Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
rsmlp

Default ice out damage

ok, I don't know about you guys but my breakwater got HAMMERED by the ice this year. been on the lake since '97 and never before have I seen anything like this. took the last 15 feet of my dock off like it was butter and actually ripped out a 16" log right from of the breakwater! holy costly repair! permits, delays and significant cost not to mention what the %^&* do I do with my boat? make this an "interesting" spring. whatever.
my wife and I were at the boston marathon last year ON THE FINISH LINE when our two daughters were just about to cross the line and... well we all know what happened, fortunately nobody hurt and today we were there again so all is well.

puts things like the damn ice in perspective. know what I mean?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (04-21-2014), Diana (04-22-2014), ishoot308 (04-22-2014), Jeanzb1 (04-21-2014), Oregonrain (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
ok, I don't know about you guys but my breakwater got HAMMERED by the ice this year. been on the lake since '97 and never before have I seen anything like this. took the last 15 feet of my dock off like it was butter and actually ripped out a 16" log right from of the breakwater! holy costly repair! permits, delays and significant cost not to mention what the %^&* do I do with my boat? make this an "interesting" spring. whatever.
my wife and I were at the boston marathon last year ON THE FINISH LINE when our two daughters were just about to cross the line and... well we all know what happened, fortunately nobody hurt and today we were there again so all is well.

puts things like the damn ice in perspective. know what I mean?
rsmlp - At our previous place on the lake we had full exposure to both the northwest and easterly winds, waves and ice floes. I used to keep an NH DES/Wetlands Bureau "Maintenance/Repair" permit in effect at all times in the event of the kind of ice damage you have just incurred. It paid off for us several times. That DES permit, once issued, is good for five years so you might consider keeping one in effect going forward to minimize the time it will take you to have ice damage repairs made to your dock.
rgilfert (04-22-2014), rsmlp (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Onshore

Repair permits are good for 5 years and now can be extended to ten years. BUT you have to request to extend the permit BEFORE it expires.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (04-22-2014), Rattlesnake Gal (04-25-2014), Slickcraft (04-23-2014), upthesaukee (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
Repair permits are good for 5 years and now can be extended to ten years. BUT you have to request to extend the permit BEFORE it expires.
If the state allows repair permits to be on file for 10-years what is the point? Why even have repair permits. Couldn't the same be accomplished by allowing homeowners to repair damaged docks at anytime to their previous status?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
Orion

Default follow the money

Without permits, how would they get your money?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (04-24-2014), secondcurve (04-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I had no idea you could even have a permit on hand-----
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
bkeav111

Default Dock Damage

My dock never had any ice damage. I have owned the camp witch is on Lockes Island for 16 years.
Attached Images

bkeav111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Boy that stinks! I suppose I shouldn't grumble that I have to assemble/disassemble my seasonal dock each year.

I bet anyone doing dock repairs this year will have a banner year. Better get them lined up early or you're going to be waiting till august to get it fixed.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
winterh

My dock looks much the same as the pic above. I called my insurance agent who told me I was covered. She then called me back an hour later to say the underwriter pointed out the language in my policy that excludes ice damage. The language was there so maybe I should have read the fine print. I am with Nationwide, is this standard on most policies?
Working on getting a price now but what might I expect to fix something similar to above?
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sorry to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
My dock looks much the same as the pic above. I called my insurance agent who told me I was covered. She then called me back an hour later to say the underwriter pointed out the language in my policy that excludes ice damage. The language was there so maybe I should have read the fine print. I am with Nationwide, is this standard on most policies?
Working on getting a price now but what might I expect to fix something similar to above?
That exclusion is part of the HO3 Homeowner policy coverage and applies to Coverage A (the main structure) or Coverage B (Appurtenant Structures, which are buildings or structure not attached to the main house). The exclusion, in part, applies to Wharves, piers, docks, etc..

Unfortunately, the Insurance gods giveth, and they taketh away, and sometimes even giveth it back, and could taketh it back again. Policies are not made by Insurance companies, they are basic forms which have been modified by legal opinions, and hence are more written by Lawyers and Judges than by Underwriters and Actuarials.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
steve-on-mark

I always hold my breath when I go home to the back side of Mark for the first time...keeping my fingers crossed!
steve-on-mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeav111 View Post
My dock never had any ice damage. I have owned the camp witch is on Lockes Island for 16 years.
sorry to see that Bart....did you run a circulator??
Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
bkeav111

Default Dock damage

No. I don't think it would have helped in this case.We had a big SW wind and a high water level
bkeav111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
ITD

I feel your pain, it's nothing a thousand or so dollars won't fix. BTDT. One year out of 14.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
steve-on-mark

Quote:
No. I don't think it would have helped in this case.We had a big SW wind and a high water level
you're probably right...I'll still hold my breath going out!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #16
Loony Singer

Default Watermark is extremely busy!

We suffer varying degrees of dock damage every 2-3 years. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing when the ice starts to move. In our case southerly winds usually cause the problem.

This year was a bit different. We had some minor damage in mid-winter. Anyway, earlier this week I called our friends at Watermark to get them lined up. They are already booking well into July!
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Boy that stinks! I suppose I shouldn't grumble that I have to assemble/disassemble my seasonal dock each year.

I bet anyone doing dock repairs this year will have a banner year. Better get them lined up early or you're going to be waiting till august to get it fixed.
While having a permanent fixed dock, is a nice luxury, Seasonal docks, are often the safest bet... Sure you have to get in the water twice a year to put it in and take it out.... but it is safe from the ice... and I personally love that security blanket....
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I had no idea you could even have a permit on hand-----
IF you plan to do the repairs yourself, you'd need to break out the farm jack.

Still under $50 from Harbor Freight.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #19
Pricestavern

Default Crank It Up (to 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
While having a permanent fixed dock, is a nice luxury, Seasonal docks, are often the safest bet... Sure you have to get in the water twice a year to put it in and take it out.... but it is safe from the ice... and I personally love that security blanket....
...as long as you crank your dock up high enough! Lesson learned this year: make sure you pull the dock up high enough that the legs closest to shore are high enough to avoid the rising ice as the lake refills during the early spring. Ours was OK in the Fall, but didn't give it enough clearance to account for the high spring lake levels. We lost both shore-side dock legs (Thank You, Island Girl, for spotting it this weekend and letting us know!)
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
...as long as you crank your dock up high enough! Lesson learned this year: make sure you pull the dock up high enough that the legs closest to shore are high enough to avoid the rising ice as the lake refills during the early spring. Ours was OK in the Fall, but didn't give it enough clearance to account for the high spring lake levels. We lost both shore-side dock legs (Thank You, Island Girl, for spotting it this weekend and letting us know!)
PricesTavern, As I too have an articulating dock.. My advice is to take the legs closest to the shore complete off the dock... I ran into the same problem a few years back..... ever since then the legs closest to the shore come off... yep its a few minutes more work... but overall the it is much more stress free wondering if I have the dock up high enough...
Pricestavern (04-28-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #21
DRH

Default Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I ran into the same situation a few years ago with my insurance company (Amica). (Like you, I hadn't read the "fine print" closely enough.) My dock got whacked by the ice and needed considerable repair, but when I contacted Amica they said ice damage is not covered. So if someone runs into my dock with a boat and smashes it I'm covered, but not if the ice smashes it.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #22
AC2717

in some carriers cases, you can purchase the coverage back from them, and might be surprised to find out that it would not cost all that much.

On the downside of doing that, if you put the claim in, not that your rates will go up, but you will loose your loss free credit for 3-5 years depending on carrier, which is about 10% so you ideally would just be financing your $1,000 repair instead of paying out of pocket

insurance is going the way of it is only there for the major loss instead of the little things, which has caused the rates to rise, all the little things, amongst others.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #23
Steveo

Default Alton Bay damage

Cruised most of Alton bay this weekend and didn't see much ice damage except this on west side near Pumpkin Point. You can tell that the ice was moving out of the Bay (North) when it hit this boat house.
Attached Images

Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #24
Buoy #67

Quote:
Would agree with you. I have never seen the ice move the way it did with the wind and then to suddenly change wind direction within an hour. I watched it just destroy two of our neighbors docks in a instant !! Hope your up and running soon !!
Buoy #67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

Looks like a slush puppy might have been able to make that damage on that structure.Stills unfortunate though.