Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Default Electric PWC's

For you EV fanatics, here's a company in Canada making electric PWC's and snowmobiles. https://taigamotors.ca/

I have no interest whatsoever in anything electric (except a leaf blower and chain saw), so I'll stick with my gas-powered vehicles and toys.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
subaruliving (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Jetskis are about 10-12' long, similar to kayaks except a kayak has no engine and gets paddled. Is always best to lose the engine, gas or electric, and move it along with a paddle which definitely makes a paddle kayak about one hundred times better than an electric Jetski. .....

No gasoline,no electric energy, no motor or engine, no NH-state registration, no insurance other than standard home owners ........ is just you and a double ended, kayak paddle. ...... ..... HOO-YAH!
Old 11-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Jetskis are about 10-12' long, similar to kayaks except a kayak has no engine and gets paddled. Is always best to lose the engine, gas or electric, and move it along with a paddle which definitely makes a paddle kayak about one hundred times better than an electric Jetski. .....

No gasoline,no electric energy, no motor or engine, no NH-state registration, no insurance other than standard home owners ........ is just you and a double ended, kayak paddle. ...... ..... HOO-YAH!
No way, Jet skis are the way to go. You can cover the length of Winnipesaukee in 20 minutes, try that in your granola crunching kayak.

Plus you get the satisfaction of a fountain spewing out the back of your ski, you make smoke and noise so others can hear you coming if you burn gas. Electric jetskis still produce noise and smoke, just elsewhere, so there is that. Kayaks can get run over.

On top of that, jet skis help stir up the lake, kayaks don't, if there were only kayaks on the lake, the water would get stagnant. No body wants that, therefore Kayaks are bad for the lake.

ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (11-16-2021), subaruliving (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
codeman671

No thanks, my 300hp RXTX-300 will leave that thing in the dust!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

https://youtu.be/4YJKf8E-_2M

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
dippasan (11-29-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
For you EV fanatics, here's a company in Canada making electric PWC's and snowmobiles. https://taigamotors.ca/

I have no interest whatsoever in anything electric (except a leaf blower and chain saw), so I'll stick with my gas-powered vehicles and toys.
I'm wishing for one!

I loved gas-powered beasts for decades, but virtually no gas car can match EVs for acceleration and speed. I'm hoping jetskis will be the same. Quiet would be nice too
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
8gv

Electric PWC you say... I'm shocked!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
Bear Islander

Prices start at $24,000 !
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Prices start at $24,000 !
Their website says that the PWC is starting at $15,000.00. Still a lot of money for a floating battery.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
John Mercier

Not really.
If I remember correctly, and it has been a while, one of the largest complaints on the PWC was noise. I believe that is what increased their headway speed distance from the shore to double what a much bigger and more powerful boat would have... and banned them from certain areas of the lakes.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
AltonCAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post

Hipower electricity, Humans, and Water what could go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonCAM View Post

Pleasure boats have had safe electrical systems for decades; I don't think it's terribly challenging to implement.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #13
fatlazyless

If an electric powered pwc was really a good thing, then the native indigenous peoples would have been using electric canoes ....... many many years ago ..... but they did not go electric ....... they used paddles to paddle their canoes ..... and not electricity ...... so a paddle is one heap big better than a high powered electric motor in this situation ....... UGH! .... ...... and Holy Cowabunga!

Paddle a kayak ........ the paddler gets the exercise!

Electrically power up a pwc ...... the pwc-er gets FAT and LAZY!

People who use those danged pwc-vessels are simply too danged LAZY to paddle a kayak.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Not really.
If I remember correctly, and it has been a while, one of the largest complaints on the PWC was noise. I believe that is what increased their headway speed distance from the shore to double what a much bigger and more powerful boat would have... and banned them from certain areas of the lakes.
Not really. Since most all jet skis are at least 3 passengers and are registered as boats the same rules apply. As a matter of fact, on a 3 passenger jet ski, because it is considered a boat, you are not even required to wear a life jacket. You just have to have it "available"
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #15
John Mercier

I don't think the 3-seaters have the same static location effect as the stand-up or runabout versions. And I don't think I have ever seen a 3-seater catch enough air time to hit the motor's rev limiter.

Doing that creates a very high whining noise.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #16
ITD

Quote:
I don't think the 3-seaters have the same static location effect as the stand-up or runabout versions. And I don't think I have ever seen a 3-seater catch enough air time to hit the motor's rev limiter.

Doing that creates a very high whining noise.
Has to be a pretty dense rider to let that happen.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Has to be a pretty dense rider to let that happen.
Actually to whip a runabout or stand-up out of the water, even for a bunny hop, take talent.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #18
ITD

Quote:
Actually to whip a runabout or stand-up out of the water, even for a bunny hop, take talent.
I'm not sure that qualifies as talent, regardless, that's not the part I was talking about, it's the hold the throttle wide open until it hits the rev limiter part, really unnecessary and not great for the engine and pump, kind of dumb.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
John Mercier

Freestyle riders do it all the time.
Whenever you do a trick that lifts the intake from the water, it empties the pump rather quickly, if it stays out of the water for only a short period of time, it hits the rev limiter. The more ''air'' you catch, the more difficult the trick and the more likely to hit the rev limiter.

The talent is about the tricks.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #20
ITD

Quote:
Freestyle riders do it all the time.
Whenever you do a trick that lifts the intake from the water, it empties the pump rather quickly, if it stays out of the water for only a short period of time, it hits the rev limiter. The more ''air'' you catch, the more difficult the trick and the more likely to hit the rev limiter.

The talent is about the tricks.
My jet skis suck air all the time, I never hit the rev limiter. It doesn't take much talent to let off the throttle when the intake sucks air.

I still think it's dumb to do that to an engine and pump, but apparently that's just me.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
John Mercier

I hear it when they do a back flip.
I have heard it when they whip them in the air sideways... usually pretty high.

Not sure if any of those tricks allows for them to let off the throttle.
But you can hear the engine whine and then it seems to slow... so maybe they can let of the throttle mid-air.

Since I am usually several hundred feet away... I am guessing what is happening.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #22
LakeTimes

Interesting. Wonder if they "winterize" easier than gas Jetskis - aka push button or something.

Quite frankly - if performance was on par with say an RXT, that would be a great selling point for me. Love how the newer Volvo engines in boats (Cobalt for example) have a winterize push button on them. Have been waiting to see if that gets introduced by Yamaha or Seadoo and have heard nothing but crickets...
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
Interesting. Wonder if they "winterize" easier than gas Jetskis - aka push button or something.

Quite frankly - if performance was on par with say an RXT, that would be a great selling point for me. Love how the newer Volvo engines in boats (Cobalt for example) have a winterize push button on them. Have been waiting to see if that gets introduced by Yamaha or Seadoo and have heard nothing but crickets...
If they are anything like electric cars, should be better performance and zero winterization. On performance--torque on an electric vehicle is instantaneous--you do not have to spool up the engine to reach full power. This is why large Tesla sedans are often quicker than Porsches and muscle cars. On maintenance--there are no fluids, thus nothing to drain, change, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
goutes23 (11-23-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
AltonCAM

Quote:

I can’t wait to have a 480 volt supercharger installed on my dock. Drop the cable in the water and you will have fish for dinner.
But I guess you could use a phone charger for safety but it might take a couple of weeks to reach full charge.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #25
FlyingScot

Quote:
I can’t wait to have a 480 volt supercharger installed on my dock. Drop the cable in the water and you will have fish for dinner.
But I guess you could use a phone charger for safety but it might take a couple of weeks to reach full charge.

Unless you're an oil exec or a gas station owner, I'm not sure why you're being so silly about this. As you'd hope, this stuff is completely waterproof and safe.

My 220V car charger at home is outdoors, completely waterproof, and safe to use in the harshest of rain storms. Charging an electric vehicle at home is WAY more convenient and only about 1/3 the price of buying gas at a station.

I will be psyched when electric PWCs arrive with decent specs, and I'll gladly run a 220 line down to my dock. The electrical work will pay for itself with cheaper fuel and maintenance
Old 12-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #26
John Mercier

Oil execs and garage stations are just as likely to make money on the change.
Electricity is just a more universal energy format.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:09 AM   #27
AltonCAM

Try looking up “Electric Shock Drowning: A Silent Killer” at the WebMD site. This is my last post on the subject. You have been warned. By the way I spent 40 years in the electronic industry dealing with voltages up to 10,000 volts and microwave power levels up to 50,000 Watts. I have a Masters Degree from MIT and I am far from silly.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #28
thinkxingu

Safety's an issue, for sure, but I think logistics are the bigger limitation. Some examples:

* What percentage of homeowner docks has easy access to power? Only one or two of 50+ spaces in our association (docks and beach poles) have power access without using lots of extension cords.

* The range on these makes going for extended outings questionable. Getting from Hanson Cove to Wolfeboro is 45 minutes one-way. These linked above have 2 hours estimated run time.

* 3/4 of the time I take my machine out, I need to refill—impossible to do with electric.

* I want to ride when I want to ride, not when my craft is charged.

* These are only 2-seaters, which changes how they're defined as watercraft AND I'm confident the 2 hours run time is reduced with a second passenger.

* Cost. $15k gets you a 2-seater, 2-hour, 55mph max machine without boarding ladder. $25k for the one they show in the ads. *vomit*

I don't see, at least in the near term, there being enough electric practicality and buy-in to achieve economy of scale.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #29
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Safety's an issue, for sure, but I think logistics are the bigger limitation. Some examples:

* What percentage of homeowner docks has easy access to power? Only one or two of 50+ spaces in our association (docks and beach poles) have power access without using lots of extension cords.

* The range on these makes going for extended outings questionable. Getting from Hanson Cove to Wolfeboro is 45 minutes one-way. These linked above have 2 hours estimated run time.

* 3/4 of the time I take my machine out, I need to refill—impossible to do with electric.

* I want to ride when I want to ride, not when my craft is charged.

* These are only 2-seaters, which changes how they're defined as watercraft AND I'm confident the 2 hours run time is reduced with a second passenger.

* Cost. $15k gets you a 2-seater, 2-hour, 55mph max machine without boarding ladder. $25k for the one they show in the ads. *vomit*

I don't see, at least in the near term, there being enough electric practicality and buy-in to achieve economy of scale.

Yes--these are great points. The equation that makes EVs decent is the combination of run time, cost, charging requirements. Obviously, we are there on cars of about $40K or more, and it looks like pickup trucks and more are coming this Spring (Ford Lightning!). But the resistance of moving a boat through water is a lot tougher.

I agree 2 hours is cutting it close. I might need 3 hours to pull the trigger. On the 55mph max, you seem to suggest that's weak. One great thing about EVs is the instant torque--they are much quicker off the line than even the fastest gas cars. So the sensation of speed is amazing. I expect PWCs to be the same.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Yes--these are great points. The equation that makes EVs decent is the combination of run time, cost, charging requirements. Obviously, we are there on cars of about $40K or more, and it looks like pickup trucks and more are coming this Spring (Ford Lightning!). But the resistance of moving a boat through water is a lot tougher.

I agree 2 hours is cutting it close. I might need 3 hours to pull the trigger. On the 55mph max, you seem to suggest that's weak. One great thing about EVs is the instant torque--they are much quicker off the line than even the fastest gas cars. So the sensation of speed is amazing. I expect PWCs to be the same.
Acceleration is certainly important, but knowing what I know about company claims, that 55mph estimate is most certainly in perfectly flat water with an 18-pound waifish vegan and, when my rotund suburban dad bod hits the seat, will be closer to 40!

Old 12-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #31
FlyingScot

Quote:
Acceleration is certainly important, but knowing what I know about company claims, that 55mph estimate is most certainly in perfectly flat water with an 18-pound waifish vegan and, when my rotund suburban dad bod hits the seat, will be closer to 40!

OK, Slim--but isn't that the speed limit?

Seriously, a full-figured rider will benefit even more from the instant torque than a waif. The engine does not need to spool up to a few thousand rpms have get the strength to move you--it jumps instantly. This will be a big advantage for the Ford F150 EV in terms of towing power.

As a lover of window shopping, you should go get a "touchless" test drive of a Tesla 3 or Y to feel this, just for fun, bring the kids (and pick up those new knives while you're at the mall!)

https://www.tesla.com/en_eu/drive
Old 12-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
OK, Slim--but isn't that the speed limit?

Seriously, a full-figured rider will benefit even more from the instant torque than a waif. The engine does not need to spool up to a few thousand rpms have get the strength to move you--it jumps instantly. This will be a big advantage for the Ford F150 EV in terms of towing power.

As a lover of window shopping, you should go get a "touchless" test drive of a Tesla 3 or Y to feel this, just for fun, bring the kids (and pick up those new knives while you're at the mall!)

https://www.tesla.com/en_eu/drive
You working for Big Electric, or what?!

Old 12-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
John Mercier

I think it is more the cost of technology development that will drive it.

I remember with the 4-stroke debate that Yamaha put the R1 into a motorcycle, Waverunner, and snowmobile to share the cost across product lines.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:
You working for Big Electric, or what?!

Ha! I wish! I have really fallen in love. I do think you're right about the PWCs--we are still a few years away from them being viable. But even as a person who prized his Barracuda and a string of BMWs, there's no way gas cars can compete on performance.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #35
John Mercier

BRP has a target date of 2026.