Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... Lowe's military 10% discount?

When shopping at the Lowe's in Gilford, it is standard procedure to be offered a 10% military discount when paying at one of the check-outs. So, the first few times going through this, I was a little bit miffed since I have no military service.

Then, one time it dawned on me, that I basically received my 10% discount in advance, back on April 1, 1970, when I first learned that my Vietnam draft lottery number was 302, and everyone with 180 and higher was most likely exempt from serving, and fighting in Vietnam.

So's now whenever I get asked at the Gilford Lowe's about their ten percent military discount offer ....... I always say .......sorry, but I already got my discount, back on April fool's day, 1970. And, that leads to different varied reactions from surrounding people, at the time. I had one guy about my age, in the line behind me, actually say; " no kidding, is that right, you know I got a very high number myself but I always keep that quiet" ...... and he shook my hand ..... and started laughing as he walked away ..... oh well! ......
Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Actually that's not true, to obtain a 10% veteran's discount at Lowes requires that you establish a My Lowes account and in the process of getting that you must provide proof of service. This is easily done online since they can validate your service number against the VA. It is only offered to those who have been honorably discharged, active duty or in the reserves.

Once your card is issued that is scanned at the time you check out where the discount is applied. They DO NOT give that discount out without a validated My Lowes card.

Kudos to Lowes for doing this and they really do take 10% off everything every day no limits even off sale prices.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (02-11-2019), upthesaukee (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #3
fatlazyless

On top of the 10% discount, veterans from Massachusetts who buy at the Gilford Lowe's also save from having to pay the 6.25% Mass sales tax, so that makes it a double-discount for Mass veterans.

The Mass sales tax is a sales and use tax, and Mass residents are supposedly supposed to still pay their 6.25% tax to Mass on items purchased in New Hampshire, but probably Mass has no way to really collect it, so it goes unpaid?

10% & 6.25% = 16.25% ....... wow ..... that's like a big discount, and there's lots of Mass license plates parked at Lowe's on the weekends plus on weekdays, too?

On the other hand, if you buy your paint, across the road at Walmart, it still costs less and it's Glidden paint, the 2nd biggest paint maker in the country, and is excellent paint ...... plus Walmart has these small brown paper bags of baked potato wedges for a price like $1.05, plus the 9% NH prepared food tax. Easy to eat as you walk about the store, going shopping.

Maybe New Hampshire could offer veterans a discount on the 9%-prepared food tax, and make it zero, to equal what you pay in tax for these potato wedges at a Massachusetts Walmart? And, these are some very good tasting baked potato wedges!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
On top of the 10% discount, veterans from Massachusetts who buy at the Gilford Lowe's also save from having to pay the 6.25% Mass sales tax, so that makes it a double-discount for Mass veterans.

The Mass sales tax is a sales and use tax, and Mass residents are supposedly supposed to still pay their 6.25% tax to Mass on items purchased in New Hampshire, but probably Mass has no way to really collect it, so it goes unpaid?

10% & 6.25% = 16.25% ....... wow ..... that's like a big discount, and there's lots of Mass license plates parked at Lowe's on the weekends plus on weekdays, too?
If you are seeing those Mass license plates at the Gilford Lowe's you can assume that the vast majority are property owners in the area and shopping for those NH homes. I think what you allude to is much more common at the stores on the MA/NH state line.

The Mass sales and use tax is just what it says but applies only to items purchased in Mass or used in Mass. For large items such as vehicles, most states do not collect sales tax as long as the item is delivered to a different state and many have laws that require the seller to ship it. If the buyer's shipping company transports it some states maintain that because your shipping company transported it, you have taken possession of it, and tax is due. That is one of the reasons why so many Mass residents have NH registered boats.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:

On the other hand, if you buy your paint, across the road at Walmart, it still costs less and it's Glidden paint, the 2nd biggest paint maker in the country, and is excellent paint ...... plus Walmart has these small brown paper bags of baked potato wedges for a price like $1.05, plus the 9% NH prepared food tax. Easy to eat as you walk about the store, going shopping.

Maybe New Hampshire could offer veterans a discount on the 9%-prepared food tax, and make it zero, to equal what you pay in tax for these potato wedges at a Massachusetts Walmart? And, these are some very good tasting baked potato wedges!
Glidden paint suxs! You won't see any quality professional painter using Glidden paint. The DIY customers buy it because it's cheap.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Actually that's not true, to obtain a 10% veteran's discount at Lowes requires that you establish a My Lowes account and in the process of getting that you must provide proof of service. This is easily done online since they can validate your service number against the VA. It is only offered to those who have been honorably discharged, active duty or in the reserves.

Once your card is issued that is scanned at the time you check out where the discount is applied. They DO NOT give that discount out without a validated My Lowes card.

Kudos to Lowes for doing this and they really do take 10% off everything every day no limits even off sale prices.
Its a great program. You can also download the Lowes App to your phone and have them scan that, so you don't have to dig for the card.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Bob M

Default Lowes

Once you are registered you are in the Lowes system countrywide and all you have to do is give them your phone number to receive the discount.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

You can sign up for the discount in person and link it to just a phone number, no mylowes card needed. You have to bring in a copy of your DD214 and a photo ID. The discount also applies to a spouse so if you share a home phone number then he or she can get the discount at checkout by giving the phone number. I originally signed up this way, later got the mylowes card and attached one of the provided bar codes to a credit card. Having the card is more convenient and I believe that my wife can still get the discount via giving our home phone number. With the card you can use the self checkout, just scan your mylowes bar code 1st.

And they (usually) thank you for your service.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I think what you allude to is much more common at the stores on the MA/NH state line.
Yes it is fascinating that all those south of the border, support all that big government, heavy taxation and of course part of everyone must pay their fair share crowd, cry about income inequality and the endless litany of complaints shamelessly skirt the very system they put into place to fix this by shopping tax free in NH. Ain't that something!

Far as the Vets discount goes, Lowes really did it right (unlike Home Depot's feeble attempt to do the same - plus all the restrictions). I'm sure Lowes is reaping a lot of repeat customers as a result. I exclusively buy from them and will only give Home Depot business if I have no other choice.

Thanks to all the Vets on here, especially those who actually saw real combat.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
You can sign up for the discount in person and link it to just a phone number, no mylowes card needed.
I concur with this. I've been using the military discount at Lowe's for years, and I've never signed up for a My Lowe's account. They ask for my phone number at the register, verify my eligibility, and the 10% discount is applied.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
tummyman

Despite 6 years in the National Guard (back in the days of Vietnam), Home Depot said i did not qualify. Never checked Lowes.....
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
Biggd

Is that 10% on top of the 5% you get for using the Lowes credit card? Or are you getting an additional 5% to make it 10% in total?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
fatlazyless

.... Now you all listen to me, see ..... now, I am like the greatest painter ever ..... since paint was first invented ..... in the world history of paint, see ..... and, when I say that Glidden makes some great paint ..... I absolutely, positively, absolutely, know what I know , see! That Glidden sold at the Gilford Walmart is some good paint!

And, as far as hitting #302 in the 4/1/70 Vietnam draft lottery, (April fool's ..... you are hereby conscripted!) it still makes me feel like I get an automatic discount, every time I go to Lowe's. Why, just compare that with the White House, which by the way, was painted with 'simply white' Glidden paint from Walmart ...... you get the picture!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #14
barefootbay

Ditto the above for Home Depot. No Home Depot account needed just proof of service ie. VA card,DD 214.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #15
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Is that 10% on top of the 5% you get for using the Lowes credit card? Or are you getting an additional 5% to make it 10% in total?
10% total, Lowes credit card or not. I did try that out. Sill a great deal.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I believe it is 10% total. They will not let you combine discounts to get it to 15%.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #17
dave603

You also do not get the discount on items that are already reduced or on sale.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default No combining dscounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
You also do not get the discount on items that are already reduced or on sale.
We bought a washer dryer last fall, on sale. They went back to the non-sale price and offered a choice of sale price or retail, with Vet discount. In my experience, HD pretty much does the same thing (maybe not the phone number thing, I just show ID), so we tend to go to the place that is closer, or has what we want now.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Biggd

Home Depots prices are generally cheaper on everything. I prefer HD but Lowes does offer some thing that HD doesn't.
Lowes lighting department is much better than HD's, IMO.

I'm actually going to Lowes this weekend to buy tile for my bathroom floor because I could find what I was looking for at HD. But I buy much more at HD than Lowes.
HD sends me discounts coupons but I never get any from Lowes and I have both of their cards.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #20
Descant

Default Other Vet discounts & drifting

OK. Lowe's and HD, as national chains. Who else in the Lakes Region offers (unique) military or veteran's discounts? State parks and many ski areas have deals for active duty personnel. Many restaurants have Veteran's Day specials. Who else, year round?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #21
fatlazyless

Default ... Barron's in beautiful Belmont!

The Baron's appliance store in nearby, beautiful Belmont is a totally excellent store, plus it has a bigger, wider, and broader selection of appliances than the big box stores.

It will price match and beat a price from a big box if you show them the big box estimate in writing. They can get appliances that the big boxes cannot get, plus all their prices are competitive, and they totally hate, hate, hate to lose a sale to a big box.

Plus, there's more going on with Baron's price policies than I know, as it's been a few years ..... but is worth the effort to go price shop at Baron's ..... before you reach for your piggy bank full of quarters.

www.baronsmajorbrands.com

Plus, if you mention you totally avoided the Vietnam draft lottery by hitting a #180 or higher, back in 1969-1972, they will present you with a small American flag, a loud military style drum roll, and present to you a bright orange colored wig ... .... just kidding ... ho-ho-ho.

Baron's Major Brands is the big box beater, which is how they survive in business for so long while located in Belmont, which is half way between the two Gilford and Tilton big box stores, and Baron's is all about appliances, so they can quickly get that off-size 24" propane stove, or 18" stainless dishwasher. You need to show up with a print-out or written big box estimate, and they will beat it, plus their sales and delivery people are more service oriented.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-01-2019 at 02:15 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
OK. Lowe's and HD, as national chains. Who else in the Lakes Region offers (unique) military or veteran's discounts? State parks and many ski areas have deals for active duty personnel. Many restaurants have Veteran's Day specials. Who else, year round?
LUND boats offers a military discount on the purchase of a new boat. Discount varies by model.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 PM   #23
Descant

Default LUND Boats discunt

That's huge, to coin a phase. Thank you. Maybe we'll hear from others at/after the boat show next week.
Now is a good tim e for any dealers/ mfg to let us know here.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #24
fatlazyless

Lund boats are unbelievably expensive, like you can pay $30,000 for an 18' Lund aluminum boat, motor, and trailer. Plus they come with very ugly graphics on the outside of the hull which permanently turns it into a Lund billboard. Unlike Alumacraft, Starcraft and other aluminum boats, Lund is welded as opposed to riveted .... does it make any difference?

Lund is made by the same company that makes Mercury outboards, so you can never get a new Lund with an Evinrude, Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki outboard.

Having said that, I have a Lund 11' jon boat, purchased used for $400 with oars and oar locks, and it rows fantastic and weighs just 85-lbs.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-01-2019 at 02:08 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #25
MAXUM

Quote:
Lund boats are unbelievably expensive, like you can pay $30,000 for an 18' Lund aluminum boat, motor, and trailer. Plus they come with very ugly graphics on the outside of the hull which permanently turns it into a Lund billboard. Unlike Alumacraft, Starcraft and other aluminum boats, Lund is welded as opposed to riveted .... does it make any difference?

Lund is made by the same company that makes Mercury outboards, so you can never get a new Lund with an Evinrude, Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki outboard.

Having said that, I have a Lund 11' jon boat, purchased used for $400 with oars and oar locks, and it rows fantastic and weighs just 85-lbs.
Pretty much all of what you said is completely FALSE. I suggest you actually look on LUND's website before you start throwing bogus information out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-03-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
NHN8V

Default home depot vs lowes

Lowes gives 10% discount to ALL VETERANS. Home Depot only gives 10% discount to Disabled Veterans (service connected). Using a military type ID you get the vet discount at Home depot, but if you use a VA medical ID, it must have the words "service connected" under your picture,at Home Depots in Rochester Nh, Ocala FL, and Crystal River FL it happened to me, denied with my non service connected VA medical ID.

Last edited by NHN8V; 02-10-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: additional info
NHN8V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #27
NHN8V

Default Lowes vs Home Depot

Lowes will match any Home Depot price on same item.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #28
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHN8V View Post
Lowes gives 10% discount to ALL VETERANS. Home Depot only gives 10% discount to Disabled Veterans (service connected).
I am not disabled but I get a discount at HD.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #29
Cobalt 25

I have a 30% service connected disability but I don't think HD asked about that when I got the 10% off qualification.

Thanks HD and Lowe's.
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #30
Descant

Default Vat's help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I have a 30% service connected disability but I don't think HD asked about that when I got the 10% off qualification.

Thanks HD and Lowe's.
I'm active in local service projects. We don't have a Lowe's in town, but if you do research on Google, HD is big on doing projects, materials and employee volunteer teams for all sorts of disabled Vets construction projects. Maybe Lowe's too, just not a Lowe's in my town. The local lumber yard, non-chain, is helpful too. When I go rattling the tin cup, I don't discriminated. In fact the local non-chains are more generous than the chains, so they always get my business first.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #31
barefootbay

Not So. I am not disabled just a Vet and have gotten 10% discount at HD many times.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #32
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Home Depot only gives 10% discount to Disabled Veterans (service connected).
This is not true.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #33
Descant

Default Not disabled

I am not disabled. I routinely get a discount from HD.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #34
hoopdawg

Home Depot’s 10% Military Discount Policy

An online customer service rep recently gave me this information about Home Depot military discounts:
•Year-round: Home Depot’s military discount is offered throughout the year.
•10% Military Discount: Home Depot’s 10% discount is applicable to purchases with a $500 maximum discount. There are some exclusions, including installation products or services, Gift Cards, special buy appliances, and some commodities, such as building materials. The discount is not available for online purchases.
•Eligibility – U.S. stores: The discount is offered in the U.S. to all active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. Veterans who do not have a VA service-connected disability rating may only be eligible for the military discount during national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day.
•Military ID: To use Home Depot’s discount, you should present acceptable proof of military service.

The 10% Lowe’s discount also applies to veterans who served honorably, as well as and their families.

Here is the specific discount information:

To receive the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in or a veteran* of the US armed forces or be the immediate family member (Spouses and/or dependent children up to 18 years old). Once the service member signs up for the discount program on Lowes.com, it will be linked to a MyLowe’s card that may also be used by immediate family.

and

Enroll in the program online. Lowe’s uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.

*Veteran includes all individuals who are retired from the US armed forces or who have been discharged (e.g., honorable, under honorable condition, general). Individuals dishonorably discharged or for bad conduct are not eligible to receive a military discount.
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hoopdawg For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-03-2019), Resident 2B (02-11-2019), Top-Water (02-03-2019), upthesaukee (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Follows what I went through

I went to Home Depot to look at a snowblower about two years ago. Found one I liked for right around $1,000. I had my DD214 with me and asked about a veteran's discount. I was told that my status only got the discount on certain holidays as noted above.

I then went to Lowes and found a unit I had researched online, for around $1,300. The sales guy asked if I was a veteran and I said yes. When we got to the register, the cashier said that with my status the discount only applied for certain holidays, but called a manager over and he modified the price to reflect the discount. Also got a Lowes credit card to get no interest for 6 months.

Shortly thereafter, we got an email saying that Lowes was now offering a veteran's discount year round, with little restriction. We applied and ithe discount is linked to MyLowes card and the Lowes credit card. My wife can give them our phone number, and get the discount if I'm not with her. Thank you Lowes.

Dave
Resident 2B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Sounds like you got maybe an Ariens 30" snowblower ...... a BIG machine ...... how's that working out for you?
Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #37
MAXUM

Here's a list of all the boat manufacturer's that nationally advertise military discounts. They all vary depending on model.

Alumacraft
Crestliner
Lowe
Lund
Triton (including Police and Fire)
Cypress Cay
Harris
Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #38
upthesaukee

Default Troybuilt

Quote:
Sounds like you got maybe an Ariens 30" snowblower ...... a BIG machine ...... how's that working out for you?
Troybuilt 3 stage. Love it. It has electric start, but pulls so easily and always starts 1st pull.
Only thing I don't like about it is that the chute is controlled by a joystick. I would rather have a crank.

Back to the discount thread

Dave
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #39
NHN8V

Default home depot vs lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
This is not true.
i guess not all home depots have the same policy. I was denied a veterans 10% discount at home depot using my VA medical ID because my card did not have the words "service connected" printed under my picture; happened at home depots in Rochester NH, Ocala FL, and Crystal River FL, all true statements.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #40
P-3 Guy

Quote:
i guess not all home depots have the same policy. I was denied a veterans 10% discount at home depot using my VA medical ID because my card did not have the words "service connected" printed under my picture; happened at home depots in Rochester NH, Ocala FL, and Crystal River FL, all true statements.
Yes, with the editing done yesterday to your post that I responded to, you have come closer to HD's official policy. It's still not true that "Home Depot only gives 10% discount to Disabled Veterans (service connected)."
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #41
ApS

Default No Wind-Storm Insurance Before or After Hurricane...

Quote:
This site says, in part:
Quote:
"Discounts may be hit or miss. At the end of the day, we should appreciate the fact that these companies are making an effort to support our community. If the discount isn’t applied, then please thank them anyway and show these companies our gratitude and appreciation for supporting our community".
https://themilitarywallet.com/home-d...tary-discount/
FWIW-1: While using their parking lot to turn around, I spotted a new banner at K-Mart that offered a "10% Veterans discount".

FWIW-2: After Hurricane Irma, I sure could have used a 10% Home Depot military discount, but between soldering-in a new HD water heater, replacing two HD doors, resetting a flattened chain link fence upright, and replacing a garage door, the paperwork seemed like a lot of trouble. Other HD Hurricane Irma trouble.

(And now we're told the discount is "Hit-or-Miss").

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #42
Cobalt 25

NHN8V,

I would be very unhappy with ANY Home Depot that denied you the 10% off. I learned about it from my platoon buddy who was getting it in Oklahoma. And when I went to the HD and Lowe's here on (and near) the Cape they NEVER asked me anything about a service connected disability.

Maybe it's time to speak with a manager. I believe you are entitled to those benefits and I sure hope nobody proves me wrong.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #43
Old Sarge

I think Home Depot sells a higher quality product overall than does Lowe's.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #44
fatlazyless

Both Lowe's and Home Depot are truly excellent stores, and having one in Tilton, and one in Gilford, with Lakeport Hardware, and Baron's Major Brands in between the two, makes the road from Tilton to Gilford a great hardware store and home appliances shopping mecca ..... live free & buy it in NH!

Baron's has more choices, and will price match and beat a price quote in writing from either big box.

Crappy courtesy coffee is what you get at both Lowe's and Home Depot. They should upgrade to a k-cup self serve and charge like 40-cents with a quality paper cup. A quality store wants a quality cup of coffee!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #45
MAXUM

Quote:
Both Lowe's and Home Depot are truly excellent stores, and having one in Tilton, and one in Gilford, with Lakeport Hardware, and Baron's Major Brands in between the two, makes the road from Tilton to Gilford a great hardware store and home appliances shopping mecca ..... live free & buy it in NH!

Baron's has more choices, and will price match and beat a price quote in writing from either big box.

Crappy courtesy coffee is what you get at both Lowe's and Home Depot. They should upgrade to a k-cup self serve and charge like 40-cents with a quality paper cup. A quality store wants a quality cup of coffee!
Actually last time I was at Lowes they were serving Green Mountain Coffee which is not a crappy brand.

I applaud them for NOT using K-cups - they contain more plastic than a straw and are extremely environmentally unfriendly. In fact they should be banned.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #46
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Actually last time I was at Lowes they were serving Green Mountain Coffee which is not a crappy brand.

I applaud them for NOT using K-cups - they contain more plastic than a straw and are extremely environmentally unfriendly. In fact they should be banned.
Oh well ..... is true what you say ..... here in NH .... it all ends up somewhere in beautiful Bethlehem, NH ... at www.casella.com/locations/bethlehem-nh-landfill .... the town situated at the highest elevation in the state .... according to an historic state plaque on Main St, there
Old 03-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #47
ApS

Red face Still Hit-or-Miss, but It's Something...

Quote:
Lowes gives 10% discount to ALL VETERANS.
Home Depot only gives 10% discount to Disabled Veterans (service connected). Using a military type ID you get the vet discount at Home depot, but if you use a VA medical ID, it must have the words "service connected" under your picture, at Home Depots in Rochester Nh, Ocala FL, and Crystal River FL it happened to me, denied with my non service connected VA medical ID.
I walked in with my Honorable Discharge certificate and DD214, and inquired at Home Depot's Returns counter. The manager reviewed my documentation, then asked if I had a "military ID card". (I do, but will have to do a major search for it) . The manager disappeared, and returned with a copy of their Internet discount-policy page, and wrote 10%-off up to $50.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #48
Major

Default Lowe's Military Discount

When I applied for and received my 10% discount, my understanding was that the military discount only applied to active duty and retired service members. Being in the military or even a veteran was not enough. In order to receive the discount, I needed to present my U.S. Army Reserve Retired identification card (DD Form 2 (Res.Ret.)). It appears that service members with a service-connected disability and a VA ID card may also be eligible.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #49
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
When I applied for and received my 10% discount, my understanding was that the military discount only applied to active duty and retired service members. Being in the military or even a veteran was not enough. In order to receive the discount, I needed to present my U.S. Army Reserve Retired identification card (DD Form 2 (Res.Ret.)). It appears that service members with a service-connected disability and a VA ID card may also be eligible.
Maybe when you were applying, you were talking with a Lowe's person who was misinformed. The Lowe's 10% military discount program applies to any active and reserve members of the US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, National Guard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the United States Public Health Service (USPHS).

It also includes all individuals who are retired from the US armed forces or who have been discharged (e.g., honorable, under honorable condition, general). Individuals dishonorably discharged or for bad conduct are not eligible to receive a military discount.

So, being in the military or a veteran is enough to get the Lowe's 10% military discount, as long as the individual did not receive a dishonorable discharge or the Big Chicken Dinner (bad conduct discharge).

https://www.lowes.com/l/in-store-ser...iscountProgram
The Following User Says Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #50
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I presented my DD214; four years active duty in the late 60's. I brought a copy to the Lowe's Gilford customer service counter and immediately was signed up for the 10% discount.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #51
Orion

Default Love Lowes

Not only does Lowe’s give me the no-fuss veteran discount (I have my Mil status applied to my Lowe’s account), my local Lowe’s has three Veteran-Only reserved parking spaces close to store!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #52
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I walked in with my Honorable Discharge certificate and DD214, and inquired at Home Depot's Returns counter. The manager reviewed my documentation, then asked if I had a "military ID card". (I do, but will have to do a major search for it) . The manager disappeared, and returned with a copy of their Internet discount-policy page, and wrote 10%-off up to $50.

Not for nothing but that's rather insulting - personally if they (HD) are going to cap that discount at $50 and make it that much of a pain to get it, why even bother? Seems more like a PR stunt than anything else.

OTH - Lowes just gives you a flat 10% on everything, no caps no exceptions that I've run into, except for specially manager marked down yellow tagged items in the store.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #53
Skip

Post Bottom line.....DD vs. Lowes

Definitely a lot of different experiences, all appearing to be store dependent.

Lowe's has the best and easiest policy. 10% discount for a verified honorably discharged veteran 24/7/365.

Home Depot continues with their convoluted policy of (at the corporate level) that a honorably discharged veteran only gets an automatic discount (with proof of service) during certain dates of the year.

So why the store to store confusion?

All Home Depot management and most department heads have the authority to offer a customer a 10% discount if that member of management believes it is in the best interest of the store and the customer, with whatever caveat they so choose to add. That would explain the hand written exception with arbitrary $50 limit given ApS.

Case in point: last fall I needed to buy storm windows that were priced comparably and available at my local HD and Lowes. They were special order, but I would still have received by 10% discount automatically at Lowes. However, I was nervous about getting the custom sizes correct and knew the manager at HD could ensure the windows would be ordered correctly. I mentioned to him I was entitled to the 10% veterans discount at Lowes, but not at HD as the applicable dates weren't currently open. He replied "no problem" and that he had the authority to give me a 10% discount for any reason, which he promptly did.

So I believe the confusion comes from the fact that some receive partial of full veteran's discounts at HD, not during the dates specified, because the salesperson is utilizing management's all encompassing 10% policy. Bottom line, when at HD, hope you get a caring and understanding associate that values your business enough to go the extra mile to match Lowes 10% veteran discount policy, as the Rochester HD currently does!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #54
patman

OR...it’s pretty easy to find Lowe’s 10% coupons online that anyone can use, veteran or not. Sometimes they have better coupons active too, like $40 off $200...so 10% is better on that $500 appliance, but $40 off is great for that $250 saw.

Https://www.slickdeals.net is one place you can find coupon sources. Or do a web search for ‘lowes coupon generator’

The coupons are generally only usable for online orders, but you can do ‘buy online pick up in store’ to get around that.

Last edited by patman; 03-28-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fixed url
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #55
barefootbay

I think at either store it depends on which clerk you get wether you get a military discount and what the prerequisites are. I have also had mixed responses at both facilities. Too bad the policy isn’t more clearly delineated to all involved.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #56
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
I think at either store it depends on which clerk you get wether you get a military discount and what the prerequisites are. I have also had mixed responses at both facilities. Too bad the policy isn’t more clearly delineated to all involved.
At least at Lowe's, if you go through the one-time verification process run by a 3rd party, individual clerks have nothing to do with approving or denying a military discount. After you've been verified, at check out ask for the military discount and the cashier will ask for your phone number, enter it into the system, and the discount will be applied. Easy.

Use the link provided on this Lowe's web page to get verified:

Old 03-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #57
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
At least at Lowe's, if you go through the one-time verification process run by a 3rd party, individual clerks have nothing to do with approving or denying a military discount. After you've been verified, at check out ask for the military discount and the cashier will ask for your phone number, enter it into the system, and the discount will be applied. Easy.

Use the link provided on this Lowe's web page to get verified:

That's what I did, got a "My Lowes" card in the mail and every time I go there whip that out, they scan it at the register, discount applied. Very easy! I have done this online and at the stores in Amherst, Bedford, Concord, Tilton and Gilford.

Another nice thing with the My Lowes card is access to all your purchase history online so it makes any returns very easy and no need to provide a hard receipt.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #58
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
That is incorrect as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. Once you register with Lowe's (and no, you DO NOT need a Lowe's credit card) you simply use the card they supply, or the Lowe's APP on your phone, and the discount is applied at the register automatically. The only difference between Lowe's stores and sometimes employees within is which one's actually read the register screen close enough to quip "thank your for your service".

Also, both the Lowe's policy and the Home Depot policy is fully explained on their corporate web sites and all employees receive orientation training on the policy as part of their initial training. The only significant difference is HD severely limits the dates/conditions the policy applies to veterans, but most employees at HD can override the policy and grant up to a 10% discount depending on what that particular store manager allows. Strictly arbitrary on their part.

The only way you will be turned down for the 10% credit at a Lowe's is if you haven't previously registered and are unable to produce a valid DD214 clearly stating you have a honorable discharge. Old ID cards, a tattered "I Served" hat or your buddy vouching does not suffice for the DD214, unless your obnoxious and the poor clerk just wants to get you out of the store...

Its really quite that simple....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
trfour (03-29-2019), upthesaukee (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #59
Rusty

Both Lowes and Home Depot will accept a veterans designation on your drivers license.
That is what I did a couple of years ago.

Effective July 1, 2014, RSA 263:40 allows a Veteran with an Honorable Discharge to request to have a Veteran Indicator on their New Hampshire Driver License, Commercial Driver License or Non-Driver ID card for the purposes of identification for receiving benefits and services under New Hampshire law.

To obtain a Veteran Indicator, please fill out the appropriate application (Driver License or Non-Driver IDAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbolor Commercial Driver LicenseAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbol), and bring it to any one of our DMV locations around the State, along with proof of Honorable Discharge, as defined in RSA 21:50.

If you wish to add this indicator during your renewal, there will be no additional cost; however, if you wish to add the indicator outside of your renewal period please be advised that there is a $3.00 fee for the replacement license or ID card.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...-indicator.htm
Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #60
trfour

Post Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
That is incorrect as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. Once you register with Lowe's (and no, you DO NOT need a Lowe's credit card) you simply use the card they supply, or the Lowe's APP on your phone, and the discount is applied at the register automatically. The only difference between Lowe's stores and sometimes employees within is which one's actually read the register screen close enough to quip "thank your for your service".

Also, both the Lowe's policy and the Home Depot policy is fully explained on their corporate web sites and all employees receive orientation training on the policy as part of their initial training. The only significant difference is HD severely limits the dates/conditions the policy applies to veterans, but most employees at HD can override the policy and grant up to a 10% discount depending on what that particular store manager allows. Strictly arbitrary on their part.

The only way you will be turned down for the 10% credit at a Lowe's is if you haven't previously registered and are unable to produce a valid DD214 clearly stating you have a honorable discharge. Old ID cards, a tattered "I Served" hat or your buddy vouching does not suffice for the DD214, unless your obnoxious and the poor clerk just wants to get you out of the store...

Its really quite that simple....
Many of us veterans have medical coverage and carry VA photo ID cards and just show that at the checkout. Also, there are many other businesses, restaurants and such that offer veterans up to a 25% discount, however if you don't ask you don't get...

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #61
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Saw this today. Didn't ask about proof required, but I would think they'd make it somewhat easy given how prominently they're advertising it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #62
Major

Funny, the last time I shopped at Lowe's, the cashier asked me for my military ID. I didn't question it, but I thought since I was in the system (I had to provide my home telephone number) that I was already vetted and approved. My takeaway was that perhaps there's some people asking for the discount who did not qualify.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #63
Jersey Bob

Default Lowes discount

I have a My Lowe's card I use every time I go there. I went to the service desk a few years ago with my DD214, showed it to them and they put me in the system. I get the 10% discount when they scan the card. The other advantage is there is a record of my purchases. It is NOT a credit card. You can also give them your phone number.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #64
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Bob View Post
I have a My Lowe's card I use every time I go there. I went to the service desk a few years ago with my DD214, showed it to them and they put me in the system. I get the 10% discount when they scan the card. The other advantage is there is a record of my purchases. It is NOT a credit card. You can also give them your phone number.
I do not have a card (I think my wife has it), so when I approach the cashier, I inform him/her that I am entitled to the military discount and provide them my telephone number. With my last visit, after providing the cashier my telephone number and seeing that I qualified for the discount, she asked for my military ID.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #65
Bob M

When asked for my at the Gilford Lowe's I was told that it was now their policy to ask for identification. I didn't ask if this was just a Gilford store policy or a corporate wide policy.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #66
Descant

Went to Lowe's today. Yesterday, bought a stove on the phone to get the sale price which was expiring. We had to go to the store in person to get the discount, and a supervisor had to be called to enter it, presumably because the transaction was already in process. They did not ask for ID since we were in the system. Fifteen minutes later at Home Depot (Lowe's was out of Vermiculite) the cashier at HD asked for a veteran's ID. The cashier remarked that my VA ID was a card she had never seen and it wasn't on the approved list. Before I could respond, she had rung up the sale with the discount included. The two stores were in Amherst and Merrimack, respectively. (Oddly, HD had no Vermiulite on the shelf either. I suggested that they had four bags when I looked on line an hour earlier. They looked it up--they had 10 bags on a pallet 20 feet in the air in a different part of the store. They got a crew and a forklift and got the pallet down. Very nice, helpful and it only took a few minutes. Oddly, the clerk in the Bedford Lowe's said they had Vermiculite, he had seen it, but then couldn't find it. Kudos to the HD inventory system.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #67
ApS

Thumbs up 25%-off on Furniture—at Lowes

I don't know what's in New Hampshire Post Offices; but, in preparing my address-change forms, Lowe's had inserted a coupon for 25%-off on furniture.

For that 25% discount, you don't even have to shine your shoes.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #68
Cobalt 25

I was very disappointed with Home Depot concerning the recent purchase of a refrigerator. The advertised price was $1,899 so I was fully expecting ten percent to be taken off of that price for my military discount.

No, I was told. That price already included a 10% discount, they said, although it was never made clear WHY there was another 10% discount.

For every other purchase I had made previously the 10% was given with no issues. Was it just because it was a fairly big ticket item that the military discount "disappeared"?

I told the clerk that although I wasn't upset with him (because he was just doing hi job), I was unhappy with the Home Depot policy for taking away what I fully expected to get.

I suppose I should just be thankful for my previous discounts!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #69
harlybuddy

As far as Lowe’s I also asked why they are now asking for Military ID. I was told it was because a building contractor was purchasing things for his jobs using a veterans phone number that was once a customer of his. So he decided to continue using the guys phone number to get 10% off vs the 5 % he was getting as a contractor. So when he was caught they now ask for an ID to make sure your the veteran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harlybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harlybuddy For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-20-2019), Major (05-20-2019), trfour (05-19-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #70
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlybuddy View Post
As far as Lowe’s I also asked why they are now asking for Military ID. I was told it was because a building contractor was purchasing things for his jobs using a veterans phone number that was once a customer of his. So he decided to continue using the guys phone number to get 10% off vs the 5 % he was getting as a contractor. So when he was caught they now ask for an ID to make sure your the veteran.

That makes sense. At least we know why. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #71
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I was very disappointed with Home Depot concerning the recent purchase of a refrigerator. The advertised price was $1,899 so I was fully expecting ten percent to be taken off of that price for my military discount.

No, I was told. That price already included a 10% discount, they said, although it was never made clear WHY there was another 10% discount.

For every other purchase I had made previously the 10% was given with no issues. Was it just because it was a fairly big ticket item that the military discount "disappeared"?

I told the clerk that although I wasn't upset with him (because he was just doing hi job), I was unhappy with the Home Depot policy for taking away what I fully expected to get.

I suppose I should just be thankful for my previous discounts!
I've run into that. HD offered me either the sale price or the Vet's discount (which was better), but not both. Many businesses advertise "May not be combined with other offers"
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #72
iw8surf

I 100% support them asking for proof of service. I get it it's annoying but it should absolutely be verified so people like me (non veterans) do not exploit this and use it for their own personal gain. Yeah, sadly we do live in a world where people do that often.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #73
dave603

My Lowe's cards show I'm a veteran when I swipe it. It automatically takes the 10% off. It does not take it off for certain sales items.

My NH drivers License also indicates veteran status
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #74
harlybuddy

I’m not to sure why that doesn’t make any sense at all. However I know that at Lowe’s no matter what’s on sale even appliances you get the 10% additional military/veterans discount. If I went to Home Depot and that happened to me I would of talked to the manager and if he denied the discount I would of said if that’s the case l will take my business to Lowe’s. They truly honor veterans to include special parking spaces.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #75
Major

I recently bought a smoker from Lowe's discounted from $499 to $250. I got my 10% discount. Same with recently discounted washer and dryer. I have never been denied my discount.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #76
hd333

What do you need to show at Lowe’s to prove you are a veteran ?

My Dad is a veteran and he needs to buy a bunch of stuff and I’d like to tell him how to save 10%.

hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #77
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post

My Dad is a veteran and he needs to buy a bunch of stuff and I’d like to tell him how to save 10%.

I show my retired military ID.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #78
harlybuddy

Unfortunately I must say, if we want to be treated with the respect we deserve and waited for, for so many years, stay out of Home Depot. For some reason their going in the wrong direction in support of us veterans. Just saying.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #79
harlybuddy

Quote:

There is a number of ways you can help your dad save a few bucks. You can have him take his DD214 to Lowe’s and get into their system. However if he is not a retired veteran the best thing to do is take him down to the VA and get a veterans ID card and or bring him to DMV with the DD214 and they will put veterans status on his license. With that you can use it where ever they offer discounts to veterans including some restaurants. Such as T-Bones offers discounts to veterans every Tuesday. Just as an example.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #80
Slickcraft

Quote:

DD214 Honorable discharge form will also work. While there is an online way to do that via the Lowe's website, I took a copy of my DD214 to the customer service desk. They quickly setup my access associated with my phone number. However I also got a "My Lowe's" card which then can be scanned to get the 10% and a thank you for your service. That card came with some stick on bar codes one of which is stuck to a credit card. When scanning items at check out that bar code also gets scanned. Bingo 10% off
Old 05-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #81
Descant

Default Wife too

My wife gets the Lowe's discount too, because she is married to a Vet. I don't need to be there. Her ID (Driver's license) matches the info they have in their data base.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #82
upthesaukee

Default Monday Lowes purchase

We stopped at Lowes in Concord to pick up flowers at their garden center. Opened My Lowes app on my smart phone, cashier scanned the barcode, 10% discount applied, never asked me for an ID, and he thanked me for my service. That's the way it is supposed to be. It's also the way it has been for me, at the Rochester and the Gilford stores , always, never been asked for additional ID.

Dave
Old 04-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #83
Descant

Default No discount on appliances

Just talked to a clerk in the appliance dept (Bedford, NH store). He said 3-4 months ago, they changed their policy and no longer give veteran's discount on appliances. Side issue, very slow delivery on most brands if you want white; 6-9 weeks.
Anybody else run into this change?
Old 04-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #84
Descant

Default No discount on appliances

Just talked to a clerk in the appliance dept (Bedford, NH store). He said 3-4 months ago, they changed their policy and no longer give veteran's discount on appliances. Side issue, very slow delivery on most brands if you want white; 6-9 weeks.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #85
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We just bought a gas grill and associated items from Lowe’s , and I later noticed that everything except the grill received the 10% discount. It could be that sale items, which the grill was, are not eligible for the discount. If you try calling the store, good luck reaching a live, breathing person!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #86
Descant

Default Sale items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We just bought a gas grill and associated items from Lowe’s , and I later noticed that everything except the grill received the 10% discount. It could be that sale items, which the grill was, are not eligible for the discount. If you try calling the store, good luck reaching a live, breathing person!
Last year we lloked at the sale price and the Vet discount price and they gave us the cheaper price, but not both. Today, the explanation was just a"Change of policy" at the beginning of the year. Are appliances made in China ? Tariffs?
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Fishy Cover (04-08-2020)