Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #101
Chimi

I just hope this guy has some common courtesy to keep the wakes down when near shoreline, especially with the lake at this high level. That vessel has potential to do some serious damage to the shoreline and personal property. I believe NH has a law on the books which states that a vessel captain is responsible for damages done by his wake (but I could be wrong).
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #102
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimi View Post
I just hope this guy has some common courtesy to keep the wakes down when near shoreline, especially with the lake at this high level. That vessel has potential to do some serious damage to the shoreline and personal property. I believe NH has a law on the books which states that a vessel captain is responsible for damages done by his wake (but I could be wrong).
I’m pretty sure you are wrong. The Sophie C and Doris E produce far larger wakes than any other boat save maybe the Mount Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #103
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Seriously?

As stated above, the Sophie C and the Doris E produce much larger wakes than this boat will. My experience is that their wakes are larger than the Mount Washington.

However, the increasing problem on the lake is the "Wake Setter" boats and other boats designed specifically to make a large wake. This new 56 foot boat may pass by once or twice and leave a wake. The Wake Setter boats may set up for a few hours in front of your house while everyone on the boat takes a turn in the lake. Hours of heavy wakes washing up on your front yard.

This is a real threat, one that is happening now. I saw the first one yesterday, with a surfer in the water, in front of my house. The wake from that boat washed several feet over the sea wall and onto my property. It is only going to get worse.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-27-2019), Major (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #104
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Huh?

The Mount barely makes a wake. Heck my 22’ Eastern will produce a bigger wake than the Mount till she planes... The Sophie C and Doris E are another story however!
Major (05-17-2019), TiltonBB (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #105
Chimi

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Seriously?

As stated above, the Sophie C and the Doris E produce much larger wakes than this boat will. My experience is that their wakes are larger than the Mount Washington.

However, the increasing problem on the lake is the "Wake Setter" boats and other boats designed specifically to make a large wake. This new 56 foot boat may pass by once or twice and leave a wake. The Wake Setter boats may set up for a few hours in front of your house while everyone on the boat takes a turn in the lake. Hours of heavy wakes washing up on your front yard.

This is a real threat, one that is happening now. I saw the first one yesterday, with a surfer in the water, in front of my house. The wake from that boat washed several feet over the sea wall and onto my property. It is only going to get worse.
Yes, seriously. I don’t own waterfront property, so I have no dog in the fight. Simply making a point, so I don’t know why you had to make the condescending remark. You said it yourself that your property is being damaged by boat wakes. So if this guy sends a tsunami over your sea wall, then I guess you will just smile and wave? I still think there is a law on the books that says a captain is responsible for damages done by their wake.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #106
Garcia

Quote:
Seriously?

Good law or bad, the courts have held boat operators responsible for their wake.

Here’s a Boat US article on the subject:

https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...-liability.asp

Something for everyone to consider whether we like it or not...

And, The Mount makes almost no wake ever since they upgraded the engines a few years ago.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #107
fatlazyless

In 2009 The Mount Washington qualified to receive a federal grant of about one million dollars through the Obama Admin's - Cash for Clunkers - EPA program and replaced their two 1946 diesels with two new Caterpillar clean diesel engines with installation completed in 2010.

The old diesels were 64-years old, voluminous in size, and well known for their familiar and iconic whosh-whosh-whosh sound which has been replaced with two new 2009 yellow Cats that are very efficient but emit an unimpressive buzz sound.

https://www.fosters.com/article/2009...WS02/707169765 ..... going from the old whoosh-whoosh-whoosh to the new buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The old engines and the new engines all make a similar wake which seems flat and smooth for a 230' ship moving along at about 20-mph. So smooth that towing a 14-year old water skier on two skis on a 75' tow with mediocre skill is a piece-o-cake!

Much like the 2003 crash of the Old Man on the Mountain, the demise of the MS Mount Washington's iconic whoosh-whoosh-whoosh sound is deeply missed by many lake area residents. Sondra Kaputnitz of Wolfeboro says she just starts to cry, every time she hears that awful buzzzzzzzzzzzz sound, cruis'n on down the lake. ....... exclaiming ...... it is just so totally dreadful! ....... awwwwggggghhhhhhh

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #108
ApS

Cool 'Thinking Rodney D.

Quote:
The owner is so courteous, that the NHMP can visit him before he returns to his dock.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #109
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Rolling into town:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423...6199164727971/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #110
The Real BigGuy

Check out video of interior here. All I can say is WOW!!! https://www.marinemax.com/boats-for-...-myers/6999300

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #111
joey2665

Holy cow!!! Hilarious there is a payment calculator st the bottom of the page. If you need to use it you can’t afford this boat.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #112
Outdoorsman

Unhappy

Quote:
Yes, seriously. I don’t own waterfront property, so I have no dog in the fight. Simply making a point, so I don’t know why you had to make the condescending remark. You said it yourself that your property is being damaged by boat wakes. So if this guy sends a tsunami over your sea wall, then I guess you will just smile and wave? I still think there is a law on the books that says a captain is responsible for damages done by their wake.
I am speechless!

Some random, trying to disparage others?... You are certainly not helping your "cause".

You do not own waterfront property of any kind, yet you spew venom about those that do?

Take your "dog" to the park. And please clean up the poop behind him/her.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #113
Chimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I am speechless!

Some random, trying to disparage others?... You are certainly not helping your "cause".

You do not own waterfront property of any kind, yet you spew venom about those that do?

Take your "dog" to the park. And please clean up the poop behind him/her.
Disparage others? Spew venom? Hey Snowflake, lighten up will you? Your post must be a joke, because nobody would take what you wrote seriously. My first post was simply to ask if the owner of this new yacht would operate with some common courtesy, especially since the lake is high. Then you come on the scene with your diarrhea of the mouth. Nice job!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #114
brk-lnt

John Spooner / Diamond Shine have posted some additional pics of it on Facebook, as it is getting cleaned and prepped for launch.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't follow the current trend for boats like this to do the name on the transom in 3D backlit letters. Guess he wanted to save some cash

Should be a fun summer for its inaugural launch.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #115
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
John Spooner / Diamond Shine have posted some additional pics of it on Facebook, as it is getting cleaned and prepped for launch.

I'm kind of surprised he didn't follow the current trend for boats like this to do the name on the transom in 3D backlit letters. Guess he wanted to save some cash

Should be a fun summer for its inaugural launch.
John said he was putting on a ceramic coat. I had an estimate for my car of 1500.00 for a ceramic coat. I could only imagine the cost for such a huge job.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #116
dt5150

are they still trying to sell their mansion on gov. island? what are they going to do with that thing if they do? i would imagine it might be a tad difficult to find a slip big enough for it elsewhere. there's always valet i guess.. can you imagine having to launch and load that sucker every time the owner wanted to go out?!?
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #117
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
John said he was putting on a ceramic coat. I had an estimate for my car of 1500.00 for a ceramic coat. I could only imagine the cost for such a huge job.
No doubt it was costly, but in the grand scheme of things, it was probably less expensive than the transport costs. Even at $100/ft, that would "only" be $5600. A tank of gas (assuming you're filling 500gal of the 580gal total capacity for a "fill up") is going to be $1500-$2000, depending on exact price and delivery method at the time.

So, the ceramic coat was probably about 3 tanks of gas, which in that context seems cheap
Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #118
joey2665

Quote:
No doubt it was costly, but in the grand scheme of things, it was probably less expensive than the transport costs. Even at $100/ft, that would "only" be $5600. A tank of gas (assuming you're filling 500gal of the 580gal total capacity for a "fill up") is going to be $1500-$2000, depending on exact price and delivery method at the time.

So, the ceramic coat was probably about 3 tanks of gas, which in that context seems cheap
Cheap for him, expensive for me. . I wish them the best of luck and hope to see them out on the lake this season.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #119
brk-lnt

Quote:
Holy cow!!! Hilarious there is a payment calculator st the bottom of the page. If you need to use it you can’t afford this boat.
I know tons of people financing million dollar boats. The prices on some used boats, particularly the high-demand center consoles like Freeman, don't follow the same depreciation curve and you can end up "owning" one of these boats for a few years with a lot less net out of pocket than you would think. I don't think this boat falls in that category (eg: it is likely to depreciate heavily the first year), it still would not surprise me to see it financed, not for "lack of cash" reasons, but for "cash management" reasons.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #120
joey2665

Default Hot Tip.........Big Boat......Coming Soon

Quote:
I know tons of people financing million dollar boats. The prices on some used boats, particularly the high-demand center consoles like Freeman, don't follow the same depreciation curve and you can end up "owning" one of these boats for a few years with a lot less net out of pocket than you would think. I don't think this boat falls in that category (eg: it is likely to depreciate heavily the first year), it still would not surprise me to see it financed, not for "lack of cash" reasons, but for "cash management" reasons.
Very true. I was really more commenting that if you are worried about the payment amount to use the calculator you shouldn’t buy it.

Personally I would obviously if I could, buy a boat such as this definitely finance for cash management.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #121
Tank151

Default Really?

I don't care how much money you have, but a boat this size (if true) on the lake? The owner must be afraid of going on the ocean!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #122
radiocontester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It’s here!Attachment 14885

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waaaaaay too big for the lake.....this belongs in the ocean. Not sure how much fun it's going to be with a boat of that size.....things got pretty monotonous with my 28 footer which is why my wife and I upgraded to close to a 40 footer to begin exploring the ocean.
radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #123
JADAQ

So why was the post so “top secret “?

Who cares, it’s a boat. Wow someone’s got money.... ooooo
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (05-23-2019), Reilly (05-29-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #124
chachee52

Took a cruise around the lake this weekend. Got a chance to look at this boat, I must say, it doesn't look as big as some of the other boats around it. Might be because its not as tall as the others?
Whatever it might be, nice looking boat.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #125
mneck1814

We just saw the boat waiting for a spot at the Meredith docks and I will admit that it looked smaller in person than I anticipated, too. We didn’t stick around to see how long they had to wait for a spot, but it looked like they had a full crew onboard watching the docks for an opening.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #126
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Pictures, please?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 PM   #127
Descant

Huh? I was hoping for some pics of the Galeon hanging from the crane, and in the water. I'm not sure what your post is about?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #128
Blyblvrd

Name:  IMG_0914.jpg
Views: 7012
Size:  99.1 KB

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:24 AM   #129
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Huh? I was hoping for some pics of the Galeon hanging from the crane, and in the water. I'm not sure what your post is about?
Check this post:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...2&postcount=26
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:28 AM   #130
TiltonBB

Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Like these?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-28-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #131
ushaggerb

Quote:
Like these?
Hey. That's the same crane we used to put in our runabout.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #132
salty dog

Default Sleek and fast

We were just pulling anchor after finishing lunch yesterday in Saunders Bay and noticed the new Galeon coming out of the marina. It came up to speed quickly, heading towards the end of Governors Island. Decided to pursue it just to watch it and maybe get a quick video. We pretty much caught up when it really poured it on. As I matched it's speed, it started to pull away at close to 30 mph. It was fun to watch it run but it sure is more boat than I'd ever need! I think I read that at cruising speed it burns about 40GPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BGl91sdX2k
Old 06-02-2019, 05:45 AM   #133
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
It wont take much for piloting skills, that is joystick controlled with thrusters front and rear I am sure. You can push that in any direction needed.
Add some wind and even this 64 footer has trouble:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #134
TiltonBB

Quote:

That will be impressive to see that move over the road. I imagine they will have to take it 95 to 101 to 93. I cant imagine trying Route 11!
Route 4,125, 16, and 11.

Quote:
It wont take much for piloting skills, that is joystick controlled with thrusters front and rear I am sure. You can push that in any direction needed.
Yes on bow and stern thrusters. No Joystick.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #135
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Can you imagine having to dock your boat that close to the other boats all the time even without the wind?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #136
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Can you imagine having to dock your boat that close to the other boats all the time even without the wind?
Takes lots of patience and LOTS of hands! But no thanks!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #137
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Good thing that guy was there to give 'em a push with his hands.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #138
ApS

Arrow First, Learn to Sail...

Did the skipper NOT have sailing experience? When you have to "work with the wind", you gain a greater respect for Mother Nature. That boat was SO large, the skipper might not have seen that he had docking-help from another boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Good thing that guy was there to give 'em a push with his hands.
That was sarcasm, right? The video showed the boat crew had set a huge ball-fender between the two boats—early-on.

Speaking of sailing and powerboats, disabled USN submarine R-14 set improvised sail, and sailed its return 120 miles back to its home port!

Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #139
Tank151

Default Boat Length

Instead of a speed limit, the state of New Hampshire ought to limit boat lengths permitted to ratio of lake size. This boat should be on the ocean. Apparently the Captain has no -----
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #140
Paugus Bay Resident

Personally, I don't believe we need any more regulations, we have more than enough when it comes to the lake and boating. Maybe a bit more common sense and courtesy, but that can't be legislated

While I do agree that the boat may be a bit "large" for Winni, it's not my boat and not my money. It's a free country and as long as the vessel is operated in a safe and couteous manner, I couldn't care less.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
granitebox (06-10-2019), gravy boat (06-06-2019), Hillcountry (06-06-2019), ishoot308 (06-06-2019), Shreddy (06-10-2019), TiltonBB (06-06-2019), tis (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #141
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
Instead of a speed limit, the state of New Hampshire ought to limit boat lengths permitted to ratio of lake size. This boat should be on the ocean. Apparently the Captain has no -----
What’s next? Limit the size of lake front house you can build based on the size of the lake?Limit the number of guests you can have based on the size of the lake? The proposal suggest the beginning of a slippery slope we may not want to start down.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Reilly (06-08-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #142
joey2665

Quote:
Wow. I hope you are kidding!!!

tis (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #143
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
What’s next? Limit the size of lake front house you can build based on the size of the lake?Limit the number of guests you can have based on the size of the lake? The proposal suggest the beginning of a slippery slope we may not want to start down.

I think all of the options stated are controversial and uncomfortable. However, I feel the towns and the state should be more proactive in looking at ways to not necessarily over-regulate, but to make sure that growth remains sustainable. For example, if you have a huge influx of tourists for a three month season, workers are needed - where do they live and come from? As more people are coming and boating for the day or weekend (as waterfront is out of reach for most), where do they launch their boats, at what cost, and where are vehicles and trailers parked? Slips and valets are hard to find and building new ones is not an option - will the market simply start to squeeze out those at the lower end of the income scale as those who can afford to pay more continue to drive up prices?

I am a capitalist. But, I am also a believer in proactive planning so that future generations can continue to enjoy the Lake as I do.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #144
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

The next recession will shrink the size and the amount of boats on the lake just like the last one did.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #145
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Some people just like to flash their money
Others work extremely hard and make the choice to enjoy the fruits of their labor
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (06-06-2019), CTYankee (06-07-2019), granitebox (06-10-2019), gravy boat (06-06-2019), ishoot308 (06-06-2019), Liquorish (06-07-2019), Major (06-06-2019), Paugus Bay Resident (06-07-2019), Red apple (06-08-2019), Reilly (06-08-2019), TiltonBB (06-06-2019), ushaggerb (06-12-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #146
Major

Quote:
Others work extremely hard and make the choice to enjoy the fruits of their labor
I will add that Marc is brilliant too. Very little luck involved in his success. Extremely smart and an extremely hard worker, who was willing to take risks.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CooperS7777 (06-06-2019), CTYankee (06-07-2019), joey2665 (06-06-2019), Paugus Bay Resident (06-07-2019), robmac (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #147
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I will add that Marc is brilliant too. Very little luck involved in his success. Extremely smart and an extremely hard worker, who was willing to take risks.
I will not knock the guy for being able to create a successful business. But like the Summa Humma boats his fascination with this one will likely fade. Be it because of a business turn down, or simply because he doesn't enjoy it the way he thought he would. He has taken risks, I don't know and will not comment on how hard or not he works.... and that is the key to his success... The fact that he takes risks.... Wander around the state some, you will find risks he took that failed... I have found more then one MB tractor location that did not succeed. When business and the economy is good, his life is good... when it is not, you see him make changes.... He is a risk taker, that isn't afraid to loose what he has gained.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 06-07-2019 at 11:29 AM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #148
Hillcountry

We only live once! Why not enjoy the fruits of your labors...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (06-24-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #149
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We only live once! Why not enjoy the fruits of your labors...
I plan on coming back to haunt everyone!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #150
brk-lnt

Quote:
Instead of a speed limit, the state of New Hampshire ought to limit boat lengths permitted to ratio of lake size. This boat should be on the ocean.
LOL.

This is not an "Ocean" boat, it's really a near shore boat. Yes, it's longer than what you commonly see on Winni, but compare it to something like a Marlow 53 in terms of displacement, fuel capacity, range, and general sea handling capabilities and you'll see quite a difference.

Quote:
Apparently the Captain has no -----
Not sure what you were implying MB is lacking with that comment, but I'm not so sure you have much "-----" to spare either.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #151
Barney Bear

Default Welcome!

This here lake is big enuf for the both of us!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #152
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I plan on coming back to haunt everyone!
I like your idea but I don’t think I want to see the “future world” we’re headed for...
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #153
TheRoBoat

Default Drove beside and behind her this weekend

It is a stunning vessel

It doesn’t look as long as the Camp Lawrence boat although it is slightly bigger

The wake looks huge behind the boat (first 75’ ft or so) but flattens out quickly. The wake that travels to shore I would describe as a rolling swell. The harsh waves of the camp boat or the mail boat - or the wake setter we went by afterwards, would be more damaging.

It looked like any other boat enjoying the weekend.
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheRoBoat For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (06-10-2019), brk-lnt (06-10-2019), Descant (06-10-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #154
neckdweller

This is more a question about the Meredith town docks but since this thread's subject was what got me to notice I figured I'd post here.

Yesterday afternoon I was going through Meredith and saw Summah Hummah tied up to the town docks. I went by this morning around 6 AM and saw it still in the same spot. Is there some portion of those docks that is private? I've never really taken notice of the boats there but this one is kind of tough to miss.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #155
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
This is more a question about the Meredith town docks but since this thread's subject was what got me to notice I figured I'd post here.

Yesterday afternoon I was going through Meredith and saw Summah Hummah tied up to the town docks. I went by this morning around 6 AM and saw it still in the same spot. Is there some portion of those docks that is private? I've never really taken notice of the boats there but this one is kind of tough to miss.
Pretty sure where it was tied up is part of the public docks.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #156
joey2665

The whole dock is public there is no private area and I can confirm it was there overnight. Only legitimate reason for the stay would be maybe the vessel was having issues.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #157
Seaplane Pilot

I went by at 3:45 this afternoon, and it was still there. There were 2 Meredith cops on the dock next to the boat, one looked like he might have been writing a ticket of some sort. Went by again at 6:00, and it was gone.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #158
rick35

Anyone know how much a three hour dock violation is? I see boats tied up at Shep Browns public dock long term occasionally and I have to guess the fines are less than renting a slip.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #159
JADAQ

He was at a 3 day event at Church landing. Not sure how he got permission to park long term but, $$$ can get you lots of things!
Old 06-25-2019, 04:55 AM   #160
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
He was at a 3 day event at Church landing. Not sure how he got permission to park long term but, $$$ can get you lots of things!
Who knows what the story is here, but the friends I have/I've known with money definitely see the rules differently. I actually posted something on the Facebook forum recently that was based on one such friend: when he saw, "$50 fine for XXXX," he interpreted it as, "it costs $50 to do XXXX."

Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 AM   #161
joey2665

Quote:

I understand money talks but the season is so short and weekends so busy especially at all the town docks it just isn’t right for this boat to take up 2-3 spots for 3 days. I pulled up there about 1:00 Saturday and there were obviously no spots to be had and 5 boats in front of me and more coming in behind.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-25-2019), Hillcountry (06-25-2019), thinkxingu (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #162
Hillcountry

Quote:
I understand money talks but the season is so short and weekends so busy especially at all the town docks it just isn’t right for this boat to take up 2-3 spots for 3 days. I pulled up there about 1:00 Saturday and there were obviously no spots to be had and 5 boats in front of me and more coming in behind.

And this is exactly why we stay off the lake on weekends! Weekdays are not without issues but much less stressful docking at the various towns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #163
thinkxingu

Quote:

Agreed. 99% of the issues we discuss on the lake revolve around people acting without concern for others.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-25-2019), BoatHouse (06-25-2019), joey2665 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #164
ishoot308

Default Hearsay

Does anybody here know for a fact that he did not have permission or maybe even a paid for a permit to stay there? Does anybody here know he didn't have motor or other troubles that caused his extended stay?? (You can't exactly tow a boat that size safely.) or is this all hearsay and conjecture to chastise a man who has a little money and a nice boat??....

Just wondering...

Dan
Blyblvrd (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #165
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Does anybody here know he didn't have motor or other troubles that caused his extended stay?? (You can't exactly tow a boat that size safely.)
Why can't one safely tow a boat that size?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #166
joey2665

Quote:
And this is exactly why we stay off the lake on weekends! Weekdays are not without issues but much less stressful docking at the various towns.
I’m with you. I much prefer the weekdays to weekends on the lake. Sometimes it’s unavoidable, I had family up and they were begging to go out. I also think this past weekend the docks were so busy because of the high winds, many took short rides to destinations instead of cruising or anchoring up. Lake was not too crowded but the town docks were packed.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #167
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Let me just say this Dave...If that was my boat and it was broken down, I certainly would not want anyone attempting to tow me and somehow try and dock me through a maze of boats at my home marina. It would be much simpler and safer to ask the town for permission or accept the daily tickets and have a qualified mechanic come to the vessel for repairs.

Dan
Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #168
Hillcountry

Quote:
Does anybody here know for a fact that he did not have permission or maybe even a paid for a permit to stay there? Does anybody here know he didn't have motor or other troubles that caused his extended stay?? (You can't exactly tow a boat that size safely.) or is this all hearsay and conjecture to chastise a man who has a little money and a nice boat??....

Just wondering...

Dan
Someone had said "he was attending a 3 day event" there...I assume they had inside information to make that statement?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #169
ishoot308

Quote:
Someone had said "he was attending a 3 day event" there...I assume they had inside information to make that statement?
Could be but he also could of had a permit or permission from the town to do so the same way large barges and other work boats get permits to use town docks...

Dan
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #170
codeman671

Quote:
With the size of that boat and the crazy wind we had this weekend it would be foolish to try.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #171
Garcia

Quote:

On the one hand, I am all for letting people live and let live and spend their money however they choose. On the other, as boats get bigger and beamier, more and more of the public docking space gets taken up - and their are no new spaces being created! Common sense, courtesy, and following the rules goes a long way to making space available for all.

I have two simple requests when people use public spaces. First, don't park in such a way that you make dock spaces inaccessible to others. The number of times I have pulled into Sheps, Center Harbor, or the Weirs to find boats parked at the far end of the docks in such a way as to block access to inner spaces... If you don't have the skill to dock in tight spaces, fine - "walk" your boat in or out as needed. Takes a little more time, but we all benefit. This is especially irritating when people are just hanging out on their boat - with two or three spaces in front of them!

Second, follow the three hour rule. Just because you get to a dock first thing in the morning doesn't mean you can stay all day. Likewise putting on the mooring cover and staying all night...

I don't expect any changes but will keep hoping!
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #172
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
On the one hand, I am all for letting people live and let live and spend their money however they choose. On the other, as boats get bigger and beamier, more and more of the public docking space gets taken up - and their are no new spaces being created! Common sense, courtesy, and following the rules goes a long way to making space available for all.

I have two simple requests when people use public spaces. First, don't park in such a way that you make dock spaces inaccessible to others. The number of times I have pulled into Sheps, Center Harbor, or the Weirs to find boats parked at the far end of the docks in such a way as to block access to inner spaces... If you don't have the skill to dock in tight spaces, fine - "walk" your boat in or out as needed. Takes a little more time, but we all benefit. This is especially irritating when people are just hanging out on their boat - with two or three spaces in front of them!

Second, follow the three hour rule. Just because you get to a dock first thing in the morning doesn't mean you can stay all day. Likewise putting on the mooring cover and staying all night...

I don't expect any changes but will keep hoping!
Absolutely! Common sense, courtesy and following the rules are always the first thing to go
Old 06-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #173
Dave R

Quote:
Let me just say this Dave...If that was my boat and it was broken down, I certainly would not want anyone attempting to tow me and somehow try and dock me through a maze of boats at my home marina. It would be much simpler and safer to ask the town for permission or accept the daily tickets and have a qualified mechanic come to the vessel for repairs.

Dan
Hmmm, that makes sense. I assumed it was docked at a house, not a marina.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #174
Dave R

Quote:
With the size of that boat and the crazy wind we had this weekend it would be foolish to try.
I was backpacking in the Catskills all weekend, did not know about the wind on Winni. Makes sense.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #175
ishoot308

Quote:
Maybe it is docked at his house, I don't know...but I can tell you that I guarantee that Seatow ot Towboat US or whoever else does towing on the lake has NEVER towed a 56' boat to someones dock...and at 1.5 million, mine certainly would not be the first especially in 25 MPH winds that were experienced all weekend!

Dan
brk-lnt (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #176
FlyingScot

Quote:

This a great generalizable rule--regardless of whether we can afford something or something is legal or been done before or whatever--we should all be cognizant that there are an awful lot of us on the lake and we should all do what we can to reduce our impact on others. Cheers!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #177
TiltonBB

Quote:
It is docked at Silver Sands Marina.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #178
Outdoorsman

Default Boating Lottery

The ONLY solution is to have the state issue "boat" permits on a lottery basis exactly the same way they do will moose permits. Issue "X" amount of permits per body of water and those are the ONLY boats allowed on those waters of NH.

Think about it.... Moose hunting permits are handed out this same way....

PS: This is sarcasm.... or is it?>
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #179
garysanfran

Default The Weirs docks...

I was watching boats docking at The Weirs last weekend and am curious...Hardly anyone docks on the inside, always on the outside at the docks end so as to not get "locked in". If you do dock on the inside and get locked-in, what is the proper etiquette if you want to leave? Do you just sit and wait for the outside boat owner to return? Do you move someone else's boat? Or do you do what I do and just stay away? Touching someone else's boat is not something I would ever do.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #180
Phantom

Rule #1 -- NEVER touch someone else's boat, unless you are assisting them.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #181
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I was watching boats docking at The Weirs last weekend and am curious...Hardly anyone docks on the inside, always on the outside at the docks end so as to not get "locked in". If you do dock on the inside and get locked-in, what is the proper etiquette if you want to leave? Do you just sit and wait for the outside boat owner to return? Do you move someone else's boat? Or do you do what I do and just stay away? Touching someone else's boat is not something I would ever do.
You sited all the reasons why no one uses the inside slip, no one wants to be locked in and no one wants to nor should they touch another’s boat

Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #182
JADAQ

Quote:
My son was at a business conference with him at church landing. Started Sunday ending Tuesday.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #183
ApS

Arrow Sometimes $2000 Clears "Clutter" of Trees from The View...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Who knows what the story is here, but the friends I have/I've known with money definitely see the rules differently. I actually posted something on the Facebook forum recently that was based on one such friend: when he saw, "$50 fine for XXXX," he interpreted it as, "it costs $50 to do XXXX."
Same with waterfront trees.

They pay the fine so they have the view.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #184
brk-lnt

Quote:
My son was at a business conference with him at church landing. Started Sunday ending Tuesday.
A 3-day event doesn't explain the boat being there for that duration, unless it was being used for entertainment in conjunction with the event, or something like that.

You can't (legally) sleep on it at the town docks, and it's not like Church Landing is a long commute from GI. So, he was either going home at night, or staying at the hotel, I would presume.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #185
joey2665

Quote:
In my opinion it’s not reason for him to leave his boat at the town dock for 3 days. Could have more easily taken his car.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #186
Garcia

Quote:
A 3-day event doesn't explain the boat being there for that duration, unless it was being used for entertainment in conjunction with the event, or something like that.

You can't (legally) sleep on it at the town docks, and it's not like Church Landing is a long commute from GI. So, he was either going home at night, or staying at the hotel, I would presume.
The boat exceeded the three hour limit at a public dock. Maybe there was a great reason for it, maybe not. I'm skeptical because I see so many flagrant violations of the three hour rule on a regular, ongoing basis. Yes, I am making assumptions, but in my experience the vast majority of abusers of the public docks do so out of convenience for themselves, not need. This has a negative effect on the rest of us who follow the rules.

If that is not the case here, my apologies to the owner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-26-2019), joey2665 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #187
Dave R

Quote:
The boat exceeded the three hour limit at a public dock. Maybe there was a great reason for it, maybe not. I'm skeptical because I see so many flagrant violations of the three hour rule on a regular, ongoing basis. Yes, I am making assumptions, but in my experience the vast majority of abusers of the public docks do so out of convenience for themselves, not need. This has a negative effect on the rest of us who follow the rules.

If that is not the case here, my apologies to the owner.
Simple solution would be for Meredith to progressively charge (dearly) by the foot for limited transient dockage that exceeds the 3 hour limit, like just about the whole rest of the world (including a NH city) does...

An even better solution would be for Meredith to allow transient dockage described above AND to install transient moorings at a substantially reduced rate (compared to dockage rates) and offer a free dinghy dock and/or a fee launch service, like just about the whole rest of the world does...

This whole concept of every boat having to go back to its home slip every night is really stupid. All those public docks on the lake are utterly wasted for roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of each day of the boating season and the towns and marinas are losing out on a ton of revenue.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #188
joey2665

Quote:
Simple solution would be for Meredith to progressively charge (dearly) by the foot for limited transient dockage that exceeds the 3 hour limit, like just about the whole rest of the world (including a NH city) does...

An even better solution would be for Meredith to allow transient dockage described above AND to install transient moorings at a substantially reduced rate (compared to dockage rates) and offer a free dinghy dock and/or a fee launch service, like just about the whole rest of the world does...

This whole concept of every boat having to go back to its home slip every night is really stupid. All those public docks on the lake are utterly wasted for roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of each day of the boating season and the towns and marinas are losing out on a ton of revenue.
To me the best answer is for every town dock to have a dock master which solves to problem of overstaying and who is next in line (which is always an issue on busy weekends) and change a small fee to cover the cost of the dockmaster.

The main reason for not allowing overnight stays is really not geared toward residents or property owners but instead for vacationers who can throw their boat in the water and live off their boat for their stay thus avoiding paying a hotel.motel and the hotel tax
ishoot308 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #189
Garcia

Quote:
To me the best answer is for every town dock to have a dock master which solves to problem of overstaying and who is next in line (which is always an issue on busy weekends) and change a small fee to cover the cost of the dockmaster.

The main reason for not allowing overnight stays is really not geared toward residents or property owners but instead for vacationers who can throw their boat in the water and live off their boat for their stay thus avoiding paying a hotel.motel and the hotel tax
Even better, limit the size of boats on the lake with a simple and fair formula. Anyone can own and operate a boat 15 feet or smaller. For every year you have on the lake, you earn the right to an extra foot. Sure they'll be people like me in our 60+ foot boats, but at least we'll have experience on the lake

Seriously, just follow the intent and the letter of the law and we all benefit.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #190
joey2665

Quote:
Even better, limit the size of boats on the lake with a simple and fair formula. Anyone can own and operate a boat 15 feet or smaller. For every year you have on the lake, you earn the right to an extra foot. Sure they'll be people like me in our 60+ foot boats, but at least we'll have experience on the lake

Seriously, just follow the intent and the letter of the law and we all benefit.
That sounds good but isn't that why we have a police department?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #191
tis

Quote:

A SMALL fee? Surely you are dreaming Joey. And even if it started out small you know what would happen.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #192
joey2665

Quote:
A SMALL fee? Surely you are dreaming Joey. And even if it started out small you know what would happen.
No I am not dreaming! They do it here in NY and the fee is usually 10.00 for the stay.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #193
fatlazyless

If everyone was only allowed to own a 14' vee hull, open aluminum boat with a 15-hp Evinrude outboard, both boat and motor made before 1980 ....... finding a parking spot at a local town dock would NOT be a problem!

I will be running for NH governor with this boat docking message!

..... thankyou very much ..... and vote for my plan!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #194
Descant

Default Glendale model

Quote:
No I am not dreaming! They do it here in NY and the fee is usually 10.00 for the stay.
The police officer on duty at the Glendale docks does a fine job keeping things running smoothly. They even accept UPS/FedEx. A great model for other towns /public docks.

It's "FREE"! The government pays for it. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #195
Dave R

Quote:

Yup, most towns in NY have a great plan for public dock use and it's a fantastic state for recreational boating because of it. The popular towns charge for a stay and the less popular towns don't charge and often have incentives (free shore-power, bathrooms/showers, laundry facilities, shuttle buses etc.) to encourage people to stop and tie up (and spend money locally). It's simple supply and demand and based on extensive cruising there, I can say it works quite well. The warm and welcoming atmosphere I have experienced in NY waterfront towns is exactly opposite of what I experience here in NH. We could do so much better...

Meredith and Wolfeboro could be raking in big bucks all the time. Alton, Center Harbor and Weirs Beach could fill their docks with overnight boaters that pay a reasonable transient fee and spend a lot of money at local businesses. Imagine the bar bills people would rack up if they did not have to pilot their boat back to their dock in the dark. Additionally, imagine the breakfast joint revenues the next day... I think we can all agree that areas that have a few thriving restaurants typically also have thriving retail and hospitality establishments. People want to go where other people go.

One other thing that could really help with crowded town docks is to allow rafting where there's space for it. That's pretty normal outside NH too... It's crazy that with all the space between docks in Meredith that they don't allow rafting there; it's ideal for it. A Dockmaster could even offer discounts to incentivize people to allow rafting to their boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #196
Hillcountry

Quote:
Yup, most towns in NY have a great plan for public dock use and it's a fantastic state for recreational boating because of it. The popular towns charge for a stay and the less popular towns don't charge and often have incentives (free shore-power, bathrooms/showers, laundry facilities, shuttle buses etc.) to encourage people to stop and tie up (and spend money locally). It's simple supply and demand and based on extensive cruising there, I can say it works quite well. The warm and welcoming atmosphere I have experienced in NY waterfront towns is exactly opposite of what I experience here in NH. We could do so much better...

Meredith and Wolfeboro could be raking in big bucks all the time. Alton, Center Harbor and Weirs Beach could fill their docks with overnight boaters that pay a reasonable transient fee and spend a lot of money at local businesses. Imagine the bar bills people would rack up if they did not have to pilot their boat back to their dock in the dark. Additionally, imagine the breakfast joint revenues the next day... I think we can all agree that areas that have a few thriving restaurants typically also have thriving retail and hospitality establishments. People want to go where other people go.

One other thing that could really help with crowded town docks is to allow rafting where there's space for it. That's pretty normal outside NH too... It's crazy that with all the space between docks in Meredith that they don't allow rafting there; it's ideal for it. A Dockmaster could even offer discounts to incentivize people to allow rafting to their boat.
I agree with almost everything you just said except one thing...I usually want to go where there are NO other people...
Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #197
ishoot308

Default Dock Master

I really like the idea of having a dock master at town docks to control and monitor docking. This wouldn't cost the much and would really benefit both boater and town and in my opinion pay for itself...

Dan
Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #198
tis

Yes by all means. Let's bring NY to NH. Didn't we have a discussion about this?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #199
thinkxingu

Quote:
Yes by all means. Let's bring NY to NH. Didn't we have a discussion about this?
Agreed. I liked being able to go out in the afternoon for ice cream and morning for breakfast without worrying the docks are full. Also, a charge at each dock would just increase the costs associated with boating--it's already priced out a lot of people.

Just. Do. The. Right. Thing.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #200
Dave R

Quote:
I agree with almost everything you just said except one thing...I usually want to go where there are NO other people...
Me too, but I think we are unusual that way... My points are from a tourism business development point of view.