Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
pm203

Default Jo Greens in Wolfeboro

Was at this restaurant over the holiday week and was not impressed.The server suggested that I get the Lobster Roll Special. My wife ordered a Salad from the salad bar. After eating a mediocre lobster roll(wrong type of bread) and a wilted salad from the salad bar (off of a 6 inch plate), they presented me a bill for $50.03! I should also mention that this included an ice tea and a diet Coke. But $29.95 for a mediocre lobster roll? I mean,both the Lobster Connection and The Canoe are under $20,00 for a quality, nicely done lobster roll. Factor in uncooked french fries and a not so clean environment and you can see why we will not return.

I have heard similar experiences from other individuals and while the wait staff was nice and the view spectacular, I cannot recommend this establishment to anyone I know.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Was at this restaurant over the holiday week and was not impressed.The server suggested that I get the Lobster Roll Special. My wife ordered a Salad from the salad bar. After eating a mediocre lobster roll(wrong type of bread) and a wilted salad from the salad bar (off of a 6 inch plate), they presented me a bill for $50.03! I should also mention that this included an ice tea and a diet Coke. But $29.95 for a mediocre lobster roll? I mean,both the Lobster Connection and The Canoe are under $20,00 for a quality, nicely done lobster roll. Factor in uncooked french fries and a not so clean environment and you can see why we will not return.

I have heard similar experiences from other individuals and while the wait staff was nice and the view spectacular, I cannot recommend this establishment to anyone I know.
Yeah, you don’t go to Jo Greens for the food... been that way for a long time...

Dan
Old 07-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Jo Greens epitomizes the "a good enough location can overcome the worst product" and "location, location, location" mantras. Town Docks is very close, as well. It won't change as long as enough people are willing to accept it. (We aren't, and haven't been to either in a lonnggg while)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

We always enjoy Jo Greens, and GarWoods. Guests always love sitting on Jo Green's deck. Rarely expect gourmet level for lunch on any sidewalk. Lobster roll is mostly overpriced every where to me, so I don't order it. You can buy great lobster salad by the pound at Makris Lobster in Concord, Rt 106. I expect there are other places, but Makris is an easy in-out for us just going by, and we know it's fresh, hasn't been sitting in the fridge very long.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
We always enjoy Jo Greens, and GarWoods. Guests always love sitting on Jo Green's deck. Rarely expect gourmet level for lunch on any sidewalk. Lobster roll is mostly overpriced every where to me, so I don't order it. You can buy great lobster salad by the pound at Makris Lobster in Concord, Rt 106. I expect there are other places, but Makris is an easy in-out for us just going by, and we know it's fresh, hasn't been sitting in the fridge very long.
We've had dozens of good meals at Garwoods, and I would recommend it to anyone. So I'm surprised to hear it mentioned in the same breath as jo greens--our only meal there was similar to the OP's. What do you order at jo greens?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (07-13-2018), nj2nh (07-25-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
We've had dozens of good meals at Garwoods, and I would recommend it to anyone. So I'm surprised to hear it mentioned in the same breath as jo greens--our only meal there was similar to the OP's. What do you order at jo greens?

Absolutely agree. Never had a bad meal at Garwwods they do a very nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The Garwoods comment was positive.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
GBGX2

Default We agree!

We eat at Garwoods regularly. Great food, quality product and wonderful staff.
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
phoenix

Back to Jo Greens. We were loking for lunch overlooking the harbor last week. We first looked at Baileys but all outside tables were taken. So we decided to try Jo Greens. We had 4 adults and three kids and got a great table overlooking a very busy harbor. I had the chile with half sandwich and both were excellent . Everyone else were happy with their meals including the kids. If in Wolfeboro and lookng for outdoor seating overlooking the harbor we will choose this place again.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
camp guy

Default Jo Greene's

Several posters have mentioned the view from Jo Greene's, and yes, the view of Wolfeboro Bay, and the activity, is great; but, the food is terrible, and cleanliness is terrible, and the service is marginal.

Jo Greene's appears to always be busy, but I think that most of the customers are first-timers (because of the location), and not many customers are repeaters.

Have I eaten there - yes, and I did enjoy the view; will I return - no, for the reasons mentioned above.

There are many fine restaurants in Wolfeboro.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
noreast

Definition of a tourist trap, I've gotten snarled in them in some great areas of our fine nation.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #12
Overlake97

Default Yelp’ers (34) give Jo Greens worst rating in Wolfeboro

https://yelp.to/qTKq/xL8olmtpzO
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

After a few disappointing visits to Jo Greens we started going to the Downtown Grill Cafe next door when visiting Wolfeboro for lunch. They also have a nice deck overlooking the harbor and we usually can get a good table outside with just a short wait or none at all. The sandwiches and salads are good and very reasonably priced. They have a good ice cream bar too!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-25-2018), Cindido (07-15-2018), HAMPTONS (07-22-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
GBGX2

Default We agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
After a few disappointing visits to Jo Greens we started going to the Downtown Grill Cafe next door when visiting Wolfeboro for lunch. They also have a nice deck overlooking the harbor and we usually can get a good table outside with just a short wait or none at all. The sandwiches and salads are good and very reasonably priced. They have a good ice cream bar too!
Downtown Grille is outstanding. They do breakfast wraps and the:

Corned Beef Hash Wrap with Egg & Cheese
2 fried eggs, our own corned beef hash, cheese, grilled in a wrap 7.25

Is a grand slam!

http://downtowngrille.cafe/menus/

Immaculate, staff friendly and locally owned- truly a Win!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

We've now lived near Wolfboro year-round for about 6 years. Went to Jo Green's once. That was enough. Similar experience to those above.

We eat out in Wolfeboro often with many friends and neighbors in the area. It's indicative that Jo Green's never comes up from anyone as a suggested place to go for our next outing.

They do have one of the nicest locations/views in the area. Too bad they don't try to make a better effort with it.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Descant

Default different audience?

The OP posted about dissatisfaction with a lobster roll and its price. Good info.
I note that he also has another thread about the best EVER lobster roll, so it is a focus point fore him. Again, good info. However, since Jo Greens has been around for many years, and through the winter has to attract a local clientele, it would appear that there's something for everybody, except no McD's. in Wolfeboro. The folks on here who don't like Jo Greens are probably not the target audience.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #17
Merrymeeting

Quote:
The OP posted about dissatisfaction with a lobster roll and its price. Good info.
I note that he also has another thread about the best EVER lobster roll, so it is a focus point fore him. Again, good info. However, since Jo Greens has been around for many years, and through the winter has to attract a local clientele, it would appear that there's something for everybody, except no McD's. in Wolfeboro. The folks on here who don't like Jo Greens are probably not the target audience.
Especially during the off-season, what they do have is one of the more popular "night spots" / bars in the area. It attracts a lot of the younger crowd after dinner hours. On the 3rd floor above the restaurant.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
jazzman

I've never had a good meal at Jo Greens. Sitting on the deck with a beer and fries during the off hours is a good time. If you want food the Downtown Grill is great. Love their BLT and onion rings for lunch. Lunch is good at Garwoods too if you can score a table on the deck.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I've never had a good meal at Jo Greens. Sitting on the deck with a beer and fries during the off hours is a good time. If you want food the Downtown Grill is great. Love their BLT and onion rings for lunch. Lunch is good at Garwoods too if you can score a table on the deck.
I have to agree with the majority here. Joe Greens has been marginal for lunch/dinner for at least 15-years. I would never consider eating there. My last meal there has to be 10-years. The above reviews confirm nothing has changed. Drinks are fine on the deck but the place is usually dirty. I agree it’s is more of a bar than a restaurant. Downtown Grill is awesome for breakfast and lunch. Garwoods is ok but expensive for what you receive.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #20
pm203

We all seem to agree on the food being mediocre at at this establishment. I never would have started this thread if it wasn't for the $30 price tag on this lackluster sandwich. I didn't even want a lobster roll but the server insisted that it was incredible, that they already sold 7 of them and that I should get it.Shame on me for letting her sell me. I truly felt ripped off by this restaurant.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #21
nj2nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Back to Jo Greens. We were loking for lunch overlooking the harbor last week. We first looked at Baileys but all outside tables were taken. So we decided to try Jo Greens. We had 4 adults and three kids and got a great table overlooking a very busy harbor. I had the chile with half sandwich and both were excellent . Everyone else were happy with their meals including the kids. If in Wolfeboro and lookng for outdoor seating overlooking the harbor we will choose this place again.

Dockside has not been Bailey’s for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Longer than that. But wasn't it "Dockside" before it was Bailey's, and then changed back to Docksde when Bailey's (up the hill) closed?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #23
KPW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Longer than that. But wasn't it "Dockside" before it was Bailey's, and then changed back to Docksde when Bailey's (up the hill) closed?
I think it was Bailey's Dockside.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

It was Bailey's Dockside but I do think it was Dockside before the Bailey's owned it. I remember Phil Stevens managed it but not sure that was for the Bailey's. There were several people that ran it over the years. It is owned by the town.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It was Bailey's Dockside but I do think it was Dockside before the Bailey's owned it. I remember Phil Stevens managed it but not sure that was for the Bailey's. There were several people that ran it over the years. It is owned by the town.
Right. In the mid 50's, my sister attended Camp Kehonka. On visitor's day, parents could take their daughters out for lunch/ice cream, but only to Bailey's as the directors (Ballentines) had inspected it and approved it. We never did that, since we went to Kehonka by boat and it was too long a walk from the Wolfeboro docks. In any event, that is what triggers the recollection that DocksIde had no affiliation with Bailey's at that time.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #26
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default 1963-64

Seems to me, when I went to Brewster Academy in the '63-64 school year, it was Bailey's Dockside. After that the next time was certainly in the late 70's and I believe it was known as Bailey's Dockside then.

Dave
Old 07-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #27
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Seems to me, when I went to Brewster Academy in the '63-64 school year, it was Bailey's Dockside. After that the next time was certainly in the late 70's and I believe it was known as Bailey's Dockside then.

Dave
Then I bet we knew each other!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-27-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #28
ApS

Arrow "Dockside" Before "Bailey's-Dockside"...

Quote:
Phil Stevens was my Brewster Academy Prom-date's Dad!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #29
tis

I knew her, APS. She was very sweet.

Were you a senior in '64, up?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #30
ApS

Wink Yes, and Still Sweet...

Quote:

Visited with her last week.

I thought I'd gotten her registered onto this forum as member "Huggins-Born".

There was a lot of spamming back then—so it didn't happen.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Pm sent

Quote:

Yes, PG student. PM sent

Dave
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #32
ApS

Smile Dockside—It Wuz...

Quote:
That is correct...

I just emailed a neighbor who had worked at Dockside before Bailey's got a lease. It was just "Dockside".
tis (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #33
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Yes, PG student. PM sent

Dave
I didn't get the PM. Can you resend?
Old 07-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #34
upthesaukee