Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
IslandRadio

Smile NEWSFLASH! Fairpoint claims DSL available to Rattlesnake Island (and Sleepers)!!!!

In my never ending quest to get Internet to Rattlesnake Island, I just checked with Fairpoint Communications, and they qualified my location on Rattlesnake Island for DSL - 3 megabit service !

At the Rattlesnake Island Landing, Fairpoint says they can deliver 7 megabits, so if, for some reason, Fairpoint can't deliver the service directly to the Island, I could always beam it over with a microwave link from the landing, assuming we can actually get it there.

*IF* all of this is true, it's really a big step forward. I ordered service to my location on the Island, but it can't be delivered until the Island is accessible (safely), so that will be after Ice Out.

Nice if it comes true
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
pontoonbarge (03-28-2013), rgilfert (03-29-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
JMR

Default Thanks..

for the update. Keep us informed. It would be nice is we knew how you did before island assn meeting
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Island Girl

Default Had it on Rattlesnake since last July

I was the first on the island...

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
I was the first on the island...
Ok - wow, so you have DSL at your place on the Island now? That's pretty good - I don't think anyone else knew about it I tried Fairpoint earlier in the season, and it wasn't available, so we did the microwave link back to the mainland again.

What speed were you able to get? They quoted me 3 megabits only, due to the distance from the DSL concentrator.

Has it been reasonably reliable?

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Island Girl

Default Most would be thrilled with 3 MB

We get 1.5, very reliable and we were very happy. We are very far from the CO in the middle of the broads side of the island. Friends on the north end get 3.

Snake Eyes has been running through DSL all winter.

FairPoint office has no clue what is and is not available. They send the wrong modems, tell you you don't need an installer, etc. You need to make sure you get the modem or modem/router, and you do definitely need the installer to come to the island. Most of the older island homes have corroded phone connections and these need to be replaced. The installer is terrific, knowledgeable and will do everything needed to get you going. The FairPoint office on the other hand, needs to be coaxed into giving you what you need.

For those spoiled by cable speeds, don't expect much. For those of use that had mobile broadband and dial up on the island... you will be very happy.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
pontoonbarge

Default Great News on DSL!

Just signed up! Thanks so much for the info! Their quoted price for DSL + land line phone is less than what I'm currently paying for my VZW broadband modem/month.
pontoonbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoonbarge View Post
Just signed up! Thanks so much for the info! Their quoted price for DSL + land line phone is less than what I'm currently paying for my VZW broadband modem/month.
What speed will you get, and how much is it? I only talked with the business folks, not the residential side of things.

On the business side, it is something like $59/month for 3 megabit service including a voice line. It's a promotional bundle that I think is good for 2 years.

It was less expensive to get the bundle than to have the DSL on its own. Again, all of this is business service. I'm very curious about the residential rates.

Last edited by IslandRadio; 03-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
jrc

I just had the DSL in my Hollis house upgraded to 3m from 800k.

The Fairpoint office initially promised higher speeds without an installer visit. But we couldn't get the 7m or 15m service I requested because of distance from the equipment.

They checked all the lines and finally they needed to replace the filter that goes on the normal phone. I don't know if the old filter was different, defective or just old.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Lake Guy

Default internet and rattlesnake island

Hello there,
This thread has really made me happy and given me hope!

I am on the broads side, about a 15 minute walk from the north tip. Can anyone update me on the current Fairpoint situation, speeds around my location, etc.

Are there any other ideas or options for internet such as using a dish?

Thanks,
Gene
Lake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Island Girl

Default Very reliable

Gene, you will get between 1500-3000k where you are. Service has been reliable. I don't have line is site for satellite, but people on the north part of the island do. DSL is much better for Internet IMHO... And much less latency. Come on over and you can see ours for yourself.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Guy View Post
Hello there,
This thread has really made me happy and given me hope!

I am on the broads side, about a 15 minute walk from the north tip. Can anyone update me on the current Fairpoint situation, speeds around my location, etc.

Are there any other ideas or options for internet such as using a dish?

Thanks,
Gene
If you need a dish I have a Hughesnet dish and modem that we used for a few years on the island. It worked well for us, but as Island Girl mentioned, you do get a slight bit of latency. Certainly better than not having internet. You are welcome to it if you have a use, the dish is still installed on a tree.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
IslandRadio

The Fairpoint DSL appears to be very reliable. Speeds are limited (right now) to 1.5 megabits on the Island, but you do get a real 1.5 megabits.

Faster? Verizon 4G (which works at the Island) may be faster, but you pay for data usage, which mounts up pretty quickly.

A link to the mainland, with either Fairpoint (7 megabits and higher is available, depending on location) or the appropriate cable provider for the area as the back end will be the fastest, but you will need to arrange with someone on the mainland who is line of sight to your location and who will let you create such a link.

For all but the most bandwidth intensive uses, Fairpoint is probably sufficient, and the price is good.

Regards, Steve
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
rgilfert

Default Finally Getting DSL on Monday (8/12)

Since buying our Rattlesnake Island place two years ago we have been relying on Verizon data plans on our iPad & iPhone for Internet access. Two GB plans have always been adequate for our more "staying in touch wih the outside world" requirements. This year however our granddaughter has been (on the sly) using our iPad as a hotspot and subsequently downloading all kinds of things (movies, etc) to her tablet.....this has resulted in two consecutive months of 8 GB of usage (and the hefty associated price tag). Wanting to accommodate our family's requirements...but not wanting the huge price tag...I finally contacted Fairpoint earlier this week and they will be on the island next Monday to activate the service. My concern was whether I would have to pay a monthly fee for the service during the 6 months that we cannot get to the island and was thrilled to learn that by paying a slightly higher monthly rate ($50 versus $44) and purchasing the modem/router ($59) outright......I can simply turn off the service during the off months at no charge. Hopefully this will be a good solution.....guess I'll know soon enough!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
hig

You don't have to pay in the off season.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
RyanDe

Does anyone have updated information on Internet on RS? I doubt our Internet addicted family could live with 1.5/3mbps.
RyanDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #16
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe View Post
Does anyone have updated information on Internet on RS? I doubt our Internet addicted family could live with 1.5/3mbps.
I would check here, as well RyanDe.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...archid=4997584

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
wifi

Sometimes, people have to settle for what they can get, unless they want to supply it and pay for all the particulars themselves.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

https://www.dialupsound.com
VitaBene is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #19
Orion

Default never ends

LOL. Thanks VB for the reminder! I remember my first 75kb acoustic-coupled dialup teletype connection (in 1973).

Yep, it's a never-ending cycle. The faster the bandwidth generally available, the more bandwidth is needed as content developers and web page developers cram more stuff to send. Just wait until everyone is trying to stream 4K UHD video streams (and no that's not 4kb)

Maybe some day those old copper cables going out to the main islands will be replaced with fiber.....well, we can hope.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote