Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
TB12Forever

Default Pond Hockey Classic 2020

I know we are a few weeks out from the 2020 PHC, but wanted to see if anybody believes there will be issues with the ice being properly frozen for this years tournament? It's one of my favorite winter wknds at the lake, but judging by the weather in Boston it feels like maybe we should start to worry a little bit?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
TB12Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
stingray

I did a search for a web cam for Meredith Bay for the same concern and came up empty? Can anyone point to a site?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I did a search for a web cam for Meredith Bay for the same concern and came up empty? Can anyone point to a site?

As of last weekend there was some open water on Meredith Bay. The weather this week into next doesn't look like it's going to be cold enough.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
AC2717

did a search yesterday for a cam, I was very surprised not to be able to find one.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
PCTim

I've been searching for a few years for a cam pointed at Meredith Bay, no luck. After this weekend it looks like the weather is going to turn. Hope there's enough time.
Name:  Capture-1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  53.7 KB
PCTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #6
stingray

Can anyone post pictures of Meredith Bay and Lake Waukewan? Half my team is coming from Florida. I want to let them know if they should pack life jackets in their hockey bags. Iím hoping there already is a layer of ice and it is now building thickness with the cold weather in the forecast. The wind in MA prevented a freeze over last night on much smaller ponds.

stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Can anyone post pictures of Meredith Bay and Lake Waukewan? Half my team is coming from Florida. I want to let them know if they should pack life jackets in their hockey bags. I’m hoping there already is a layer of ice and it is now building thickness with the cold weather in the forecast. The wind in MA prevented a freeze over last night on much smaller ponds.

Two weeks ago Waukewan was frozen over but Meredith Bay still had some open water. With all the warm weather I'm sure it's not anymore but we are going to have a streak of cold weather now so Waukewan should be good. We'll have to wait and see about Meredith Bay.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #8
joey2665

I would hate to make assumptions especially with players coming all the way from Florida. I am sure one nice forum member can pass by both and post some photos. I would but will not be up until late next week.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #9
AC2717

its happening either or Waukewan or the bay, Me thinks they are trying to hold onto Meredith as long as possible before having to make the decision to move it. and I hope they wait up until the last minute it is so much better out on the bay

I was told by a source that the bay had 4-5 inches in most spots earlier in the week, and there is not enough open water for the wind to break up and with the cold we should be good to go

just still might be open water near Eagle Island down near the weirs
Biggd (Yesterday), GregW11 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
its happening either or Waukewan or the bay, Me thinks they are trying to hold onto Meredith as long as possible before having to make the decision to move it. and I hope they wait up until the last minute it is so much better out on the bay

I was told by a source that the bay had 4-5 inches in most spots earlier in the week, and there is not enough open water for the wind to break up and with the cold we should be good to go

They hold out as long as possible but significant snow shortens the window as there is more prep time of the rinks
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post

If the bay is locked in and has 4-5Ē as you say, I cannot see why the hockey tournament would not occur there. Itís brutally cold out now and for the next week anyway which will certainly drastically increase ice thickness in a short time!

Dan
Biggd (Yesterday)