Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Par Four

Default How to clean boat fenders?

I have several different types of boat fenders, all of which can use a good cleaning. I have ground in brownish-blackish looking crud that I suspect is from the dock. I have next to no lack rub rail streaks.

I need to watch all the nickels & dimes this year (again this year... ) so I'd love to get these fenders cleaner because replacement is not high on the list of priorities.

I did a quick search in the older posts but did not find this as a topic.

Anything you might know to be effective?

Last edited by Par Four; 07-07-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Typos...
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
NoBozo

In my 40 years of boating..ususally with Par Aire fenders..There is NOTHING that works to clean them. I have tried everything from Comet Cleanser with a scrub brush to Acetone with a rag.

There is a Up Side to this ugly fender problem. Nobody will likely want to steal them so you can just leave them on the dock...No Worries.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
jetlag100

I, too, tried many methods. The only thing that did help, just a little more, was the "Magic Eraser". I had one of the heavy duty type and it did get the bumpers a little more presentable.
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
I, too, tried many methods. The only thing that did help, just a little more, was the "Magic Eraser". I had one of the heavy duty type and it did get the bumpers a little more presentable.
I WILL vouch for "Magic Eraser". It worked Absolute Wonders on my 20 year old..never before cleaned light creme colored vinyl upholstery in my 20 foot runabout. I also tried it on my Ugly Fat Fenders with no real improvement. NB

PS: Magic Eraser also does an excellent job cleaning scuff marks off latex wall paint. I have No Idea HOW it works.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Par Four

Default Abrasive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
I recall seeing a few older posts while browsing Search results that seemed to warn against using Magic Eraser as it could/would result in abrasion to the boat gel coat.

I'm trying to avoid getting transfer of the crud from the fender onto the gel coat and w old not want to wind up with marginally better looking fenders and abrasion on the boat.

I might have that wrong, but you may want to do a similar search...?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
JTA

Has anyone tried white wall tire cleaner?
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Rich

I had some bad looking white fender and took them home to clean them.

I tried several things, even mineral spirits (as per the Taylormade instructions).

But then I eyed some automotive 'bug and tar remover' and tried it on the fenders.

I was surprised how well it worked. Let us know how it works if you try it yourself.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Par Four

Default Maybe a winner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had some bad looking white fender and took them home to clean them.

I tried several things, even mineral spirits (as per the Taylormade instructions).

But then I eyed some automotive 'bug and tar remover' and tried it on the fenders.

I was surprised how well it worked. Let us know how it works if you try it yourself.
Tnx Rich - just so happens that I have the fenders at home with me and I have some Turtlewax bug & tar spray out in the garage, so I just now did a couple of test spots on 2 separate Taylormade 28"x9" fenders. This was a spray-on, wait a minute, scrub with a stiff brush and wipe clean process. Easy.

It was pretty effective on the crud that I think comes from the dock. It did a good job on the grey-ish grime as well. It did not get everything off, which is probably understandable as these guys are both many years old. But, they look a whole lot better, a whole lot better.

I will wait a few days to see if there may be any interaction with the plastic (you know how sometimes it can get grippy/sticky?).

Something about the smell of the bug&tar spray tells me that I need to wipe the fenders down really well, and maybe wash them again a couple times in milder solutions (SimpleGreen?) and let them bake in the sun. I would not want cleaner fenders at the expense of putting residual chemicals into the lake, or have any of it transfered by contact onto the boat gel coat.

Thanks for the tip. So far so good.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Rich

Glad it helped! The version I used was the thick liquid type that almost looks like the consistancy of liquid car polish.

I'd tell you the brand, but I took it to the boat to clean my other fenders.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
JasonG

sell them on ebay as slightly used
buy new ones
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote