Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
map

Default Inflatable with a trolling motor

New to the area and know nothing about where I could launch this if I were to purchase it. Doesn't have to be the big lake. Could be any lake.

I am not a boater obviously. But being I am going stir crazy and want to get out on the water was thinking of just getting one so I could move along the shore and coves and so forth.

Moving here my plan was to just get on the mail boats and the Mount occasionally, and use my floaty thing in the summer on a lake somewhere when it is warmer, but that is not going to happen this year with everything closed so I thought this might be a good alternative.

Any suggestions?
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
8gv

The inflatable boat I have is only 7'6" It cost me $360 when I bought it from Amazon but I was told it can be had for less at Ocean State Job Lot when it is in stock.

The primary purpose of this boat is to transport me to my mooring, a distance of about 500'. It is propelled by a 1979 Min Kota 15# thrust trolling motor powered by a riding lawn mower battery from Walmart. A few times I used my Yamaha 2.5 hp outboard on it to travel a couple of miles to pick up my larger boat at the marina and also to go fishing. It is a slow, bouncy and sometimes wet ride.

I suggest a larger, deep cycle battery and a more powerful motor that can be found at Walmart. You will also need to have a charger, paddle, whistle, pfd and a throwable cushion. The state says this is a boat and therefore has to meet their boat rules including getting it registered and applying bow numbers. I have plastic panels from Amazon for my bow numbers. They break easily. You can also paint the numbers on the boat. If you use a gas motor add a fire extinguisher to the list.

Now for the good news...
It can be quite relaxing to putter around quietly close to shore.
You can put this rig in the back seat of a car.
It won't tip over.
It's so small you can store it practically anywhere.

Here is a link to what Amazon has now:

Bestway Hydro Force 91 Inch Caspian Pro Inflatable Boat Set with Oars and Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JT9X504..._EVvREb5PB7FVS

The boat they show on the front page has an inflatable floor. Mine has a wood slat floor. In the pictures you will see a slat floor like mine. Which they send you I do not know.

Good luck!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
map (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The inflatable boat I have is only 7'6" It cost me $360 when I bought it from Amazon but I was told it can be had for less at Ocean State Job Lot when it is in stock.

The primary purpose of this boat is to transport me to my mooring, a distance of about 500'. It is propelled by a 1979 Min Kota 15# thrust trolling motor powered by a riding lawn mower battery from Walmart. A few times I used my Yamaha 2.5 hp outboard on it to travel a couple of miles to pick up my larger boat at the marina and also to go fishing. It is a slow, bouncy and sometimes wet ride.

I suggest a larger, deep cycle battery and a more powerful motor that can be found at Walmart. You will also need to have a charger, paddle, whistle, pfd and a throwable cushion. The state says this is a boat and therefore has to meet their boat rules including getting it registered and applying bow numbers. I have plastic panels from Amazon for my bow numbers. They break easily. You can also paint the numbers on the boat. If you use a gas motor add a fire extinguisher to the list.

Now for the good news...
It can be quite relaxing to putter around quietly close to shore.
You can put this rig in the back seat of a car.
It won't tip over.
It's so small you can store it practically anywhere.

Here is a link to what Amazon has now:

Bestway Hydro Force 91 Inch Caspian Pro Inflatable Boat Set with Oars and Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JT9X504..._EVvREb5PB7FVS

The boat they show on the front page has an inflatable floor. Mine has a wood slat floor. In the pictures you will see a slat floor like mine. Which they send you I do not know.

Good luck!
Thanks. Wow. A lot more to this I guess. It would be just me and my husband in it.

I was thinking more like something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Excursi...g-goods&sr=1-3

Last edited by map; 05-02-2020 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
8gv

Inflatable boats like the one pictured in the link, have a round, tube like stern and require a purpose built motor mount for using a motor.

These exist.

Inflatable boats with an actual transom are more robust and may provide better long term value.

Enjoy your boating an beware of the "two foot itch".
map (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
map

Where is a good spot to launch it?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
8gv

Here is a link to a map with all the public access to water bodies in the state:

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/map...ish/index.html

Here is a link to all the waterbodies that have had depth surveys done:

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry.html

Between these resources and Google Maps you can select the type of place you want to enjoy.

Beware of sharp sticks!
map (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
garysanfran

Default Avon...

I've had a 9"9" Avon roll-up with a 4 hp Johnson for years. I used it a lot as a dinghy on my sailboat in San Francisco Bay. My girlfriend and I would take it to local restaurants while anchored-out. It was great for exploring the marinas and boat gawking.

Make sure you have all the safety equipment including oars. Engines fail and those things blow fast in a strong wind.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
map (05-04-2020)