Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
WeFourSki

Default another GPS question

I've read my share of the posts on GPS brands, pros/cons for Bizer vs. Navionics maps, paper charts, etc, etc. I have one simple question: has anyone been able to get the Bizer maps (or Navionics) loaded and working on a relatively low-cost Garmin GPS? Say <$400? The list of models on the Bizer site leaves a little bit to be desired (actually the entire site does) but I digress.

Bottom line, I'm hoping to land a GPS with Winnipesaukee maps for<$500 and hope someone on here has done it successfully.
I'm trying to avoid handheld (aka- Montana -too small of a screen).

Thanks in advance.
WeFourSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Rich

I have a Garmin GPS (GPSMap 441s) that has the Winnipesaukee Bizer maps on it that came from my older boat. I have the mounts, cables, box, etc.

It works perfectly, and looks brand new. If you may be interested in it, let me know. I have only been hanging on to it as a spare, but have never needed it.

It includes sonar, you just need to add your own transceiver.

Right now it has a cigarette lighter type plug on it so to use as an emergency spare device, but this also allows me to demo it very easily.

If you have any interest, let me know as this would fall right into your price range. I'm always torn between hanging on to this, or selling it.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
DesertDweller

Garmin 53DV. Comes with unit, transducer, and preloaded HD maps (includes Winnipesaukee) for under $400. Pretty tough to beat for that price. A lot of people on this site (including myself) have one.

Can also upgrade to the Ultra HD Maps (Winnipesaukee is one of maximum definition lakes). The chip is around $150 but it's not really necessary.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Woodsy

iPad Mini cellular version (cellular versions have GPS chip) with Navionics app..... throw it in a Lifeproof case and you are good to go!

Woodsy
Tedougherty (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Reilly

Default ??? Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
iPad Mini cellular version (cellular versions have GPS chip) with Navionics app..... throw it in a Lifeproof case and you are good to go!

Woodsy
Could l find my way to Gringos ?😃😃😃
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
Woodsy (05-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
WeFourSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have a Garmin GPS (GPSMap 441s) that has the Winnipesaukee Bizer maps on it that came from my older boat. I have the mounts, cables, box, etc.

It works perfectly, and looks brand new. If you may be interested in it, let me know. I have only been hanging on to it as a spare, but have never needed it.

It includes sonar, you just need to add your own transceiver.

Right now it has a cigarette lighter type plug on it so to use as an emergency spare device, but this also allows me to demo it very easily.

If you have any interest, let me know as this would fall right into your price range. I'm always torn between hanging on to this, or selling it.
Thank you for the consideration, however the screen is a bit too small for these aging eyes.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
WeFourSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Woodsy
I like this idea a lot. Can you tell me why I would need cellular though? All iPads have GPS anyway, as far as I know? Between the GPS and downloaded maps, why would you need anything else?
I appreciate the education.

Ignore my post. A simple google search answered my question. "It is simple. The iPad (mini or otherwise) comes in two versions, wifi-only and wifi+3G/4G. The wifi-only iPad does not have GPS hardware in it. The wifi+3G/4G iPad has GPS hardware.Oct 25, 2012"
Old 05-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Dave R

Garmin has a ton of models that come with Winnipesuakee already loaded. Just look for Lake Vu in the description.

Garmin is also offering a $100 rebate if you buy certain models of their chart plotters and the Lake Vu Ultra HD chip with it. That's an excellent deal.

The Lake Vu Ultra HD chip does auto routing, so you can simply pick a destination and it will take you on the shortest safe route there from wherever you are. It knows which way to go around markers and such.

Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
WeFourSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Garmin has a ton of models that come with Winnipesuakee already loaded. Just look for Lake Vu in the description.

Garmin is also offering a $100 rebate if you buy certain models of their chart plotters and the Lake Vu Ultra HD chip with it. That's an excellent deal.

The Lake Vu Ultra HD chip does auto routing, so you can simply pick a destination and it will take you on the shortest safe route there from wherever you are. It knows which way to go around markers and such.

Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately the rebate was for units purchased in April.
I think I'm going to buy an iPad mini and then the Navionics maps. Then it will double as a GPS on the motorcycle.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeFourSki View Post
I like this idea a lot. Can you tell me why I would need cellular though?
A lot of people don't realize that when using a smart phone, or tablet (no matter if WiFi or a Cellular version), that when using a 'GPS' map that the map itself is loaded online via the WiFi and/or Cellular connection.

If you use a map app that allows you to pre-load the map before you need it, then you are ok. But if you just try to bring up google maps (or something similar) and you are not in range of a cell tower (or a WiFi hotspot), then you won't have access to the maps that you need until you have a functioning data connection.

Often, if you use a dedicated marine type navigation app (such as the Navionics app), it will preload the map (Chart) for your area. You want to ensure to do this BEFORE you head out onto the water.

Then you only need to rely on the GPS signal for knowing your current location, of course this implies that your device actually includes a built in GPS receiver (luckily most Android devices have this. It seems some Apple WiFi only devices may not include a GPS receiver).

The dedicated Marine GPS devices such as a Garmin (or other brands) have the maps (Charts) preloaded internally, or via a plug in 'chip' (CF card, SD card, etc.).

Just keep in mind that the GPS receiver only provides your current location. The map itself is not downloaded via the GPS signal.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
WeFourSki (05-09-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
persistence

What Rich said I've been using navionic on iphone and ipad for about 5 yrs. I boat mainly on salt water, I've used the carribean version too. I like the app and I find the coverage for the lake pretty good.

As an aside, we used an app in EU last summer called maps.me. You download the maps before on wifi, then you can use them without data. Came in handy.
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
Woodsy

WeFourSki...

The only Ipad minis with the GPS chip are the cellular enabled ones... So you need to get one of those... (you don't need acvitate it and get it a cell number) I recommend a Lifeproof case for the iPad to keep it dry. I also use it to stream music to the radio....

If you need a data connection you can always turn your phone into a "hotspot".

Then go to the app store and download the Navionics Boating Marine & Lakes map. Its a $9.99 cost.

Once you get the app on your smartphone/tablet.... In the menu section of the app there is an option to "download Map" to your phone. You make a square over lake Winni and it will physically download that map into your iphone/ipad.

Now you can use the app on the lake without needing that cellular/internet connection that Rich mentioned a post or two above!

I am not a fan of the bolt-in dedicated chartplotters (had a Standard Horizon one that lasted 3 years then quit) but tech changed, it became obsolete and parts weren't available. I have a hard time dropping $300-$500 for tech that will be obsolete...

Woodsy
WeFourSki (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
brk-lnt

West Marine has some good deals on Garmin units right now:
https://www.westmarine.com/outlet/garmin

I just ordered the 74sv for my boat. The transducer alone is worth 80% of the total price.