Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
kawishiwi

Default Weekend Warrior Schedules?

Hi all, Ive just purchased a fishing boat and rented a slip on the lake. I wanted to get an idea of what times on the weekends do things get "busy". I will have a 17ft aluminum with a 115 hp motor. As primarily being fishers we will be very morning and evening oriented. I wanted to get an idea of when we can be out without being swamped...
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
dickiej

Get out there early, early! By mid morning, it looks like the boating scene from Caddyshack. Call in sick mid week......it will give you a whole new perspective on Winni.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
MRD

Default Fishing Times are all good

I have a 16ft Lund with a 25 hp motor. We use it to fish the lake in most weather conditions. We have taken it out at the busiest of times during the summer with no problem. Just turn your bow into the wake waves and enjoy the ride. But I would agree for fishing the weekdays during the summer are the best. Try salmon fishing in April and May on any day of the week and you will have large areas of the lake to yourself.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRD For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (12-30-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
kawishiwi

Default Evenings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Get out there early, early! By mid morning, it looks like the boating scene from Caddyshack. Call in sick mid week......it will give you a whole new perspective on Winni.
About when do the high speed big boats go to bed, if ever, at night?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
kawishiwi

Default Once bitten, twice shy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
I have a 16ft Lund with a 25 hp motor. We use it to fish the lake in most weather conditions. We have taken it out at the busiest of times during the summer with no problem. Just turn your bow into the wake waves and enjoy the ride. But I would agree for fishing the weekdays during the summer are the best. Try salmon fishing in April and May on any day of the week and you will have large areas of the lake to yourself.
I thought the same size rig would work except 10 years ago or so my son and I nearly got gunwale whipped by a huge wake from slow moving boat way up in Moultonboro arm in the same sized rig you have. You are both braver and a better boater than I! I had that rig out in Casco bay ME, near shore, and felt safer there! Very much looking forward to the Salmon fishing in May. When do weekends become sporty? May, June, July...?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default 11 a.m.

Over the many years spent on the lake it seems that the weekend traffic gets going in earnest after 11 am. If you fish earlier in the morning and return by 11 you should be okay. We used to ski on the weekends right after breakfast (8 am) so we were back at the dock before it got too crazy.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (12-30-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I concur the boat traffic in peak season runs crazy between 10-4 on the weekends. That also depends on where you are as to how crazy it gets too.

I fish almost every morning I can through out the year in a 14 foot side console and I don't let much keep me off the lake unless the NW gale is blowing 3 foot chop, can't fish in that stuff. April through June is the best time and even more so since most of the folks out on the lake are fishing like you are.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Geography

For whatever reasons, many posters forget to specify their geographic area of operation. That information, or lack of it, strongly influences the value of the responses you get. There can be huge differences in traffic and busy times depending on where you are, not just the usual "weekdays are quieter" type answers. The north end of Meredith Bay is usually quiet because a large part of the bay is a NWZ. But that may not be convenient or useful information if you're launching in Alton Bay or Green's Basin. Are you fishing deep or shallow, shady spots near shore? More detail will get you more useful answers.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

That's a good point...

I only fish for salmon, lake trout and rainbows so any advice I'd give would be given with that in mind.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
kawishiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
For whatever reasons, many posters forget to specify their geographic area of operation. That information, or lack of it, strongly influences the value of the responses you get. There can be huge differences in traffic and busy times depending on where you are, not just the usual "weekdays are quieter" type answers. The north end of Meredith Bay is usually quiet because a large part of the bay is a NWZ. But that may not be convenient or useful information if you're launching in Alton Bay or Green's Basin. Are you fishing deep or shallow, shady spots near shore? More detail will get you more useful answers.
Thanks Descant,
Our slip is at Quayside, Long Island bridge, and we will be smallmouth first, salmon/trout second. From the maps the backside area of Long Island looks like a ton of smallmouth territory and protected well from wind. Many spots look protected from wakes due to all of the rocks too I am hoping to be able to try the salmon troll on the other side of Lo g Island and/or fish smallies around forty islands e.t.c. and be able to make it back to the barn safely. We will be starting pre-dawn looking to get 4 to 5 hours in. Also will try to get in evening hours too. Long Island bridge area looks like it has the most options, but how is it when the wind is dead westerly?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
kawishiwi

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
dickiej,
The Caddyshack reference really got the point across! First time I saw Winni was a summer saturday afternoon at Weirs. The cross chop was jaw dropping. More like "the blender of the great spirit"
Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Just dont scratch my anchor.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Also will try to get in evening hours too. Long Island bridge area looks like it has the most options, but how is it when the wind is dead westerly?
Early morning and just before sunset, you'll be sharing the bay that is between the Long Island bridge and the six-pack with skiers and wakeboarders, June, July and August.
kawishiwi (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
jrc

During the summer I kayak almost every weekend in a very busy part of the lake, near Glendale. If I get back before 10am, I never see a big boat. By 11am they are all out and about, including mine.

Don't have as much advice on evening traffic. Most of the boats are back in our marina by dusk unless they are at a restaurant.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
kawishiwi

Default 6 pak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
Early morning and just before sunset, you'll be sharing the bay that is between the Long Island bridge and the six-pack with skiers and wakeboarders, June, July and August.
What is this "six pack" you speak of?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #16
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
What is this "six pack" you speak of?
"A quick boat ride through the Six Pack off East Point, Long Island on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. Six markers show the way, 3 black on the left and 3 red on the right."

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (12-30-2014), WakeboardMom (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

One of the black markers are lit IIRC
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
MikeF-NH

dont think your boat will have a problem getting from LI to Forty Islands on most mornings. I'm less concerned about traffic and keep a closer eye on wind. Anything over 15 mph blowing out of Center Harbor or up from the Broads can make that trip challenging in a smallish tin boat. Of course you have the option to tuck in behind Bear Island for some protection (a little longer ride but more protected). 90% of the time I have no reservations about taking my 16 footer from WAM to to Long Island even on weekends. It can get bumpy due to wakes but the Broads spreads things out a bit....nothing like some of the action you see closer to Weirs. Just keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to ease off the throttle if a big wake is heading your way. Always we willing to change your destination if things look dicey. I always have a plan B closer to where I launch if I don't like what I see and never feel badly about changing course. Remember also that you have to get back so if conditions deteriorate....pack it in before its too late.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
kawishiwi

Default A hard wind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
dont think your boat will have a problem getting from LI to Forty Islands on most mornings. I'm less concerned about traffic and keep a closer eye on wind. Anything over 15 mph blowing out of Center Harbor or up from the Broads can make that trip challenging in a smallish tin boat. Of course you have the option to tuck in behind Bear Island for some protection (a little longer ride but more protected). 90% of the time I have no reservations about taking my 16 footer from WAM to to Long Island even on weekends. It can get bumpy due to wakes but the Broads spreads things out a bit....nothing like some of the action you see closer to Weirs. Just keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to ease off the throttle if a big wake is heading your way. Always we willing to change your destination if things look dicey. I always have a plan B closer to where I launch if I don't like what I see and never feel badly about changing course. Remember also that you have to get back so if conditions deteriorate....pack it in before its too late.
Thanks Mike,
I guess i've obsessed on big boat wakes instead of the long run of wind driven waves. So you find 15 mph wind right up or down the lake length is the cutoff for safe tin boating? Any recommendations for accurate and reliable condition forecasts for Winni? I find many regular weather forecasts dont do justice to the real outdoor experience. Often "light and variable", in town, is fierce and unrelenting on a mountain or a body of water...
Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
kawishiwi

Question Wam?

WAM? Sorry, I am a rookie, what's a WAM?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default West Alton Marina

Quote:
WAM? Sorry, I am a rookie, what's a WAM?
WAM is an acronym for West Alton Marina, a large marina located in Small's Cove in West Alton. It is opposite Sleeper's Island. There is a fairly large sand bar located just outside the channel leading out of the Marina.

Welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy the lake. Tight lines and lots of smiles.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Reliable wx forecast

Listen to the Weather channels on your VHF. A portable works well in most instances and you can leave it on (at home too) set to channel 16 to listen to chatter around the lake regarding thunderstorms , and other boating activity. There are other threads about using VHF, especially for safety.

Happy New Year.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote