boats doing the same thing on other days and leave sorts of their props & outdrive son the rocks.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
LoveLakeLife

I would have illustrated the chart like Phantom did but I have no idea how.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:20 AM   #11
BrunoSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Except you go between the two red tops that are at the south end of the channel between Mark and Mink. You really need to think of such locations as separate, not a pair of buoys, marking two separate hazards. Any number of similar situations make sense in that perspective.

The four buoys mentioned by the OP really mark two hazards. You will often see boats criss-crossing the area between the two sets of buoys. As with other places, you will see boats going between the red and black tops here, without mishap. Just lucky.
One of the Red Top ( red/white) spars on the southern side of the channel between Mark and Mink has been missing or removed, for years. The missing one was on the Mink side of the channel. Maybe it was removed because it was confusing with the Red Top (red/white) on the southern tip of Mark.

Another place to watch out for is the rock field off the shore between Farrar’s Point and Leavitt Park/Beach. I have seen 46 footers come thru there with no issues and a friend’s 23 foot bow rider destroy an outdrive. Just because you see someone else make it thru one of these areas, doesn’t mean you will.

Last edited by BrunoSR; 09-23-2022 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added information
BrunoSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #12
Phantom

Getting a little off track from the FL#30 area -- the below, between Eagle & Pitchwood Islands is what I have found to be the most common area for people to screw up -- For every 3 that make it we always see 1 no so lucky.

Lake Rule #1 -- never follow someone thinking he knows what he is doing (REGARDLESS of the size of the boat)
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #13
imyourhuckleberry

Totally agree w/ the Stonedam narrows. I thought about going through there then took a look at the chart - nope!

Cant believe anyone actually goes through there.
imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
Totally agree w/ the Stonedam narrows. I thought about going through there then took a look at the chart - nope!

Cant believe anyone actually goes through there.
I looked at a 1962 chart--If you think it is confusing now, think about having it marked with 4 black buoys in a square! I understand more boats get pulled out of there than the Witches. Adding the NWZ on the other side of Eagle encourages more traffic through this rocky area.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
I have a mental block when I approach the markers near the southern most tip of east bear island and mark island. Navionics tells me to go right between the two black markers, but it doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else get the sense of dread here? And, what are the most confusing markers on the lake for you?

There is nothing that you will hit in a pleasure boat anywhere around those markers on either side. I have been though and around them thousands of times I imagine in the last 20 years of being on Mark and East Bear.

Unless you are piloting the Mount you are good.

Keep in mind that while you should pay attention to the markers, some are set for larger vessels such as the mail boats, the Mount, or the C-nile!
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #16
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
There is nothing that you will hit in a pleasure boat anywhere around those markers on either side. I have been though and around them thousands of times I imagine in the last 20 years of being on Mark and East Bear.

Unless you are piloting the Mount you are good.

Keep in mind that while you should pay attention to the markers, some are set for larger vessels such as the mail boats, the Mount, or the C-nile!
haha....best laugh I've had all day!!
codeman671 (09-27-2022), Smith Point (10-02-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #17
Taz

I always keep #30 and black to my port side headed toward Mark Island and never a problem.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote