Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Freeze Alarm Question

I have a freeze alarm in my house and it works great except for one problem. The phone line the freeze alarm communicates via is a cable line and when the electricity fails, the cable modem goes off and it needs to be re-set manually. Thus, after a power failure the freeze alarm can be off for long stretches of time until someone goes to the house and resets the cable modem. Is the only solution to this problem to invest in a land line?

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default It's a toss up

I too have a freeze alarm which has saved my butt more than once over the years. I had the same concerns as you when I ditched Metrocast cable last year and went with internet TV (Roku )

I chose to keep my Fairpoint land line just so the Freeze Alarm would have a reliable way to call me in the event of an outage. Search the forums and you will find many who agree that the most reliable utility in your home is the POTS line ( Plain Old Telephone Service). Internet phone service is not very reliable and I certainly wouldn't trust it to protect my home from major damage!. If you are the gambling type you could get a Computer UPS that you could plug all your telephone gear into to help in the event of a power outage. Don't plug your Freeze alarm in to the UPS as it has a battery (9v) back up. By doing it this way you will get a call when the power goes out and the freeze alarm is on its own battery power, the UPS should keep the phone running for a while. In this scenario at least you will / should get one notification that the power has failed, eventually the UPS will die but you will be aware to check it every so often.

YMMV Good Luck, counting the days until the boat can go back in the water.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
wickedtravelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I have a freeze alarm in my house and it works great except for one problem. The phone line the freeze alarm communicates via is a cable line and when the electricity fails, the cable modem goes off and it needs to be re-set manually. Thus, after a power failure the freeze alarm can be off for long stretches of time until someone goes to the house and resets the cable modem. Is the only solution to this problem to invest in a land line?

Thanks
You could also invest in a self charging external battery backup. They can cost upwards of $100, but you'll have peace of mind when the powers out. Just plug the cable modem into the back up battery and depending on the size you buy, you could run the cable modem and freeze alarm for several day or even weeks (let's hope not) without power.
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Timer

Just get an on off electrical timer. Set it for a 10 minute on off cycle say from 1:00 A.M. till 1:10 A.M. Plug your modem into it so it resets your modem every night. A power cycle should reset your modem as it does mine.

That's what I now do on the island since I can't get out there to reset.

Dan
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Just get an on off electrical timer. Set it for a 10 minute on off cycle say from 1:00 A.M. till 1:10 A.M. Plug your modem into it so it resets your modem every night. A power cycle should reset your modem as it does mine.

That's what I now do on the island since I can't get out there to reset.

Dan
Yes, this.

You could get a UPS for the cable modem, but it might not last through a long outage, and the problem might also be that the modem needs to be reset AFTER power has been restored at the cable head-end. The timer solves those problems cheaply.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
ITD

I don't understand why the cable modem needs to be manually reset. Mine resets itself, I would call the cable company and have them send you a new modem, or buy one yourself if they charge you rent.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I don't understand why the cable modem needs to be manually reset. Mine resets itself, I would call the cable company and have them send you a new modem, or buy one yourself if they charge you rent.
Mine does the same thing...Occasionally a power fluctuation or very quick power loss will require a reset of the modem either manually or by a hard power reset for a couple minutes. It happens at least once every couple months.

Dan
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
jetskier

Post Alternative Approach

Alternatively:

I don't like relying on my networking infrastructure for my freeze alarm notification and so I took a different approach.

I added a phone to my Verizon cellular plan ($10/month) and installed a bluetooth/POTs bridge. The freeze alarm communicates via POTs to the bridge and the bridge communicates via bluetooth to the cell phone. I have the whole thing on a UPS and it will run for weeks in the event of a power outage. The whole setup was less than $100.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
secondcurve

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions/advice. I decided to have a land line installed. It will cost about 10.00 a month but it seems like the most reliable way to go.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Thanks for the suggestions/advice. I decided to have a land line installed. It will cost about 10.00 a month but it seems like the most reliable way to go.
Secondcurve, it's still worth a call to the cable company, your modem should reset itself, it may be a matter of a firmware update if it is not that old, or a new one if it is old. You can by them at best buy, or if the cable company gives them free they should send you another.

It will save you $120 a year, and the landline will bring telemarketer and political calls, I'm seriously considering giving my land line up.

BTW I have video feed from my house plus my alarm system thru my TW cable modem, haven't had to reset it yet in 10 years.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Secondcurve, it's still worth a call to the cable company, your modem should reset itself, it may be a matter of a firmware update if it is not that old, or a new one if it is old. You can by them at best buy, or if the cable company gives them free they should send you another.

It will save you $120 a year, and the landline will bring telemarketer and political calls, I'm seriously considering giving my land line up.

BTW I have video feed from my house plus my alarm system thru my TW cable modem, haven't had to reset it yet in 10 years.
Tanks ITD. I did an audible this morning and put the land line on hold for 30-days while I try to figure things out.