Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
feb

Default Ski Conditions

Anyone care to share your opinions on how the weekend ski conditions will be? After 2 weeks of scholl vacation crowds and today's forecasted rain, I'm wondering if it's even worth driving up to the White Mountains. I haven't been in a few weeks so I'm unclear on the conditions and hate to take the ski area snow reports to seriously.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
Anyone care to share your opinions on how the weekend ski conditions will be? After 2 weeks of scholl vacation crowds and today's forecasted rain, I'm wondering if it's even worth driving up to the White Mountains. I haven't been in a few weeks so I'm unclear on the conditions and hate to take the ski area snow reports to seriously.
My personal opinion looking, at day time temps today and Satruday morning/weekdnd temps is that the trails are going to be bulletproof. A good old thaw-refreeze New England classic type of weekend.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Zeke

Try Wildcat, really good conditions, low traffic, and they might actually get a bit of snow in the night hrs. Only down side is a bit of a drive. We went Thurs., and it was great. Crowed too for Wilcat. We once had to wait 30-45 seconds to get on the lift. Not a crowed area.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Way Out There 2

I was at Cannon yesterday, no problem with snow cover there. Anywhere in the Whites should be fine.
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
kjbathe

Thumbs up Ski

Looking at the Gilford forecast, we're supposed to get about a third of an inch of rain tonight. Highs are only supposed to be in the low-mid 30's. While hilltopper might be right about some thawing and re-freezing, there's been ample snow on top of the base and I honestly believe any freezing will groom right out - especially with such a short rain and lows only in the 20s.

Bottom line: Ski. It's late Feb, I skied some of the best snow of the year on Wednesday, and we're at that point of the season where you're going to miss out on some great snow if you're chasing perfection.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We were at Cannon on Wed, best conditions all year after a lot of new snow. It was busy as Wed is NH resident day so my wife got a $30 ticket and mine was free, a weekday over 65 NH resident perk. As skiers at Cannon have many areas to spread out in, we never had to wait more that two chairs in the lift lines.

Today’s warm spell with light showers will do little to diminish the deep snow pack anywhere in the White Mountains.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Default Cannon

I live at Cannon every weekend in winter.Got to the mt at 6:00pm friday and it was raining hard and sideways.Was not too optomistic Sat morning but it turned out pretty good.Sure we had a melt and it refroze but what a gorgeous day.Big blue and the conditions actually got better during the day.The coverage is fine but the snow was pretty hard.After a 4-8 inch snowfall today the place will be right back in good shape midweek.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
colt17

Default Gunstock

We did a night ski last night at Gunstock and the conditions were GREAT!! It was cold but at 7pm we were still skiing soft packed power with some corduroy left on the sides of the trail.
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Lakewinn1

Post Ski Conditions

Has anyone recently visited Waterville Valley?
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Fish

Default Waterville Conditions

Ski Waterville every weekend. Conditions were great until rain last week. Saturday was an absolute sheet of ice. Sunnyside got better as the day progressed. The groomers did a fabulous job all night Saturday and conditions on Sunday were very good. Snow from the last storm should have freshed it up, expect great conditions until the next rain!:
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
colt17

Default Rain

looks like more rain this weekend and temps in the 40's not good for snow sports....
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Skied Cannon on Thursday and it absolutely fabulous! This was a ten in my book folks. Big blue, zero wind, and perfect conditions. The warm weather this weekend will only be on Saturday as the northern part of the state is only supposed to be in the 30's on Sunday, then right back into colder temps next week. March is the best month of the year to ski. Get out there.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
fatlazyless

I drove past Cannon-Mittersill on Route 93 over the weekend and was surprised to see the chairlift on long-closed Mittersill operating with skiers in the old chairs. This had to be a mirage, and I was probably just hallucinating....the old Mittersill chair....up & running.....closed since 1982 or something....no way?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
BlackCatIslander

Default Skiing Midweek

I skiied Waterville Tuesday and Loon Wednesday. Both days were chilly but sunny and the conditions were just great. I have been skiing midweek all winter and can not remember such consistently good snow conditions. With few midweek skiers, it is like having your own private mountain.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Way Out There 2

I took yesterday off to ski at Gunstock knowing we would get this crap today. Glad i did, great snow and weather with hardly anyone on the slopes.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
Lakegeezer

Default Cannon

Cannon was in very good shape on Thursday (March 5). Minimal ice, which for Cannon is unusual.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
fatlazyless

...looking on the brite side.....

For all the students at the Gilford Middle School, at least their extended February vacation has benefitted by some excellent Gunstock ski & snow conditions. From the perspective of 'hey - let's cut classes and head for the slopes.' the timing of Gilford's broken pipe, ten school day vacation was perfect timing.

...looking on the brite side of a not-so-good situation, it always helps to be an optimist and see the glass as half full....

....from the classrooms to the slopes for like ten extra days....truth is truly stranger than fiction....no one would have believed this event possible

oh well, as the saying goes, when life tosses you a lemon...make some lemonaide...and when this new school building has a serious broken pipe, water leak.....it's time to go from hitting the books...to hitting the slopes....correctimondo?

after all...snow is a form of frozen water...how very elementary!

...let's see...there's the health insurance...pensions....college training...post graduate training...school administers....school board....students....parents...and the whole school gets shut down for like two weeks for one fatigued 1" water pipe in a four-year old building....who'd-a-thunk it possible?

As someone who has some experience with the different strengths of k-l-m copper water tubing, and making soldiered connections it makes me wonder what went wrong and turned this into such a big water leak? Last thing I always do before leaving home is to make sure to pull the electric plug on the water pump.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #18
BlackCatIslander

Default How was the skiing on Sunday?

I am planning on skiing Monday and Tuesday and was wondering how much damage the warming temps caused.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Default Cannon

We had quite a melt friday/Saturday.I have almost lost all my snow at the Mittersill ski house.The mountain cover remains good but conditions are now in "spring" mode.Frozen in the morning and softening during the day.this weekend was not good overall.
FLL,you are experiencing a mirage.That lift does not even have chairs on it.You might have been looking at the newer Tuckerbrook learning area that has a short lift on the eastern flank of Mittersill.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
KTO

I was at Cannon on Saturday and the snow was great (especially for Cannon). It seemed mostly man-made at this point, and there was grass showing in areas, so if you're going to ski, GO NOW! You're really running out of time. I figure to get one more ski in this season...It was a great season, though!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Not sure which Cannon you were at but this past weekend still had no bare spots showing except on a few trails that had no snowmaking.Saturday morning was probably my best morning skiing this year.What a spectacular day.March is sooo great on the mountain!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Today, April 1, is dollar-day at Waterville Valley. Ski the mountain for just a buck, no fool'n! www.waterville.com
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
JMR

Default This weekend

Sunday River has it's Bust n' Burn Parrothead weekend with bands playing outside most of Saturday and Sunday at White Cap lodge. Pond skimming, etc.

130 trails open last weekend with good coverage!
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
BlackCatIslander

Default Too Many Listened to FLL

WV was packed today. Where were all the truant officers? There had to be a lot of empty seats in class rooms today. Although the sun wasn't out that much, the conditions were pretty good spring skiing.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #25
Way Out There 2

Default Waterville

Packed is right. It always amazes me to see so many people arriving as we're leaving after several hours and first tracks. I can't imagine dealing with the mashed popatoes, crowds and lift lines. Whatever, to each his own...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
jmen24

Default Its funny you say that

Back in the high school days, a group of 20-25 of us would trek to WV every April 1st and back then it was never busy, but it was an entire group of kids that should have been in school. Ah the days, and those are the only days that I would still like to have, you can keep the rest.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote