Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
The Real BigGuy

Default Why I hate people fishing around my dock

Just went down to take my boat out and got stuck by a hook imbedded in my stern tie rope. Luckily it didn’t go barb deep. The shmuck cut the hook about 2/3rds of the way down and left it rather than pulling it out. Saved his leader, to heck with my finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Yup...that’s a schmuck. Least he could have done while he was literally at your dock is to cut the barb off the hook and removed it...easy peazy. Instead he endangered the homeowner and anyone else there including children.
Double schmuck. And that’s going easy on him.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
SAB1

Not sure I agree. First off how do we know it wasn't a young kid that did his best but knew no better when he tried? Second off even if it was an experienced fisherman what if he couldn't maneuver his boat close enough and long enough to your boat without damaginging due to wind. Many different scenarios could have come into play. I fish frequently and never intend for something like to happen but sometimes I does. Imagine if the person actually had tried to climb on the dock to retrieve it......
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
noreast

Don't put yourself in that position and it won't happen. I see guys casting right at peoples docks and boats all the time. Fisherman are no better or worse than any other group. Probably somewhere around 70% assholes. except for "professional bikers" They're probably 80%.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
belawinn (07-10-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default A little balance needed...

The reality is that it may be your dock & boat, but you've placed them in "our" water. Thats a nice option for you when you buy waterfront property. Its often a nice option for "our" fish to live around your dock & boat. Thank you for enhancing "our" fishes environment!
On the other hand, it is still your boat & dock legally placed in "our" water and that SHOULD be respected.
While I generally avoid dock fishing, when I do, I always take into account the private property & the folks who use it. I always consider the possibility of swimmers in the area so I will do my best to avoid snagging your stuff & to retrieve any hook snagged in your gear. Mostly I just avoid the whole issue by fishing natural cover.
GTO (07-05-2018), noreast (07-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 04:13 AM   #6
Reilly

Default Really ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Don't put yourself in that position and it won't happen. I see guys casting right at peoples docks and boats all the time. Fisherman are no better or worse than any other group. Probably somewhere around 70% assholes. except for "professional bikers" They're probably 80%.
Sorry but you sound like you are in the 80 % bracket
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reilly For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-05-2018), donmac (07-04-2018), ishoot308 (07-04-2018), ronc4424 (07-04-2018), SAB1 (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Sorry but you sound like you are in the 80 % bracket
Sure, but I'm a very considerate fisherman.
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
The reality is that it may be your dock & boat, but you've placed them in "our" water. ...
I normally express that sentiment when someone squawks about people near their dock/beach but in this instance, it sounds like the fisherman selfishly recovered a few extra inches of line without attention to the consequences of a hidden hook.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
garysanfran

Default Couple of years ago...

I was sitting in my living room and all of a sudden this guy appeared at my window. I went out on my deck and he had his boat tied to my dock and he had walked across my entire property to retrieve a lure caught in a bush on my beach.

I asked him what he was doing trespassing and he said he was getting "his" lure. I told him that lure was now mine and get the hell off my property. He then threw his cigarette onto my beach and went back to his boat and went away. When I encounter someone like this, I have no idea what they are up to, good or bad!

Next time this happens, a 12 gauge will accompany me. Why cast a lure like that in the first place?

I got many responses to that post about how considerate he was to retrieve the lure so no one would accidentally hook themselves. The lure was caught about 10' high. No danger in accidentally getting hooked. And the lure is still there today.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I was sitting in my living room and all of a sudden this guy appeared at my window. I went out on my deck and he had his boat tied to my dock and he had walked across my entire property to retrieve a lure caught in a bush on my beach.

I asked him what he was doing trespassing and he said he was getting "his" lure. I told him that lure was now mine and get the hell off my property. He then threw his cigarette onto my beach and went back to his boat and went away. When I encounter someone like this, I have no idea what they are up to, good or bad!

Next time this happens, a 12 gauge will accompany me. Why cast a lure like that in the first place?

I got many responses to that post about how considerate he was to retrieve the lure so no one would accidentally hook themselves. The lure was caught about 10' high. No danger in accidentally getting hooked. And the lure is still there today.
That’s what you call “brass balls” right there. I don’t know if I could have been so civil...especially when he flicked his butt on my beach...
Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:

You're making this up, right? Can't imagine this happening, and never has happened in the occasional times I've tied up to a stranger's dock, usually for storm shelter. Mostly, it's "Nice to meet you, how can I help, would you like a beer, have a seat".
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
greeleyhill (07-05-2018), ishoot308 (07-04-2018), KennyFromBoston (07-05-2018), Reilly (07-05-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
You're making this up, right? Can't imagine this happening, and never has happened in the occasional times I've tied up to a stranger's dock, usually for storm shelter. Mostly, it's "Nice to meet you, how can I help, would you like a beer, have a seat".
I guess I am surprised as well. So he got the lure stuck and wanted it retrieve it. I’m thinking he meant to harm. I too would have been one of those that start a conversation about the fishing, or “do u want a cold beer or tonic”? And this poor guy would have been...Hey Lady, will you and your family leave me be so I can get back to fishing!

Guess I have not been in the situation enough, where I am so opposed to strangers.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #13
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
That's been my experience as well, Twice I've been waved in by a stranger when I was not paying proper attention to the weather and was full speed trying to get out. One of the 1st lessons my father gave me when living on the lake.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #14
garysanfran

Default I didn't know what he was doing...

All I did, was see a stranger standing in front of my window. I live in a very remote area.

You wanted me to invite him for a beer?

NO!. You sacrifice the lure and stay off some stranger's property.

If you're expecting an invite for a beer if confronted, you be livin' dangerously. Bad assumption.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #15
garysanfran

Default It would have been different...

If I was outside and he asked me if he could come and get his lure. Then a beer may have been in order.

BUT...to come upon a stranger standing outside your sliding glass doors and not know who it is and what their intentions are, was very frightening.

Would the advice to invite him in for a beer be given to your wives? Hmmmm! I think not.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #16
Rusty

Quote:
If I was outside and he asked me if he could come and get his lure. Then a beer may have been in order.

BUT...to come upon a stranger standing outside your sliding glass doors and not know who it is and what their intentions are, was very frightening.

Would the advice to invite him in for a beer be given to your wives? Hmmmm! I think not.
Somehow I can't invision the layout of your house and bushes to the water. If the guy got his lure caught in the bushes, than your house much be near enough to them so that he stood in front of your sliding glass doors. Usually lures don't get cast so that they land anywhere near someone's window.
Just curious as to how close your sliding glass doors are to the water.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #17
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Somehow I can't invision the layout of your house and bushes to the water. If the guy got his lure caught in the bushes, than your house much be near enough to them so that he stood in front of your sliding glass doors. Usually lures don't get cast so that they land anywhere near someone's window.
Just curious as to how close your sliding glass doors are to the water.
twenty feet
Old 07-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #18
swnoel

Big deal... let him get his lure and be on his way. Opening your mouth and giving his crap could only create a problem for you... he knows where you live.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
Rusty

Quote:
twenty feet
Looks like the guy didn't have much choice but to pass in front of your widows in order to retrive his lure.
IMO it might have been better to help the guy get his lure and than wish him good luck with the fishing. He might have even given you a beer.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #20
Hillcountry

Have to say I can’t believe there are so many here that have no respect for a person’s private property. I would have acted the same way if someone, no matter who, trespassed on my property. These days you never know whom you are confronting and what their intentions are.
No doubt the “fisherman” was not a class act as evidenced by his tossing his filthy, butt on the property.
The proper way for him to retrieve his lure would have been to get the homeowner’s attention by tooting his horn and asking permission to dock and retrieve.
Being respectful to begin with goes a long way towards receiving respect back.
The argument about safe docking in storms doesn’t apply here...oranges and apples.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-05-2018), goutes23 (07-06-2018), noreast (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Being respectful to begin with goes a long way towards receiving respect back.
The argument about safe docking in storms doesn’t apply here...oranges and apples.
Been told a number of times no docking in really bad storms or windy situations on Winni. It's common sense and courtesy on other inland waterways and along the intercoastal.

Even at public docks such as Weirs and Glendale. The police will tell you to move on, despite the weather.

It must be a Winni thing!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #22
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I thought this was probably the best write up in regards to public access to private property in NH.

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

Today, it's easy to take this notion for granted. In New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England, we enjoy a long, proud tradition of public use of private land. This tradition also comes with a risk. A landowner who finds trash, disrespect or other problems can easily decide to post his or her land.

With that being the case obviously some level of respect is due to any landowner however at the same time many out of state land owners don't understand the long standing traditions and common law that NH has in place either. Frankly, it's all about attitude in the way one would address any situation and if a landowners first reaction to finding somebody on their property is confrontational that certainly sets the tone for the interaction that will follow. Being nice can go a long way...
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
bostique (07-05-2018), Descant (07-05-2018), FlyingScot (07-05-2018), Hillcountry (07-05-2018), ishoot308 (07-06-2018), KPW (07-05-2018), rick35 (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #23
garysanfran

Default Entiende por favor!

I would always allow someone in need to dock at my dock, in a storm, breakdown, etc., and I would gladly help them with their needs.

Let me explain to those who don't seem to understand.

I did not know what this person standing in front of my window was doing there. At that point I didn't know his boat was docked at my dock and he wasn't wearing a sign that said "I'm retrieving a lure from your beach".

As for keeping my mouth shut and just letting him do his thing because he now knows where I live? (if my 12 gauge had been in my hand, he'd also know I am well armed). For many decades, that has not been my style. Casper Milktoast I am not, and it has served me well so far.

The guy has not been seen again in over two years!

Ironically, or understandably, the property owners that seems to have the most problems with fishermen, live in Fish Cove.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
Kamper

"Any port in a storm" is not just a slogan. If you are in jeopardy, go ahead and tie off. I think the legal principle is called 'force majeur' or you take the lesser of competing harms. Dieing/Scaring the crap out of your kids Vs. pissing off a dock-owner is a no brainer. If being nice doesn't work just tell them you'll wait peacefully for the cops to come. The cop may pretend to give you a warning but I doubt it.

I used to help manage a large private beach in Laconia. I had no problem chasing off people who thought it was a park but if someone tied up during a storm it wasn't worth getting wet to even go talk to them. I've jump started more than a few who drifted up also.

That being said, I would have words with someone who over-cast 20 feet onto the land even if they did stay away from the houses.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
The Real BigGuy

The only issue I had with someone at my dock in a storm was when he was in my slip so I couldn’t get in. Also, there must be a name for someone who overcasts by 20 ft. (Other than a bad fisherman). That is like shooting a free throw in basketball and throwing it 10 rows deep into the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
greeleyhill

Default This seems appropriate to offer

As quoted "...As for keeping my mouth shut and just letting him do his thing because he now knows where I live? (if my 12 gauge had been in my hand, he'd also know I am well armed). For many decades, that has not been my style. Casper Milktoast I am not, and it has served me well so far."

For garysanfran...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfX_oDzOxsc

Last edited by greeleyhill; 07-05-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Typo
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greeleyhill For This Useful Post:
belawinn (07-10-2018), kawishiwi (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #27
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Been told a number of times no docking in really bad storms or windy situations on Winni. It's common sense and courtesy on other inland waterways and along the intercoastal.

Even at public docks such as Weirs and Glendale. The police will tell you to move on, despite the weather.

It must be a Winni thing!
I'm generally appreciative of our MPs, I think they do a good job and are very valuable. But if I was genuinely concerned about the weather and safety, I would not follow the police instructions. I would just accept the ticket. If it was a large amount, I would probably appeal it later.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #28
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

I don't think MP will enforce town ordinances that say no docking 2am-6am or whatever. I have also been told that if you have to leave your boat at a public dock, a call to the local PD with an explanation goes a long way. I've also heard that if you stayed at the dock due to foul weather, an officer might tell you "You can't stay here." and then walk away. These officers have a job to do, but they are not without understanding. As with a speeding stop, you can get a ticket or you can get a warning, officer discretion.

"You can't do that on Winni..." in my experience is frequently unsubstantiated. What we called "a sea story" in the Navy. Usually starts with "No shxx! This really happened." I've been at a lot of meetings with folks from various state agencies. Ask about some of these things and they say "Yeah. We've heard that too. Nobody knows where the story started."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #29
Music Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I thought this was probably the best write up in regards to public access to private property in NH.

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. .... Being nice can go a long way...
Yeah, I tend to go easy on the neighbor's kids retrieving softballs from my yard.
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote