Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2021, 11:04 PM   #1
Senter Cove Guy

Default Remembering The Old Man Of The Mountains

May 3, 2021 is the 18th anniversary of the demise of the Old Man Of The Mountains.

Over the years I have collected pictures and post cards of the Old Man and I thought that today I would post a few of what I have as we all remember one of NH's greatest treasures.

Long Live The Old Man

Photo Credits (Left to Right, Top to Bottom)
1. Fred Sieb
2. Ron Paula
3. Dick Smith
4. David Brownell
5. Chuck Theodore
6. Fred Sieb
Attached Images

baerkjkr (05-03-2021), Bernie Girl (05-03-2021), camp guy (05-03-2021), coltgov101 (05-03-2021), fatlazyless (05-16-2021), FlyingScot (05-03-2021), garysanfran (05-03-2021), NHskier (06-08-2021), pam.in.ny (05-16-2021), PENIVISA (05-03-2021), salty dog (05-04-2021), smith point boater (05-03-2021), The Winster (05-04-2021), TheTimeTraveler (05-03-2021), thinkxingu (05-03-2021), Tomregal (05-03-2021), Top-Water (05-11-2021), trfour (05-02-2021), upthesaukee (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Talking ...... woofa-loofa-toofa ..... radio Old Man here!

This very famous cliff side area site, home of the Old Man is within a NH state park and is not in the national forest so's the state could actually put up a life size, imitation, artificial old man replica up there ...... some day.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a real deal, look-a-like Old Man up there, made out of aluminum and done up to look totally natural and original.

Maybe throw in some lighted moving and winking eye balls and an fm-radio, low power, music station .... Radio Old Man ..... for the cars driving below ..... broadcast from the Old Man above.

Like ....... woofa-loofa-toofa .... this here is the Old Man on the Mountain coming to you with 49-watts of music power as you cruise through the scenic notch parkway, down below ...... drive safe and remember to stay sober ..... it's the Old Man up here ..... over and out! .... arrrooooooo ......

The federal government really did not do the local area any good when Route 93 going through Franconia Notch, there, replaced the old Route 3, two lane road that was there before the parkway got built in 1987-1988. It was better with the old road. It was a better visiting area with the old two lane Route 3. You could park in the breakdown lane under the Old Man and find a great viewing spot on the smooth grass steep side embankment, lay down on the grass and look up at the Old Man.

Now, it's the only interstate highway in the country with just one lane, going north and south, but it's not as nice a visiting spot as it was before the new highway got built albeit before the Old Man crashed down off the cliff on May 3, 2003.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-03-2021 at 09:19 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
The Winster (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
camp guy

Default Remembering The Old Man of the Mountains

Many thanks to Senter Cove Guy for his posting, but, FLL, let's pass on the artificial "Old Man" and radio station and just be allowed to remember "The Old Man" as we all do in our own minds and ways.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-11-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #4
fatlazyless

In 1996 or so, Gov Steve Merrill was a strong supporter for the state to strengthen and preserve the Old Man rock formation structure, but the majority in the House of Reps would not support the funding needed to strengthen the Old Man.

It was ...... state legislature-1996 .... no money for the Old Man ..... that cliff has been up there for a thousand years ..... and will be there for another thousand years!
Old 05-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
Little Bear

Default The Old Man's son

On Route 25 in Moultonborough, there's a rock formation on the eastbound side that has a striking resemblance to the Old Man. It's just about across the street from Glidden Road, and is really only visible when traveling east on 25. One of these days, I'll take a picture of it and post it here.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #6
ApS

Lightbulb Enough Fraud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
In 1996 or so, Gov Steve Merrill was a strong supporter for the state to strengthen and preserve the Old Man rock formation structure, but the majority in the House of Reps would not support the funding needed to strengthen the Old Man.

It was ...... state legislature-1996 .... no money for the Old Man ..... that cliff has been up there for a thousand years ..... and will be there for another thousand years!
The Old Man had already been kept from falling with long steel bolts and strands of steel cable. It was just a matter of time before lightning-strikes and repeated earthquakes shook the mountainside loose.

After the collapse, I wrote to suggest hiring a local artist to restore the Old Man: With today's carbon, fiberglass, and composites, rebuilding the mountainside with lightning-proof and shake-resistant materials would last many decades--maybe a century.

Viewing now, through lens-fakery, just doesn't deliver the same message as in a former age.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Wentworth06 (05-07-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #7
fatlazyless

http://www.townsandtrails.com/replac...-the-mountain/ ..... Replacing the Old Man ..... May 11, 2009

Mount Rushmore with Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Lincoln is carved out of granite and took 14-years to make, from 1927 to 1941.
In 2020 it was South Dakota's biggest tourist attraction with over two million visitors.

An Old Man facsimile would be a super successful tourist attraction, make New Hampshire great again, and bring in some big tourist bucks. ......
Old 05-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

The States Quarter program issued a Quarter in 2000 which clearly displayed the vivid image of that once famous natural rock formation.

The Federal Government issuance of this coin likely called more attention and publicity to the Old Man more than a Post Card or Stamp could ever have done.

This coin has the phrase "Old Man of the Mountain" which is inscribed into the image itself. Most American coins have raised lettering, so the inscription into the coin is very unusual.

I remember this coin was once quite common in change, but after May 3rd, 2003 folks seemed to have begun hoarding them as finding them in change suddenly became difficult. They became a collectors item after the collapse.

New Hampshire should be proud of this quarter. After all, if the collapse had occurred in 1999 then this particular image on the New Hampshire quarter would likely have never been used.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
Little Bear

I had to go out Route 25 today, so I had a chance to grab a picture of the Old Man’s son.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-04-2021), pam.in.ny (05-16-2021), rander7823 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
I had to go out Route 25 today, so I had a chance to grab a picture of the Old Man’s son.
Sharp eyes! Thanks for posting that photo.....
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #11
Senter Cove Guy

Default I Rotated The Image

Wow! Who knew? You DID have a keen eye.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2021, 11:42 PM   #12
trfour

Thumbs up Fantastic!

A thank you to Senter Cove Guy.

As many times that we passed the Old Man while he was still ON the Mountain, snowmobiling the North Country and Canada, I never stopped and took pictures.

These are Great!!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Betcha this www.fabulousinflatables.com in Ontario, Canada could do a bang-up job making an Old Man of the Mountain, gigundic parade balloon float.

Inflate with helium, float it up the cliff, and secure to its spot ..... as a trial balloon re-creation for the Old Man of the Mountain .... at a relatively low price .... just to see how it goes with the tourist public! .....

What do you think! ... ... I think it would be an instant success winner re-creation because looking at the photographs of the real rock face, Old Man .... a realistic re-creation made by Fabulous Inflatables, Ontario would be very realistic and made to last outdoors in the NH weather.

Take a look at the 70' high 'Santa in the Chimney' or the 60' high 'Kermit the Frog'. Making this Old Man inflatable is similar to making a single piece of a puzzle that fits onto the existing rock cliff, way up there.

What the heck ..... is a trial balloon installation to see how it goes .... at a relatively low price. So ...... why not do it!

To pay for it, New Hampshire could set up an 'Old Man of the Mountain-Go Fund Me' and grow it with small donations from people who want to donate.

www.fabulousinflatables.com/about-the-team/ ...... "If you can think it, we can build it."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-04-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #14
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
Wow! Who knew? You DID have a keen eye.
Thanks for rotating the image. I never checked after posting.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:43 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Worst thing that could ever happen there is somebody trying to put up a fake replacement.

What's next get a bunch of bulldozers and excavators and rebuild Mt St. Helens?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-05-2021), Top-Water (05-11-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
Bear Guy

I found this proposal - for replacement of the Old Man - interesting. According to Wikipedia, this was an award winning design, for an unbuilt project.
https://www.townsandtrails.com/repla...-the-mountain/
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Default ....... Old Man was 40' tall x 25' wide

From www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Mountain ..... it says the old man rock face was a series of five granite cliff ledges which were size 40' tall x 25' wide.

Seeing the Old Man only measured in at 40' tall x 25' wide is new info to me, and I am very surprised by this relatively small size. So .... 40' x 25' .... how about that!

At this Old Man size of 40' tall x 25' wide, a temporary inflatable replacement Old Man made by www.fabulousinflatables.com in Ontario seems like it is reasonably doable. If this was paid with a 'go fund me' from many donations it could be a happening, New Hampshire-state wide, community, remember the Old Man type of remember event.

"If you can think it, we can build it." ...... www.fabulousinflatables.com/about-the-team/ ..... that's correct-a-mondo ..... an inflated 40' x 25' wide, Old Man piece-of-a-puzzle prosthetic inflatable that fits onto the existing granite ledges and restores it back to the Old Man of the Mountain when secured onto its happy spot, high up top the cliff, way up there!

Even I would donate ten bucks ....... well, maybe just five bucks ...... just to have it up there again for a temporary return, Old Man of the Mountain retro re-visit ..... like a return visit from a deceased uncle or someone ...... how's about you? ..... ...... like hoo-ha, wow, and yabba dabba doo ..... little New Hampshire could get some big national attention with this 'Return of the Old Man!' ..... just for a temporary visit ..... hey, look at that ...... he's back! ...

....... woofa - loofa - toofa ...... up there in the sky ..... he's baaaack! .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-14-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #18
pondboy

Default Noggin Trail

There was a maintenance trail that led right out to the retaining cables attached to The Old Man's Forehead. It was a Stunning View!
pondboy is offline   Reply With Quote