Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
260remguy

Default New guy here, tell me about mooring on Lake Winnipesaukee

Hi, new guy here!

I'm in the process of relocating to NH and want to find a mooring on Lake Winnesaukee for my 22" Larson. Rather than drive around and visit a bunch of them, I thought that I'd ask this pool of experts for your advise on mooring options.

I'll be living close to the I-93 corridor and looking at the map, it looks like the easiest/shortest access is via NH-104 from I-93 to Meredith.

I have not visited this part of NH in person, only by map and GOOGLE EARTH.

Jeff in Omaha
260remguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260remguy View Post
Hi, new guy here!

I'm in the process of relocating to NH and want to find a mooring on Lake Winnesaukee for my 22" Larson. Rather than drive around and visit a bunch of them, I thought that I'd ask this pool of experts for your advise on mooring options.

I'll be living close to the I-93 corridor and looking at the map, it looks like the easiest/shortest access is via NH-104 from I-93 to Meredith.

I have not visited this part of NH in person, only by map and GOOGLE EARTH.

Jeff in Omaha
If you get your name on a wait list at all the marina's in the area that you want to be in you might get a, mooring, boat rack, or dock for next season. You're a little late for this year. Pickings are slim to none.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Dave R

Wait for an economic down-turn and there will be plenty of dock space available...

A22 foot Larson may fit under low bridges which gives you a few more options on the south end of the lake like Back Bay in Wolfeboro and Parker's in Alton. Guessing you probably can't sleep aboard and don't have a shore power connection; if so, renting private dock space at someone's lakeside home might be an option.

Good luck
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default No shortcuts...

You dont need to drive to them but you do need to call and/or email all of the marinas in your acceptable area.
Moorings seem to be mostly private or attached to a membership organization. There are a few for rent though. Unless you buy waterfront property you just have to do the work. I think you will be glad you did.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Wait for an economic down-turn and there will be plenty of dock space available...

A22 foot Larson may fit under low bridges which gives you a few more options on the south end of the lake like Back Bay in Wolfeboro and Parker's in Alton. Guessing you probably can't sleep aboard and don't have a shore power connection; if so, renting private dock space at someone's lakeside home might be an option.

Good luck
Is it legal to rent a dock space at your private dock? Also would you have to have some kind of insurance if something happens to their boat?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
260remguy

The house that I've made an offer on is in Franconia, so I'll probably do most of my boating on the Connecticut River in a 17.5' BassTracker.

There is a mooring in the classified ads for rent in Meredith for about $6,200 for the season. What is "the season", Memorial Day thru Labor Day? I've never run this boat on a lake, just on the Missouri River from Sioux City, IA, to St. Louis, MO, on the Missouri River impound lakes in South Dakota, and on the Mississippi River between St. Louis and the Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois.

I'm only planning to use this boat between 10 and 20 times per season, so $6,200 seems a bit pricey for such limited use, but as with many consumer goods, the balance of supply and demand dictates price.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Insurance

Your boat insurance would cover boat related issues. Homeowners Insurance cover your personal liability for injury or damage you might cause personally (except car of course). A landlord (dock owner) might want a confirmation of insurance from your agent/insurer. There would normally not be an extra charge for this.
I don't know of any reason you can't rent dock space, same a s renting space in your barn for somebody to store a car or boat. Probably should tell your insurance company, but this is probably incidental to normal use of a home.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
kawishiwi

Default Just tow it.

I think most ramps are around $20 for round trip launch & recovery. For you its 2 to 4 hundred dollars a season + wear & tear on your towing vehicle.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
The house that I've made an offer on is in Franconia, so I'll probably do most of my boating on the Connecticut River in a 17.5' BassTracker.

There is a mooring in the classified ads for rent in Meredith for about $6,200 for the season. What is "the season", Memorial Day thru Labor Day? I've never run this boat on a lake, just on the Missouri River from Sioux City, IA, to St. Louis, MO, on the Missouri River impound lakes in South Dakota, and on the Mississippi River between St. Louis and the Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois.

I'm only planning to use this boat between 10 and 20 times per season, so $6,200 seems a bit pricey for such limited use, but as with many consumer goods, the balance of supply and demand dictates price.

Thanks!

Jeff
The “season” for most on Lake Winnipesaukee is mid-May through Columbus Day. There are folks that use their boats earlier and later but for marinas, this is the season.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:

There is a mooring in the classified ads for rent in Meredith for about $6,200 for the season. What is "the season", Memorial Day thru Labor Day?

Thanks!

Jeff
Are you talking about a mooring or keeping your boat at a dock? $6,200 seems steep for a mooring and even a little high for a dock.

The busy season is certainly from Memorial Day to Labor Day but many people begin using their boats after "ice out" which is often in April and don't stop until late October.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
kawishiwi

Default Season

Oh, a "season" is usually at least memorial thru labor day.
Many times its May 1 to some time in October. My slip season is May 1 to last weekend in October.

Last edited by kawishiwi; 06-18-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: sp.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
260remguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I think most ramps are around $20 for round trip launch & recovery. For you its 2 to 4 hundred dollars a season + wear & tear on your towing vehicle.
I'm leasing a tow vehicle, a Ford F250, so wear and tear is not an important consideration.

I really don't want to haul the boat from Franconia to Lake Winnipesaukee and back again more than once per year, even though most of the haul would be on I-93. I would like the convenience of a mooring, but have to balance the value/convenience against having to add around $500 per month to the budget. I was thinking that $1,800 per season would be in the ballpark, but I appear to have missed that ballpark by a quite a bit.

For clarification, I'm looking at this for the 2019 boating season, as it will take me at least three trips to get all of my vehicles, ATVs, and boats moved from Omaha to Franconia. Plus, it will take a couple of months just to get the house upgraded to my Wife's requirements, to get everything sorted out, and to get the new LaValley's Pierce Arrow 48'x28' garage built.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
kawishiwi

Default Choices...

So 2019 is doable but I would start now making contacts. You might have to wait for fall to sign a contract but it has become a more competitive env in the last year or two. You dont want to be "boat homeless" come next Jan.

Boat valet is a big thing here too in addition to slips & moorings. Sounds right up your alley as long as you wont be fishing here.

Also, nearby Winnisquam lake is smaller than Winnipesaukee and gets rave reviews from afficianados. Options are more limited there but migh be less $.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Charlie T

Default Store on a trailer

Before I purchased my home at the lake I kept my 20 ft cuddy on a trailer at Silver Sands in Gilford. The yearly rent covered storage on a trailer in the locked outside yard plus the yearly launching ramp fee. I used my own vehicle to launch the boat. This may be an option for you.

Good Luck and enjoy our beautiful lake when you get here.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #15
260remguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
Before I purchased my home at the lake I kept my 20 ft cuddy on a trailer at Silver Sands in Gilford. The yearly rent covered storage on a trailer in the locked outside yard plus the yearly launching ramp fee. I used my own vehicle to launch the boat. This may be an option for you.

Good Luck and enjoy our beautiful lake when you get here.
Thanks for this information! I'll contact them. If they have a decent ramp, I can probably launch and retrieve it with one of my other AWD or 4WD vehicles and save myself from the rough ride in the F-250.

I'm looking forward to harvesting hundreds of your cold water rock bass to feed my friends at our three big annual fish frys to celebrate Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
Biggd

Quote:
Thanks for this information! I'll contact them. If they have a decent ramp, I can probably launch and retrieve it with one of my other AWD or 4WD vehicles and save myself from the rough ride in the F-250.

I'm looking forward to harvesting hundreds of your cold water rock bass to feed my friends at our three big annual fish frys to celebrate Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Jeff
Oh no, you can't take any fish from the lake unless you're a property owner. They belong to waterfront land owners. They must all be catch and release.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #17
The Real BigGuy

I think the last time I was able to rent a slip for $1800 a year was in the mid to late 80’s

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Do what marinas do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Is it legal to rent a dock space at your private dock? Also would you have to have some kind of insurance if something happens to their boat?
I would think that like marinas, you would simply have to include a good harmless agreement as part of the dock rental / lease contact.

As others have said, boat owner's insurance should cover damage at the dock.

Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #19
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I would think that like marinas, you would simply have to include a good harmless agreement as part of the dock rental / lease contact.

As others have said, boat owner's insurance should cover damage at the dock.

Dave

Wouldn’t that be health insurance

Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #20
Descant

Close. I often "don't feel so good" whenever I leave my boat.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #21
kawishiwi

Default Did that 4 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I think the last time I was able to rent a slip for $1800 a year was in the mid to late 80’s

I was able to rent a slip for a 22' boat for exactly $1800 4 years ago. A diff slip at the same place became available for purchase the next year for thin money so I jumped on that. If you truly seek, you can find.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
Biggd

I bought my house in Meredith 4 years ago. Prices have spiked since then. I think we got in at the right time. 😁

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
The Real BigGuy

I bought a slip about 18 yrs ago. Best investment I ever made although that’s not why I did it. Should have purchased 3. At one point they appreciated 500%.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #24
Descant

Rack/valet is still around $18-2200, and that puts you in line for winter storage and valet the next year. Of course, if you're thinking of buying a boat, that gives you more leverage. In the meantime, I'd take the short term approach and wait for the market to turn around. Prices are at high points now, whether buying or renting.

Are you a lifetime Winnipesaukee boater, or is this something that you're trying for a few years? Could make a big difference.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #25
RUGMAN

Harila landing has a wet slip for rent.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #26
Woody38

Another option may be buying a slip somewhere. Several are listed in the classified section. A cost that may need to be financed but also offers resale sometime in the future.

Just a thought.

--------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-19-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #27
260remguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Rack/valet is still around $18-2200, and that puts you in line for winter storage and valet the next year. Of course, if you're thinking of buying a boat, that gives you more leverage. In the meantime, I'd take the short term approach and wait for the market to turn around. Prices are at high points now, whether buying or renting.

Are you a lifetime Winnipesaukee boater, or is this something that you're trying for a few years? Could make a big difference.
I am only a casual boater, so my commitment to Lake Winnipesaukee is equally casual.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #28
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I am only a casual boater, so my commitment to Lake Winnipesaukee is equally casual.
Another option would be to contact Daves' Motorboat Shoppe in Gilford. He most likely has plenty of space for you to park your boat and trailer on his property for a fee. Being only 1/2 mile from Fay's boat yard where you can launch for a very small fee, this would be the most economical way to get you on the lake. At least you wouldn't have to trailer your boat the entire way and a simple 10 minute launch would get you in the water.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #29
C-Bass

I see a sign out for lanes end in tuftonboro commenting on wet slips available. Melvin/Ambrose might still have valet available.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote