Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
BMAB

Default New to Boating

Hi All.
My wife and I have loved coming to Winni and spending time on our friend’s boat over the years. We are getting closer to making our own purchase in the next year or so. I am looking for some advice.
We live in MA, south of Boston and do not own a place in NH. I am thinking our best bet would be to buy a used cruiser so we could spend the weekends up north and sleep on the boat (me, my wife, and 2 small children). We would like to hang at sand bar, tube, ski if possible with the kids.
Does anyone have advice on different boats, we like a lot of the Sea Ray 240 Sundancers out there.. Something big enough, but trailerable if necessary.
Also, we have not visited any of the marinas yet. Which marinas are recommended? We would like some place to rent a wet slip, with decent amenities, showers, bathrooms, etc.
Thanks!
BMAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Lakeboater

IMO you can't go wrong with a sea ray. Quality boat that if taken care of really holds it's value.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
BMAB (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
jrc

Plenty of used cruisers around. Unless cash is really tight, I would go a little bigger, maybe 28'. I started my overnighting with a 30' and it was a good fit for two of us. With four it would start to get crowded. A 24' seems like it would be tight.

Then again model year is important, older boats seem to have more space for the same size. Later models tend to cheat a little, counting swim platforms as length, for example.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
BMAB (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Diver Vince

I'm partial to Cobalt myself. Try MVYC in Gilford which has nice amenities.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver Vince For This Useful Post:
BMAB (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
BMAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Plenty of used cruisers around. Unless cash is really tight, I would go a little bigger, maybe 28'. I started my overnighting with a 30' and it was a good fit for two of us. With four it would start to get crowded. A 24' seems like it would be tight.

Then again model year is important, older boats seem to have more space for the same size. Later models tend to cheat a little, counting swim platforms as length, for example.
Thanks. I was thinking for our first boat a 28'-30' boat would be too big, but I have also heard you dont want anything smaller than 24' on the lake as it can get rough. I will make sure we get inside a few to make sure there is enough room. For the money we can spend it may be on the smaller side, but we can deal if it means we have something in the water!
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
BMAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
I'm partial to Cobalt myself. Try MVYC in Gilford which has nice amenities.
I love Cobalts, but have not seen many used ones recently.

I will check out MVYC.

thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
polarisman14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAB View Post
Thanks. I was thinking for our first boat a 28'-30' boat would be too big, but I have also heard you dont want anything smaller than 24' on the lake as it can get rough. I will make sure we get inside a few to make sure there is enough room. For the money we can spend it may be on the smaller side, but we can deal if it means we have something in the water!
Thanks for the help.
Even with a 24' plus boat you can still get yourself into some hairy situations if it's windy and you are crossing the broads. 28-30 is definitely a manageable size especially if you are planning on staying overnight. If you just need a day boat (bowrider), in my opinion even a 19' boat is just fine. You just have to be a little more aware of your surroundings.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
BMAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisman14 View Post
Even with a 24' plus boat you can still get yourself into some hairy situations if it's windy and you are crossing the broads. 28-30 is definitely a manageable size especially if you are planning on staying overnight. If you just need a day boat (bowrider), in my opinion even a 19' boat is just fine. You just have to be a little more aware of your surroundings.
Thanks for the insight!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
jrc

There are big weekend overnight communities all over the lake. Seems like more are on the west side, probably due to ease of access from RT93. Do some searching on this board about the pros and cons of each.

There are a few true rental properties left, but many are now condo. You can either buy a slip or rent one from an owners. Most will have electrical hookups cable TV and water at each slip. With cell phones I don't think people bother with phone lines on the slip anymore.

Most will have a club house and showers. Some are co-located with boat dealers and use the dealer bathrooms. Quality and cleanliness vary greatly.

We usually launch the week after ice-out, this year that may be the Fourth of July . After that you're welcome to stop by and see what it's like. Send a PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAB View Post
I love Cobalts, but have not seen many used ones recently.
Don't bother with Cobalt, they make great boats, but Cobalt does not make anything remotely like a Sea Ray 240 Sundancer. Look for brands like Larson, Crownline, Regal, Chaparral, Monterey, Bayliner, Glastron, Stingray, Ebbtide, Wellcraft etc. They have all made pocket cruisers in your size range.

If I were looking, I'd want at least a 5.7 liter engine and a dual prop drive in a 24-25 footer, anything bigger, I'd want twin 4.3s or bigger (with single or dual prop drives) or a single big block (7.4, 8.1, or 8.2 liter) with a dual prop drive.

Condition is far more important than brand or age, so be a careful shopper and don't get hung up on brand names.

Good luck.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Consider a pro surveyor

If you buy from a dealer and he owns the boat, he may offer some sort of warranty. If he's a broker or you're buying privately, a licensed surveyor can be worth a lot of money to you. My last purchase, a 30 footer, the survey took about six hours including a sea trial and pulling the boat out of the water to inspect bottom and running gear. I used the survey to negotiate some work to be done by the seller, and paid a small fee to have the surveyor come back and reinspect. He also pointed out several items for future preventive work that we did this winter, and gave an estimate of fair market value. Many insurance companies will want a survey after you reach a certain size/age/value. As you might surmise, I was very happy with my surveyor, Bob Gallagher. I talked to a few; they specialize. Although he's from MA, he loves to come to Winnipesaukee. gallaghermarinesurveyors.com

If you rent or buy a slip, check out the policies of the condo/owner/landlord regarding who is available or allowed on the property to work on your boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
jetlag100

Not sure about the boat but Quayside Marina in Moultonborough has great amenities. We rent our slip there.Granted we don't sleep on our boat (we live very close to the place) but we do see lots of families and there's a lot of people sleeping on their boats..I noticed that there are some slips for rent right now and there's some for sale too! Good Luck
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
8gv

About the boat brand and size...

I have two smaller (18' and 20') Sea Rays and will attest to their quality.

Back in '98 I bought a 28' Bayliner for my family of five. The kids were 8, 5 and 1.

My search for a cruiser led me to the Bayliner because it had more interior space for its length. At that time, and I suspect now, the other brands had styling that was curvatious and sexy. The Bayliner was more boxy inside. The others had an 8'6" beam, suitable for trailering sans permit. The Bayliner had a 9'7" beam thus making trailering an event.

I doubt you'll trailer at all. That requires a trailer, a place to store the trailer and a vehicle powerful enough to tow a 24' or larger boat.

Here's the big and in my opinion, important difference for a family of four:

Fancy, expensive boat has tighter aft cabin, a narrow forward v-berth and minimal galley table that converts to a minimal berth THAT YOU NEED because the other sleeping areas are small.

Non fancy, cheaper (Bayliner) boat has a queen aft berth, generous v-berth and a full size table that sleeps two kids or one, shorter adult.

In the non fancy boat, dad can snooze in the aft cabin while mom sits at the table drinking her coffee while the kids snooze up front. Later, when everybody rises, all four can eat breakfast at the table. At night, the kids can watch TV from the table and then crawl off to sleep in the v-berth while mom and dad watch TV at the table. Later, mom and dad crawl off to the aft QUEEN SIZED berth, which is far away from the kids, for adult playtime.

Get 28' or more.
Forget about trailering.
Be sure the boat has three good sized sleeping areas.
Curves in the cabin are pretty but waste space!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
MiFi

Couple of points, one could argue a twin engine cruiser actually is easier to maneuver in tight spots/docking than a single engine sleeper. Don't let the size of the boat be a deterant until you take one of each out for a trial.

I had a 25ft overnight sleeper, sleeping four on a 25 is doable however very tight quarters, especially as you invite guests up for day trips and such. After one season we decided to get serious and move up to a searay 34 but as other have noted 28 on up have good space. (Still less expensive than a lake front home).

Plus a smaller boat you need to constantly make the bed to a table and back again, painful. Also, most 25's don't have a/c, for overnight sleeping during the summer it's a must. Don't get the trailer, I did and never used it on the 25, look at the weight of the boat and trailer and consider the size vehicle you will need to haul it, and for what, the lake is where you want to be!
MiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
Rinkerguy

I would recommend going bigger. 26-28'. You will outgrow a 24' quickly and lose your shirt trading up. spend a little more now, to save a lot later.

Try West Alton Marina, great marina, with room for a gazebo behind your slip. Gas and service on site, can service and store your boat for you, all at a reasonable price
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
RLW

Smile

BMAB, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum and lake!

There is a lot of great advice above. Look for a good deep vee hull that will cut through the lake as opposed to pounding. You may be aware, but you cannot overnight on the lake unless at your slip or a friend's dock (no overnight anchoring).

Hope to see you out there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #18
MikeF-NH

I know you are mostly asking questions and getting answers about the specific boat you are shopping for BUT some of the other considerations are important too.

As posted above West Alton Marina is a GREAT place to consider for overnighting for the season. I only launch there (don't rent a slip) but the community of gazebos there looks very fun, the marina is well protected and in a great area, it has easy access from 93, grocery shopping is not far away in Alton or Laconia, outlet shopping in Tilton and "chain store" shopping in Laconia is convenient, the onsite facilities (laundry, toilets, showers) are clean and modern and the staff is friendly and professional. The West Alton sand bar is right there an the entrance to the marina also. Access to other major points on the lake (Weirs, Wolfboro, Alton Bay) does require a bit of a boat ride across sections of The Broads which can be intimidating when its stormy/windy though.

Since you are new to boating you will probably want to enroll in a Boaters Safety class asap in have someone else in your family go with you (so you aren't the only qualified boater). The lake is a very dangerous place with several unexpected offshore shoals. Pick up a bizer map and understand where these hazards are (for instance when going to Weirs past the Witches). Personally, I use both the bizer map (when planning my route) AND a Navionics chip for my Lowrance GPS on my fish finder. The Navionics ship gives great real time insight on harzardous areas you are approaching.

You have probably considered all this above but it never hurts to be reminded. Enjoy the Lake....IF this ice ever begins to melt.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Perfect Harmony

I know it was mentioned above, but do not sell yourself short on the importance of air conditioning. 4 in the cabin at night, in the middle of summer, will be the absolute worst experience you'll ever have. Also beam is critical to factor in. 4 in the cabin will get very small, very quickly. Forget adults in a V-berth. Sea Rays are nice but narrow. Four Winns have always impressed.

Last MVYC is good, but year to year you can't be assured of the same slip. but the ammenities are solid. I have heard great things about Alton. Good Luck!!!
Perfect Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #20
jrc

I can add a third vote for air conditioning. But a lot of smaller boats don't have it, especially northern boats. Obviously you can live without it and you can add it.

But a lot depends on you, do you want a plush or a more camping experience. This can also effect you choice of marina. Money can also play in these decisions. Some marinas cost more and have rules about boat maintenance that can cost you more. Some have strict rules on many subjects some are more lax. Some cater to families, day boaters, partiers, and some have a mix.

Think about what you want from boating beyond the fun of a day on the lake, what about the rest of the day and night? Peace and quiet watching TV with the kids, a campfire, dinner at a nice restaurant, a barbeque, a few drinks with the neighbors, watching the game in the clubhouse, then go find a marina that supports that.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #21
jrc

BTW you can be assured of the same slip at MVYC, if you rent from the slip owner. If you rent from Irwin Marine, they only manage MVYC, they don't own the slips.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
cillovely

We too live south of Boston, and we have rented the past 5 years in different spots on the lake. We trailer our 20' Sea Ray with a cuddy cabin. It's is 27 years old and still runs great. So I'm all for Sea Rays even though a Grady White walk around is my dream.

I never thought of getting a slip and staying on the boat the whole time. Lots to consider doing it that way as previously posted. Has it's ups and downs.

We are actually downgrading ours, hubby has a sweet deal on a slightly used Bass Tracker so he can take it out more places near home without having to trailer the bigger boat. The only time we seem to use our boat is the week we spend up at Winni. We did take it out on the ocean and down the Charles river many times but I really hate salt water. And there aren't any decent size lakes without traveling an hour or more. I personally am not thrilled about having a boat without a port a potti and I do not fish so I don't think I'll be on the other boat other than the week up Winni, so nothing changed there for me.

Also make sure you know what your doing. Being new to boating with a big boat can be tricky. And Winni has many tricks to it. I always study the Bizer map prior to vacation so I know what's near where we are staying. I broke the prop last year. Thankfully hubby is handy and could put a new one on.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #23
Bandrews7

We just purchased a Vista cruiser by Four Winns. It is me, my wife, and two children. I would not go less than 26 feet. Don't plan on trailering for a long distance because it is a lot of boat to pull behind a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #24
Bear Islander

Some marinas will only rent you a slip if you buy the boat, new or used, from the marina.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
sum-r breeze

Default Consider the beam

If you are going to trailer a cruiser...it has to have less than a 9 foot beam. I think you'll still be under that number in a 28 Sundancer. Our 300 Dancer has a 10'6" beam and not trailerable without a special permit. Bigger is always better and consider MVYC for slip rental. As I posted in a previous thread, your winter storage is INCLUDED in your slip rental fee. It might be a better deal to buy the bigger boat, leave it in Gilford and NOT have to trailer it back and forth. Good Luck and welcome to the lake!!!!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #26
Lakeboater

"Some marinas will only rent you a slip if you buy the boat, new or used, from the marina"
Which marinas have this policy?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
jrc

Here's my list of places to wet slip for overnight, in no real order:

Mountain View YC (condo)
Glendale YC (condo)
Gilford YC (condo)
Fay's Boat Yard (boat dealer)
Spinnaker Cove YC (condo)
Irwin Marine (boat dealer)
Shep Brown's Boat Basin (boat dealer)
Lakeport Landing (boat dealer)
Paugus Bay Marina (boat dealer)
Parker Marine (small boats only)
West Alton Marina (rental)
Meredith Marina (boat dealer and condo)
Meredith YC (condo)
Akwa Marina YC (rental)
Wolfeboro Corinthian YC (condo)
Melvin Village Marina (boat dealer)
Goodhue and Hawkins Navy Yard (boat dealer)
Quayside YC (condo)
Silver Sands Marina (boat dealer)
Channel Marine (boat dealer) do they rent slips?
Gillian Marine (boat dealer)
Thurston's Marina (boat dealer)
Y-Landing (boat dealer)

I'm sure I missed some or messed some up
Old 03-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #28
Liquorish

We to live south of Boston, have been going to the lake for 20+ years! we're fortunate to have purchased a home on the lake 4 years ago, but spent many weekends trailering when the kids were little, certainly a real pain! Then, rented a slip for 12 years, had many boats, would definitely recommend that you buy as big as your budget allows, you'll need your space. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Hmm...

I think you may think twice about playing around with a boat like that, in regards to pulling skiers and/or a tube. Sure you can, but good grief you are going to be burning some copious amounts of gas for one, and making one hell of a wake for the ones behind the boat to deal with. First piece of advice, get your cabin cruiser, make friends with somebody that has a boat better suited for pulling a skier or tube.

As for the rest, everyone has their opinions and it's always good to hear what folks have to say. In the end the best thing you can do is get educated, watch the market for a while so you can get an idea of prices. The more you look the more you will get an idea of what works for you. No matter the year or size this is a huge investment for YOUR enjoyment so make sure whatever you get it meets your expectations. As I always say half the fun of having a boat is shopping for one! Don't always think you have to buy locally either and be very careful in dealing with any of the stealerships around the lakes region. Oh they are nice alright, their prices... not so much.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts
Default Width Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
If you are going to trailer a cruiser...it has to have less than a 9 foot beam. I think you'll still be under that number in a 28 Sundancer.
The Breeze
The legal width limit for any vehicle on the road whether it is a boat or a tractor trailer is 8'6" (102 inches). You can get permits very easily but anything wider than 8'6" requires a "Wide Load" sign and anything over 10'6" requires the chase cars with signage.

The 28 SeaRay has a beam of 8'10"
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #31
sum-r breeze

Default Sorry to disagree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Harmony View Post
I know it was mentioned above, but do not sell yourself short on the importance of air conditioning. 4 in the cabin at night, in the middle of summer, will be the absolute worst experience you'll ever have. Also beam is critical to factor in. 4 in the cabin will get very small, very quickly. Forget adults in a V-berth. Sea Rays are nice but narrow. Four Winns have always impressed.

Last MVYC is good, but year to year you can't be assured of the same slip. but the ammenities are solid. I have heard great things about Alton. Good Luck!!!
We have been at MVYC for 14 years and have always had the first refusal option when renting a slip through Irwins. They send out a letter around Feb 1st to see if you want to rent the same slip as last year. There is always some turnover for various reasons..... New bigger boat won't fit in old smaller slip...Kid in college this year...IRS audit and the boat had to go...Wife found out about mistress...take your pick. That being said, the staff at Irwins Carol Downing in particular, have always gone above and beyond to help us find the perfect place for The Breeze. MVYC also has the best July cookout/dance party of the summer for all owners and renters free of charge. This is a REAL "customer appreciation" party, unlike another marina where we used to be that CHARGED you (???) to attend!!! We LOVE Mountain View.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be Wavin' Back
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #32
Alton Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
About the boat brand and size...

I have two smaller (18' and 20') Sea Rays and will attest to their quality.

Back in '98 I bought a 28' Bayliner for my family of five. The kids were 8, 5 and 1.

My search for a cruiser led me to the Bayliner because it had more interior space for its length. At that time, and I suspect now, the other brands had styling that was curvatious and sexy. The Bayliner was more boxy inside. The others had an 8'6" beam, suitable for trailering sans permit. The Bayliner had a 9'7" beam thus making trailering an event.

I doubt you'll trailer at all. That requires a trailer, a place to store the trailer and a vehicle powerful enough to tow a 24' or larger boat.

Here's the big and in my opinion, important difference for a family of four:

Fancy, expensive boat has tighter aft cabin, a narrow forward v-berth and minimal galley table that converts to a minimal berth THAT YOU NEED because the other sleeping areas are small.

Non fancy, cheaper (Bayliner) boat has a queen aft berth, generous v-berth and a full size table that sleeps two kids or one, shorter adult.

In the non fancy boat, dad can snooze in the aft cabin while mom sits at the table drinking her coffee while the kids snooze up front. Later, when everybody rises, all four can eat breakfast at the table. At night, the kids can watch TV from the table and then crawl off to sleep in the v-berth while mom and dad watch TV at the table. Later, mom and dad crawl off to the aft QUEEN SIZED berth, which is far away from the kids, for adult playtime.

Get 28' or more.
Forget about trailering.
Be sure the boat has three good sized sleeping areas.
Curves in the cabin are pretty but waste space!
I'm glad I read through the responses, or I would have posted almost exactly what you did!
Alton Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #33
Woodsy

BMAB...

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place!

Just a little food for thought and break it down by cost vs usage. Especially where you are a relative newbie to boating. No offense, we all had to start somewhere.

There are approximately 12 summer weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day... undoubtedly you will not make it up for all of them due to weather or other issues(school, kid commitments etc). But lets use 12 as the number of times you actually get up here in a summer....

Maybe consider staying at a local motel for the weekend. On average rooms run $125 or so a night so for summer you are looking at $3000 cost. Maybe less if you negotiate ahead of time. This gives you plenty of room for family and guests.

A 28 ft Cabin cruiser for 4 people is a tight fit especially for sleeping... no room for you guys or the kids to have friends up etc. They guzzle fuel at an amazing rate, especially if you are trying to tube or ski.... they aren't bad at all if you just putt around... A gas bill for a single engine 28 Cabin Cruiser will be about $150/$300 weekend depending on usage.... and they are tough to trailer.

A 24-28 ft Bow Rider is a perfect boat for cruising, tubing sandbars etc... It has plenty of storage and is also a much easier boat to learn how to drive & dock. Especially on windy days. Great on gas with a small v-8 engine and a duoprop drive. A gas bill for a single engine 24 Bow Rider will be about $75/$150 depending on usage.... and its fairly easy to trailer.

A slip at MVYC or others runs approximately $3000+ or so.... a runabout lessens your cost somewhat as your docking options increase... private slips, rack storage etc approximately $2200 or so.

The boat payment is a wild card... it can be just about anywhere, but I am guessing you have a number in mind. Whatever that number is, it will go farther on a runabout than it will on a cabin cruiser.

Anyway, just some food for thought...

Woodsy
LIforrelaxin (03-28-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #34
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts
Default Everyone has their own opinion

So here are some of mine:

First, Carol at Irwin Marine is great. It's too bad she doesn't work at Mountain View any more but I am sure she follows along with everything that is going on there.

Second: I think MVYC is great. I was there for many years but now I rent my slip out because I no longer need it. There are good facilities and two nice beaches and a great view. It is centrally located on the lake and all of the shopping you could want is close by. There is nothing better than staying on your boat as many nights as your schedule will allow and enjoying the lake during the day.

Third: I would get a boat in the 26 - 28 foot range with a single big block engine. Simple to operate, minimal maintenance, and plenty of boat for a first timer.

I would stay away from the boats without two front seats. Many manufacturers are putting a double wide seat at the helm and a lounge on the opposite side. Think about a hot day: Do you want someone sitting up against you? Think about when you take a friend boating: Do you want them snuggled up against you on the "love seat"?

That is just my opinion but it always looks funny to see a boat go by with two adult men sitting up against each other on the love seat! OK. Maybe it's me!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboater View Post
"Some marinas will only rent you a slip if you buy the boat, new or used, from the marina"
Which marinas have this policy?
Shep Browns
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #36
BMAB

Wow. I cant thank everyone enough. So many things to think about. We have done a lot of research and because we are new to boating this first hand advice is very helpful..
Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #37
Sleezstak

Please- Look into your options even if they are not what you think you want. Look at a smaller boat, valet and so on. Perhaps totally what you do not want. It gets expensive and big boats can tie you up. What if the kids dont like it in year two? Is the excitiment based on being on a freinds boat only a couple times a summer.
You sink some money into a big boat, rent a slip and so on the the feel to be up there every weekend will seep in.
Perhaps look at getting a smaller boat and stay up there some weekends. It will cost you less and get a better feel of the costs and commitment.
If it is a home run, trade it in on a bigger one, get slip and enjoy.

Alot of good advice here, alot of good people. Boating is expensive. Good Luck
Sleezstak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #38
Happy Gourmand

Default American Boat Club

Sounds like you want a cruiser, but also would like to tow a skier and and tuber and generally cruise around.
We had owned boats for several years when we got out of boating a few years back. After a couple years of missing it, we couldn't decide if we wanted another boat or what kind of boat we would like to own.
The ABC has several boats, from a 24' Sea Ray cruiser, pontoon boats, and a couple of 21' Sea Ray bow riders...one is an SLX that goes like crazy!
We joined for a year and really enjoyed it. We used every boat they had many times and other than the membership fee, only paid for the gas we used. I think it is one of the better ways to discover if boating is good for you.
Anyways, after the first year, we decided to again get our own boat and we really enjoy it.
I recommend that you or any potential new boating prospects check them out. Great people, nice location just north of Weirs Beach, and as a boat club member you get access to all their great facilities.
Definitely worth checking out.
I have no association with them other than I was a member of the boat club 2 years ago, and a social member of the Yatch club last year which gave us use of all the facilities except use of the boats.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Or if they can't decide Phantom, they could always buy two boats.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #40
pcmc

As far as sleeping accommodations, what do you do when you want to invite friends up to the lake? Just say'in.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #41
jrc

Lot's of good advice. Like a lot of things, weekending on a boat isn't for everyone. But, we and many friends we met while boating, are hooked.

We launch right after ice-out and pull the boat in late October. We cherish every weekend and find a way to spend as much time on the lake as possible. If friends want to stay, we put up the canvas, or rent them a room. People tube with big boats but skiing is really not practical.

You really can't find a better way to have a house on the lake. I won't argue with Woody's math but your own boat is much different than a hotel room.

If you have doubts buy a used boat. Something reasonably sized at least three or four years old, will not depreciate much in one season. If come fall you didn't enjoy the experience, getting out should be too bad financially.

I'm rethinking my size comments, my parents started with a 19 footer, then moved up to 22.5 cuddy. They had a blast every weekend, I spent enough time there to get hooked. So small is relative, I'm just spoiled now.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #42
Liquorish

BMAB, one other thing you might want to consider, if your traveling every weekend from south of Boston, I'd suggest staying in the Gilford, Laconia areas as this cuts down on the drive time from Ma. Others have mentioned Mountain View, there's also, Spinnaker Cove, Fay's and Gilford Yacht Club. Just check out the amenities at each, some nicer than others...
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #43
Silver Duck

24' will almost certainly be too small for a family of four, especially if it becomes an every weekend thing! Twelve years ago, my wife and I started with a non-air conditioned 24 footer; we moved up to a larger boat with a/c before the season was finished. Took an awful beating on the trade up, but never regretted doing it!

Be warned; if you like the marina lifestyle, you will really, really like it and want to spend every possible minute at the lake. So, best to be comfortable in whatever you buy!

By the way, I don't think Shep's has had the "buy here to get a slip" policy for the last few years.
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #44
jrc

Most boat dealers have the "if you buy a boat from us, we will get you a slip" policy. Obviously they don't want to lose a boat sale, just because you're worried about finding a slip. There were times when finding a slip was pretty hard.

While the economy is weak, and boat slips are easier to find, some boat dealers will rent to anyone. It should go without saying that these dealers will favor their boat customers on future rentals. They may rent you a slip this season but next year rent it to a boat customer.

I know one couple who had a slip at dealer "A", and mid-season they bought a boat from dealer "B" and put it in the slip at dealer "A". He was incensed and threw them out. So use common sense, a boat dealer sees his slips as tools to sell boats. Usually a marina not connect to a dealer is free of these worries.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #45
robmac

I agree with prior post that they rent slips without purchase other wise I'd be in trouble
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #46
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck View Post

By the way, I don't think Shep's has had the "buy here to get a slip" policy for the last few years.
They had it last year when they told me to get my 15 horse aluminum skiff out of "my" slip because I didn't buy it there.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
mfitz

Default Slips

I have been at Sheps for the past 3 years and have nothing but good thing to say about them. I purchased my boat there ,I have it serviced there and store it there and get 90 percent of my fuel there. They only have 12 weeks of summer at best. So if your at that marina at a slip then you should utilize there services . It seems to me that most of the the marinas on the lake are all on the same page with there prices so why not stay faithful to the marina that your boat calls home.
mfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #48
robmac

I have been at Sheps since coming back from FL and have had no problems leaving , servicing or fueling and for the record didn't purchase from them. Very happy since 2002
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #49
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfitz View Post
I have been at Sheps for the past 3 years and have nothing but good thing to say about them. I purchased my boat there ,I have it serviced there and store it there and get 90 percent of my fuel there. They only have 12 weeks of summer at best. So if your at that marina at a slip then you should utilize there services . It seems to me that most of the the marinas on the lake are all on the same page with there prices so why not stay faithful to the marina that your boat calls home.
This is my 21st season as a slip customer at Sheps. I have purchased 4 new boats there and give them all my storage and service. I have mostly good things to say about them. But when I buy a $40k boat from them and pay $3k a year for a slip, I think it is rude of them to tell me to get my 14ft aluminum skiff out of my slip because it was originally purchased a Y-Landing.

In their defense the slip contract clearly states you can't put ANY boat in your slip that is not specifically listed on the contract.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #50
MDoug

Default Slips

It does seem that marinas hold boaters hostage on the lake. We need more of public docks and ramps imho.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #51
Rich

BMAB,

Having done what you're thinking of doing just a couple of years ago, I'll also through in my thoughts.

Before we started, I had always wanted to get back into boating (I spent many weekends on a boat as a teenager). A couple of years ago we got an older 27 ft boat, that just the two of us slept on.

We spend EVERY weekend on the boat, renting a slip at one of the 'condo' slips in Gilford. We fell in love with the experience, but the Ms. got tired of crawling under things to get to the berth, and crawling back out if needed in the middle of the night.

So we upgraded to a 38 ft, newer (not new, but much newer) boat the following year. Now the experience is wonderful for both of us. The new boat has AC and HEAT (which we never thought we needed it until we have it).

The boat stays at the dock, so we just drive up and spend the weekends. IF this is what you want to do, don't think of trailering, it's just too much work. You'll spend half a day (on each end of the weekend) hauling the boat back and forth. So just rent a slip and leave the boat in all summer.

When you go shopping for your boat, get into and out of the sleeping berth a few times, with BOTH of you in the berth. Now imagine doing that with four of you on board. Even though our first boat had a wide beam (by 27ft standards, our beam was 9' 6"), we found that even with just two of us, we were always in each other's way when we were below deck. With the larger boat, we don't have this issue at all. Now imagine the four of you.

Also, there were days on the lake when I wouldn't want to be out in something much smaller than the 27' boat. Yes you could be out there, but it wouldn't be much fun.

Of course cost is a big deal as you go up in the size of the boat, so take your comfort into account, try to get something that will fit your family.

As JRC offered, you're also welcome to come by my boat and check it out if we ever see the ice melt this year (we're at the same club in Gilford).

Good luck with your choice and have fun shopping!

Oh, if you don't have it yet, take a boating class and get your NH boating 'licence', don't wait until the spring, or until after you find your boat as it will be too late then! You'll need it either way. And have your wife join you in the class so you can both have your license!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
sum-r breeze

Default That sounds like me!!!

Quote:
Most boat dealers have the "if you buy a boat from us, we will get you a slip" policy. Obviously they don't want to lose a boat sale, just because you're worried about finding a slip. There were times when finding a slip was pretty hard.

While the economy is weak, and boat slips are easier to find, some boat dealers will rent to anyone. It should go without saying that these dealers will favor their boat customers on future rentals. They may rent you a slip this season but next year rent it to a boat customer.

I know one couple who had a slip at dealer "A", and mid-season they bought a boat from dealer "B" and put it in the slip at dealer "A". He was incensed and threw them out. So use common sense, a boat dealer sees his slips as tools to sell boats. Usually a marina not connect to a dealer is free of these worries.
Dealer "B" (IRWIN) with me got way ahead of the curve and offered me the slip along with the sale of said boat. It really sweetened the deal and the next season, when we wanted to get into MVYC (slips were at a premium that year) they called me with a list of options for slips near all of our friends there. You can probably guess who got the next purchase from me after that bit of customer service. So weigh the benefits of the extra expense of buying AT the lake. The dealers will be much more receptive to your requests if you are supporting them with your boat buying dollars. I can see their side completely, they tend to take care of the people who are taking care of them.

Good Luck
The Breeze

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 03-24-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Word change
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #53
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Marina "B" (IRWIN) with me got way ahead of the curve and offered me the slip along with the sale of said boat. It really sweetened the deal and the next season, when we wanted to get into MVYC (slips were at a premium that year) they called me with a list of options for slips near all of our friends there. You can probably guess who got the next purchase from me after that bit of customer service. So weigh the benefits of the extra expense of buying AT the lake. The dealers will be much more receptive to your requests if you are supporting them with your boat buying dollars. I can see their side completely, they tend to take care of the people who are taking care of them.

Good Luck
The Breeze
This is really great to hear, this IS how it should be everywhere in every market! imo.
Unfortunately.....not always the case.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #54
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
This is my 21st season as a slip customer at Sheps. I have purchased 4 new boats there and give them all my storage and service. I have mostly good things to say about them. But when I buy a $40k boat from them and pay $3k a year for a slip, I think it is rude of them to tell me to get my 14ft aluminum skiff out of my slip because it was originally purchased a Y-Landing.

In their defense the slip contract clearly states you can't put ANY boat in your slip that is not specifically listed on the contract.
Contract smontract. Thats crap. You paid for the slip. What the heck is the difference which boat you put there assuming its no bigger than the one you signed in?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #55
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Contract smontract. Thats crap. You paid for the slip. What the heck is the difference which boat you put there assuming its no bigger than the one you signed in?
For once we are in total agreement.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #56
jrc

Well in a lot of places you need an insurance policy for the boat, to protect the club against damages. So in that case, they really should only allow you to dock the boat if they have proof of insurance. It doesn't take much to cause big damage in a marina full of expensive boats.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
For once we are in total agreement.
We agree on a lot more than you think BR. Don't let the past speed law debates cloud your judgement. Carry on.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #58
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Well in a lot of places you need an insurance policy for the boat, to protect the club against damages. So in that case, they really should only allow you to dock the boat if they have proof of insurance. It doesn't take much to cause big damage in a marina full of expensive boats.
Fair enough. If proof of insurance of the other boat is shown there should be no problem. Especially a 14 ft skiff.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #59
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Insurance

As I recall, your homeowners/tenants insurance covers small boats, canoes, etc. (less than 25 hp) automatically for liability, no extra charge or endorsement. Check it out.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote