Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Tiger Lilly

Default Yard used as Trash Dump

Our neighbors have apparently used their back yard as a trash dump for many years. This was never a problem in the summer with the leaves up, but as some of our family have started to visit the house in the fall, they have seen a real eye sore...an old, old washing machine, tires, and heaven knows what else...It can not be seen from the street, but only by us in our back yard. We hate to make waves, but is this legal??
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Our neighbors have apparently used their back yard as a trash dump for many years. This was never a problem in the summer with the leaves up, but as some of our family have started to visit the house in the fall, they have seen a real eye sore...an old, old washing machine, tires, and heaven knows what else...It can not be seen from the street, but only by us in our back yard. We hate to make waves, but is this legal??
TL are you in an association? If so they may be able to help.

Unfortunately, sometimes in the live free or die state these things happen. If it is not a health issue, you may be out of luck. I would at least put in a call to the town's code enforcement person- I am not sure what town you are in or I would have posted a link if possible.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Tiger Lilly

Thanks for your reply. We're in Melvin Village -- not in an association.

I suppose of it starts to bother us too much, we could ask our neighbor very nicely if we could help him get rid of it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default That's the Spirit!

Asking them to remove the junk that doesn't belong in the backyard, and then offering to help them remove it? What a novel idea! Congratulations, you have my vote for the most friendly neighbor award! BTW, they may say no thanks, and if you really want it out you may have to do it yourself. Just don't get caught trespassing. LOL.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Coolbreeze

Scrap metal and other metals are at their all time high value. A truck load of washers and dryers plus other metal objects are in demand to be recycled. Try that approach to your neighbor as they may see $$$ where you see junk!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
... I suppose of it starts to bother us too much, ...
My neighbor uses is yard to fix his landscaping equipment and vehicles. The trailer park people on the other side got together and said they would share the expense of a fence with him. Everyone is happier.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

If there's concerns that his junk might be causing ground water pollution, then you might have a case. Your town's planner could probably further direct you on things. Depends on how bad it is, really.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
sa meredith

Default help them

Seriously, offering to help them clear everything away is probably the best move. Plan a legit trip to the dump one day, and a few days before, be sure to run into them, and...."hey, how are you guys?" "Look, I borrowed my bother-in-law's truck for the weekend, as my garage is starting to look like a garbage collector, and I need to haul the stuff away. Want to join in, and we'll grab some of the stuff from your yard?" Something to that effect.
Here's a true story...a couple of years back, my neighbor (at home, not at the lake) started discarding his old cars on the side of his driveway. Now, we live on a cul-de-sac, and there are only three house, so everyone sees everyone elses front yard as plain as day. And this one neighbor decided to simply park his old unregistered car along side his driveway, and his and his wife's car in the driveway. And then, a bit later, she got a new car...and guess where her old car went? Yep, right behind his discarded auto. (and both where very old, worthless cars. No resale value at all). So, time goes by, and now he actually starts mowing around them. As the summer rolls along, the grass around and under the cars grows to 8", 9", 10", and then maybe a foot or so. And it starts to look sooooooo "white trash". These cars now look like planters. Then the straw that breaks the camel's back...his teenage son becomes of driving age, and gets a car. So now, we are all looking at 5 cars in his front yard....and it got very old, very quick. And the two junkers sit and sit and sit.
Finally I took a walk over one night, with two cold beers, and said "hey Ron...have a brew!" "Look. I have a service I use at work that hauls away scap cars for free. They just come and get them...title or no title. If you want, I'll have them stop by and get these two paper weights off your hands. Normally they charge people, but I'll tell them you traded them, and they belong to us." "I'm sure you're sick of looking at them everyday". Anyway....he said no, as he had plans for them. And a week or so later, they were gone. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Tiger Lilly

Thanks so much for everyone's advice.