Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Spring on Redding Lane

I spent my winters in Blackey's Cove, thanks to a wonderful uncle. On Redding Lane there was a Natural Spring. I spoke to my mom tonight, who was out taking a drive and went to the spring, only to find out it was no longer there. It is out of operation! What happened? She thinks she was last there a year or so ago.

My mom called me and asked me to post this question. Any insights.....very much appreciated!

Eillac
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default Natural Spring

I must confess I haven't used the spring in years but it was a source of water for us for many. About 3/4 mile down on the right after you veer to the right down Redding lane. It was posted with water quality reports, but most times it was satisfactory. Are you sure it is gone?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
eillac@dow

I was not there... but my mom went by there today. She was with my brother. I cannot believe they would mistake where it was. She called me....to say...The Spring is Gone.

I hope someone out there will tell me she is wrong....but I gotta believe what she saw....No Spring!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
chuckdog

The spring is definately gone. I used to vacation in a group of cottages just down the road from Redding Lane on Eagle Shore Road in the late 70's through the 80's and used the well for drinking water. I would say the well/spring has been gone for at least 5 years, if not longer. I drove by the well within the last week or so while checking out the old vacation cottage. The well, like the cottages I used to stay in, are gone.

PS: anyone remember the name of the group of cottages that I'm referring to on Eagle Shore Road? Owned by the Powers family...a cluster of 10-15 yellow cottages? I think they were called the Lantern Cottages or something like that.
chuckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Redsoxlover

Default spring

I also used to get my water from the spring, it is gone . It's been a few years but I seem to recall the water quality tests kept coming back with high bacteria levels and it was posted as risky. I think who ever owned the property gave up. Anyone else , does this ring a bell?
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
eillac@dow

Default Thank you

My mom would swear that she was there last year and the spring was up and running. But it appears to be No Longer.

What a shame! Thank you all for responding.

Eillac
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
wifi

Just an echo, but I specifically stopped by today, and can confirm the green building is still there, but no pipes/hoses or flowing water. No trespassing signs around as well.

Now that you mention it, I thought it was in operation last year too
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

the last I knew, the state or town had step in and closed the spring down.... as even when they where posting results from tests people where not listening to the warnings... when I first started using the spring in the 80s there where not as many houses in that area, specificall the ones on the hill behind where the spring is located.... as more septic systems moved into the area.... the well appearently got tainted.....
Old 08-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
LOBI-JAMA

Smile Spring and cottages

Having spent many a summer on vaction up there,(last 3 weeks in July and 1st week in August), I to remember the sring. Nice cold water. Regarding the cottages- they were called Coach Lantern Terrace.There were 8 cabins painted yellow, plus the one out by the road the Powers stayed in during the summer. All the cabins and row boats were built by him using the wood from the land. They also built a year round house on the corner of Eagle Shore and Redding Lane. (left hand side). We always stayed in cabin 7. As years passed, the cabins were divided up between the 2 sons. I believe cabins 1,2,3 and 4 stayed yellow. (although i think cabin 3 and 4 were sold and moved down towards Blackcat Island.) The other 4 cabins (5,6,7,8)were painted red and the kids changed the name. Looking at camps for sale last fall, I did notice that 4 cabins and land were up for sale.Wish I had the money!!!!. If anybody has any information, please pass it on. New Hampshire-what a wonder place!!
LOBI-JAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
chuckdog

I used to spend a couple weeks at the cabins as well with my parents, mary and charlie jenkins and my sister missy (i'm chuck) From Massachusetts. We used to meet people their from NJ and RI every summer. Does that ring a bell?

I'm talking from about 1978 to 1986???approx
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
LOBI-JAMA

Smile

We were from New Jersey. Your name does not ring a bell with me. Your parents must have been dealing with the Powers son from Calif.? Were your cabins red?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
chuckdog

cabins were always yellow when we were there. did you have the speedboat that was at the dock? Your last name Lawton?(or something like that?)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
LOBI-JAMA

No, that is not my last name, although i know who they are. (parents, 2 girls and 1 boy- maybe 2-can't remember). Its been awhile. You ever to any jumping off the Blackcat Island bridge. Did you ever meet the people in the private hose next to cabin 1?. Was Robins General Store still in business in Center Harbor when you wre up there?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
chuckdog

robbins general store was still there, as was the bakery right next to it. never knew the people next door from the cabins. I do remember a double or triple murder on black cat island though. Son killed his parents and a sister maybe???

I think my family stopped going to coach lantern terrace when the son(s) started getting involved in the operation.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
tummyman

Default Spring etc.

The Spring on Redding Lane was disconnected by the owner this year. Its source was evaluated and found to be essentially groundwater. Since they could not guarantee the quality of the water, they removed the pipe.

Concerning the cottages on Eagle Shore Road, they were named "Coach Lantern Terrace" and owned by the Power family. Nils and his step brother Malcolm were the beneficiaries of the property after their parents death many years ago. Niles and his wife Elaine operated their share of the rental cottages for many years. Malcolm sold off his share of the buildings (retained the land) and two of them were moved further down Eagle Shore Road and renovated / expanded into year round houses. Two others were moved three years ago up to the Bean Road in Center Harbor. Unfortunately 3 years ago Niles passed away suddenly from a heart attack in his sleep. He lived off-season in California. His wife has elected to sell the property and remain in California. However, the economy being what it is, this large track has not been sold as of yet. Malcolm is still a frequent visitor to the site.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
tummyman

Default Black Cat Island murder

The murder occured on Black Cat Island in the late 1970's. We recall 3 people killed. The police had the Eagle Shore Rd. blocked (nighttime event) and the murderer was still thought to be in the area / island. But he had left before the police arrived and was finally found the next day with a self inflicted gun shot wound...dead.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog View Post
robbins general store was still there, as was the bakery right next to it. never knew the people next door from the cabins. I do remember a double or triple murder on black cat island though. Son killed his parents and a sister maybe???

I think my family stopped going to coach lantern terrace when the son(s) started getting involved in the operation.
Bakery was Anderson's bakery and Fred "Robbins" was the General store.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
skisox24

Default Before there was a light at Center Harbor

Correct. Robbins Store was an old country store that was a totally disorganized and seemingly unsanitary mess. The Robbins owned and managed the store for years. In spite of its character, it was missed when they sold out to an antiseptic and common general store which eventually failed and became Wild Harbor Canoes. The building next door at the lights was a pharmacy for many years with one of the most helpful pharmicists around.

We remted a home at Blackey Cove for many years during the 80's and always filled our old milk bottles with the "free" water from the spring on Redding Lane. The story that we heard was that the quality of the water was questionable so the town or DES shut it down. My wife who has never shaken her beatnik/hippie skepticism of the sixties theorizes that the spring was closed about the same time that the spring water bottling plant opened in Ossippee. It is missed for sure.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
LOBI-JAMA

Smile Coach lantern terrace

Thanks for the update on Coach Lantern Terrace. Would you happen to know the real estate company listing the property.?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
tummyman

Default Coach Lantern Terrace

The last company listing the property was Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage (previously named Preferred Properties) in Moultonborough. You can contact Bob Williams at that office and Bob will be glad to help you, if interested. His contact info is below.....

Bob Williams-CBRB
Cell-603-455-0275
Office-603-253-4345 x145
bob.williams@nemoves.com
Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
Pineedles

Default Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisox24 View Post
Correct. Robbins Store was an old country store that was a totally disorganized and seemingly unsanitary mess. The Robbins owned and managed the store for years. In spite of its character, it was missed when they sold out to an antiseptic and common general store which eventually failed and became Wild Harbor Canoes. .
skisox24,

I worked two summers at Robbins and I must disagree with you on two points. One it was not disorganized, and two the ground beef that we sold was kept in the cooler and the ground fresh in a the grinder that was washed down every night. I know, I was the one that did it. The floor was hardwood and not polished linoleum, but it was swept when needed. Fred crammed every imaginable item in that store that might be needed, but he was open till midnight some days of the week. Thank you for saying it was very missed, because I sure missed it. It may have not been as famous as Moultonboroughs' "Old Country Store" but it sure was convenient for many of us. I mostly miss the grinders that "Shirley", a long time employee used to make. As far as Fred was concerned he was a bit of cranky guy but no one is perfect.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #22
skisox24

Default Robbins

Pineneedles,

Notice that I said "seemingly unsanitary mess." In no way was I suggesting that it was in fact not clean or organized. I mentioned those terms in order to contrast with the store that replaced Robbins and failed rather quickly.

My wife and I really miss the character of the old store and all that it represented. I respect all the work that you invested in the old store and the care that the owners took to produce quality products. Unfortunately, that format doesn't work too well in today's world, which is a statement in and of itself.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
Pineedles

You are right, you did say seemingly, and it was quite a difference when the seemingly sterile and definitely vacant shelved quickie mart opened.

I remember how much a lot of people missed the store, particularly those customers waiting on Sundays for the clock to tic to high noon when it was legal to buy beer. Fred was quite the merchant, but he made sure we all watched the big clock behind the counter before we could even begin to ring up a beer purchase.

Thank you for your compliments and yes it is too bad that format doesn't work anymore.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #24
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
I spent my winters in Blackey's Cove, thanks to a wonderful uncle. On Redding Lane there was a Natural Spring. I spoke to my mom tonight, who was out taking a drive and went to the spring, only to find out it was no longer there. It is out of operation! What happened? She thinks she was last there a year or so ago.

My mom called me and asked me to post this question. Any insights.....very much appreciated!

Eillac
When testing the spring in the past they often found a high bacteria count. I bet that's why it is gone.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #25
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
The spring is definately gone. I used to vacation in a group of cottages just down the road from Redding Lane on Eagle Shore Road in the late 70's through the 80's and used the well for drinking water. I would say the well/spring has been gone for at least 5 years, if not longer. I drove by the well within the last week or so while checking out the old vacation cottage. The well, like the cottages I used to stay in, are gone.

PS: anyone remember the name of the group of cottages that I'm referring to on Eagle Shore Road? Owned by the Powers family...a cluster of 10-15 yellow cottages? I think they were called the Lantern Cottages or something like that.
The first job I ever had was in 1964. I worked at the cottages you are speaking about. They were called Coach Lantern Terrace. I worked for Mrs. Powers as a chamber maid. I cleaned the cottages and provided clean towels daily etc. When the cottages were taken care of I then helped Mrs. Tower in her house. I made $1.00 an hour. I often received tips from the nice people renting the cottages.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
BlackCatIslander

Default Anderson's Bakery

I am not sure when the Andersons retired and closed the bakery but our family loved their swedish rye bread. On friday evenings when we arrived in Moultonborough we would stop at Andersons and buy several loaves of warm bread. Our children would eat at least one loaf during the remaining 10 minutes before we got to the lake. We all have fond memories of the taste of the warm bread. Someone told me that there is an Anderson's in Worcester believed run by relatives.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

Default Anderson's Bakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander View Post
I am not sure when the Andersons retired and closed the bakery but our family loved their swedish rye bread. On friday evenings when we arrived in Moultonborough we would stop at Andersons and buy several loaves of warm bread. Our children would eat at least one loaf during the remaining 10 minutes before we got to the lake. We all have fond memories of the taste of the warm bread. Someone told me that there is an Anderson's in Worcester believed run by relatives.
I worked at Anderson's Bakery for many summers while I was in high school. The owners, the Anderson's ,were very nice people and the food was great. Luckily I was skinny then because I sure loved to eat all the food they baked. They also made great homemade baked beans. We use to eat bean sandwiches. We use to place the beans in the Anderson's great Parker House rolls. One summer they had a friend's son work at the bakery. The son was related to the owner's of Drakes Cakes.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
ashcoveguy

Default Coach Lantern Terrace

Quote:

Coach Lantern Terrace, owned by Malcolm and Vi Power were the yellow cottages on Eagle Shore and in Ash Cove. I worked for the Power family in 1966/67/68, helping to get the cottages and grounds ready for the upcoming rental season and also worked on Saturdays during the season to help prepare for the next guests.
ashcoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #29
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcoveguy View Post
Coach Lantern Terrace, owned by Malcolm and Vi Power were the yellow cottages on Eagle Shore and in Ash Cove. I worked for the Power family in 1966/67/68, helping to get the cottages and grounds ready for the upcoming rental season and also worked on Saturdays during the season to help prepare for the next guests.
Who was the nice gal that did the linens that year?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #30
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
The last company listing the property was Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage (previously named Preferred Properties) in Moultonborough. You can contact Bob Williams at that office and Bob will be glad to help you, if interested. His contact info is below.....

Bob Williams-CBRB
Cell-603-455-0275
Office-603-253-4345 x145
bob.williams@nemoves.com
The property is listed with Ricker Miller currently.

Office: (603) 253 - 7766 x132
Direct: (603) 253 - 3232
Cell: (603) 455-7705
Fax : (603) 253 - 4609

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote