Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Impossible NH-DMV driver's license renewal

Getting a driver's license renewal with the NH-DMV, the New Hampshire Division Motor Vehicles, has become like trying to get a date with a very good looking, attractive woman, who simply does not want to communicate with me. It's like an impossible situation.

Since about March 15, due to the necessity of safety brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, the NH-DMV has closed their DMV office in Tamworth on Route 16. From the lakes region, the closest DMV offices for license renewal are in Twin Mountain, one hour north, and Concord, one hour south.

An appointment is required and one cannot just go to these two locations without an appointment. My problem is that I recently dropped my one and only telephone, a Tracfone flipfone into the lake and replacing it is not possible because there are no new phones to buy. Yesterday, I drove around to all three Walmarts in Pymouth, Gilford, and Tilton, plus the two Rite Aids in Meredith and Plymouth, and all five different stores are sold out of the $19.88 flip-fone and do not know when any new ones will be arriving.

So, with no flip-fone, I cannot call the NH-DMV, and these two offices in Twin Mountain and Concord do not accept walk-ins.

I sent the Concord DMV an email asking to get an appointment and explained about my fone situation and two days later got a return email telling me to phone them for an appointment.

Every four years, the NH driver's license expires and it becomes time to get it renewed and unfortunately, this pandemic year is my year.

Now, if only there was still such a thing as a pay phone where, once upon a time, you could drop a dime into the slot and make a call, or talk to that very helpful phone operator from New England Telephone ....... we're the one for you New England ....... New England Telephone!

If someone from the NH DMV actually sees this thread, please contact me via this thread so's I can get a date and a time for my license renewal in either Twin Mountain or Concord ...... thank-you. ...... ....... like I said, my prospects are not too good, just like trying to get a date with a really good looking woman ....... lots-o-luck, buddy!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 AM   #2
jeffk

Default Modern times

I renewed mine online in May with minimum muss or fuss, no COVID worries, and no phone tag. You obviously have computer access since you are on the forum. They will even use your last, younger photo, before you started going bald. Computer dating is all the rage, you know. Just remember, her photo is probably "adjusted" as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
fatlazyless

I emailed them a message and they emailed back, telling me to phone for an appointment probably because I have a cdl-a w/tanker license & mc that I do not need since all I ever drive is a beat up, Scion xB.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
TCC

Surely someone you know would let you use their phone for a few minutes to call and make an appointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
longislander

Your CDL-A might be a issue, especially if you also have the Hazmat endorsement. The Hazmat retests, and the fingerprinting and into the database (FBI I think) may require live updates.

I gave up my CDL-A with all endorsements (except, bus), after fully retiring. After getting out of the corporate world, after divorce, spent close to 5 years OTR trucking.

Driver Licensing > Commercial Driver License > Hazmat Endorsement

Applicants for a Hazmat endorsement must pass a Hazardous Materials knowledge test to obtain or renew the endorsement. In addition, applicants are required to receive a Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) Fingerprint Clearance before applying for or renewing the endorsement.

Steps to Apply for or Renew a Hazmat Endorsement

1. Before coming the DMV, you must pre-register for a TSA Clearance by registering online at the Hazprints Website or contact a Hazprints representative by telephone at (855) 347-8371.

2. Fingerprints for a Hazmat endorsement may be taken at any Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) location; however, these services are not available on state holidays.

3. The TSA will mail the results of the fingerprint assessment to you normally within 30 days. Once you receive your notification in the mail, you are eligible to apply for the endorsement at the DMV.

4. Take the 30 question Hazmat Knowledge test. Please prepare for the test by studying the appropriate sections of the NH Commercial Driver ManualAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbol.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...ial/hazmat.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Just turned age-69 and the only vehicle I need or want to drive, and need it very very much, is my 2013 beat-up Scion xB with 208k miles, still runn'n the 'riginal four spark plugs.

Irwin Hyundai in Laconia would only give me a $300 trade-in value towards a used Kia Soul for about $7000, plus $700-dealer prep, and this Scion is still a good, 70-mph local hgwy driver, which is all I do, and has excellent car safety rating so maybe it will go to 300k miles ..... time will tell .... plus it's a 5-speed stick ..... not easy to find, today.

Whether I drive a big tanker truck haul'n 9200-gallons of gasoline or just a small compact car, it requires a NH driver's license ..... and no driv'n trucks for me.

I suppose I can email my older sister down in Mass and ask her to phone the NH-DMV to get me a license appointment for either Twin Mt or Concord ...... which is what I'll do.

Maybe the Walmart in Littleton NH on RT-93 has a $19.88 Tracfone flip-phone?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I renewed mine online in May with minimum muss or fuss, no COVID worries, and no phone tag. You obviously have computer access since you are on the forum. They will even use your last, younger photo, before you started going bald. Computer dating is all the rage, you know. Just remember, her photo is probably "adjusted" as well.
Problem is, is that the DMV does not have a photo on file with his flip phone up to his head. And ya know, there ain’t no flip phones in them thare stores.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
pondguy

FLL try Hannaford thats where i bought my flip phone
Old 10-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Winilyme

I think, not so subliminally, the real issue here is your inability to get a date with a good-looking woman. For that, I’m afraid, there’s probably no solution.

You could try a dating site but I suggest leaving out any mention of your beat-up old Scion or your infatuation with pool noodles. I also wouldn’t encourage any prospects to check out your 7,000 Winni Forum posts.

Just trying to be helpful, a-yuh
Old 10-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
You could try a dating site
Just trying to be helpful, a-yuh
farmersonly.com if you are seeking a real woman.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
a Tracfone
From another post. They offer Android smartphones and flip phones. Took 4 days for delivery.

"Have had Tracfone for 20 years.

Currently have a Samsung with Android 9. Uses the Verizon network.
Have driven across country multiple times with no issues.

One can purchase a new Tracfone with one year of service, 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, and 1.5 GB data for as low as $50.00. That includes a new Android phone.

LINK

And for more time/data at $15.00 here:

LINK

Tracfone is not for everyone. If one is a high data user. Note that unlocked wifi is available in many places now."
Old 10-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
FlyingScot

I can't speak to NH directly, but in Mass they are allowing expiring licensees to coast for a few months during COVID. I expired in May, and they've pushed my due date out at least twice.

On your lack of luck with the ladies--I recommend staying away from the issue of your (swim) noodle being worth only $2.99
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Kamper

I guess you don't have any friends? I'd just borrow one to make the call if it was me.

Or buy ANY phone. Trac Fone will let you re-assign their numbers as long as you retain the password. Read the directions or call the service number.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default ...appt made by DMV-Marilee, Hazen Drive, Concord

Great news here ..... took a nice long walk of 2.5-miles along the upper Mad River in the nearby WMNF to chill out and get a more relaxed grip on my frigg'n driver license problem, here.

Before leaving for the long walk, I emailed both my sister and an old girlfriend from Duxbury, Mass with all the info to get me out of my NH license problem.

Back from the deep, dark forest river trail and lo & behold, a very nice email from my Duxbury-X informs me:

Hi Walter!

You have the first appointment available between the two locations you have suggested.

Their first appointment is in Concord, 29th October, 2020 at 8:50 AM ...
Be there 10 minutes early at least.

The appointment was made by Marilee.

I was 85th in line to get to a customer service person ..... it only took an hour!!

I'm happy to help you... you've done a lot for me too.

Christine

Seriously, I will make a copy of this email so I will have something to show a police officer in case I get stopped between now and Thursday, Oct 29 which is exactly 14-days away.

"But Officer, please take a minute here to consider my situation, plus I have an excellent driver safety record going back for many years."

Back in the 1970's there was a funny line that got told by NE Telephone home phone installers that went ....... you know there are three ways to send a message ...... you can telephone ..... you can telegraph ...... or, you can tell-a-woman!

So, how's about that! .... .... and thank-you very much to pondguy for the info on Hannaford!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Great news here ..... took a nice long walk of 2.5-miles along the upper Mad River in the nearby WMNF to chill out and get a more relaxed grip on my frigg'n driver license problem, here.

Before leaving for the long walk, I emailed both my sister and an old girlfriend from Duxbury, Mass with all the info to get me out of my NH license problem.

Back from the deep, dark forest river trail and lo & behold, a very nice email from my Duxbury-X informs me:

Hi Walter!

You have the first appointment available between the two locations you have suggested.

Their first appointment is in Concord, 29th October, 2020 at 8:50 AM ...
Be there 10 minutes early at least.

The appointment was made by Marilee.

I was 85th in line to get to a customer service person ..... it only took an hour!!

I'm happy to help you... you've done a lot for me too.

Christine

Seriously, I will make a copy of this email so I will have something to show a police officer in case I get stopped between now and Thursday, Oct 29 which is exactly 14-days away.

"But Officer, please take a minute here to consider my situation, plus I have an excellent driver safety record going back for many years."

Back in the 1970's there was a funny line that got told by NE Telephone home phone installers that went ....... you know there are three ways to send a message ...... you can telephone ..... you can telegraph ...... or, you can tell-a-woman!

So, how's about that! .... .... and thank-you very much to pondguy for the info on Hannaford!
I don't know I find it comical that you are a victim of your own cheapness.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I don't know I find it comical that you are a victim of your own cheapness.
Yes, there’s that...and also FlyingScot says he expired in May, yet he’s still posting! 😂 At our house, expiring has another meaning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (10-16-2020), JEEPONLY (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #17
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Just turned age-69 and the only vehicle I need or want to drive, and need it very very much, is my 2013 beat-up Scion xB with 208k miles, still runn'n the 'riginal four spark plugs.

Irwin Hyundai in Laconia would only give me a $300 trade-in value towards a used Kia Soul for about $7000, plus $700-dealer prep, and this Scion is still a good, 70-mph local hgwy driver, which is all I do, and has excellent car safety rating so maybe it will go to 300k miles ..... time will tell .... plus it's a 5-speed stick ..... not easy to find, today.

Whether I drive a big tanker truck haul'n 9200-gallons of gasoline or just a small compact car, it requires a NH driver's license ..... and no driv'n trucks for me.

I suppose I can email my older sister down in Mass and ask her to phone the NH-DMV to get me a license appointment for either Twin Mt or Concord ...... which is what I'll do.

Maybe the Walmart in Littleton NH on RT-93 has a $19.88 Tracfone flip-phone?
Since you have on line access, I would suggest you use your access to order yourself a new flip-phone. You should likely have it within a week or so.

Now, if you don't have a credit or debit card then that is another issue in it of itself (and you won't be able to order on-line).
Old 10-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #18
fatlazyless

Wink ... is totally the fault of this here lake!

Hannafords-Plymouth and Marshall's-Plymouth both have no flip-fone ..... the Plymouth Public Library and www.ebay.com says it has $19.99 Trac-fone flip-fone, made by Alcatel so that is what I will purchase through ebay.

The Alcatel flip-fone is much less user friendly than the older Trac-fone flip-fone, made by LG, which was easy to use and to text.

My whole problem with my driver's license is basically born from the difficult to use Alcatel flip-fone ....... I never had any phone problems with the old LG which unfortunately I dropped into the lake and it was ruined. It was something like a 3G product that apparently is no longer available.

Did not know that Alcatel now has the $19.88 MyFlip2 which should be better to use than the flipfone it replaced?

Therefore this entire episode is due to the lake water which made my old phone wet ....!!!!!

The water, which is naturally wet ....... aka 'Lake Winnipesaukee' is the guilty party, here ..... !! ..... is totally the fault of this here lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-17-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
pondguy

I got my LG flip phone at Hannaford's in Meredith they are near the gift card display near the Pharmacy. $ 19.99 I think it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
ApS

Lightbulb E z p z

Quote:
Hannafords-Plymouth and Marshall's-Plymouth both have no flip-fone ..... the Plymouth Public Library and www.ebay.com says it has $19.99 Trac-fone flip-fone, made by Alcatel so that is what I will purchase through eBay. The Alcatel flip-fone is much less user friendly than the older Trac-fone flip-fone, made by LG, which was easy to use and to text. My whole problem with my driver's license is basically born from the difficult to use Alcatel flip-fone ....... I never had any phone problems with the old LG which unfortunately I dropped into the lake and it was ruined. It was something like a 3G product that apparently is no longer available. Alcatel is French for "telephone trash." Therefore this entire episode is due to the lake water which made my old phone wet ....!!!!! The water, which is naturally wet ....... aka 'Lake Winnipesaukee' is the guilty party, here ..... !! ..... is totally the fault of this here lake!
To keep your flip-phone above water, tuck it into a swim noodle!
Old 10-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It does kind of make me sorry though that this world has become so dependent on cell phones and computers. I know people that don't even use computers and without help couldn't survive in today's world. I think an option should always be given for important things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (10-17-2020), pondguy (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #22
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
To keep your flip-phone above water, tuck it into a swim noodle!
But where should he stick the noodle?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #23
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It does kind of make me sorry though that this world has become so dependent on cell phones and computers. I know people that don't even use computers and without help couldn't survive in today's world. I think an option should always be given for important things.
I agree...and I believe this is the reason older folks have been reluctant to give up their land lines. I'm 70 and have given up mine but exclusively, for lack of use. It's a new world, passing by the stubborn, older generation...
Old 10-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #24
Lakegeezer

Default Manual ways are more expensive

Governments are adopting technology to increase efficiency while lowering costs, and meeting the needs of the majority. The push for lower taxes demand they do this. On-line systems means lower staff costs and time savings to people that don't need to visit town halls or DMV offices.

But, the problem is keeping the manual option to meet the needs of those that haven't adopted technology or don't have needed access. It is expensive for governments to keep the old, manual labor ways in place, but it is required until middle aged people become the new elderly. There is no looking back.
mswlogo (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #25
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
farmersonly.com if you are seeking a real woman.
Right. Please send a picture of the tractor.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Right. Please send a picture of the tractor.
A jest. I'm assuming.

Although, I do have a very nice tractor.

"What is FarmersOnly? FarmersOnly.com was founded in 2005 to help single farmers, ranchers and other country-minded folks with down-to-earth values to find love in the United States and Canada. It now boasts many millions of members, countless successful relationships and several weddings every week of the year."

LINK

If a widower or single is seeking a real down to earth level headed . . .
Old 10-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's not that they can't survive. They just don't want to. They get spoiled by the convenience, efficiency and security of having them. More time to relax or get more things done.

My wife is handicapped. I constantly worry about her falling. If she is not back when she is supposed to be I can check where she is any time. And I can go straight to where she is. If I stay late for work, and forget to call, she can check on me.

I search for something on my desktop to buy somewhere I've never been and it's 30 minutes before closing. And it's Friday and they don't open until Monday. Get in the car and the GPS is already loaded with it. Oh and it routed me around the accident. Saved my weekend project by getting that part.

My wife used to do all the shopping. Since COVID, I do it. We use FaceTime a ton so that she gets exactly what she wants and I'm not wandering all over to find stuff. And we only have to make one trip Less time I'm in the store the safer I am.

It's great being "connected". You wouldn't understand it, unless you did it.

I could use a similar argument that life was better before telephones and cars too. Just ask the Amish.

When shopping for homes I can check exactly where the sun will be in the sky any time of day and any day of the year. I ruled out many homes based on that. I don't even bother looking inside the house if I can't confirm the exact exposure I suspect it could have. I wish it could simulate trees removed or no leaves on the trees in Winter.

Smoke alarm goes off in my vacation home, I know it immediately. And I can pop up a camera or two to confirm if it's a false alarm or not.

Need to let the service guy in, don't have to give a key away or hide one. I just unlock the door from my phone, or generate a temporary code to get in.

I could give a 100 more examples. Smartphones saves time, money and gives peace of mind.

It's true though that they can be abused, like anything, like kids immersed in games and constantly texting with friends while ignoring the physical people around them.

Ordered iPhone 12 Pro yesterday And trying to convince my wife she needs ones too.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #28
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
My wife is handicapped. I constantly worry about her falling. If she is not back when she is supposed to be I can check where she is any time. And I can go straight to where she is. If I stay late for work, and forget to call, she can check on me.

Ordered iPhone 12 Pro yesterday And trying to convince my wife she needs ones too.
You might consider an Apple Watch for your wife. It can be paired with an iPhone for voice, text, location, etc. It also has a heart monitor. I do not have one yet, but I am thinking about getting one for my mother. I got her an iPhone a few years ago for safety/connectedness, but this looks better for the purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I got my LG flip phone at Hannaford's in Meredith they are near the gift card display near the Pharmacy. $ 19.99 I think it was.
I traded in my 14yo LG flip phone at the Verizon Store- no charge to me!
Reception, even within the house, has changed- not as good. I never used to have to walk around, inside, to keep good connection.

The directions for these things are practically none existent.
The paper that comes with the product shows where all the buttons are- you figure out how they work by yourself.

That's what I get, I guess, for trying to avoid more technology.

I'm so far behind, family members text me- some times I call them back, some times not- me no text!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #30
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
You might consider an Apple Watch for your wife. It can be paired with an iPhone for voice, text, location, etc. It also has a heart monitor. I do not have one yet, but I am thinking about getting one for my mother. I got her an iPhone a few years ago for safety/connectedness, but this looks better for the purpose.
We both have one. Has LTE and doesn't depend on the phone. She actually uses hers more than I do.
Closed Thread