Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts
Default No Wake

This is how we roll in a no wake zone. And this is after he cut back the throttle.
Attached Images

tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I was getting gas at Winni Marine in the Weirs Channel last week when a rental came plowing through leaving a big wake. I got a kick out of one of the dock attendants who grabbed an air horn and started screaming "NO WAKE" and blasting the air horn at him. The driver never turned his head or slowed down even though he couldn't have missed the blaring air horn.

While I was talking to the attendant about the problem another larger boat came by doing the same thing. He also got the air horn treatment and never turned his head either.

It seems very consistent that the small percentage of captains who ignore the rules also never turn their head or look back. My head is on a swivel when I'm underway.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-27-2018), DRH (08-25-2018), Hillcountry (08-24-2018), Just Sold (08-25-2018), thinkxingu (08-24-2018), tis (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
MDoug

Default No Wake Winni

That air horn would pale in comparison to the yelling from the lady on the point at Y Landing. If you make even a ripple, you'll definitely hear from her
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (08-26-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
Hillcountry

Yup...I’ve seen two rentals from “anchor marine” (name emblazoned on the side of the yellow/white boat) blasting through 2 different NWZs.
Probably the same “older” couple.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
tis

Absolutely, Don. They don't pay attention. I think maybe they don't know (even though there is a sign) so I yell at them too. But I might as well save my breath. Some of them even argue. So many people, like one right now plowing through, just said they thought it was 6 MPH. Dead calm, on a jet ski, and they don't need to make any wake at all. So irritating.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
salty dog

Last week we went twice through the no wake between Eagle and Governors. Each way we couldn't believe the number of boats blasting through like it didn't exist. Today, tied up at Alton Docks for picnic lunch, at least 3 different boats were well above "no wake" sending waves through the docks. Someone gave one of them the air horn but no results. We've been on the lake about 10 years, certainly not as long as many of you, but to me, it definitely is getting worse as time goes on.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

I was just outside of Alton Bay at about 5:30 this afternoon. A pontoon boat on the left was going to intersect my path. I sped up to get out of the way so they didn't collide with my boat. As they passed behind me a woman on the boat waved, but forgot to use 3 of her fingers. I wanted to go back and educate them but sometimes there is no hope.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
8gv

If a photo has enough detail to make out the registration numbers, could/would MP act on it?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #9
Dave R

FWIW, in most places, it's normal to make a small wake in a no wake zone and no one cares. It would be so smart if they simply posted the speed limit of 6 MPH instead of "No Wake". They way the law is written, most Winnipesaukee boats will create a wake in a no wake zone without breaking the law. If you've read the law and still think it means you must go the slowest possible speed your boat can go in a NWZ, you are wrong.

I recently spent a lot of time cruising in Canada and the official (there are many private signs) no wake zone signs there clearly state "10 kph" (6.2 MPH). Everything except for 40 foot+ boats leaves a wake at that speed, but everyone realizes that it's normal and no one cares about the <1 foot wakes. I was also in NY waters on the same cruise, and there the signs say 5 MPH. The wakes are smaller, but still present at that speed.

Going 3 MPH in NH to avoid making a ripple is just silly when you can legally go 6 MPH. This might be why people just ignore the air horns and yelling, they might have GPS and know that they are not breaking the law. This is especially true if they are going against some current, the wakes, in that case, can be substantial without breaking the law.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-27-2018), Reilly (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #10
ApS

Cool When Yelling Doesn't Help...

"Royalty-Free Stock Photo" https://tinyurl.com/y8xn8nuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Absolutely, Don. They don't pay attention. I think maybe they don't know (even though there is a sign) so I yell at them too. But I might as well save my breath. Some of them even argue. So many people, like one right now plowing through, just said they thought it was 6 MPH. Dead calm, on a jet ski, and they don't need to make any wake at all. So irritating.
Maybe start a GoFundMe site for a seasonal employee?
Get a tan—meet people—learn sign language?

Isn't "presentation" everything?

>
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2018, 05:21 AM   #11
tis

It would NOT be smart to simply post the speed limit of 6 MPH because that is NOT the law. The law is NO WAKE. This is not Canada and this is not NY waters. This is lake Winnipesaukee. The only exception to no wake is if you will lose control of your boat by going a slower speed and believe me there is usually not enough current on Winnpesaukee to need to go 6 MPH, at least in most NO WAKE areas on most occasions. I have been told by Marine Patrol that the NH law that many misunderstand, was written for the ocean and the MP here does not like it. The can and do give people tickets and if the ticket gets contested and somebody goes to court the judge will back the MP. I think the MP needs to publicly get this information out to the public since some apparently don't understand the law. I still don't know why people are in such a hurry anyway. And if they don't like the no wake law and need to make waves stay out of of the zones.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-25-2018), bostique (08-26-2018), FlyingScot (08-25-2018), Hillcountry (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
MikeF-NH

two years ago I had my then-new boat docked at Channel Cottages (which is a fantastic place to stay by the way and none of this is their fault) in late Spring and watched a constant barrage hit my boat at the dock from waking boats there were not even going reasonably slow enough to just maintain control. The wakes were substantial and I watched my poor boat getting slammed against the dock so hard that even the bumpers provided no protection. My boat took damage to the paint that weekend in several places and unfortunately for both me and the business owner...I can't go back due to knowing what goes on there. These jerks costed me damage to my boat and caused the owner business.

Most disappointing (and I'm a huge supporter of emergency response personel) was watching a fire boat go through at probably 10-15 mph kicking up a two foot wake with no lights on. I watched them go down to where Paugus begins to open and stop and sit there for about 10 minutes so it was clear they were not responding to an emergency.

I would love to see MP just post a camera there where they could capture bow numbers and video evidence including pictures of the captain and proceed to gather enough funding through fines to pay salaries of all state wide MPs each year. I'm guessing from my observations that they could gather 100+ fines each weekend day...maybe more. Think of the revenue...and the education!!! If they wanted to be fair about it they could even post a sign near the bridge saying "Wakes monitored and enforced by camera".
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-25-2018), DBreskin (09-05-2018), FlyingScot (08-25-2018), gravy boat (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post

Most disappointing (and I'm a huge supporter of emergency response personel) was watching a fire boat go through at probably 10-15 mph kicking up a two foot wake with no lights on. I watched them go down to where Paugus begins to open and stop and sit there for about 10 minutes so it was clear they were not responding to an emergency.
You cannot know that they were not responding to an emergency, and I doubt they would run the Channel at speed just for fun.

Many emergency vehicles, police, fire, ambulance, enroute to a call might be the second or third due at that incident. When the first or subsequent vehicle arrives and determines that additional help is not needed, and the situation is under control, a radio call is made to cancel the additional response. That happens quite often, every day.

For years people have erroneusly commented when an emergency vehicle passes them at a higher rate of speed and then slows down and shuts off the emergency lights that they must be on the way to the coffee shop. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
tis

I hear ya', Mike and it erodes the shore line as well as the boats and docks. Even if it is not a NO WAKE area, they should slow down. I think cameras is a great idea!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I don't think there will ever be a solution to bonehead capt's
I gave up and got mooring whips.
The other day my jet ski's got blown right off the beach from a big wake....luckily they were tethered.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #16
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
It would NOT be smart to simply post the speed limit of 6 MPH because that is NOT the law. The law is NO WAKE. This is not Canada and this is not NY waters. This is lake Winnipesaukee. The only exception to no wake is if you will lose control of your boat by going a slower speed and believe me there is usually not enough current on Winnpesaukee to need to go 6 MPH, at least in most NO WAKE areas on most occasions. I have been told by Marine Patrol that the NH law that many misunderstand, was written for the ocean and the MP here does not like it. The can and do give people tickets and if the ticket gets contested and somebody goes to court the judge will back the MP. I think the MP needs to publicly get this information out to the public since some apparently don't understand the law. I still don't know why people are in such a hurry anyway. And if they don't like the no wake law and need to make waves stay out of of the zones.

Actually, and unfortunately (I live in a NW zone) you are wrong. I believe that the law is written something like the slowest you can go to maintain control or 6mph. The unfortunate thing is this has been interpreted by enforcement to mean a max speed of 6 mph. I believe this is a misinterpretation of the legislations intent but, what do I know. If they had added “the slower of” or “not to exceed” we wouldn’t have these issues.

In 1983 I was exiting the Weirs channel at what I thought was no wake speed. An MP near the end of the channel yelled at me to slow down. I yelled back that I was going no wake speed. He yelled back, “Turn around. Do you see white? If you see white you are making a wake!” That has stuck with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
It would NOT be smart to simply post the speed limit of 6 MPH because that is NOT the law. The law is NO WAKE.
The law does not address wakes at all, but it does give a very specific speed.

Here it is:

TITLE XXII NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS
Section 270-D:1

"VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way. "

"VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed. "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-27-2018), noreast (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #18
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The law does not address wakes at all, but it does give a very specific speed.

Here it is:

TITLE XXII NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS
Section 270-D:1

"VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way. "

"VIII. "No wake area" means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed. "
But if 6 mph is obviously, causing a wake it’s just too fast.
Headway speed is simply being able to make forward progress without going backwards (sometimes in a wicked current, you might be exceeding 6 but you need to do what it takes to keep moving ahead) no such currents exist on Winni save for the spring current toward Paugus.
Simple, really.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #19
Woodsy

NO Wake/Headway is 6 MPH regardless of how much wake your boat puts out at that speed. The law is written as such that you can EXCEED 6MPH if conditions warrant it.

Woodsy
Old 08-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #20
noreast

A 6 MPH wake is not going to affect anyone's day. I don't think a large cruiser at 6 MPH could cause any real issues, could it?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
Woody38

My boat at idle goes faster than most others, therefore I have to go to neutral.
Then I don't have headway and am constantly going in and out of gear in these conditions when there is a lot of traffic. Not good.

---------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
A 6 MPH wake is not going to affect anyone's day. I don't think a large cruiser at 6 MPH could cause any real issues, could it?
To some shore front owners it's like a tsunami that caused a seismic like wave.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #23
ApS

Question Speaking of "White"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
To some shore front owners it's like a tsunami that caused a seismic like wave.
When a cruiser passed by at top speed Monday, I was thinking that his wake shouldn't be too bad.

"Education" tells us that plowing produces more wake—which can also be attributed to "trim"—an equivalent affront to shorelines.

Even a quarter-mile away, his wake came crashing down on our shoreline. "Surf's Up!"

It's a good thing we're not at Spring's highest water level, or more silt would be severely eroded from shore—all the way to Meredith!

Attached Images

Old 08-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #24
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
When a cruiser passed by at top speed Monday, I was thinking that his wake shouldn't be too bad.

"Education" tells us that plowing produces more wake—which can also be attributed to "trim"—an equivalent affront to shorelines.

Even a quarter-mile away, his wake came crashing down on our shoreline. "Surf's Up!"

It's a good thing we're not at Spring's highest water level, or more silt would be severely eroded from shore—all the way to Meredith!
Wow..that wave must have wiped out all the homes on that shore line.
My heart goes out to all the owners of these homes that this wave totally destroyed.
Cal Coon (08-28-2018), Reilly (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #25
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Wow..that wave must have wiped out all the homes on that shore line.
My heart goes out to all the owners of these homes that this wave totally destroyed.
Always with the sarcasm. Why? He is just pointing out that larger wakes can cause erosion.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #26
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Always with the sarcasm. Why? He is just pointing out that larger wakes can cause erosion.
Ignore my comments if it bothers you that much.

APS and I go back a long way, he can pretty much defend himself.

Have a good day & don't let me bother you so much.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #27
ApS

Red face We Are A L L Going to Need Bigger Boats...

Quote:
Wow..that wave must have wiped out all the homes on that shore line. My heart goes out to all the owners of these homes that this wave totally destroyed.
1) As previously posted, the cruiser can be seen to be going fast, which is a factor in producing a reduced wake—so we are told.

Indeed, in the photo below, the wake that struck the shore appears innocuous. Note the cruiser's wake coursing across the center of the photograph, as indicated by the two x's. Although a small wake, it is cresting between the x's—never a good sign.

2) The lake is approaching year-end's lowest level. Had this cruiser's "modest" wake struck at "full-pond", more soil (and Phosphorus) would have been released, more trees (and boulders) would fall into the lake, and more survey markers would be found in the lake.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #28
Cal Coon

Quote:
1) As previously posted, the cruiser can be seen to be going fast, which is a factor in producing a reduced wake—so we are told.

Indeed, in the photo below, the wake that struck the shore appears innocuous. Note the cruiser's wake coursing across the center of the photograph, as indicated by the two x's. Although a small wake, it is cresting between the x's—never a good sign.

2) The lake is approaching year-end's lowest level. Had this cruiser's "modest" wake struck at "full-pond", more soil (and Phosphorus) would have been released, more trees (and boulders) would fall into the lake, and more survey markers would be found in the lake.
This is a joke, right? So who's fault is it when the wind kicks up the white caps?? Do those waves cause the same amount of damage as the waves that are caused by gas and oil?? Or is it just the waves caused by gas and oil that do the damage?? You have got to be kidding me. I'm going to have to side with Rusty on this one... Where are the surfers??? Man, they missed a big one!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:
About a week ago we were returning to the Weirs after fishing on a day that had become extremely windy. I took the route closest to mainland which was between Locke’s and the Glendale area. On the other side of the narrows there was some kind of sailing club out sailing. They had watch boats with them to act as a safety net in case of any capsized sailors. One of the sailboats was actually capsized due to the heavy winds and was being taken care of by a watch boat. I maneuvered through them at headway speed giving plenty of room to the sailboats when I spot this huge cruiser heading out from (I think it’s Fay’s marina after passing west of Locke’s).
This was a 40 foot plus behemoth and he was plowing along making a huge wake. That idiot sailed right into the mass of sailboats without slowing and actually caused one to nearly capsize by cutting so close to it (less than 20 ft). We couldn’t believe our eyes. If I was to guess his speed I’ll bet it was under 10 mph. So yes, a wake can cause havoc at slower speeds. He may not have been going 6 but he may as well have been going 20. We were hoping the watch boat got his name or numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
noreast (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
About a week ago we were returning to the Weirs after fishing on a day that had become extremely windy. I took the route closest to mainland which was between Locke’s and the Glendale area. On the other side of the narrows there was some kind of sailing club out sailing. They had watch boats with them to act as a safety net in case of any capsized sailors. One of the sailboats was actually capsized due to the heavy winds and was being taken care of by a watch boat. I maneuvered through them at headway speed giving plenty of room to the sailboats when I spot this huge cruiser heading out from (I think it’s Fay’s marina after passing west of Locke’s).
This was a 40 foot plus behemoth and he was plowing along making a huge wake. That idiot sailed right into the mass of sailboats without slowing and actually caused one to nearly capsize by cutting so close to it (less than 20 ft). We couldn’t believe our eyes. If I was to guess his speed I’ll bet it was under 10 mph. So yes, a wake can cause havoc at slower speeds. He may not have been going 6 but he may as well have been going 20. We were hoping the watch boat got his name or numbers.
A 40 foot cruiser at 6 MPH won't make any appreciable wake.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #31
kawishiwi

Quote:
A 40 foot cruiser at 6 MPH won't make any appreciable wake.
I do not believe you have faintest idea what you are talking about. I was over a hundred yards away from 30+ ft cruiser today, probably doing about 6, and it threw enough wake I had to scramble to turn my boat into it so I didnt get rocked from gunwale to gunwale.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I do not believe you have faintest idea what you are talking about. I was over a hundred yards away from 30+ ft cruiser today, probably doing about 6, and it threw enough wake I had to scramble to turn my boat into it so I didnt get rocked from gunwale to gunwale.
Agreed--we were almost swamped twice by mid/high 30's Carvers last year on our 20' 'toon while going through "no wake" zones.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #33
Dave R

Quote:
I actually have a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about. Here's the deal, the "hull speed" (the fastest the boat can go over water before it starts to plow or climb on plane) of a boat is dependent on the length at waterline. The equation is: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL). Thus, the longer the hull the faster the hull speed is. While there are certainly other factors that affect wake and true hull speed, for a given speed under hull speed, a longer boat will make less wake than a shorter boat if they have similar hull designs.

When boat operate at 2/3 of hull speed or less, they make practically no wake at all. 40 foot boats would typically have a 35 to 38 foot LWL, thus their hull speed will be around 8 knots (9.3 MPH). At 6 MPH, they are clearly running at less than 2/3 of hull speed (6.2 MPH) and not making more than a minor ripple.

The hull speed of a 10 foot PWC (assuming 9 feet LWL) is 4.6 MPH. At 6 MPH they are plowing like crazy and throwing a good size wake, pretty much like the photo in the first post on this thread...

Here's a really neat white paper on wakes, if you like physics: https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/...ake-151014.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
tis (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
kawishiwi

Default So...

Quote:
I actually have a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about. Here's the deal, the "hull speed" (the fastest the boat can go over water before it starts to plow or climb on plane) of a boat is dependent on the length at waterline. The equation is: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL). Thus, the longer the hull the faster the hull speed is. While there are certainly other factors that affect wake and true hull speed, for a given speed under hull speed, a longer boat will make less wake than a shorter boat if they have similar hull designs.

When boat operate at 2/3 of hull speed or less, they make practically no wake at all. 40 foot boats would typically have a 35 to 38 foot LWL, thus their hull speed will be around 8 knots (9.3 MPH). At 6 MPH, they are clearly running at less than 2/3 of hull speed (6.2 MPH) and not making more than a minor ripple.

The hull speed of a 10 foot PWC (assuming 9 feet LWL) is 4.6 MPH. At 6 MPH they are plowing like crazy and throwing a good size wake, pretty much like the photo in the first post on this thread...

Here's a really neat white paper on wakes, if you like physics: https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/...ake-151014.pdf
...I stand corrected.
What low speed does a, say, 35 ft cruiser need to go to throw a wake that breaks on itself 100 yards away?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #35
Woodsy

Quote:
That happened because a boat wake is a transfer of energy.... it takes a lot of energy to push a 15,000 lb+ cruiser thru the water. This energy transfer is what gives the wake amplitude/energy and can potentially cause damage.

Woodsy
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Dave knows more about boats and boating than pretty much anyone I know.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-31-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #37
ApS

Question What LEOs Allow?

Quote:
Law enforcement might allow a 10% "over", so 6.6-MPH rounded-off to 7-MPH should be good.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #38
tis

Quote:
Law enforcement might allow a 10% "over", so 6.6-MPH rounded-off to 7-MPH should be good.

>
APS, you don't get it. It's not about the speed. It's about the wake your boat is throwing out.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #39
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Marine Patrol

It is true that the statutes regarding Headway speed vs No wake appears to be one and the same. 6 mph or a speed to maintain steerage. Yet some LEOs interpret a different way. The size of the wake!

If you have a judge that goes by the law and one get cited for creating a wake then the judge will throw out the conviction if the person is traveling 6 mph. If the person claims he must travel over 6 mph to maintain steerage, this is where the judge have to make a decision. All boats have different speed to maintain steerage and outside influence such as current, wind etc. must also come into consideration. So do your homework.

Unfortunately the local courts almost always side with marine patrol, so it's a no win situation unless you can justify and prove your speed!

In my travels to other states, the signage makes sense. Headway speed signs in channels and passages. No wake signs in designated areas where there should be no wake. In NH there is now such thing as a 'Headway speed' area. In passages or channels it's no wake.

Tough to pick your battles and to educate the public in NH.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #40
Woodsy

Wow... So much wrong information...

The law defining Headway speed is absolute... you are allowed up to 6 MPH before you need to perhaps explain yourself to the MP. When the law was written, the NH legislature, knew that different boats need different speeds to maintain steerage, and that conditions such as current & wind can vary those numbers substantially. The law was written (just like the nighttime speed limit) such that the overwhelming majority of boats do not need to exceed 6MPH in normal conditions to maintain steerage, however, unlike the speed limit, there is a provision in the law that allows you to EXCEED the 6mph should the conditions warrant it.

A boat ALWAYS makes a wake as it moves thru and displaces the water (its a simple energy transfer) that's just physics. So while at 6MPH while you might actually make a visible wake, there is very little wave energy in that wake so no damage is done.

I have no problem at all going thru a NWZ at 5.5MPH on my GPS...

Woodsy
Old 08-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #41
Dave R

Quote:
But if 6 mph is obviously, causing a wake it’s just too fast.
Is it though? No boat is going to make a damaging wake at 6 MPH unless it's in a fast current. If there is a fast current, it won't be the first time, so anyone that docks a boat on a stretch of water with a potential for fast current needs to plan for wakes. Realistically, you should plan for wakes no matter where you dock. Fenders exist for a reason.

Quote:
Headway speed is simply being able to make forward progress without going backwards (sometimes in a wicked current, you might be exceeding 6 but you need to do what it takes to keep moving ahead) no such currents exist on Winni save for the spring current toward Paugus.
Simple, really.
Yes, that is simple (and eloquent too), but it's your definition of headway speed, not the state's definition. That state is quite clear on this: "VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way. ".
Old 08-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #42
Hillcountry

Quote:
Is it though? No boat is going to make a damaging wake at 6 MPH unless it's in a fast current. If there is a fast current, it won't be the first time, so anyone that docks a boat on a stretch of water with a potential for fast current needs to plan for wakes. Realistically, you should plan for wakes no matter where you dock. Fenders exist for a reason.

Yes, that is simple (and eloquent too), but it's your definition of headway speed, not the state's definition. That state is quite clear on this: "VI. "Headway speed" means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way. ".
If you’re going 6 through the channel you’re going to get yelled at...
Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #43
tis

And headway speed means 6MPH or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

So what is hard to understand about that? 6 MPH or the slowest speed does not mean JUST 6MPH.

All I can say Woodsy is you do just what you want to do. But you deserve to be caught.

As Real Big Guy said per Marine Patrol: Turn around and look and see if you are making a wake.

I would like to educate not start an argument. But some people are so sure of themselves--- it just isn't worth it.

And I do wonder if the new breed of MP is as knowledgeable as they used to be. So maybe you will get away with doing what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
noreast

Quote:
Yell back, Or make a poster that say's " I'm going 6 MPH". You could add an FU if you feel the need.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #45
Reilly

Default Channel

Quote:
Only by one person 😊😊😊
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #46
The Real BigGuy

I find that wake size @ 6 mph is very dependent upon the boat hull. A personal watercraft at 6 mph can throw a pretty good size wake; a pontoon throws very little; one brand of 20 ft runabout might throw a wake where another brand might not. It really all gets back to thinking about the other boats and storefront property as much as you think about yourself. Doesn’t matter if you think headway is 6mph or slower. Do you really need to save that extra 180 seconds by exceeding headway speed and causing issues for others?

#Look behind you - if you see white you are creating a wake.

tis (08-27-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #47
The Real BigGuy

I agree with your approach. The speedometer on one boat doesn’t work and on the other boat it doesn’t register below 8 or 9 mph. As I’ve said before, I live in a NWZ. I don’t care how fast a boat is going as long as it is not generating a wake wave that has the potential to damage my boats or shoreline.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #48
The Real BigGuy

I believe the mph limit in “headway” refers to speed your boat can maintain steerage in the water/wind condition it is in. If I can maintain steerage at 3 mph in still water and I move to a 3 mph current I will need to go faster than 3 mph to maintain steerage because no boat will be able to continually maintain a heading 180 degrees to a current. As soon as it falls off it looses steerage. Same in a following current. Common sense, but that will never stop some from twisting it to fit their argument. And by the way, if you don’t want to spend the time going thru a no wake zone properly, go around it. If you can’t go around it, enjoy the slow ride.

Hillcountry (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #49
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

You got it Woodsy. 134 posts about something so simple if people just use common sense.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #50
KDL

Two rules,

1) Don't make a wake in a "No Wake Zone"

2) Don't do anything bad.

That was easy.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDL For This Useful Post:
Dave R (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #51
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
Two rules,

1) Don't make a wake in a "No Wake Zone"

2) Don't do anything bad.

That was easy.
3) Stay home, pull the shades, hide in the house, have no fun.

That sums up life in the “Live Free or Die” state.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #52
TiltonBB

So........................If your boat can go through the Weirs Channel and leave no wake at 1/2 MPH should you do that?

And, if you look behind you and the substantially different sized/configuration/hull design boat following you is having great difficulty steering and maintaining control at your "safe speed" should you speed up to allow the vessel behind you to maintain safe control?

Are you guilty of a violation of law?

What will you do?

How many boaters are smart enough or aware enough to realize they are causing a problem for the boats behind them?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #53
kawishiwi

Default What does it matter...

...if no one is enforcing it? I've been on the lake most weekends for 4 years. I dont go into the big traffic areas like the Weirs and I am most often out from dawn to maybe noon or 5ish till dark. I have yet to see ANY enforcement of ANY type, period. I am not hiding way up in out of the way places either and I can almost count on one hand how many times I've even seen the M.P. in 4 years.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #54
Dave R

Quote:
...if no one is enforcing it? I've been on the lake most weekends for 4 years. I dont go into the big traffic areas like the Weirs and I am most often out from dawn to maybe noon or 5ish till dark. I have yet to see ANY enforcement of ANY type, period. I am not hiding way up in out of the way places either and I can almost count on one hand how many times I've even seen the M.P. in 4 years.

From what I've seen on Winnipesaukee lately, wake violations need to be egregious to get any law enforcement attention. That's also what I've noticed elsewhere boating in the northeast for years, so perhaps it's just spreading into Winni from the rest of the region. Winnipesaukee is the only place I've ever boated where people get really upset over wakes that would not raise an eyebrow anywhere else.

In all the other places I've boated, "no wake" essentially means "don't plane" and "don't plow"; except in the case of small boats like a RIB dinghy, they can go as fast as they want to, anywhere without anyone caring... I don't know why dinghy drivers get such relaxed rules, but it's probably because at worst, they don't make much of a wake. Picture yourself cruising along at idle speed in the no wake zone in Meredith or Weirs Beach and having a dinghy pass you at 20 MPH in plain view of marine patrol without any reaction. That's normal outside of Winnipesaukee. Imagine the uproar here if that really happened, some people would lose their minds.

FWIW, I've been boating on Winni for decades and have never been stopped for a no-wake violation (on Winni or anywhere else except Costa Rica where it was unclear that it was a no wake zone, no ticket, just a verbal warning). I just adjust speed for conditions (in other words, don't stand out), and all is good.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #55
Bizer

Quote:
... I do not see why it would mean you could only go 1MPH though. ...
Because that's what the law would dictate if your boat could maintain steerage way at one mile per hour, then that is your maximum speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think hovercraft and others have no wake, and are registered as vessels, so with this change they can go through the channel at 45 mph?
No. As written, the law is purely a function of the speed. The size of the wake is not considered.

Quote:
... my point being we don’t need to pigeonhole the wording to include any speed. Just MAKE NO WAKE! How freakin’ hard is this to comprehend??
Any boat movement creates a wave. If the wave is 1mm high (the thickness of a dime), we call it a ripple. If the wave is 150mm high (6"), we call it a wake. At what point does a ripple become a wake? If you say 76mm, how does one measure it?

FYI: Here is my "wake" in a 20 foot Four Winns. The GPS said 5.7 MPH. My minimum steerage way speed is about 3 MPH.
Attached Images

Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
DEJ (09-26-2018), Little Bear (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #56
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Because that's what the law would dictate if your boat could maintain steerage way at one mile per hour, then that is your maximum speed.

No. As written, the law is purely a function of the speed. The size of the wake is not considered.

Any boat movement creates a wave. If the wave is 1mm high (the thickness of a dime), we call it a ripple. If the wave is 150mm high (6"), we call it a wake. At what point does a ripple become a wake? If you say 76mm, how does one measure it?

FYI: Here is my "wake" in a 20 foot Four Winns. The GPS said 5.7 MPH. My minimum steerage way speed is about 3 MPH.
That wake looks about the size wake that a duck would make.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #57
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
And to Dave R's point, there are many on this lake that would yell at the "offending" operator from land.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #58
MDoug

Default Wake Watchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
And to Dave R's point, there are many on this lake that would yell at the "offending" operator from land.
Very true of the lady on the point at Y Landing, yelling and flailing arms
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #59
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Yeah...that doesn’t equate with 5.7 mph in my experience. My toon makes a much more substantial wake at that speed...your 20 footer must glide like a goose!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #60
iw8surf

Quote:
Yeah...that doesn’t equate with 5.7 mph in my experience. My toon makes a much more substantial wake at that speed...your 20 footer must glide like a goose!

You can't compare a toon wake at 5.7 mph to a bowrider wake at 5.7 mph. Apples to oranges.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #61
tis

Hill, isn't it nice we have so many lawyers on here who think they know so much?For some reason they will say anything to justify making a wake.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #62
DEJ

Quote:
Hill, isn't it nice we have so many lawyers on here who think they know so much?For some reason they will say anything to justify making a wake.
No lawyer is needed to understand the law as it is currently written.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #63
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
You can't compare a toon wake at 5.7 mph to a bowrider wake at 5.7 mph. Apples to oranges.
Yes, I know...a bow riders wake, along with any v-hull makes a greater wake than a lowly toon. This fact has been borne out numerous times on this forum that toons make very little wake compared to the v-hull boats. Look it up.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #64
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
So........................If your boat can go through the Weirs Channel and leave no wake at 1/2 MPH should you do that?

And, if you look behind you and the substantially different sized/configuration/hull design boat following you is having great difficulty steering and maintaining control at your "safe speed" should you speed up to allow the vessel behind you to maintain safe control?

Are you guilty of a violation of law?

What will you do?

How many boaters are smart enough or aware enough to realize they are causing a problem for the boats behind them?

That is easy to answer. Few operators look behind them period. Not for boats gaining on them, not to see if they are making a wake.