Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Jumbie98

Default Helmet Bluetooth communicators?

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for helmet communicators that are reliable and not crazy expensive?
Jumbie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Belmont Resident

Default Check old threads

This subject has been brought up in past years you may want to do a search.
I could be wrong but I believe they are pricy and work line of sight, which means if you are over a rise or around a corner you may not have reception.
During most winters my wife and I ride over 3500 miles in Maine and we have never seen the need for communicators. Now ear buds and music, that is another thing.
We did consider it once but now I'm glad we didn't, the reason is given how easily distracted we are just talking on a cell phones it only makes sense there could be some distraction.
Trees even at slow speeds hurt, I've been there. (mechanical failure, not human error)
Jumbie98 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Lakepilot

My wife and I bought Nolan Helmets 2 years ago at the Helmet Shop in Daytona while at bike week. We use them all the time and love them. We both ride motorcycles and the ability to talk among bikes is fantastic. When we're riding together she can tell me she wants to stop or continue etc. When we ride in a group, she'll ride lead and I'll pull up the tail. That way if someone has a problem, I can tell her.

The comm device is made by n-Com, and fits right in the helmet. In addition to allowing me to talk to her, my phone is bluetoothed to us. If I hit a button on the side of the helmet, only I hear the conversation. People literally don't know I'm on a motorcycle when I answer the phone.

The disadvantage to these com devices is that they work only with Nolan helmets. On the other hand Nolan helmets are incredibly comfortable.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
Jumbie98 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnisquamguy

We use Collett Communicators and never had a problem with them. I have switched helmets with them and they work just find. They were the best in the business when we bought ours probably 7-8 years ago not sure what the new ones are like but pretty much everyone was using Collett back then.
Jumbie98 (12-24-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Helmet Communicators

I use the Cardo Scala Riders. Once you use these types of devices you will ask why you did not try this sooner. It changes the entire experience. No more stopping at junctions etc. My son was driving his sled and I was up ahead and he went off the trail and hit a tree and he was able to tell me via the communicators and I was able to turn around immediately. He went unconsious so every second counted and had I not had these headsets I may not have noticed so quickly. They are bluetooth so yes you can listen to music and answer your phone while riding. Its pretty cool! I also just got a GPS with trailmapping installed. I just mounted the GPS on my sled and I'm just waiting for enough snow in Laes Region!! Merry Christmas!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Hubbard Rd For This Useful Post:
Jumbie98 (12-25-2012), Winnisquamguy (12-25-2012)
Sponsored Links