Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
WakeboardMom

Default Bats

Any thoughts on how to have them vacate our premises? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

I'm glad to have bats around my place. They eat a tremendous amount of bugs.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Release the Kraken !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Any thoughts on how to have them vacate our premises? Thanks!
The general rule is to find out how they're getting in. You seal up all the avenues of ingress/egress ... except for one. Then on some night when they're out ... seal it up and the bats out. In an old camp, this is harder than it sounds.

Some other tips here ...
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/od...t-rid-of-bats/

Then again maybe a cat would help ...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Skip

Question What do bats prefer at the bar????

OK, I'm doing my best FLL smartaleck impression here....

Get'em free Bloody Mary gift certificates for the Lobster Pound.

While they're there waiting two hours for their first round you have plenty of time to tidy up all the batholes in the house!

Ok, Ok....I know.....I'm know FLL.

I'll knock off the funny stuff until the ForumFest.....I promise!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
trfour

Post Getting Rid Of The Bats...

Hey, There's a neat little electronic unit you can purchase that will drive 'em out!
I never had to try 'em. However, they seem to work pretty well when the opposing teams use them in the red sox dugout, coming down to the stretch.

"GO REDSOX"!!!!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
ACutAbove

I use Tom Boucher from Alpha Omega wildlife control in Meredith .he has always done a great job when i suggest him to my customers . I do not have his # handy right now tho..sorry
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Default Did the bat knock first before you let him in?

Knock Knock

Who's there!

Bat!

Bat who?

Bat you'll never guess!!
(groan!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACutAbove View Post
I use Tom Boucher from Alpha Omega wildlife control in Meredith .he has always done a great job when i suggest him to my customers . I do not have his # handy right now tho..sorry
I 2nd this suggestion. I have used Tom (603 630 2598), several times now for bats and squirrels at different house's and have been very satisfied.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
I'm glad to have bats around my place. They eat a tremendous amount of bugs.
Okay to the eating bugs thing, but when they're sittin' on your bed in the middle of the night, we're not feelin' the love. They need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Hey, There's a neat little electronic unit you can purchase that will drive 'em out!
So...my husband was discussing our situation with our next-door neighboor, and the neighbor said he had had the problem earlier in the summer, and those devices solved it. "Thanks. Apparently they left your house and moved into mine."

My husband went to the hardware store, bought several of those units, and we're crossing our fingers. Hope the critters move on to the next guy's house!!

If not, we'll call the exterminator recommended. Thanks, guys!
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I agree with you Wakeboard Mom, they are not fun when they get in your house. I know it is hard to believe but the first series of shots for them at Huggins is around $5400 and at So. Maine Medical around $9400. The problem is they don't leave marks and you don't feel them bite you so you don't know if you were bitten or not.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
This'nThat

First of all, don't try to kill the bats. There are laws against that. Second, bats produce lots of guano (droppings) which is unsanitary, and serves as a fertile breeding ground for a fungal disease called Histoplasmosis, which is transferable to humans who breathe in the fungal spores. Bats are also known to carry rabies, a viral disease that causes progressive paralysis and death in mammals, including humans.

They can also get into the house using spaces as small as 1/4" - 1/2". And a typical house will have lots of spaces that small, so plugging these up is a big job.

Finally, there's a period of time during which you can't get rid of the bats -- because they are raising their young. This is during the summer months. So if you have bats -- you'll have to wait till the end of August/beginning of September to try to get rid of them.

Good luck. Hire a professional that'll warrant their work for at least 5 years. Bats will spend years trying to return to their original home -- they are attracted there by the residual smell of their urine. Ugh!
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (08-16-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
jmen24

Wakeboardmom, having them sitting on the bed is not very good at all.

Most bat species we have in this area produce a bite that does not hurt and is not very noticable (looks like a bug bite). That being said it is very important that you not get bitten by a bat while you are sleeping (per the chance of disease transmission).

I know, sorry for the next few sleepless nights, but you need to get an exterminator pronto.

You need to read the following links, the first is very important based on your situation.

http://www.batconservation.org/content/Batproblems.html

"On a camping trip we woke up to find a bat in our tent. Should we have been concerned?
Yes. Because bats have small teeth and claws, it is possible to be bitten by a bat and not know it. Therefore, if you find you've been sleeping in the same room with a bat you should see a doctor as soon as possible. This also applies if a bat is found in a room with a child or a mentally impaired or intoxicated person."

Quote is from the following site http://www.vaccineinformation.org/rabies/qandadis.asp
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Therefore, if you find you've been sleeping in the same room with a bat you should see a doctor as soon as possible. This also applies if a bat is found in a room with a child or a mentally impaired or intoxicated person."
Yikes!A long time ago after a rough night I woke up one morning with an old bat in my bedroom.I never thought to go see the doctor.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Yikes!A long time ago after a rough night I woke up one morning with an old bat in my bedroom.I never thought to go see the doctor.
Nice Sik, make light of a serious quote.
Can barely type while laughing this hard though.

I have definately got to get in touch with you when I head up to Cannon this year.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
donnamatrix

Default Bats in the attic

Hi . We use Tom Boucher of Alpha Omega as well. We live in Moultonboro. We had bats living in the contained space above our farmer's porch. BUT, my husband noticed bat guano on the side of the house (bats were getting in thru very small space-we have vinyl siding which has LOTS of opportunities for bats). We got out the power washer to wash off the sides of the house ... this was probably May of last year. The bats went away. Tom said that the noise of the power washer water hitting the house (and maybe some water getting into where they were living) spooked them. However, the Histoplasmosis virus is real---I suffered from what's called Probable Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome (POHS) ... it has caused permanent scarring in the retina of my left eye and left me with slightly degraded sight in that eye. It's not uncommon in the southwest, on chicken farms, on Indian reservations and for spelunkers (cave explorers). I have no idea how I got mine. Hire a professional, it's not terribly expensive.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote