Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
catdon

Default Travel to the lake from TX

We recently moved from MA to TX - so now I have to figure out the most efficient/cost effective way to get back to the lake! We have a car at our house in Moultonborough that we can use when we're here. Do people find it more efficient to fly into BOS, take the bus to Concord and then take a car service to their house? Or to fly into MHT and take a car service from there? I've been looking at a few different options, but nothing has jumped out at me as the best way to go. My parents have a vacation condo that they fly to, and they leave their car in storage and have someone drive it to a pre-designated spot at the airport before their flight comes in. They do the reverse when they leave. Does anyone know of a service like this? Thanks for any and all suggestions! It's so hard not to be able to drive up to the lake any weekend we want like we used to .
catdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
Janet

Catdon, my family lives in Plano, Texas and travels to the lake every year. My sister and brother-in-law drive up in the Suburban loaded down with all kinds of goodies for our 6 week stay and the rest of the family flies.

We fly from DFW to Boston Logan and then take the Concord Coach bus from Logan to Center Harbor. Concord Coach no longer has a stop in Moultonborough. One thing to remember is Concord Coach only has two buses to Center Harbor daily- 9:25 am and 3:40 pm. If using the bus you need to be sure to arrange your flight around these times. I've never flown from Dallas to Manchester but find the convenience of the bus picking you up directly at the airport terminal easier than renting a car or finding a ride from Manchester. There is a car service I see advertised in the Laconia Daily Sun for service from Logan to the lake but thought the rates were pretty high. Round trip on the bus is $53.00.

Hope this helps and no I have no connection to Concord Coach.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
catdon (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdon View Post
We recently moved from MA to TX - so now I have to figure out the most efficient/cost effective way to get back to the lake! We have a car at our house in Moultonborough that we can use when we're here. Do people find it more efficient to fly into BOS, take the bus to Concord and then take a car service to their house? Or to fly into MHT and take a car service from there? I've been looking at a few different options, but nothing has jumped out at me as the best way to go. My parents have a vacation condo that they fly to, and they leave their car in storage and have someone drive it to a pre-designated spot at the airport before their flight comes in. They do the reverse when they leave. Does anyone know of a service like this? Thanks for any and all suggestions! It's so hard not to be able to drive up to the lake any weekend we want like we used to .
You don't have any friends in this area that could help you?
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

My experience with flying in/out of MHT over the last several years or so is that it is substantially less expensive to fly to BOS and take an alternate mode of transportation into NH. This includes the price of a private company (Limo etc) to pick us up at BOS and drop us off at our home. The time involved with the trip has been very close to the same as we do not have an additional layover to hop a plane into/out of MHT.

I sure wish MHT would go back to the way it was a decade ago when they were at least equal to flights from BOS.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
catdon (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
loonguy

We have been splitting time between LA and Moultonborough for 15 years. Our preferred and continuing approach is to fly nonstop to Boston Logan and take the bus to the Concord, NH bus station where you can leave a car parked for free.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
catdon (03-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
8gv

Is it covered by a roof where the car is parked at the Concord bus station?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
loonguy

Parking at the Concord bus station is not covered.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
phoenix

I agree with you on Manchester. I think when SW started flying into Boston and all the mergers eliminated any completion there are far fewer flights and more expensive. Unless they can get a low cost carrier like allegiant or spirit I don't think it will change.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
ChasesIslandOkie

With little ones and luggage, I find MHT to be worth the extra expense (and I agree it has gotten more expensive since SW started serving BOS, too). We have to connect from our home airport, OKC, anyway, so we just go right into MHT and really love the convenience on both ends (OKC airport is about the same size as MHT. I'd take a serious look at BOS though if we could fly nonstop.
ChasesIslandOkie is offline   Reply With Quote