Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Cattle Landing

FLL, I’ll be curious to hear when you see any snowmo traffic through there. I’m planning to come up on Saturday morning. Sounds like some snow coming so I won’t be on foot. I’ll be cutting holes as I go, as I always do the first time out. And if I don’t have a good six inches of black ice, I don’t go. But it’s comforting to not be the first snowmo tracks through there, especially. I expect the cold will have locked in everything between Sheps and Mink by next weekend.

Wondering whether anyone has cut any holes along that south side of Bear Island yet.

TIA

Mink Islander
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Hey Mink Islander ...... there's lots of open water, immediately close, surrounding the concrete Cattle Landing town dock there what with the ice eaters running ......making launching a sno-mo or ice shack probably not doable, and here's a head's up for possible open water .... for some unknown reason, there is a large, maybe 300-yards of open water in the shape of an elongated oval in the vicinity of the Fl-3 flasher buoy and to the east of Dolly Island...... other than that, it all looks like gray, sturdy ice(?) .... all around .... and probably smooth enough for ice skating, since this was more or less soft, wet ice and open water during last week's 7" of wet, heavy snowfall ...... best, fll
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Mink Islander

Thanks FLL. I never get on with a snowmobile at Cattle Landing anymore. Merediths aggressive use of an ice eater screwed everyone who used to get on there. If I’m walking I get on near there at the first driveway past the parking lot heading towards town. On sleds I get on at sheps.

Hopeful that this cold weather has locked things in pretty well. That stretch throygjbCattle Landing is always an area to be cautious, particularly early in the season.

Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
fatlazyless

About the unknown reason for the 300-yd long, oval shaped open water at FL-3 and Dolly Island which is unusual to see ..... but maybe the Lakeport Dam has enough water outflow to create open water there at the narrows .... with a very subtle current passing though? Oh well, this open water should help the Dolly Island bald eagles for hunting their fresh fish very close to home and not have to fly way over to the big bad broads for open water ...... they should like that!

A little history from: http://www.newenglandhistoricalsocie...operty-rights/ Winnipesaukee Water Wars, 1859

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-13-2019 at 08:42 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Open water

I’m a little confused. Is the open water you see running north to south from FL-3 over to Dolly Island or is it emanating from the boat house/docks on Dolly and just encroaching some into the channel in the general area of FL-3. Not unusual for there to be a fair amount of open water over towards Dolly but it’s avoidable usually. This sounds different than that.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
fatlazyless

It runs down the middle of the passage way, out in the center, about 100-yards wide x 300-yards long, an oval ...... from the Dolly cottage to FL-3 ..... seems like there is maybe a current flowing to have this be open what with all the deep freeze? Seems unusual for this opening to be there, at this time of year, and with all the cold.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Black Ice perhaps?

It that area was open during the prior snow storm but locked in after, it could give the impression of open water. Would be very odd for that to still be open water after all the cold of the past week. The snow on Friday will be the first clue, I suppose.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Driving down Weirs Blvd today, it looks like Paugus Bay has more open water south of the weirs channel than is normal for this time of year. So, I surmise this is due to continued draw down and dam outflow exiting the Lakeport Dam. In early December the lake was way high and got drawn down, so this is probably more of the same draw down which creates a subtle current that works against the making of the ice.