Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Frank

Default Mice and Carpenter Ants

Hi -

We live in Gilford, and we are having problems with both mice and carpenter ants! Is there a single company in the area that will deal with both that anyone can recommend, or do we have to have two different companies out?

Thanks,
Frank
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Pest control

.I'm in Gilford and have used Fedolfi Pest Free for 7 years now on a maint contract. They do a great job both on a preventative basis and when I have had problems with ants, mice or wasp's. They are prompt, clean and I feel they can be trusted. Their number is 603-528-1886 tell them Charlie T told you to call, I'm sure they will take good care of you.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Chickie

Default Instant Pest Control

Has anyone tried those plug-in gadgets (as seen on TV) which are advertised to rid your house of every insect and rodent under the sun? According to the ads, you just plug them into the wall and they send a current through the wiring, clearing your house of any vermin residing there. Sounds rather incredible to me and just too easy.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
Has anyone tried those plug-in gadgets (as seen on TV) which are advertised to rid your house of every insect and rodent under the sun? According to the ads, you just plug them into the wall and they send a current through the wiring, clearing your house of any vermin residing there. Sounds rather incredible to me and just too easy.

didn't work in my case, 2 winters ago we had a mouse issue and with 6 of those little things they kept coming in the hosue. I ended up just using d-con.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
ITD

Frank,

I use Grant ant cups for the ants, takes a week or two for them to go away.

For mice you have to find where they are getting in and seal it up. I use the canned insulation foam. Go all around the foundation and seal up any holes you see, no matter how small. Seal around wires and pipes. I like snap traps and glue traps over d con and poison because I like to get rid of them when they die as opposed to having them die in the walls.

Took me over a year before I found where the mice were getting in, I finally made the connection when I looked for the pipes that went to a slop sink in my garage. They were under a set of stairs that were enclosed. I pulled the top off and found two 1 and 3/4 inch holes for 1/2 inch copper pipes. It was a mouse highway. Once I sealed those two holes (plus about 10 others) I haven't seen another mouse since.

Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
mrskahuna

Default Plug-ins worked for me

We had a mouse problem one winter. A friend recommended the plug-ins, so we bought one for each level of the house. Mice disappeared and have not been back in 2 years. They're also supposed to work on spiders. Now, if I could only find a way to get rid of the lady bugs that invade our house year-round. Any suggestions anyone?
mrskahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

I use the plug ins too and they seem to be working. They are supposed to keep bats out too. I am wondering how long they last though. Do you know mrskahuna?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
kthy66

My Parents had a problem at their lake house. They used good old fashioned kitty cats! Vermin are all gone now... Mice, Squirrels, chipmunks, Moles were all over the place before the cats moved in... now there isnt one to be found.
kthy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

The plug-ins worked for me in my skihouse.Hane not seen any trace for a year.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
mrskahuna

Thumbs up

Answer to tis: We had the mouse problem at our house in Gilford 2 winters ago. They all left and have not returned. I'm not sure of the life of the plug-in, it may indicate on the package. I also installed them in my house in Bedford and they're working so far.
mrskahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

The plug ins work....but you have to buy a good one.Northern Equiptment (on line) sells one for around $100 .....put it in the basement of a 200 year old house with a stone foundation and have not seen a mouse,chipmunk,spider ...even a moth for 7 years.They never wear out.Only problem is,the good ones have an audible chirping sound which might disturb pets.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Thanks for the reply, mrs. I also think that it might say on the package but I didn't save them. Mine are also two years old and still seem to be working. I was wondering if they really still are. I figured they will keep bats out too.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts
Default Revenge

For carpenter ants we use a bait product called "Revenge" that we got at Agway in Gilford. It is simply boric acid mixed in a clear sugar syrup. Small amounts are placed on small cardboard squares and you let the ants eat. After about a week the ants will disappear.

The worker ants bring the mixture back to the nest to feed the queen and the larva. The boric acid does them in and wipes out the whole nest. You just have to get used to encouraging all those worker ants to eat-up for a few days.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskahuna View Post
... Now, if I could only find a way to get rid of the lady bugs that invade our house year-round. Any suggestions anyone?
These critters are harmless but I understand that you might have issues with clumps of bugs in your house. When they find a good place to over-winter they emit a pheromone to alert more ladybugs to the "resort."

Some folks just slurp them up with a vacuum. You could also make a game of it and have the kids collect them and put them in a box in a cool dark place. When spring arrives shake the box outside and they'll fly away.

After you relocate/remove them you can try washing that resting spot with a soapy cloth to reduce the scent. I'm not sure if it will help but it wont hurt. The summer bugs are just lost. Sealing any cracks or gaps in screens and door frames might help.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
Dave M

Default Bomb

You might want to try a bomb. The ones I bought had 3 in a package. Believe or not I had ants in my boat this year. Tried the food method and it didn't work. Put one of the bombs in the compartment for skis and opened all the seats and put the cover on. Ants were Gone. Have used in my house as well, works.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Audiofn

Last weekend we had ants again. I am wondering if the Ortho is working. Last year it worked well this year not so well. I sprayed it again last weekend and hope it took this time since we did not get any rain. In the spring it rained just after I applied it. I think it was the Ortho Max?

What really freeked me out was the 3 foot long Milk Snake that came into the basement!!!! I made a good snake out of him.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskahuna View Post
Now, if I could only find a way to get rid of the lady bugs that invade our house year-round. Any suggestions anyone?
I had a neighbor with the problem. She just opened the screen at the sunniest window, and they all flew away.

I think the problem started when she brought her OUTdoor plants INside. The ladybugs hatched from the soil the plants were rooted in, I'd guess.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #18
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthy66 View Post
My Parents had a problem at their lake house. They used good old fashioned kitty cats! Vermin are all gone now... Mice, Squirrels, chipmunks, Moles were all over the place before the cats moved in... now there isnt one to be found.

I agree - the Humane Society help me cure my mice problem...we named her Phoebe....
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote