Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Skip

Smile Scenic spots for drone video/photography?

Had a nice trip up the western spine of the Lake this morning on my way to a meeting in Plymouth. I had my new drone with me (Mavic Pro) but the low clouds and bland lighting deterred me from flying.

With foliage season arriving fast, I am looking for some suggestions from the experts here as what points of view you would like to see from my drone's perspective. Anywhere on the Lake is fine as long as I have public access to fly that is within a couple of hundred feet of the Lake. I can range out between 5000 and 10,000 feet and up to 400' AGL.

Hopefully I can get some great shots/videos later this fall that I will gladly share here!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
Barney Bear

Default Picture of Paradise

Perhaps you could stand on the dock at Cattle Landing and get some great views of our favorite island. of course, Skip, that is Bear Island. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Here's two spots In Gilford, about one mile in from Route 11; there's Lincoln Park, a Town of Gilford property, and the Marine Patrol Headquarters, a state property, located about one mile from one another, with both located on the Winnipesaukee waterfront.

A third spot nearby is the Town of Gilford, town beach, with its 1100' long, sandy beach.....and the parking rules are basically no longer enforced after Labor Day.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Winnisquamer

Mavics an awesome drone. I have pushed mine to its absolute limits in other countries that have no laws. That thing will hit 1700' up and 4 miles distance! Amazing piece of engineering
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default DJI Phantom

Someone got caught improperly using his DJI Phantom and decided to sell it to me cheap! Even at half price its still an expensive toy.

Any comments from anyone if this is a good buy?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Someone got caught improperly using his DJI Phantom and decided to sell it to me cheap! Even at half price its still an expensive toy.

What's the asking price? Half price can vary depending on which model it is. To me also depends what you want to do, do you want to travel with it, if so I'd prefer the Mavic or even spark as they're more portable. Or just send it from your house here and there? Are you serious about them or just curious about them and want to fly occasionally?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Visiting the Rose Island Lighthouse last weekend, we observed a drone observing us. It had to have been coming from a couple of miles away, across Newport Harbor. Amazing range.
Then we wondered, if we were being "spied on", could we just shoot it down? It would have been next to impossible to track it back to the operator.

What's the law with regard to privacy issues?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Visiting the Rose Island Lighthouse last weekend, we observed a drone observing us. It had to have been coming from a couple of miles away, across Newport Harbor. Amazing range.
Then we wondered, if we were being "spied on", could we just shoot it down? It would have been next to impossible to track it back to the operator.

Shooting anything out of the sky that isn't along the lines of recreational clay shooting is a felony offense.

Very little to no privacy rights in public when dealing with drones and videography.

People that fly obnoxiously are why they get a bad wrap.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Shooting anything out of the sky that isn't along the lines of recreational clay shooting is a felony offense.

Very little to no privacy rights in public when dealing with drones and videography.

Ducks, geese, pheasants etc are not made of clay.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
No different than walking down Main St in any large city...cameras are everywhere recording everything you do... If your in public you are fair game!

Dan
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Ducks, geese, pheasants etc are not made of clay.
Correct.. excuse me, things that arnt related to those things, ie hunting, sport shooting etc.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
codeman671

I need to step up and get one...Been itching for one for a while.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

It is the obnoxious people that are causing issues to come up, that will provoke laws, that will make drones harder to use.

Overall I believe that Drones are fine. However they can become obnoxious... operators need to practice common sense....
Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
Skip

Quote:

There was an attempt to enact some regulations in NH that failed earlier this year. Subsequently, outside of restricted areas, a drone can be flown up to 400' AGL. It is recommended you not fly over crowds, and you cannot operate between dusk and twilight ( without FAA approval ). I am currently finishing up my class to obtain an FAA part 107 commercial license so I can fly my drone commercially, and also pilot the unit we will be obtaining for the government agency I work for.

I do not fly over crowds, and when transiting over private property I tend to stay at about 400'...you wouldn't even know I was passing by. I also do not hover over someone else's property unless invited, and do most of my flying from public areas. Surprisingly most of those that stop to see what I'm doing are very positive once they understand the device.

It all comes down to using common sense when and where you fly...and I can add that this is probably the most fun I've ever had with a hobby!
Old 08-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
It is the obnoxious people that are causing issues to come up, that will provoke laws, that will make drones harder to use.

Overall I believe that Drones are fine. However they can become obnoxious... operators need to practice common sense....
There was one at W. Alton a couple weeks back that the people anchored near us clearly weren't excited about. When it landed in the water, one of the not pleased men dove in and recovered it. The owner showed up some time later, not knowing exactly where it had landed; eventually, the two men had an "interaction." I'm not confident the displeased man initially intended to return the machine.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #16
Wiezy

Default Telephoto Zoom vs Drone

For an interesting perspective on drone photography and privacy, this individual compared Telephoto zoom photos to drone photos. I didn't realize how far those zoom lenses could focus!

https://petapixel.com/2015/08/21/are...creep-you-out/
Wiezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezy View Post
For an interesting perspective on drone photography and privacy, this individual compared Telephoto zoom photos to drone photos. I didn't realize how far those zoom lenses could focus!

https://petapixel.com/2015/08/21/are...creep-you-out/
Wow! This is a great example of how technology gets ahead of regulation, and might cause some to rethink what is appropriate from a regulatory perspective.

As ishoot points out, if you're in public, you're fair game for cameras. Few people have a problem with that. Also, not many have a problem with drone hobbyists flying small craft around. But combine drones with strong lenses, and man, that's creepy!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #18
JPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
A third spot nearby is the Town of Gilford, town beach, with its 1100' long, sandy beach......
Have the rules changed in reference to regulation for flying near an airport? One of our dockmates at Fays has a new drone and it would not allow him to fly in Smith Cove due to the Laconia airport. The Gilford beach is even closer to the airport then Smith Cove. A few feet anyways!
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #19
diz

Default Improper use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

What was the improper use? The DJI app prevents you from flying in restricted airspace. I've got two Mavic Pros and I can't imagine how I'd get into a situation where selling them was a good option.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
What was the improper use? The DJI app prevents you from flying in restricted airspace. I've got two Mavic Pros and I can't imagine how I'd get into a situation where selling them was a good option.
He didn't say. He was vacationing at one of Maine's beaches and he said he got in trouble with it. He said it was a Phantom 3 Pro bundle. I've seen used or refurbished ones at half price on Amazon. About the same price he quoted.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #21
Onshore

Default DJI drones and water

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
There was one at W. Alton a couple weeks back that the people anchored near us clearly weren't excited about. When it landed in the water, one of the not pleased men dove in and recovered it. The owner showed up some time later, not knowing exactly where it had landed; eventually, the two men had an "interaction." I'm not confident the displeased man initially intended to return the machine.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
A word of caution... the documentation that comes with the DJI Mavic Pro is very clear and emphatic that wet batteries are a fire and possible explosion risk. If you see one of these go down in the water and you choose to retrieve it, I believe the manual says to leave the battery on a nonflammable surface away from people. I would hate to see someone hurt because they pick one of these up and set it in their boat not knowing the risk.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #22
Wiezy

Default Airport for Hobbyist Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
Have the rules changed in reference to regulation for flying near an airport? One of our dockmates at Fays has a new drone and it would not allow him to fly in Smith Cove due to the Laconia airport. The Gilford beach is even closer to the airport then Smith Cove. A few feet anyways!
As long as they are flying as a hobbyist, they only need to notify the Laconia airport. This isn't a request for authorization, but a notification - i.e. the airport cannot say you can't fly. You cannot operate the drone so it interferes with a manned aircraft, so flying within flight paths is prohibited of course.

The DJI app may alert you that it is within 5 miles of the airport, but it shouldn't prohibit you from flying. I'm not an expert, however, so refer to the FAA website or contact the UAS helpline directly at UAShelp@faa.gov

I have emailed with them as well as spoken with them on the phone, and they are really a helpful group. I haven't spoken with the Laconia airport folks (I'm flying outside of the 5 mile radius), but the two county airports I call regularly from my parent's and in-law's houses have always been great about thanking me for the call.

From https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
Quote:
when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [...] with prior notice of the operation
Wiezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezy View Post

The DJI app may alert you that it is within 5 miles of the airport, but it shouldn't prohibit you from flying. I'm not an expert, however, so refer to the FAA website or contact the UAS helpline directly at UAShelp@faa.gov

From https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
You are correct, my DJI app gives me a variety of warnings, including when flying in restricted airspace. There are certain areas within the country where the app does prevent you from flying. However, if you receive an FAA waiver there is a procedure to allow DJI to temporarily lift a flight restriction for a particular area. And while it is advisable that you notify a nearby airfield if flying within 5 miles, a number of the areas that I fly in are private airports with no manned tower to notify, Pease being the exception.

With the complexity of regulations, and the liability you assume, I recommend anyone that takes the hobby as serious as I seek their part 107 certification. It has been an eye opening experience for me so far, and helped me sort out fact from rumor...hopefully making me a better pilot!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You are correct, my DJI app gives me a variety of warnings, including when flying in restricted airspace. There are certain areas within the country where the app does prevent you from flying. However, if you receive an FAA waiver there is a procedure to allow DJI to temporarily lift a flight restriction for a particular area. And while it is advisable that you notify a nearby airfield if flying within 5 miles, a number of the areas that I fly in are private airports with no manned tower to notify, Pease being the exception.

With the complexity of regulations, and the liability you assume, I recommend anyone that takes the hobby as serious as I seek their part 107 certification. It has been an eye opening experience for me so far, and helped me sort out fact from rumor...hopefully making me a better pilot!

I have my 107 cert, I literally never use it and actually feel that the laws are more lenient for a hobbyist. Like flying at night for example the part 107 comes in handy when you start doing it to make supplemental income or as a full-time business like you stated earlier in this thread. Getting FAA waivers like places around Logan airport in my experience just won't happen. Been waiting over a year for one
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #25
Skip

Quote:
I have my 107 cert, I literally never use it and actually feel that the laws are more lenient for a hobbyist. Like flying at night for example the part 107 comes in handy when you start doing it to make supplemental income or as a full-time business like you stated earlier in this thread. Getting FAA waivers like places around Logan airport in my experience just won't happen. Been waiting over a year for one
Yes...extreme patience is necessary as you have noted, anywhere from 90 days to a year plus depending on the complexity and area of the request!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #26
goutes23

I just bought a Mavic but want to make sure where I'm legal to fly. I have the FAA B4UFLY app but man, it looks like I have to contact every freakin small airport if I want to fly it within a 5 mile radius. Do you guys contact all the airports on that list if you're just flying close and are under 400'?Also...Do I need to to register it on the FAA govt site? It looks like a court ruling states I don't have to since it's just for recreation. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
goutes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #27
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by goutes23 View Post
I just bought a Mavic but want to make sure where I'm legal to fly. I have the FAA B4UFLY app but man, it looks like I have to contact every freakin small airport if I want to fly it within a 5 mile radius. Do you guys contact all the airports on that list if you're just flying close and are under 400'?Also...Do I need to to register it on the FAA govt site? It looks like a court ruling states I don't have to since it's just for recreation. Is that correct?

Using the same app, I am in the same situation as you here on the seacoast when I fly from my backyard. However, of the four zones I'm in only Pease has a manned tower to call. If I'm in their zone I do give the tower a courtsy call. I did make the extra effort to register my Mavic, however you point out correctly that it is voluntary as of now.

Finally, for just $65 annually, I fully insured it (replacement cost) with State Farm and also purchased the DJI Care package for $99...hope I don't need either! Still searching on liability policies when I get my 107 and start flying commercially.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #28
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question R I - Possible Good Shot?

Would the top of Rattlesnake Island be if interest to you?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
Phantom

okay -- let me share some "first hand info" --

1) I have a DJI Phantom 3
2) our place is essentially at the foot of KLCI's runway
3) technically, no matter what the capability of the drone is - the FAA mandates (as a hobbyist) that you do not fly above 400' & always keep it visible to the operator (note there is no low level restriction and "supposedly" you are to keep it in sight).
4) As wiezy above mentions, if you are to fly within 5 miles of an airport "you are REQUIRED" to notify them in advance

Now with the above said,

I personally visited and talked to the KLCI Airport manager who was EXTREMELY helpful & a nice guy .............. with respect to my situation being so close to the airport (and I would suspect this true of Gilford Beach & Fay's) I was requested to stay UNDER 100' after notifying them ... and obviously no where near "Runway Heading". The quandary however remained crossing Helicopters - where I was requested simply to be diligent and drop down (even from 100').

Best of all -- there is an App called "AirMap" which once signed up (it's free) you can file a legitimate Flight Plan for the drone and there is an option which AUTOMATICLY notifies KLCI. The automatic filing does not apply to all airports but in the App you can distinguish which do vs. do not

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airm...042824733?mt=8

One word of caution about the App -- I would highly suggest that you verify that the Flight Plans are being filed at least once -- in my case, I thought they were going through when in reality (due to an improper App setting) in reality they were not.

Hope this helps .... the more we all know & fly responsibly the less likelihood for further regulations !

Last edited by Phantom; 09-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #30
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Would the top of Rattlesnake Island be if interest to you?
That would be awesome, maybe later on this fall when foliage is full???
Old 09-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #31
Skip

Smile Thanks for the ideas and discussion!

...I am on vacation now, and though I will be spending a considerable amount of it along the Maine coast I hope to scout out some of your ideas prior to foliage getting into full swing!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #32
Denis D

Just to clear up any misperception, the requirement to notify airports within 5 miles does not only apply to towered airports but to all airports. If an airport is non-towered, then contact should be made to the Owner or Manager of record for the airport. That info is readily available on line.

Hope this helps.

Denis D
Old 09-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #33
goutes23

So Denis do I just go online and look up the control tower that is within the 5 mile radius on the FAAB4UFly app, call them and tell them I'm flying? What is the process? I'm a newb so I hope this questions aren't too dumb.

goutes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #34
Skip

Quote:
So Denis do I just go online and look up the control tower that is within the 5 mile radius on the FAAB4UFly app, call them and tell them I'm flying? What is the process? I'm a newb so I hope this questions aren't too dumb.

Yes, exactly that. In my experience they usually thank you for the call. Sometimes they've asked me to stay at a lower altitude. And usually the several small private airstrips near me never answer the call.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #35
Phantom

Goutes23 --- save yourself the hassle ---- if you get the App that I referenced in post #29, it will pop up all the airports in restricted space around you with a phone #

Laconia accepts Digital filings, so no call needed IF you file the flight Plan thru the App --

AGAIN -- on the first time with App -- check to see Laconia (or wherever) is actually receiving them -- I had a settings issue at first

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
CrownRay

Quote:

Most small airports are not control towered. How would a pilot based there even know about it? I can't really say I have ever seen a place where "NOTAMS" for a small airport are posted. I am sure they exist, but when I was based at a small airport, I never even went inside the "terminal" that was usually locked up.