Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
ripley

Default Tamarack

I see that the Tamarack opened yesterday for the summer !
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
mg2107

I quit going 2 yrs ago the food was so bad and the portions so small.
Let me know if it has changed for the better.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
ripley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2107 View Post
I quit going 2 yrs ago the food was so bad and the portions so small.
Let me know if it has changed for the better.
I don't know which restaurant you went to but the portions have always been very large -huge..
Its possible you didn't care for the food . That is an opinion for each of us to have ,,,but the portions ??? I have never been able to eat more than 1/2 a fishermans platter. They are huge !!
ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
sa meredith

Default $$$

We stopped going a few years back, because I felt the prices were outrageous. Now, maybe it was just us, and we were ordering the wrong things...but it seemed the few times we went, I could not get out of there for under 30/35dollars for 2 people. And I remember the fries being less than good. But, to be fair, this was two or three years back.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
winniplayhouse

Sampled the Tamarack-Out-Back's pizza today and it was very good. Thin, crispy crust, tangy sauce. Lots of bubbles (which the kids enjoyed!). I chatted with Jim (the owner) and his wife. They've only owned it for a couple of years so those of you who had commented about having been disappointed in the past might want to give them a try. Probably was the previous owners.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
mg2107

The last time I went I got a friedclam dinner and got about 4 Little clams.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
sa meredith

Default not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse View Post
Sampled the Tamarack-Out-Back's pizza today and it was very good. Thin, crispy crust, tangy sauce. Lots of bubbles (which the kids enjoyed!). I chatted with Jim (the owner) and his wife. They've only owned it for a couple of years so those of you who had commented about having been disappointed in the past might want to give them a try. Probably was the previous owners.
The pizza shop, and main food stand are two different businesses, I believe. Not the same deal.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
itchin for fishin

Default Believe same owner

Unless I got my facts wrong, I believe the same owner owns both businesses. He is looking to make Outback year round will the Tamarack as we have known it is seasonal.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
gonetoolong

Default Tamarack & Tamarack -Outback

Hi folks, yup, they're both mine. Actually can't really say 'both' since it's really just the same place. We added the pizza & subs to expand the menu a bit and to put the dining hall to some additional use. I'd love to keep 'Outback' open year 'round so I think I'm gonna give it a try this year if I can build the pizza biz up. MG, sorry you had a bad experience. Please stop by again and ask for me.

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton
gonetoolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoolong View Post
Hi folks, yup, they're both mine. Actually can't really say 'both' since it's really just the same place. We added the pizza & subs to expand the menu a bit and to put the dining hall to some additional use. I'd love to keep 'Outback' open year 'round so I think I'm gonna give it a try this year if I can build the pizza biz up. MG, sorry you had a bad experience. Please stop by again and ask for me.

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton
Hi Jim thanks for responding and straightening us out. Sorry to say I also used to like the Tamarack of old. Not sure who owned it but the last time I stopped by (maybe 3-4 summers ago) I felt the prices were quite high for what I was served. For me (many) years ago that place used to be a must-stop for my onion ring fix. Will try it again this summer and see what I think.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
phoenix

Jim I also stopped going a few summers ago when they started mixing other adders to the lobster roll. Will try you again this summer
Old 04-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
gonetoolong

Hi Phoenix. Just as an FYI, we use 100% North Atlantic (you can tell by their accent & Red Sox hats) lobster. No langostino(sp?) & just a little mayo. Just outta curiosity, how do y'all think lobster would go on a pizza?

Jim C
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
sa meredith

Default Lobster

Lobster Pizza???? For me, not so much. Strange mix of flavors. Who knows... Give it a bid.
Jim...I'm curious...are you the same owner from a few years back when that whole deal about the kid who needed the weekend off, and then got fired, thing went down.
As a disclosure, I state that I fell on the side of the restaurant in that debate.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
gonetoolong

Hi SA. One of the same owners (the last one) but not the managing partner at the time. That was one of my brothers who are no longer involved. As an FYI, one of them posted using my logon as he didn't and still doesn't have one.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
CGI3

I have not been there in quite some time. But whats a pint of fried clams going for now a days?
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
Tiger Lilly

A summer is not complete for us without at least one trip to Tamarack's for onion rings, fried clams, and chocolate frappes - yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
MaidenCove07

Thumbs down How incredibly disappointing

Let me start this by saying that for 30 of my 40 years, Tamarack had been my favorite seafood stop. Service was fast and friendly and the food was outstanding. They no longer curry as much favor as far as I'm concerned and I'm confident I'll not be back. What a shame.
I knew of the new ownership and gave them a while to work out the kinks.
Went twice this summer and it was horrible both times.
The coating on the onion rings was so bitter and soggy - and I know they were fresh out of the fryer because I saw them flipped then boxed. The onions themselves weren't yet cooked all the way on the thicker slices either.
I ordered fried clams as well and the coating was the same soggy bitter yuk as the rings. The small ones usually promise a sweet and tender clam, but not this batch. My guess is that they were frozen. The smallest clams were as chewy as the larger ones - and for $12.9 per 1/2 pint???
I had hope for my lobster roll which was absolutely 100% lobster meat, but the lobster was warm, not like cooked in butter warm, but like it had been sitting out of the fridge too long I took it home and got it nice and cold before eating it, but the serving temperature surely is well above acceptable ranges for a meat and mayo item.
Anyway, I feel a sense of loss at the poor quality. The new owners are SO far removed from the old Tamarack gang that really cared about the product, that they've removed all of the signs about lake and restaurant history and such, leaving holes and fade marks on the building. I should have discerned the level of care from that alone when I pulled up.
Too bad really, I have a lot of good memories there.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #18
RailroadJoe

If you want good fried clams, I recommend the Dipsy Doodle Ice Cream shop in Northfield just south of the Tilton center.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #19
Tiger Lilly

We were EXTREMELY disappointed with our visit to Tamaracks this summer, as well. We were so looking forward to a thick chocolate frappe and they claimed to be out of milk!! The onion rings alone used to be to die for, but no longer. I'm very, very sad about it. Word must have spread because we were there at the dinner hour and there were only a few customers. The lines used to be out in the street.
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
gonetoolong

Default Maiden Cove & Tiger Lily...

This is Jim, I'm the last of the 3 brothers still involved with Tamarack. I am SO sorry that your experience at Tamarack was a bad one ! In the last 2 years that I've been running it I have put in a lot of effort to see that everything that goes out our windows is far above average. The only time we use frozen clams is when the price spikes from about $70.00 up to $110 - $120 a gallon Again, I am very sorry we weren't up to your expectations. My only wish is that if you have a problem, please please please, bring it to our attention! If we don't know there's a problem, we can't fix it and believe me, we want to fix any issues before we read about them like this. Also, it gives us a chance to backtrack the issue, was it the cook, was it the fryer, the clam fry, the product?....whatever, we want (& need) to know! I want happy customers and not dissapointed ones. Please come in again and ask for me or for Tracey. I promise I will make this right for you.

Sincerely,

Jim Clayton

Yeah.. the frappes, about that....I had 2, not 1 but 2, 2 employees who did not like making frappes. If they weren't in the mood to make them, they'd just say, "Sorry, we're out of milk".
They have since 'decided to seek other opportunities". & good luck to them I say!

Last edited by gonetoolong; 08-23-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add a P.S.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gonetoolong For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-23-2010), VtSteve (08-23-2010)
Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Jim,

Thanks for posting- good luck with your operation. I think everyone wants to see all of our locally owned restaurants and businesses thrive.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
VtSteve

Feedback is truly important, especially if the owner is willing to listen

You have a national treasure there Jim. I can only imagine, it's pretty tough to manage and supervise seasonal staff, and then deal with volatile prices. I used to survive on whole-belly clams, long hot dogs, and onion rings there. Granted, a family of four used to be able to eat that for a lot less. But my long dogs and clams were a religion for the summer.

As you can see, the Tamarack is an institution we all want to see survive and thrive
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
Shore Driver

I was in there this summer for the first time in years. The place needed a cleaning up around the grounds for sure. The trash barrels had no bags in them but that did not stop people from putting trash in there. Stuff was blowing everywhere. As for the food, soggy fries had a bitter aftertaste and the clams were nothing special. Did moving to zero-trans-fat oil make all fried foods taste lousy? Or is it me?

The pizza place out back was not even open (dinner only?) which was the reason I went after reading a few good reviews here.

Won't be headed back there soon.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #24
john60ri

Default Tamarack

I stopped at the Tamarack a couple of summers ago and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any clamcakes. He stared at me for bit, and then I think he said "What's a clamcake?" It was kind of embarrassing.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
hazelnut

Question Clam Cake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
I stopped at the Tamarack a couple of summers ago and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any clamcakes. He stared at me for bit, and then I think he said "What's a clamcake?" It was kind of embarrassing.
So what is a clamcake(sp)? I've heard of Crab Cakes and Fried Clams, even Stuffed Clams but I've never eaten a Clam Cake.

So who was embarrassed you or him? I think asking for a Clam Cake would be seeing that I've never seen it on any menu at any take-out style or other restaurant for that matter.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #26
Jonas Pilot

Default Clam cakes are groovy!

R. I. CLAM CAKES
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. fresh chives or parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 small can minced clams
1/2 c. clam broth or liquid
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Drain clams well, reserving 1/2 cup of clam broth liquid. Combine all ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls into medium hot oil in a deep fryer or heavy skillet.
Oil that is too hot or cakes which are too large will cause burning or uncooked centers. Adjust temperature up or down slightly to compensate. A good starting temperature is 360 degrees.

The clam cakes will float; turn them over gently as they rise to fully cook both sides. Do not overload the cooker, as this will reduce heat too much. Fry only a few at a time.

Drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce or Portuguese hot sauce, or just garnish with slices of lemon and a few sprigs of fresh parsley or kale. These are best while still warm, but can be served at room temperature as well.

These are an old New England favorite and have been served at Cape Cod clam shacks and Rhode Island sea-side diners for generations.

Great for Summer picnics and cookouts!
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
Meredith lady

Default Rhode Island

I grew up in RI and clamcakes, chowder (with the clear broth) and fritters (clam or corn) were a staple in the summer. Delicious!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
pops

Default two styles of clam cakes

Rhode Island style = clam fritter

Maine style= A mix of chopped sea clams,potato and cracker meal. Disk shaped about the size of an air hockey puck.

We serve the Maine style. They are made by Harmons.

Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
Argie's Wife

Quote:
And you couldn't think of some way to wind this guy up?

Oh, man... I'd have been going on about frosting, decorations, and wanting "Happy Birthday Louis" written on my clamcake.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #30
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
R. I. CLAM CAKES
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. fresh chives or parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 small can minced clams
1/2 c. clam broth or liquid
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Drain clams well, reserving 1/2 cup of clam broth liquid. Combine all ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls into medium hot oil in a deep fryer or heavy skillet.
Oil that is too hot or cakes which are too large will cause burning or uncooked centers. Adjust temperature up or down slightly to compensate. A good starting temperature is 360 degrees.

The clam cakes will float; turn them over gently as they rise to fully cook both sides. Do not overload the cooker, as this will reduce heat too much. Fry only a few at a time.

Drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce or Portuguese hot sauce, or just garnish with slices of lemon and a few sprigs of fresh parsley or kale. These are best while still warm, but can be served at room temperature as well.

These are an old New England favorite and have been served at Cape Cod clam shacks and Rhode Island sea-side diners for generations.

Great for Summer picnics and cookouts!

OH MAN those sound gooooooooooooodddd. I need to try these! I think I'm headed to Pops this weekend now!!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
john60ri

Default Clamcakes

If any of you folks are down in RI during the summer, make sure you try some clamcakes. My favorite place is Evelyn's in Tiverton, but there are many other places. Next time up there I'll try the ones at Pops, although I gotta say the Maine clamcake does not sound like the ones we have down here.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Clear Broth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
I grew up in RI and clamcakes, chowder (with the clear broth) and fritters (clam or corn) were a staple in the summer. Delicious!
I had the best clam chowder in RI at the tip of Rocky Point on Narragansett Bay. There use to be an amusement park next door. It wasn't clear, it was a tomato broth. The 'Rhodies' claims it was the best clam chowder on Earth. The also had the best crab cakes. Can't recall the name of the place.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #33
Argie's Wife

Default It really ain't chowdah... ayah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I had the best clam chowder in RI at the tip of Rocky Point on Narragansett Bay. There use to be an amusement park next door. It wasn't clear, it was a tomato broth. The 'Rhodies' claims it was the best clam chowder on Earth. The also had the best crab cakes. Can't recall the name of the place.
Please tell me you didn't just use the words "chowder" and "tomato broth" in the same sentence?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #34
Newbiesaukee

And" best crab cakes "must always end in "Maryland." We better be careful with this discussion or it will end up moved to the "issues" forum. Don't mess with regional specialties
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #35
john60ri

Default Broadhopper

You may be thinking about the Shore Dinner Hall at Rocky Point Park, which was a RI institution down here for many years. Spent many a pleasant summer evening down there, but now it's all gone. Yes, it was a red chowder, and it was good, but my favorite is the white chowder, which you can get at the local Chelo's restaurants down here. A real treat, with a side order of clamcakes, of course.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
.... I gotta say the Maine clamcake does not sound like the ones we have down here.
You are right, Maine clamcakes are quite different from the "real clamcakes" in RI. After several trips to Maine I have to say most of the Maine versions I have had are pretty good.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #37
VtSteve

I'll stick with my favorite, Conch Fritters. Give me Conch fritters and a grilled dolphin anyday.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #38
Winnipesaukee

As a part time resident of Baltimore (, hon), I can tell you that I've looked long and hard; it's close, but the best crab cakes are NOT in in Maryland (, hon). You gotta go to the Cape for that...

They use too much Ol' Bay downy'ear in Balmer, hon.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
NoBozo

Default Not About NH

I've been a resident of RI for over 40 years. I freely admit I'm NOT a native. Clam Cakes in a seafood restaurant in this state is ......Iffy. We call them Fried Dough Balls. YES they are tasty when you're hungry..but finding a clam cake with a small fragment of a clam in it is...well lucky.

I base my opinion on THE Place in Rhode Island for Seafood...Georges in Point Judith.

Evelyn's (Summer only) in Tiverton may be another story. They are equally famous as Georges. Never heard anything negative about them...but have never been there even though they are only 10 minutes away. Cholesterol: Maybe Georges in the winter is different than "In Season". Winter is the only season we have gone there.

RI Clam Cakes: Fried Dough Balls. Just sayin. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #40
RI Swamp Yankee

Default sorry, off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
....I base my opinion on THE Place in Rhode Island for Seafood...Georges in Point Judith. ...
No not Georges, go accross the street to Champlins, or down the road to Aunt Carrie's or up to Evelyn's

RI Clam Cakes: Fried Dough Balls. YUP!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #41
Waterbaby

Default Manhattan Clam Chowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Please tell me you didn't just use the words "chowder" and "tomato broth" in the same sentence?
"Red" clam chowder is usually called "Manhattan" clam chowder..........first time I was ever served that was on a cold rainy day in NY (of course), and I wouldn't eat it, sent it back, lol. It's just so not appetizing!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
"Red" clam chowder is usually called "Manhattan" clam chowder..........first time I was ever served that was on a cold rainy day in NY (of course), and I wouldn't eat it, sent it back, lol. It's just so not appetizing!
Matter of opinion, I much prefer Manhattan Clam Chowder to New England Clam Chowdah. First had Manhattan in the 50's when my folks took me to Jones Beach, it was love at first taste!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #43
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
Matter of opinion, I much prefer Manhattan Clam Chowder to New England Clam Chowdah. First had Manhattan in the 50's when my folks took me to Jones Beach, it was love at first taste!
Manhattan clam chowder should be outlawed. Nothing like overpowering (or covering up the lousy quality of) the clams with tomatoes. Yuck.

BTW, Manhattan chowder originated in Rhode Island...which might explain the lousy crab cakes...
Argie's Wife (09-05-2010)