Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Mark M

Default Arctic Cat ZR120

I'm looking to buy a ZR120 for my 7 year old daughter. Does anybody have one or know of somebody who is looking to sell one? I'm in Connecticut, but will gladly drive to NH to pick it up if it's cheap enough.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Mark I do not have one but would recommend starting out with a small fan 340. I started my kids out at about that age with a 340 and limited the throttle action until they got used to the machine. This way they have a sled they can grow into and use till they are in their teens and will have a much higher resale value when it is time to upgrade.
The problem with those small sleds is you have to have someone drive over the snow to pack it down before you can drive them on it. With soft snow they tend to bogg down even then.
Whatever you decide good luck, your starting them out at the right age.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
Mark M

That's a good point. But that's my baby girl. I'm not sure my nerves are up to her riding a "big" sled. But I'm sure my 4 year old son would jump right on a go!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
RLW

Cool Not sure on poor resale

I not sure on the poor resale of the 120. I was looking everywhere for one and all the ones I was interested in were only a couple hundred less than the selling price. I did not see a bad one in the lot that I viewed as the hours are usually quite low on them. I ened up getting a new Polaris 120 and it worked out great. I believe a 340 is a bit much on a 6 year old with the weight and the strength it takes to turn a machine of that size with a youngster. The part about the depth of the snow is true to an extent. The youngsters us the machine when they get 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff and have a fantastic time. They don't have to wait for the heavy stuff and when it is deep dad is always ready to go and make some trails.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Belmont Resident

Now that I think about it your right. They went and changed the ski stance on the smaller sleds. The 340 Indy that I started my kids on had a narrower then normal ski stance which made it really easy to turn. The newer sleds have gotten wider which does make for as little more turning effort unless you like to tinker with the suspension.
Making suspension adjustments both front and rear can have a huge effect on how the sled handles and steers.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
gtxrider

Default Used machine

I see Hillcrest Marine has an older Ski Doo 377 Safari on their website. Hillcrestmarine.com
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I have located 2 ZR120's!!!

contact me at finnhd@aol.com for details.

Last edited by WeirsBeachBoater; 11-16-2004 at 08:30 AM.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts
Default Two for sale in the Manchester paper

There was an ad in the Manchester Union Leader for a couple of these sleds described as "Ski Doo Mini Zs" up for sale. Asking price was 1500.00 OBO per sled. Not sure if it's OK to post the contact information but if you look for the on the Union Leader web site I'm sure you can find it.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #9
Mark M

Default Zr120

It's amazing. I've been looking at used ZR 120's and I'm shocked at the prices. I've seen everything from $1200 to $1600 for a 2 year old machine. I called my favorite Arctic Cat dealer in New Hampshire to see what he had in stock. I can get a 2005 ZR 120 for $1995. I can't believe how well these sleds hold their value. I gues it's because they don't get beat on like the bigger sleds do. I guess it's pointless for me to buy a used sled when for a few hundred dollars more, I can buy a brand new one. Therefore, I'm heading to New Hampshire this Saturday!!! I don't know who is going to be more excited on Christmas morning, me or my daughter when she see what's sitting under the tree with a big bow on it.

Thanks to everybody who replied to my post.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
RLW

Thumbs up Zr 120

Mark, thats exactly what I stated in item #4. I told ya the prices stay high and thats why I went for the Polaris 120 new. I would suggest you look at both machines as I found the Polaris built a little better and just look at the padding on the handle bars. The Arctic Cat is just a piece of black cloth material where as the Polaris has some good padding in it. Just a thought as safety is number one. My grand kids were upset when it snowed 6" where they live in MA and the snowmobile was up country. Guess what, now they want one up here and one down there at their home .

Last edited by RLW; 11-29-2004 at 12:39 PM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Resale value.

I notice that resale value on sleds are high. I was just at Owens Marine in Hooksett. They have tons of used sleds. They also have leftovers from 2 years ago. The leftovers are not mark down much. About the same price as a new machine discounted!
I notice the leftovers are the big 1000cc models. Looks like no one buys them. I'd rather have the small 400's sleds they are easier to float just after a snowstorm. They are better for skiiming over open water too!
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Owens Marine Manchester NH.

Watch out for Owens Marine. They are a volume dealer who cut's corners on quality. I bought my first new sled from them and had many problems related with assembly.
The track was never properly installed and all but fell off while out riding.
I brought the sled to another dealer who took care of all the issues and there were many.
If you buy a sled there I’d find another dealer to do the work.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Advanced motorsports

Advanced Motorsports in Weare NH on 114 seems to be a lot more reasonable than all the dealers I've visited. The snowmobile trailers are discounted. Something that I have not seen with the other dealers. They may be a bit out of the way, but it's worth the travel.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #14
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I know a guy...

With all the snowmobile connections you need.... Good deals on just about everything, small and personal to deal with. Just get in touch with me and I can hook you up if you need anything. WBB
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote