Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #101
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
With enough influence, some can get the board to re-zone anything. The sad part, to me, is the owner claiming no intention of erecting storage buildings, "at this time". Eventually, the lure of the cascades of money to be made from boat storage will win out, so the claims from today really mean nothing to the abutting property owners
Where is this going on?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #102
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
Where is this going on?
Tuftonboro/Melvin Village.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #103
Alton Bay Ace

Location: Alton Bay NH - York, Maine - Chester NH - Nashua NH
Default Building on Winni

All of the above are good valid points and in force today; no, you can not add to the back of the house if you are closer than the 50' boundary. It must be the exact same footprint, height, width, etc.

Also, reducing the amount of impervious surfacing is also extremely desirable. We removed all of the asphalt and are replacing it with pervious block walkways and driveway and moved them further from the water line. I would think most would want to do all they can to protect the lake and the purity of the water.

Lastly, the comment about "with enough influence.......", the implication that the rules can be bent for the influential (wealthy? connected?) There is zero evidence that this is the case. We could not add a single square inch of space on our boathouse. It had to remain the same cubic volume (inside measurements) as the old one, period. The state - not the local zoning board - referenced that law and insisted upon it, no deviations whatsoever. We wanted to add some eye-brow windows to it which would not have added any height, width, or depth to the boathouse itself but would have slightly increased the interior volume. This was summarily rejected, even after our engineers and architects argued the point. No go.

We love Winni as much as anyone can and are happy to comply with regulations that protect her pristine waters. They weren't always that way and it took many years to bring it back to the present condition however the law allows one to build whatever their resources allow and their hearts desire, as long as it complies with the regulations.
Alton Bay Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alton Bay Ace For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (03-20-2020), VitaBene (03-30-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #104
winterh

"It must be the exact same footprint, height, width, etc" Are you sure about the height? I have a grand fathered ranch thats about half inside and half outside the 50 ft line. Its a relatively small lot so I am maxed out with impervious surface. I was under impression I could add a second floor over entire ranch as long as I stayed within height requirements (35 ft) and existing envelope. Can I only go up behind the line on the existing structure? That would be tough although maybe more theoretical question as I have been thinking of this forever and will never get to it.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #105
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay Ace View Post
All of the above are good valid points and in force today; no, you can not add to the back of the house if you are closer than the 50' boundary. It must be the exact same footprint, height, width, etc.

Also, reducing the amount of impervious surfacing is also extremely desirable. We removed all of the asphalt and are replacing it with pervious block walkways and driveway and moved them further from the water line. I would think most would want to do all they can to protect the lake and the purity of the water.

Lastly, the comment about "with enough influence.......", the implication that the rules can be bent for the influential (wealthy? connected?) There is zero evidence that this is the case. We could not add a single square inch of space on our boathouse. It had to remain the same cubic volume (inside measurements) as the old one, period. The state - not the local zoning board - referenced that law and insisted upon it, no deviations whatsoever. We wanted to add some eye-brow windows to it which would not have added any height, width, or depth to the boathouse itself but would have slightly increased the interior volume. This was summarily rejected, even after our engineers and architects argued the point. No go.

We love Winni as much as anyone can and are happy to comply with regulations that protect her pristine waters. They weren't always that way and it took many years to bring it back to the present condition however the law allows one to build whatever their resources allow and their hearts desire, as long as it complies with the regulations.
Thank you for your response.
However- you imply that you are wealthy/connected, and still "could not add a single square inch ..."

Never-the-less- my posts relate to re-zoning- off of Winni. The building part may, or may not, happen later.
Also, "influence" comes in many forms. If you were the judge, how would you sentence your brother? What would the written record show?

If I've not made my point clear, I'm sorry. I don't want to drive this into the ground. It's all very unpleasant to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #106
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
"It must be the exact same footprint, height, width, etc" Are you sure about the height? I have a grand fathered ranch thats about half inside and half outside the 50 ft line. Its a relatively small lot so I am maxed out with impervious surface. I was under impression I could add a second floor over entire ranch as long as I stayed within height requirements (35 ft) and existing envelope. Can I only go up behind the line on the existing structure? That would be tough although maybe more theoretical question as I have been thinking of this forever and will never get to it.
You are right from what we have been told. You can go up.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #107
Alton Bay Ace

There are height restrictions however your situation would require the board's input. E.G., the boathouse can not be any higher than 15' over the water's surface. You can not add "living space" over a boathouse anymore, or a sky light or anything else that would violate the 15' requirement.

And, no, JEEPONLY, I am not implying anything about my own personal wealth. I am aware of a number of very wealthy individuals on the lake that weren't able to alter their plans as a result of the violations they were hoping to avoid. They just couldn't make it happen.

Now, if you want to dredge onto your own land - and the setbacks work in your favor - you can almost do anything (within code, of course) because it isn't "over the water" as most boathouses are. There are a lot of examples of this on the lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Bay Ace For This Useful Post:
newbie (03-31-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #108
Garcia

Quote:
Based on what I have seen on Bear Island, going up is permissible (or at least was). A couple of the houses that look toward Shep Browns have gone up in recent years, but do not appear to have grown in any other direction.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #109
LakeTimes

Quote:
I do know you can't go above 35 ft - Anyone know where that's measured from? I've not been able to find that answer.

For example, if your house is built on a bit of a decline (front left side of the house is ground level, but right side is much lower, call it 4 feet), is the 35 ft measured from the lowest point, high point or an average? Thought is if you are outside of 50 ft from water, and it's currently a single floor with a sloping crawl space underneath, you could dig down for a basement/walkout, have a main floot then 2nd floor all while being under 35 ft. Could essentially 3x the living space of your current house while never expanding the width or depth...
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #110
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
There are height restrictions however your situation would require the board's input. E.G., the boathouse can not be any higher than 15' over the water's surface. You can not add "living space" over a boathouse anymore, or a sky light or anything else that would violate the 15' requirement.

And, no, JEEPONLY, I am not implying anything about my own personal wealth. I am aware of a number of very wealthy individuals on the lake that weren't able to alter their plans as a result of the violations they were hoping to avoid. They just couldn't make it happen.

Now, if you want to dredge onto your own land - and the setbacks work in your favor - you can almost do anything (within code, of course) because it isn't "over the water" as most boathouses are. There are a lot of examples of this on the lake.
Not sure if I understood your last paragraph but a boathouse that you dredge has the same rules as an existing boathouse that was out over the lake. Also if you dredge in your land for a boathouse, the dredged water area is now considered lake and you must build 50' from the "new" waterline.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #111
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

I have a boathouse with living quarters above it. I inquired verbally about putting another level on and was declined. I inquired about adding dormers that would be lower than the ridge line and within the existing footprint and was declined again.

If you are trying to make changes within 50 feet of the waterfront there is not much you can do unless your project reduces the impact on the waterfront.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #112
Alton Bay Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
I ice fish in front of this place, it was real nice to see all the garbage and building materials plowed over the hill this winter into the lake. Hope they clean up their mess.

This place has now been under construction for over a year. Quite the build.
Interesting.

Question(s): You actually watched as the builder plowed trash and construction material in to the lake? Did you call anyone? Police? Dept of Environmental Services? Anyone? Did anyone else see this happen or was it just you? Is there any evidence of this crime left in the vicinity? Since the lake was frozen it seems unlikely that the trash would have moved anywhere.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #113
Alton Bay Ace

Default New Photo 13 Nelsons Piune Point

Gee, I don't know, I was just there and did't see any trash for construction material in or even near the water. can you possibly be mistaken JADAQ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Alton Bay Ace; 03-30-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Used wrong name on text originally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alton Bay Ace For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #114
LakeTimes

Quote:
Gee, I don't know, I was just there and did't see any trash for construction material in or even near the water. can you possibly be mistaken JADAQ?
House looks amazing Alton Bay Ace!!! Can't imagine the itch you have for everything to be completed!!!
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #115
MeredithMan

Default beautiful...

Beautiful place...love the design/architecture. Congratulations!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #116
JADAQ

Quote:
Considering it was over a month and a half ago no wonder you didn’t see anything!
It was stuff plowed up from the snow and put over the banking, eventually making its way down onto the ice. Don’t worry now, it’s long gone just like the ice.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #117
Alton Bay Ace

Default Yeah, right.

Aw, come now, JADAQ, really. The scene of the crime what, washed away? My next phone call will be to my builder, I'm sure he'll have some information on the mysterious and unlawful dumping of material into the lake or even the accusation of such a crime. I doubt he'd want anyone to think that he'd ever do anything even approaching such an unlawful act since he's been LIVING and BUILDING custom homes on Winnipesaukee for almost 30 years. That could put a serious dent in his reputation as a builder.

Stay tuned everyone, I'll be sure to post the results of my conversation.

Thank you all others for your kind comments on the house. My wife and I came up with the initial ideas and our fabulous architect turned it into a real plan! We very excited to see it finished and should be moving in sometime in June, if all goes well.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #118
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Congrats!

Congrats on your beautiful new home Alton Bay Ace!!

Dan
Alton Bay Ace (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #119
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Thumbs up

From the picture it certainly doesn't look like what I would consider a Mc-Mansion or even a mansion for that matter. It looks like a beautiful home.
Good luck in your new home.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #120
4 for Boating

May I ask around how long something like this took to build?

Sans the design/permits...
From the point of the first hammer hit/shovel to what you are hoping for in June?

Side question > how was the process of finding a builder - did you have to wait multiple years for the one you selected to be able to start given their backlog?

BTW - Very nice home > congradulations and enjoy!
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #121
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
From the picture it certainly doesn't look like what I would consider a Mc-Mansion or even a mansion for that matter. It looks like a beautiful home.
Good luck in your new home.
If you had to pay for it you would!!!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:09 AM   #122
Sammy

Where in Alton is this house?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 AM   #123
Alton Bay Ace

Post 4 for Boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
May I ask around how long something like this took to build?

Sans the design/permits...
From the point of the first hammer hit/shovel to what you are hoping for in June?

Side question > how was the process of finding a builder - did you have to wait multiple years for the one you selected to be able to start given their backlog?

BTW - Very nice home > congradulations and enjoy!
We looked at a lot of houses we really liked on the lake and inquired about who built which, we also interviewed severAl architectural firms. Ultimately, we found a Builder that is "turnkey" i.e., in-house architect, project manager, site manager, etc. We waited only a few months for him to be able to start.

The old house came down on July 13th of 2018, and should be completed this June, so just under 2 years total design & build time.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #124
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
We looked at a lot of houses we really liked on the lake and inquired about who built which, we also interviewed severAl architectural firms. Ultimately, we found a Builder that is "turnkey" i.e., in-house architect, project manager, site manager, etc. We waited only a few months for him to be able to start.

The old house came down on July 13th of 2018, and should be completed this June, so just under 2 years total design & build time.
Thanks for continuing to share your experiences, even though they've been met with criticism—that seems to be the MO around here lately.

Good luck with the rest of the process—hope you enjoy your new home!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #125
4 for Boating

YES - thanks for sharing - the process of getting to this point must have been a ride in-itself.

As thinkxingu raised, the board can be/get a little critical some times and I would guess the current state of affairs is not helping. However and overall, a good resource for all things going on around the lake and a lot of knowledge...
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post:
Alton Bay Ace (03-31-2020), thinkxingu (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #126
gillygirl

Quote:
Well, color me green with envy! Do you need a live-in housekeeper?

Congratulations, and best wishes in your new home.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #127
Barney Bear

Default What's Up?

Very elegant design - congratulations to all. Enjoy!

Question - Is the element (cupola) above the garage area accessible for the similar use of a "widow's walk" frequently found on Colonial era houses? 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #128
Susie Cougar

It certainly is a beautiful house. I hope you have many years of enjoyment in it. I agree that there has been some jealousy showing on this topic. I’m just wondering, are your neighbors happy with the final product?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #129
Alton Bay Ace

Post Barney Bear & Susie Cougar

Hi, I wanted to respond to your questions:

No, the cupola is a light area only and not accessible. We wanted to do a rotating light as in a lighthouse but that is not allowed by the state.

And, yes, our neighbors (the ones sharing the point with us) are quite alright with the project. We've kept them completely aware of all the steps and have tried to make it as hassle-free as possible. Of course, it can be a huge inconvenience but we've really tried hard to keep it out of their way.

At this point, we're just in "get it done" mode so we can use it for as much of the 2020 season as possible. The boathouse should be completed in early/mid-May so we can still get the boats/jet skiis in the water and enjoy the lake until the house is finished.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alton Bay Ace For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (03-31-2020), Susie Cougar (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #130
The Real BigGuy

Beautiful place. I’m jealous! How about a “walk thru” video?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Alton Bay Ace (04-01-2020), gillygirl (03-31-2020), JEEPONLY (03-31-2020), Susie Cougar (03-31-2020)