Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Home Theatre Person...

I did a search of previous threads/posts, but came up empty. Does anyone have a home theatre person that they would recommend? This is for troubleshooting/fixing an existing system installed by the previous owner of my house... not purchasing and installing a new system.

I did have someone come out already and he diagnosed the problem and said he "would get back to me". 6 weeks and 3 or 4 phone calls by me later, I haven't heard a peep, so time to find someone new.

Thanks!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I did a search of previous threads/posts, but came up empty. Does anyone have a home theatre person that they would recommend? This is for troubleshooting/fixing an existing system installed by the previous owner of my house... not purchasing and installing a new system.

I did have someone come out already and he diagnosed the problem and said he "would get back to me". 6 weeks and 3 or 4 phone calls by me later, I haven't heard a peep, so time to find someone new.

Thanks!
Jim Nichols. A Plus 603-476-2440. He is in Moultonborough and doing ny new home in Laconia AV Alarm Cameras Outdoor lighting. He has been great. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
What was the problem?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
mishman

Default similar need

I have a similar need - our central remote no longer works to operate Directv, receiver, DVR and new TV as several units had to be replaced. My wife complains that it now takes three remotes to do what one used to but for the life of me I can't seem to program the remote to integrate these new devices. Could use some help but don't want to pay a fortune. Any suggestions appreciated.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Logitech Remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
I have a similar need - our central remote no longer works to operate Directv, receiver, DVR and new TV as several units had to be replaced. My wife complains that it now takes three remotes to do what one used to but for the life of me I can't seem to program the remote to integrate these new devices. Could use some help but don't want to pay a fortune. Any suggestions appreciated.
I have the old Harmony 350. It gets updated with new equipment and firmware as they come out just via your laptop. It takes the place of 4 remotes beautifully! (TV, DTA, sound bar, Blu Ray, Stereo Receiver). It can control up to 7 remotes.

The Roku stick uses a different technology, however the new Harmony 650 takes care of all!

Very easy to set up! Give it a try. Best Buy will match Amazon price!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
MeredithMan

Default Unfortunately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Jim Nichols. A Plus 603-476-2440. He is in Moultonborough and doing ny new home in Laconia AV Alarm Cameras Outdoor lighting. He has been great. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, Jim was the guy that came out back at the end of January. He was very friendly, polite, and knowledgeable, but I never heard back from him, despite several follow-up phone calls on my part. I guess my repair was not as high on the pecking order as new installs, which I totally understand...he's a small businessman and needs to prioritize his time. So, time to move on....
Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
MeredithMan

Default The problem was, (still is)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What was the problem?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
The color suddenly was not right. Anything blue seemed almost gray, and the reds and greens were more intense than usual. I thought the TV was shot, but that didn't make sense to me, since it is a Sony Bravia and is only about 8 years old.

Some backstory on the installation:

The TV is embedded into the wall over a fireplace. The opening for the TV has a motorized print that can open and close, thus making it look like there is a big picture on the wall when the tv is not in use. All of the equipment is in a closet on the other side of the room. This install was done 8 or so years ago by the previous owner. My understanding is that HDMI cables were not in vogue then, so CAT-5 cable was run from the equipment, through the wall, to the opening for the TV. The CAT-5 is plugged into a BALUN, which connects to the Red, Blue, Green video cables coming from the TV. Because it is a complex installation, I wanted to have a professional take care of it, not the dopey homeowner, (aka, Me)

When the home theatre guy came out to diagnose the problem 6+ weeks ago, he said that the Blue tone was not being recognized from the TV. Could either be a bad Blue cable or the BALUN had failed. He was going to go off and research the part, get me a price on a new one, etc. That was the last I heard. So, time to find someone new....
Old 03-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

You can try contacting Ron from Orbit Satellite in Tilton. Not sure how busy he is doing new installs but worth a shot.

Dan
MeredithMan (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Just Sold

Jerry Boyson at Lake Winnipesaukee Home Theater 4 Whittier Hwy rt 25 (next to kayak store). Moultonborough, NH 03254 . (603) 630-1392
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Second Ron from Orbit. Difficult Install and he nailed it

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-30-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Quote:
The color suddenly was not right. Anything blue seemed almost gray, and the reds and greens were more intense than usual. I thought the TV was shot, but that didn't make sense to me, since it is a Sony Bravia and is only about 8 years old.

Some backstory on the installation:

The TV is embedded into the wall over a fireplace. The opening for the TV has a motorized print that can open and close, thus making it look like there is a big picture on the wall when the tv is not in use. All of the equipment is in a closet on the other side of the room. This install was done 8 or so years ago by the previous owner. My understanding is that HDMI cables were not in vogue then, so CAT-5 cable was run from the equipment, through the wall, to the opening for the TV. The CAT-5 is plugged into a BALUN, which connects to the Red, Blue, Green video cables coming from the TV. Because it is a complex installation, I wanted to have a professional take care of it, not the dopey homeowner, (aka, Me)

When the home theatre guy came out to diagnose the problem 6+ weeks ago, he said that the Blue tone was not being recognized from the TV. Could either be a bad Blue cable or the BALUN had failed. He was going to go off and research the part, get me a price on a new one, etc. That was the last I heard. So, time to find someone new....
I saw a similar setup a year ago. The TV is pre HDMI and a unique HD plasma TV. with composite cables. The TV was built into the wall of an elaborate theatre setup. The original installer from Bedford have retired. Local businesses told the owner to get a new state of the art system. The install is to cost more than the technology!

Called Phil's TV in Franklin. He was able to replace the electronics in the old TV and made color corrections. The TV is outstanding!
I would give Phil a call.
MeredithMan (04-01-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
MeredithMan

Default Update....

After the recommendations here from ishoot308 and WinnisquamZ, and other research, I decided to go with Ron from Orbit. Happy to report that he came out last week and got me back on line fairly inexpensively. Turns out he found the problem to be a crappy cable that had been supplied by.....wait for it.....wait for it..... Metrocast! Boooooo!.....Hissssss!

Thanks ishoot and WinnisquamZ for the recommendation!
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #13
Advisor88

Quote:

Thanks!
Cinemesque in Chocorua. Great service!

Advisor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Phils' TV

I second Phil's TV! He did a great job repairing a number of TVs you would normally scrap. His 'color correction' is as good or better than Best Buy and cheaper!

Phil mentioned that LG TV's or repairable while others can be hit or miss. Since plasma TVs are hard to come by, he was able to repair/upgrade mine so I am enjoying this technology.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
Overlake97

Thumbs up Mark Bourgeault - Surround Sound of Meredith

I'd highly recommend Mark Bourgeault. The link for his company (Surround Sound of Meredith ) is shown below. Mark installed two Samsung TVs in our house back in 2008, running speaker wire through all the (intact) walls and connecting both TVs to home theater receivers (4 surround speakers, plus center speaker and subwoofer). More recently (Spring of 2016), we had him install another TV above a fireplace (plus 4 in-wall speakers) while we were finishing our basement. Mark is very concerned about getting it right, is extremely fair price-wise, knows exactly what he's doing, and best of all he is RELIABLE! He arrives when he says he will, and sticks with the project until it's finished. His website has a variety of photos of installations he's completed, including our original two, and I really can't recommend him highly enough.

http://surroundsoundofmeredith.com/w....com/Home.html
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
cinemaesque

Default top rated home theater company in the lakes region

We have been in business since 1993, and are top rated across the web.

Check out this link:

http://www.facebook.com/cinemaesquenh
cinemaesque is offline   Reply With Quote