Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
WeLoveTheLake

Default Fishing

Do you need a license even if you fish from your own private dock?

What are the best fishing spots?
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake View Post
Do you need a license even if you fish from your own private dock?

What are the best fishing spots?
Yes you need a license for fishing any waters in the state, and if you go to the ocean you need a salt water license in addition to the regular one.
Depending on the species of fish you are targeting, and the water temperature dictates where to fish. Be mindful that the bass season (bass can be caught anywhere, especially under docks) has restrictions for the spawning season and you should read the fishing publications that Fish and Game put out or check regulations on their website.
The state also provides substantial discounts for resident's licenses for people over a certain age.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
8gv

Here are the rules:

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...20NHFW-LR2.pdf
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
hd333

Default Fishing

What is the fine if caught without a license?

I’ve heard they take your gear? Is that accurate or an old wives tail?

If kids under 16 are fishing does an adult need a license if they are not fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
AC2717

under 16 no license needed. Can they take your gear, not fully sure. But fishing fresh water without a license is a fine of $95 but it allows you to fish for the rest of the day.

They offer a 1 day, 7 day and a 1 years fishing license for fresh water
link above very helpful as well as this one:
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/index.html

can even buy at Wallyworld
Old 06-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I think ...... but I'm not 100% sure they could potentially take anything they want used in the crime.

I've heard of the same thing, but I don't know if it's true.
yes if crime committed, but fishing without a license is not a crime, its a violation. Now if they had say bass in their possession before the 15th then that would be considered a crime and not a violation
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
pondguy

It was on WMUR Ch 9 this morning that there is free fishing this Saturday in New Hampshire.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
kawishiwi

Default Northwoods Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
under 16 no license needed. Can they take your gear, not fully sure. But fishing fresh water without a license is a fine of $95 but it allows you to fish for the rest of the day.

They offer a 1 day, 7 day and a 1 years fishing license for fresh water
link above very helpful as well as this one:
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/index.html

can even buy at Wallyworld
I've seen a few episodes of Northwoods Law on TV where it appears that simple fishing without a license is a fine & loss of fishing rights for 1 year in NH. I believe that would preclude you from a Vermont license for a year as well, and possibly the same in Maine. Under 16 can fish with no license & no licensed adult, but dont let the adult be seen EVER touching a pole at the waterside.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #9
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
You need it even if you actually own the lake you are fising on and all the surrounding land. No one of age gets out of needing a license
As long as it's less than 10 acres you can fish your own pond without a license. There's a trout pond on rte. 125 in Lee were you can fish without a license.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
glastron guy

Many years ago when I was sixteen I was on a lake in East Lempster. I had a fishing rod with a thermometer tied to the line. I was rowing across the lake when I was approached by a fish and game officer. He had a photographer from NH dept of tourism with him and they were taking pictures of out of state fishermen and sending them to their local newspaper to be published. All was good until the fish and game guy asked me for my license. I told him I was not fishing and showed him the thermometer tied to the line. He then told me that if the line was in the water you were considered to be fishing and, I had a choice. He would arrest me and I could spend the weekend in jail or he would take me to the local general store and I could buy a seasons license for 15.00. Needless to say I got in his car and he took me to the store and watched as i bought a seasons license. He then brought me back to where I was staying. Ever since then I always have made sure to have a fishing license when and if I was fishing no matter how obscure the body of water I was going to fish. I never did get my picture published in the local paper.
glastron guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron guy View Post
Many years ago when I was sixteen I was on a lake in East Lempster. I had a fishing rod with a thermometer tied to the line. I was rowing across the lake when I was approached by a fish and game officer. He had a photographer from NH dept of tourism with him and they were taking pictures of out of state fishermen and sending them to their local newspaper to be published. All was good until the fish and game guy asked me for my license. I told him I was not fishing and showed him the thermometer tied to the line. He then told me that if the line was in the water you were considered to be fishing and, I had a choice. He would arrest me and I could spend the weekend in jail or he would take me to the local general store and I could buy a seasons license for 15.00. Needless to say I got in his car and he took me to the store and watched as i bought a seasons license. He then brought me back to where I was staying. Ever since then I always have made sure to have a fishing license when and if I was fishing no matter how obscure the body of water I was going to fish. I never did get my picture published in the local paper.
I wonder if one could challenge that in court based on the definitions of "fishing" that the state has listed.

A weekend in jail would seem to result in a lawsuit today if it turned out that the CO was out of line.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote