Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Driveway Gate

We had some uninvited guest to our home last week who decided to help themselves to some rather expensive UPS packages left on our porch.

We have a security system so they didn't enter our home, but they did break into my neighbors home and stole cash, copper and other misc items. They drove up a rather long driveway to do this in the middle of the day which is rather unnerving!

Anyway, looking to have an automatic driveway gate installed. I couldn't find anyone on line in the area who does this work. Does anyone know of a reputable fence company or contractor who does this work?? I am in Gilford.

Thanks!!

Dan
Old 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
codeman671

GC/AAA Fence in Dover is good, not sure what their work radius is from the seacoast area. This time of year it's probably easy to get them.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Little Bear

These guys did my gate in West Alton:

http://www.blueribbonnh.com/
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We had some uninvited guest to our home last week who decided to help themselves to some rather expensive UPS packages left on our porch.

We have a security system so they didn't enter our home, but they did break into my neighbors home and stole cash, copper and other misc items. They drove up a rather long driveway to do this in the middle of the day which is rather unnerving!

Anyway, looking to have an automatic driveway gate installed. I couldn't find anyone on line in the area who does this work. Does anyone know of a reputable fence company or contractor who does this work?? I am in Gilford.

Thanks!!

Dan
Dan: What town did this occur in? Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Thanks!!

Dan
One more question. Who is on the hook for the UPS packages? Is it UPS since they didn't get a signature?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
WIS

Try Sean Byrnes:

sean@sbwelding.com
sbwelding.com

Here is picture of a gate he fabricated from his website,

603-707-4677
www.WinnipesaukeeIslands.com
WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WIS For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
One more question. Who is on the hook for the UPS packages? Is it UPS since they didn't get a signature?
It happened in Gilford.

The boxes were from Amazon. When I called Amazon to notify that I never received them they immediately replaced them no questions asked.

The next day my neighbor stopped by to tell me he was broken into so it only made sense that his thief visited my house as well. They didn't try to break into my home most likely because of my internal home security system so they just took the boxes on the porch.

Dan
secondcurve (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wrought Irom Gates

If you are looking at custom wrought iron gates, call Klaus Buttinger. he is an amazing Old World craftsman. We are lucky to have him in the area.

As for security, a couple of Rotties will do. If someone wants the UPS packages bad enough, no security gate is going to stop them.

BTW, I usually instruct UPS to hold packages until I get back. UPS is around the corner from me so it is not a big deal.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
BTW, I usually instruct UPS to hold packages until I get back. UPS is around the corner from me so it is not a big deal.
I would guess if he has gates installed UPS won't be leaving any packages at the bottom of the driveway.Unless you install your own bulk mailbox dropbox.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I would guess if he has gates installed UPS won't be leaving any packages at the bottom of the driveway.Unless you install your own bulk mailbox dropbox.
With most automatic gates you have a key pad or similar. I would give a code to my UPS driver so he could get to the house and deliver packages. A code would also have to be given to the fire department, police, etc, etc. Each code given out would be different so you could tell by logging into the system who opened the gate and at what time.

Dan
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Pineedles

I occasionally do sporting clays at a private club and their gate is controlled by the owners via cell phone. Press a button at the gate and it dials their cell phone, and if they know who you are, they can open the gate via their cell phone. Very cool.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

There are all sorts of neat control, mechanisms that will allow you to grant access to someone...

The question I have here, for ishoot, is do you have a parameter fence around the rest of your yard? If not I am not sure that putting up a driveway gate is really going to be that much of a deterrent to a thief.... To the high school kid looking for a quick thrill sure... but a serious thief not at all...

A security camera on the other hand cleverly hidden..... so that you see anyone that comes up to your front door.... well...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

So speaking of crime but going a little off topic, what would you do if 4 rings disappeared in your house? Would you just hope it didn't happen again or what?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
ishoot308

Wink

[QUOTE=LIforrelaxin;213517]There are all sorts of neat control, mechanisms that will allow you to grant access to someone...

The question I have here, for ishoot, is do you have a parameter fence around the rest of your yard? If not I am not sure that putting up a driveway gate is really going to be that much of a deterrent to a thief.... To the high school kid looking for a quick thrill sure... but a serious thief not at all...

A security camera on the other hand cleverly hidden..... so that you see anyone that comes up to your front door.... well...[/QUOTE)

99% of the burglaries that occur are done by crackheads and punk kids that are too lazy to work for a living. Nothing will stop a professional thief unless I am home!

Mine and my neighbors driveway are quite long and steep with a dog leg because of the grade. This particular burglar drove all the way up the driveway and backed right up to my neighbors house. I think a driveway gate would have had some deterrent in this instance.

I am also sick of the political and religious visitors who show up unexpectedly on a Sunday morning trying to convert me!! It will be an added benefit to keep them off my property as well!

Dan
secondcurve (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
wifi

Default Signs

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. I have 5 no trespassing signs along my driveway. The people its meant to affect pay no attention to them. Almost weekly someone comes down uninvited. One day, some lady backed into my house in their haste to leave, as I was yelling out the window. It was kind of funny to see the Mercedes fleeing the scene with a dent on the back, I was only kidding by yelling

My house isn't visible from the street but my driveway certainly isn't as long as others portray here. I have hidden sensors to alert me in the house and on my cell and cameras to capture the event in my absence. Auto gates are too exotic for me, but I find the best thing is another (spare) car parked like the house is occupied. Seems as soon as someone spots the car, they try to turn around, or back out into a tree, hahaha, that happened last week.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Lakemamma

Dan, sorry that happened to you and your family. Glad they didn't get into your house.
Lakemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakemamma For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
RLW

Smile

Lakemamma, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for surfing and giving your thoughts on the different threads.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #18
welchislandman

Dan, I have 2 IP security cameras at my house and it sends me a text alert with the picture when motion is detected. Some have 2 way audio also. Might be worth looking in this also.

Jeff
welchislandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welchislandman For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
GTO

Default face it.....

[QUOTE=ishoot308;213519]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
There are all sorts of neat control, mechanisms that will allow you to grant access to someone...

A security camera on the other hand cleverly hidden..... so that you see anyone that comes up to your front door.... well...[/QUOTE)

99% of the burglaries that occur are done by crackheads and punk kids that are too lazy to work for a living. Nothing will stop a professional thief unless I am home!

Mine and my neighbors driveway are quite long and steep with a dog leg because of the grade. This particular burglar drove all the way up the driveway and backed right up to my neighbors house. I think a driveway gate would have had some deterrent in this instance.

I am also sick of the political and religious visitors who show up unexpectedly on a Sunday morning trying to convert me!! It will be an added benefit to keep them off my property as well!

Dan
We are no longer as far away from the "big cities" as we think. Laconia and Meredith are quickly becoming known for Meth heads. A friend of mine who is an out of town police officer had to go to Lakes Region Hospital this summer for an injury and he said he couldn't beleive how many meth users were there looking for treatment. With that, crime will continue to increase.
As far as the religious fanatics, do what I did one day last year. When I saw them getting out of their cars on my street, I quickly made up a sign on the computer that said, "EXORCISM IN PROGRESS" and hung it on the door. The looks they gave the house as they walked by were priceless. My son said we should scream when they went by but that might of been over the top.