Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
rrr

Default Generator Service

We are in Tuftonboro and have a Siemens, air cooled, whole house generator - that needs service. I have left messages for the company that installed it with no reply. So now I'm looking for recommedations.

thanks for your help!
rrr
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
sluggo

Give Troy Mahoney a call over to TNT Electric he can take care of you... 455-4217
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggo For This Useful Post:
rrr (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
MeredithMan

I have been using Powers Generator Service for a couple years, (www.powersgenerator.com). You can get an annual maint contract and they will come out once per year and go through the entire system and do a failover test. They are headquartered in Keene, but service residential and commercial customers throughout New England.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
rrr (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I have been using Powers Generator Service for a couple years, (www.powersgenerator.com). You can get an annual maint contract and they will come out once per year and go through the entire system and do a failover test. They are headquartered in Keene, but service residential and commercial customers throughout New England.
MeredithMan

What is the annual fee for that contract?

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
MeredithMan

Hi SecondCurve--

Cost is $295.00 per year. They have a checklist of about 20 items that are covered during the annual maint visit. Major ones include replacing oil, oil filter, spark plugs, checking all belts and hoses, ignition, voltage, and simulating a power failure. Holding a maint contract also provides "priority response in the event of a widespread outage" and "reduced labor rates for work necessary outside of preventative maintenance"

I have been very happy with their service. Hope that helps.

MM
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
rrr

Default thank you

At this point I have messages in to three locals - the original installer since late Friday, another recommendation since yesterday morning and Troy this morning. I guess no one needs the business.

I also called Powers and was surprised that it will be about $600 for them to come out and take a look, more if parts are required. I asked about their annual service contract and was told that if I sign up now (between September and December - could've been November) the fee is $345 because they're so busy in fall. The price seemed high - but at least they answered!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
At this point I have messages in to three locals - the original installer since late Friday, another recommendation since yesterday morning and Troy this morning. I guess no one needs the business.

I also called Powers and was surprised that it will be about $600 for them to come out and take a look, more if parts are required. I asked about their annual service contract and was told that if I sign up now (between September and December - could've been November) the fee is $345 because they're so busy in fall. The price seemed high - but at least they answered!
WOW!! $600 to "take a look" ?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Wow is right! It only cost us over a hundred to get our's serviced. I don't remember the exact amount but it was certainly less than two hundred.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Newbiesaukee

I called Powers to service my generator which had had no maintenance for a few years. The bill was nowhere near $600. They did offer the maintenance contract but that did seem pricy and I chose to stay on the "as needed" plan. I was happy with the service and the work. Perhaps your generator is significantly larger or more complicated.

I just looked it up. I have a Generac 15kw. The major service trip charge was $345. It needed a new battery, filter and other parts. The total was $473. Not cheap but not 600 for a look.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Hi SecondCurve--

Cost is $295.00 per year. They have a checklist of about 20 items that are covered during the annual maint visit. Major ones include replacing oil, oil filter, spark plugs, checking all belts and hoses, ignition, voltage, and simulating a power failure. Holding a maint contract also provides "priority response in the event of a widespread outage" and "reduced labor rates for work necessary outside of preventative maintenance"

I have been very happy with their service. Hope that helps.

MM
MM:

Thanks. That does help. I was quoted $396.00 for two visits 6-months apart during the year. There is a check list of about 15-items. Probably worth it after investing a considerable amount of money in a Kohler standby unit.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
MeredithMan

Hi Secondcurve:

Glad to be of help. I'll also add that two years ago, we were living in CT for Hurricane Irene and the October Blizzard. We did not have a generator. We lost power for 8 days due to Irene and another 8 days due to the Blizzard. We had a well and septic, which means that there was no bathing or flushing....pretty gross in a short period of time. And, we lost the fridge and freezer full of food each time. That Christmas, Mrs MeredithMan and MeredithKids said all they wanted from Santa was a generator!

Anyway, my view is that after having gone through that miserable experience, (twice in 3 months!), a few hundred bucks per year to make sure the generator is in top notch shape and will kick on when the power goes out is well worth it.

MM
Old 10-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I called Powers to service my generator which had had no maintenance for a few years. The bill was nowhere near $600. They did offer the maintenance contract but that did seem pricy and I chose to stay on the "as needed" plan. I was happy with the service and the work. Perhaps your generator is significantly larger or more complicated.

I just looked it up. I have a Generac 15kw. The major service trip charge was $345. It needed a new battery, filter and other parts. The total was $473. Not cheap but not 600 for a look.
It could have to do with the time of year and location. They indicated to me that their prices were higher now. It was kind of funny they said $295 for the annual contract but if you sign up now... and I was expecting to hear there was a special, but instead they said it would be $50 higher. To help me with the immediate problem they said it would be about $600 for the service call, travel and a two hour minimum but would go up if parts were required - sorry if I didn't say that right the first time.

I have finally found a resource to take care of the immediate problem. But I may well contact Powers in the spring to sign up for the annual checkup MeredithMan recommends. I agree that it is money well spent to make sure this resource is in good working order.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
It could have to do with the time of year and location. They indicated to me that their prices were higher now. It was kind of funny they said $295 for the annual contract but if you sign up now... and I was expecting to hear there was a special, but instead they said it would be $50 higher. To help me with the immediate problem they said it would be about $600 for the service call, travel and a two hour minimum but would go up if parts were required - sorry if I didn't say that right the first time.

I have finally found a resource to take care of the immediate problem. But I may well contact Powers in the spring to sign up for the annual checkup MeredithMan recommends. I agree that it is money well spent to make sure this resource is in good working order.
I agree that it is money well spent. A word of caution though, even though you have you immediate problem resolved by another contractor, Powers will most likely require an inspection and service before they are willing to put the unit on a maintenance contract. So, it might be worth the extra few bucks to have them do their thing now, as you will have to pay them later either way.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
codeman671

$600 is crazy...

I pay $295 on the seacoast to Philbricks Mobile service for a servicing and the contract. There is another repair shop in Dover that is under $200, but I have been using Philbricks from day one and he has been good to deal with.

For an oil and air filter chance its a lot of money, but good piece of mind. There really isn't much to these that you could not do it yourself.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Whimsey

Default The Generator Connection

I use The Generator Connection from over in Barrington. Annual service is $210 including oil and filter. $600 is out of line.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote