Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
TheTimeTraveler

Default Nearly new boats for sale?

Late August and early fall are traditional times where some folks decide it's more convenient (or easier) to sell their boat than to worry about winter storage and the carrying costs.

As such, one could expect an exceptional purchase bargain, but is that the case this year during these Covid times?

I know earlier this summer that new boats were not only pricey but very scarce.

Is this situation still continuing or have things gotten better for those who are looking to purchase a boat in the fall ? Prices dipping yet ?

Thoughts? Opinions?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I don't think prices are going to go down any time soon. The demand remains as people escape the cities and move to this area. Real estate is still hot.

I know local dealerships are having trouble getting inventory and most boats are pre-sold before they arrive.

There is a foam shortage because of the Texas freeze up and the largest foam manufacturer in the country is still not back online. Tough to build a boat with no seats! Taylor, who is one of the largest makers of seats and other marine products (and many other things like golf clubs, canvas, fenders Etc.) says they will not even restart their boat seating production until September.

As long as the demand continues and supply is constrained prices will not go down.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-01-2021), TheTimeTraveler (08-27-2021), XCR-700 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I think we're already starting to level out—houses are staying on the market longer and aren't fetching the same types of prices they were only a few months back. I'm not sure this will be the sell-off year, but I'm already saving for a second ski next year...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
DesertDweller

I think TiltonBB is spot on. The dealers don't have inventory and the stuff that is coming in likely already has a deposit on it. If someone wanted to get rid of a boat, I would think they would have little to no trouble selling it quickly even though it would not be used until next year.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think we're already starting to level out—houses are staying on the market longer and aren't fetching the same types of prices they were only a few months back. I'm not sure this will be the sell-off year, but I'm already saving for a second ski next year...

Dont hold your breath, my understanding is that most of next years production is already pre-sold, and there was some talk about not holding the Boston boat show again next year as there was no need. Apparently some manufacturers and dealers dont think there is any need as demand is still very high and the cost and logistics of running the show may not be wort it.

Only time will tell.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
John Mercier

I see some on the side of the road as I travel up and down Rte 106, but never really thought if they were a good value or not.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Ill wait until they are 10 years then buy!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Dont hold your breath, my understanding is that most of next years production is already pre-sold, and there was some talk about not holding the Boston boat show again next year as there was no need. Apparently some manufacturers and dealers dont think there is any need as demand is still very high and the cost and logistics of running the show may not be wort it.

Only time will tell.
But I wonder how many of those are replacement, not new vessels. Of those friends I mentioned, two have new skis ordered to replace their current ones. Because the used market was so high, they ordered brand new, but their machines are only a few years old.

We've seen this type of thing happen before, which is why I save while others buy—the only question is when, and given that it's been over 10 years since the last one, I gotta think it's soon.

thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
But I wonder how many of those are replacement, not new vessels. Of those friends I mentioned, two have new skis ordered to replace their current ones. Because the used market was so high, they ordered brand new, but their machines are only a few years old.

We've seen this type of thing happen before, which is why I save while others buy—the only question is when, and given that it's been over 10 years since the last one, I gotta think it's soon.

Makes sense to me and in truth I was tempted to do the same, but decided our current boat is as big as I want on Winnipesaukee, as the town docks are just too small and too busy for a much larger rig. Well at least for me.

Now if I hit the lottery and buy a condo on the Fla intercoastal, then I'll be ordering a Formula 35' CBR without hesitation. Until then we are happy boaters and plan to enjoy what we have.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote