Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Juiced06GTO

Default First timer staying on the big lake, but not NH

Hey guys, stumbled across this forum while searching for the best place to put in for our stay this week on the lake. My family has a place on Upper Suncook lake which is where I grew up boating for the most part. I have been out on the big lake probably a few dozen times, but this will be my first time actually staying at the lake.

Some friends and us have rented a place off Buzzells Rd on Island Cove. We have a 22' Four Winns Funship that we will be bringing up with us. Unfortunately I am not too familiar with this area of the lake and it has been a while since I have been on the lake. I am thinking we are going to put in at the Long Island ramp and motor up to the cottage. What areas are good for tubing and skiing in that area?

We have a bunch of little ones with us (4/4/3/3/15mo/8mo), but some of us Dads/Moms still like to get out on the tubes or skis for a ride.

Any info or tips you can share would be great, glad I found this place and see you guys/gals on the water!

Anthony
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I'm assuming you're staying either on Cove Island or in Buzzell Cove, which is on the edge of Moultonborough Bay. If that's accurate, you can tube in Moultonborough Bay almost any day--unlike the south, MB, especially on the side you'll be, is not too choppy, making for good tubing area (we often go to the section just outside BC). If it's one of the rare choppy days, head north from MB and you'll find a few areas to choose from. *Please don't pull anyone on the way to or from--not only can it be tricky to navigate, but the area going north from MB is often too thin for tubing.*

I will assume you have a chart and have studied well--the area north of LI can be tricky. Here there be dragons.

Enjoy your stay!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
elbie

Default Be Carful

Watch out for the rocks!
elbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Your ride from the ramp to Buzzell Cove may be hairy, so two thoughts to minimize stress after you take thinkxingu's advice to study the chart:

First, on your maiden voyage from the ramp to Buzzell Cove--put your two most experienced boaters in the boat, have the kids and any inexperienced parents wait for you at the house. That way nobody's panicky if you miss a bouy.

Second, the Moultonborough side of the bay is easier to navigate than the Tuftonboro side (I bailed out a neighbor on the Tuftonboro side just a couple of days ago). So you're best to hang a left just past Black Island and head for FL 12 on the chart, on the near side of the Twin Islands.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Dont "wing it"

Youve picked the "graduates course" in Winni navigation for your visit. STUDY your Bizer map & KNOW the buoy color system. Dont be afraid to just stop the boat if you are not precisely sure of EXACTLY where you are. If you "wing it" be sure to have budgeted time & expenses for a tow and a lower unit replacement.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It's really not that bad just need a good nav chart. If tubing or skiing find a large area of open hazard free water to play in and try to avoid obvious travel routes and pinch points. You have enough to be aware of when towing a skier or tube - worrying about hazards and other boaters is best to be avoided if possible. Get out early or in the evening, water is generally flat and traffic at a minimum.

Far as just going for a boat ride, again have a good chart - be aware of your surroundings and when in doubt better to stop and figure it out. That area of the lake is pretty unforgiving, stuff is marked for a reason and failure to navigate correctly will not end well for you or your boat.

Get out there and enjoy the lake, have fun and be safe. whether you have the right of way or not be prepared to yield to many have no clue and won't stop. Also that area in general tends to attract a lot of paddlers which can be hard to see - most stick close to shore but not always. Keep a good lookout some can be hard to see if they venture out into open areas.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
Juiced06GTO

Hey guys thanks for all the advice. We made it up here no problems and have been enjoying boating the past few days. I have been boating since I was about 13 and am 33 now, just had been out of it for the past 5 years, but I am pretty familiar w navigating and the Bizer chart is great.

I made the trip from the ramp up to the cove with a buddy and left the kids and fam at the camp, it worked out well. We avoided the graveyard on the way up and made it pretty easily.

A buddy and I went out the following morning early and did some exploring, shot through the graveyard, went through the hole in the wall, and ended up docking up over at the weirs at about 8am hoping to snag some breakfast but we couldn't find anywhere that was open! All in all we were out for about 3 hours getting our bearings so I feel fairly confidant taking the family out now.

One thing you guys aren't wrong about is the people who are completely oblivious to boating rules, etiquette, or just plain common sense! Yesterday we all went for a cruise up towards greens basin, fairly slow just putting along taking in the scenery, and there is a guy in what looks like a new Cobalt, towing along a guy w no vest on a tube zig zagging through the channel. The guy fell off in the middle of the channel and the only safe thing to do was stop the line of boats so they could take 15mins to retrieve him and get out of the way! These guys were in line for the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" award!!

Sorry for the rambling post but wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice on getting up here!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Glad things have gone well for you. The tubing in a channel issue has become really bad this year--it's not only rude but illegal (no way to be 150' from shore and/or other boats).

In any case, if you see us on Boatie Two, give a wave!

Old 08-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
8gv

I believe you were very close to breakfast.

If you find yourself looking for some early chow near the Weirs again, there is a small dock on the right hand side of the Weirs channel heading into Paugus Bay. You will find it just before the arched bridge. Tie up there and it's just a few steps up. The name of the place escapes me but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to post it.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The name of the place escapes me but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to post it.
The Weirs Diner.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I believe you were very close to breakfast.

If you find yourself looking for some early chow near the Weirs again, there is a small dock on the right hand side of the Weirs channel heading into Paugus Bay. You will find it just before the arched bridge. Tie up there and it's just a few steps up. The name of the place escapes me but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to post it.
Yes but......................If you were heading into Paugus Bay the Weirs Diner docks are on the left.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
Juiced06GTO

Well unfortunately I am back home in Mass now, but we had a great week on the lake. We went for a late afternoon cruise over to Weirs with the kiddos on Friday and let them run around the arcades and get ice cream. That place hasn't changed since I was a kid 25 years ago....

Thanks again for the pointers, hopefully we can make it up there again next year. My wife's uncle lives in Alton Bay and maintains a bunch of properties around there and plows the runway in the winter, so maybe we can pester him for a place to park the truck and trailer next year when we are at our place on Upper Suncook!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Yes but......................If you were heading into Paugus Bay the Weirs Diner docks are on the left.

I meant my other right.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Naswa

The Naswa serves a breakfast menu at the Blue Bistro. Plenty of good docking on the east side of the channel opposite Channel Marine. Nothing wrong with the Diner, just a docking issue.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Glad things have gone well for you. The tubing in a channel issue has become really bad this year--it's not only rude but illegal (no way to be 150' from shore and/or other boats).

In any case, if you see us on Boatie Two, give a wave!

I have seen numerous boats towing tubes with their kids on them through the Weirs Channel and under the Governor's Island bridge on busy days. Even at a slow speed it is foolish and places them and other boats in unnecessary danger.

When I see them I hold my hand over my mouth so I won't yell something like "moron" by accident!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote