Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Laconia State School

Interesting article on the development of the old state school

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...091817be4.html

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Health c are?

Includes a 100,000 square foot health care facility? I wonder what sort of health care. Lakes Region General Hospital and the Belknap County Nursing Home are not far away.
In my neck of the woods, developers in mixed use zoning always want to build the residential part, putting pressure on school costs and then leave town before building the commercial part that is supposed to be a tax offset to residential.
Nevertheless, it will probably be a good thing to get this beautiful site active again.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Why must this site be developed? I prefer it to become part of the state park system.

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Why must this site be developed? I prefer it to become part of the state park system.

I think a combination on state park residential and maybe some retail or commercial. This would serve a few issues including keeping a good portion of green space plus bring in tax dollars

Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:

Because Laconia needs more money to waste. Can't collect taxes on a state park.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Mr. V

Are the buildings still viable?

I've long felt it would be a good idea to repurpose closed schools by turning them into places for the homeless to live.

The homeless are life's losers, and as such cannot afford to be too picky; they can put their cots / sleeping bags in a common area and share bathrooms.

We have a heckuva homeless problem in Portland, Oregon: that's the downside of being the millenials' idea of "The Promised Land," I suppose.

Maybe you guys don't have similar issues with the homeless, with beggars: if not, consider yourselves very, very fortunate.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
Descant

State Parks bring in business activity indirectly instead of directly. They improve property values in the general area.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
dt5150

Quote:

yeah, so do i. we live pretty much right behind it, adjacent to ahern state park. we've discussed this quite a bit, and we're considering moving, depending on what they do with it.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Many years away from a shovel in the ground building something on this property. The environmental groups have been silent during all these discussions, waiting to hear wait they say once a plan is identified. One major concern that killed a project next to this land back in the 80’ was water runoff. Once you start to build these areas up along the lake, driveways, septic, rain water all become serious issues that can’t be easily solved to the satisfaction of the lake lovers and tree huggers. Ties the developers up in court for years to come. ****, we can’t even fertilize our lawn or cut down a tree.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
gravy boat

Quote:
Many years away from a shovel in the ground building something on this property. The environmental groups have been silent during all these discussions, waiting to hear wait they say once a plan is identified. One major concern that killed a project next to this land back in the 80’ was water runoff. Once you start to build these areas up along the lake, driveways, septic, rain water all become serious issues that can’t be easily solved to the satisfaction of the lake lovers and tree huggers. Ties the developers up in court for years to come. ****, we can’t even fertilize our lawn or cut down a tree.

Forgive me - just want to clarify, not accuse - your well-fertilized lawn and landscaping is more important than the lake's health? And the impacts to not only your own property health, but also your neighboors'?

How long have you owned a home on the lake?
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ

Wow!! Nice jump to conclusions. If you took the time to read previous posts you would see I prefer this wonderful piece of property to be left as is and a piece of it be deeded to the State Park. To answer your question, the family has owned the same piece of property since 1966!!! You?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
gravy boat

Current property since mid 70s.

Prior property from 50s to 70s.

Before that - we were an original family at Lake Shore Park...pitching tents before there were any buildings.

But again- i didnt mean to accuse. Was a question.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
gravy boat

Default Correction

My mother was born early 30s and spent summers at LSP.. and her mother did, as well.

My uncle - who drops in on this forum from time to time - also spent summers at LSP as a child.

Current property owned since early 70s. LSP camp long before.

My original comment was in response to “*** we cant even fertilize our lawn..” i thought you were complaining about not being able to fertilize your lawn due to the negative impact to the lake. I obviously misunderstood.

Last edited by gravy boat; 12-07-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

My comment about the grass was a bit sarcastic. Have yet to understand the need to develop this piece of property. Many other open parcels around that can do what the city thinks it needs to do. But, as all the articles say, the city is unclear or in other words have no clue what needs to be done. Believe it is time to start making our voices heard

Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
My comment about the grass was a bit sarcastic. Have yet to understand the need to develop this piece of property. Many other open parcels around that can do what the city thinks it needs to do. But, as all the articles say, the city is unclear or in other words have no clue what needs to be done. Believe it is time to start making our voices heard

I agree the city does not have a clear plan but you cannot just leave the facility idle. The existing building will continue to deteriorate unless maintained as with the grounds which all cost money with no revenue from the location coming in and it will continue to be a drain on the economy
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #16
WinnisquamZ

If city and state revenue is the end game why would you not break off the waterfront lots and other parcels and sell to the high bidder. Each waterfront lot is worth a min of 600k each. Plus all future taxes associated with each property.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #17
fatlazyless

All the Lake Winnisquam waterfront land that used to be part of the Laconia State School for Feeble-minded Children property, 1903-1991 http://www.abandonedplaces.wikia.com...a_State_School, with 34-photographs, stretching from Lake Winnisquam to Lake Opechee became 124-acre Ahern State Park in 1994.

The old state school buildings with all its' issues including asbestos, underground oil tanks, identified and lost unknown graves of deceased school children/adults/student-inmates and attached surrounding land could maybe get SOLD by the State of NH to the City of Laconia and this is how many acres of land ...... do not know? The state has a very nice piece of land they want to sell to the city ........ oh buoy ....... three cheers for the state ...... hut-hut-hut!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahern_State_Park ....... Everyone reading this is required to click on the link to the LaDaSun article from 2016 on Ahern State Park, by Gordon DuBois, and read through it slowly, three times! There will be a 20-question pop quiz tomorrow at 8-am.

"I wonder why so few visit this park. ..... Nothing exists like it in the lakes region" ...... 128-acres ..... 3500' Winnisquam shoreline ..... open land .... little used ... a very small natural sandy beach ...... seems the 3500' shoreline is probably all trees and big rocks.....trails for hiking ..... a state park? .... https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/s...ern-state-park with trails map from 2013 .... and TripAdvisor has about 23 different reviews from park visitors and 13-photos ...... "This is the real New Hampshire, an undeveloped beach. It was always called the secret beach because the tourists don't know about it." ........ park user/entry fee-no charge ..... apparently, this a state park that is free to use, courtesy the NH State Parks system ..... is this correct ...... really ..... my type of a price ..... el zero ..... and I've never been there ..... do you get what you pay for ..... or do local users/volunteers keep it clean and pristine?

Potentially, a mega multi million dollar Laconia waterfront area, all designed out with roads, house lots, high quality residential construction, residents, property taxes, a real happening area ...... but thankfully is much much better as a free-to-use state park that sees little use ...... pays no local property tax ..... has no incoming revenue ..... and just hobbles along with a worn down entry road and no on-site park employee(s) ...... hubba-hubba ..... it's just there! ....... hmmmmm ......... live free or die ...... gotta love it!

Ahern was probably William J. Ahern, a Democrat from Concord, NH, born in 1855 and he maybe had a political connection with the New Hampshire School for Feeble-minded Children....... don't know yet?

Bartlett Beach, a City of Laconia beach with 600 feet of shoreline on 3.7 acres is nearby, but on the south side of the Winnipesaukee River, and is not part of the Laconia State School property. It is maybe one mile(?) to the south from Ahern State Park, along the Winnisquam shoreline.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-12-2018 at 08:37 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #18
WinnisquamZ

Thank you for that correction. Then I repeat myself and and ask that we grow the Ahern State Park by 100 acres. Add trails and even weekend camping sites. Then deed off a few of those residential view tax lots for city revenue they sorely seek.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #19
joey2665

Quote:
Thank you for that correction. Then I repeat myself and and ask that we grow the Ahern State Park by 100 acres. Add trails and even weekend camping sites. Then deed off a few of those residential view tax lots for city revenue they sorely seek.

I think the property is large enough that both interests can be sufficiently satisfied. By all means increase the size of the park and add amenities which would be a huge draw to the area in addition to selling off locations for building. Increase tax income and increase green space. Everyone wins.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #20
WinnisquamZ

A reader of the Laconia Daily Sun wrote a terrific summary of the recent history of this parcel in Tuesday paper. As I wrote much earlier, we are many years away before anything is made of this property. Good or bad

Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #21
joey2665

Quote:
A reader of the Laconia Daily Sun wrote a terrific summary of the recent history of this parcel in Tuesday paper. As I wrote much earlier, we are many years away before anything is made of this property. Good or bad

Could you post a link?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #22
WinnisquamZ

Wish I could help. It was a letter from a reader in Tuesday’s paper. Any technical savvy people out there?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #23
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Could you post a link?

I think this should work. This property is currently an incredible drain on funds. They really need to move much quicker on a plan.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/opin...7a1563daa.html

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #24
WinnisquamZ

Thank you

Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #25
fatlazyless

While the 200-acre former Laconia State School for Feeble-Minded Children overlooks two lakes, Lake Winnisquam (third largest NH lake), and Lake Opechee, it has no access to either lake.

The 200-acre State School property abuts Ahern State Park which used to be part on the State School property from 1903-1994. Ahern State Park has 130-acres of big trees, big rocks, and poorly maintained dirt/gravel roads, a number of walking trails, and 3700' of totally beautiful Lake Winnisquam undeveloped, natural shoreline.

3700' of shoreline could get developed into 37 different waterfront lots with 100' each, maybe selling for one million dollars each, with a quality residential home and municipal water/sewer utilities ...... so, that's 37-million gross plus all the other 300-acres left over ...... 330-300=30-acres.

So, why doesn't the State of NH do the right thing and sell the 130-acre Ahern State Park to the City of Laconia for the sum of one dollar? What's
missing from the 200-acre State School property is access to either very nearby lake ...... boo-hoo-hoo-hoo ...... trick or treat ..... looks like Laconia got tricked on this deal ...... and probably forever! Sometimes, you get the gold mine, and sometimes you just get the shaft ....... hellooooo Laconia.

Besides, the other Lake Winnisquam residents and boaters are probably very pleased to be blessed with this undeveloped, natural wooded 3700' shoreline. It's a big plus for the lake .....good for boaters, paddlers, fishermen/woman .... an undisturbed stretch of waterfront ..... nothing even comes close to it over on nearby Lake Winnipesaukee which is basically all built out.

So, the State of NH owns both properties, Ahern State Park-130 acres, and the former Laconia State School-200 acres ...... and not much is happening, or will be happening ...... nothing, nothing, nothing, and more nothing. In this case, nothing may be the best result here ...... nothing is not so bad ...... 3700' of undisturbed, natural shoreline is probably a great shoreline for fishing small mouth bass with no shoreline neighbors.

Ahern State Park is where you can car roof top a kayak or canoe, and paddle it along, close to the 3700' wooded and undeveloped shoreline, with no waterfront homes. Entry into Ahern is no charge, so that's one great value, and worth a look ..... a fishing license cost $45/yr ..... and fishing at Ahern makes it worth the price.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Rob M (12-12-2018), WinnisquamZ (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While the 200-acre former Laconia State School for Feeble-Minded Children overlooks two lakes, Lake Winnisquam (third largest NH lake), and Lake Opechee, it has no access to either lake.

The 200-acre State School property abuts Ahern State Park which used to be part on the State School property from 1903-1994. Ahern State Park has 130-acres of big trees, big rocks, and poorly maintained dirt/gravel roads, a number of walking trails, and 3700' of totally beautiful Lake Winnisquam undeveloped, natural shoreline.

3700' of shoreline could get developed into 37 different waterfront lots with 100' each, maybe selling for one million dollars each, with a quality residential home and municipal water/sewer utilities ...... so, that's 37-million gross plus all the other 300-acres left over ...... 330-300=30-acres.

So, why doesn't the State of NH do the right thing and sell the 130-acre Ahern State Park to the City of Laconia for the sum of one dollar? What's
missing from the 200-acre State School property is access to either very nearby lake ...... boo-hoo-hoo-hoo ...... trick or treat ..... looks like Laconia got tricked on this deal ...... and probably forever!

So, the State of NH owns both properties, Ahern State Park-130 acres, and the former Laconia State School-200 acres ...... and not much is happening, or will be happening ...... nothing, nothing, nothing, and more nothing. In this case, nothing may be the best result here ...... nothing is not so bad ...... 3700' of undisturbed, natural shoreline is probably a great shoreline for fishing small mouth bass with no shoreline neighbors.

Ahern State Park is where you can car roof top a kayak or canoe, and paddle it along, close to the 3700' wooded and undeveloped shoreline, with no waterfront homes. Entry into Ahern is no charge, so that's one great value, and worth a look ..... a fishing license cost $45/yr ..... and fishing at Ahern makes it worth the price.
Doing nothing is a terrible idea. Read the article, look at the current cost to maintain the facility with NO income coming in from the property. It is and will continue to be a financial drain if "NOTHING" is done
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #27
fatlazyless

"Sometimes, you get the gold mine, and sometimes you just get the shaft ...... hellooooo Laconia."

I must have added this line too late for your above quote, so here it is, again.

Which brings to mind this question ..... why-o-why-why-why ...... after looking closely at a local map ..... why is Governor's Island located in Gilford and not in Laconia ...... why-why-why? Wonder if it had anything to do with the state government in Concord?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"Sometimes, you get the gold mine, and sometimes you just get the shaft ...... hellooooo Laconia."

I must have added this line too late for your above quote, so here it is, again.

Which brings to mind this question ..... why-o-why-why-why ...... after looking closely at a local map ..... why is Governor's Island located in Gilford and not in Laconia ...... why-why-why? Wonder if it had anything to do with the state government in Concord?
You are such a wealth of unhelpful information. Or maybe useless is a better word.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2018), Reilly (12-15-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #29
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You are such a wealth of unhelpful information. Or maybe useless is a better word.
Yet you keep reading his comments.
It's like the old joke: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!"
Old 12-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #30
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yet you keep reading his comments.
It's like the old joke: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!"
I know, I should know better. If you've read one of his posts you've read them all. It's basically the same crap over and over and over again in every one of his posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-15-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #31
joey2665

Quote:
I know, I should know better. If you've read one of his posts you've read them all. It's basically the same crap over and over and over again in every one of his posts.

Exactly. Just babbling nonsense

Top-Water (12-15-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #32
Biggd

Quote:
Exactly. Just babbling nonsense

Just racking up the posts so he can be #1 at something. I guess we can call him the FLLibuster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #33
fatlazyless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakes_Region_Facility

To get somewhat of a glimpse on what the 200-acre former State School property is, click on "Lakes Region Facility" under references to see a small photograph with all the old red brick buildings.

The lake at the top of the photo is Lake Opechee and the 200-acre former state school-prison property has no access to it, and not to Lake Winnisquam either.

And, here's a 1:54 youtube showing Ahern State Park featuring a mountain biker shot on Dec 7, 2015....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNBN3Vl5f6k .... in this video, Ahern State Park looks fantastic, and three cheers for the NH legislature moving to split it off from the abutting state school-prison property back around 1994 named Governor's State Park and renamed Ahern State Park in 1998 ..... hip hip hurray ...... must have been a Fred Toll legislative local power maneuver ....... https://obituaries.bowdoin.edu/frede...homas-toll-66/ ......... way-to-go FRED!

December 3; lost Grandma's ring at Ahern State Park; https://nh.craigslist.org/laf/d/lost...9.html?lang=vi

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-12-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #34
WinnisquamZ

Enjoyed the video post. Just builds upon what I believe should be done. Let’s add 100 more acres to the state park. Enhance the trails and add overnight camping. Make it a destination for all to enjoy. Would also like to see a few state operated boat docks added to the park

Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #35
dt5150

in addition to the docks, they should put another boat launch down there. there's plenty of room. the one they put in on the river sucks.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #36
WinnisquamZ

That is a great idea! State operated boat launch and parking is one more revenue stream

Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #37
Biggd

Quote:
That is a great idea! State operated boat launch and parking is one more revenue stream

The fee would probably just about cover the pay for a person to stand there all day and collect it. Although I like the idea it's not a big money make.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #38
WinnisquamZ

Parking and launch should work off a yearly sticker fee as a fishing and boat license. One cost for residents and another for others.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #39
fatlazyless

You need to visit the Fish & Game boat launch on Water St, Laconia, behind the Boulia Gorrell Lumber. It accesses Lake Winnisquam, is totally free to use, built with fishing license fees, has two ramps, a large dock, parking for cars and trailers.

It is sandwiched between the NH DES former wastewater treatment plant, a defunct failed 1980-vintage wastewater lake polluter, and the Boulia Gorrell Lumber property. The State of NH built a super-duper boat launch on what was a basically unused or under used lot of land via the eminent domain process.

It is like the greatest state boat launch ever built in the US ..... building a very usable boat launch ...... where there was nothing but a vacant unused lot with some old junkie boards and aging weathered lumber .... out in the sun and rain .... but not much else ..... just some unwanted, old stuff .... way in the back of the lumber business .... and the pollut'n water plant that would turn Lake Winnisquam an ugly shade of green ..... ugh .... green!

It is there ..... free to use ..... open and doable ...... you could go trailer your boat ...... and launch it today ...... and park your car and trailer right there, very nearby.

And, Lake Winnisquam, NH 3rd biggest lake with 4214-acres, has no speed limit ..... 107-mph, gps confirmed, is supposedly legal on Winnisquam ..... you can launch the 27' twin hull cat w/ twin Merc-300's ....... get out there and go for it ....... today!

This state boat ramp on the Winnipesaukee River is something like two miles, along the Winnisquam shoreline, south of Ahern State Park.

So, why doesn't the State of NH tear down the remaining water treatment ruins that are close to the boat launch? Probably for the same reason they don't fix the pot holes in the road at Ahern State Park.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #40
Descant

Default Sunapee II ?

So the state/city doesn't want to bear the expense of re-habbing moldy buildings full of asbestos. I understand. It may be time to forget recycling the buildings and find a tenant who will take care of all that. With three hundred acres and 3700 feet of shoreline, we should give it all to the Parks Division and let them lease it to a major hotel. We get the old buildings removed, a destination GRAND hotel and conference center and think of the money and jobs the casino will bring in for the area and for the state.
The Parks Division is self funding; no tax dollars for operations. We can do this because of Sunapee, Cannon/Flume and Hampton Beach which support a huge part of the parks operating budget and keep other parks cheap or free. The above facilities give us a guide and experience that we should be able to monetize without losing control. Sunapee is a great example.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (12-13-2018), WinnisquamZ (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #41
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
So the state/city doesn't want to bear the expense of re-habbing moldy buildings full of asbestos. I understand. It may be time to forget recycling the buildings and find a tenant who will take care of all that. With three hundred acres and 3700 feet of shoreline, we should give it all to the Parks Division and let them lease it to a major hotel. We get the old buildings removed, a destination GRAND hotel and conference center and think of the money and jobs the casino will bring in for the area and for the state.
The Parks Division is self funding; no tax dollars for operations. We can do this because of Sunapee, Cannon/Flume and Hampton Beach which support a huge part of the parks operating budget and keep other parks cheap or free. The above facilities give us a guide and experience that we should be able to monetize without losing control. Sunapee is a great example.
Not a bad start and the State of NH would also be collecting the 9% occupancy tax, but how would the city of Laconia DIRECTLY benefit? If it goes to the Parks Division I assume there complex would not pay property tax.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #42
fatlazyless

If the State of NH sells any part of the 200-acre former state school/prison property, the City will automatically start collecting property taxes from the new owner, so why should Laconia get involved in buying this property with all its problems including old ruined and dilapidated brick buildings with asbestos, lead paint, underground oil tanks, and hidden underground burial of human remains? Tear them down!

Best plan for Laconia is to do nothing and wait it out ..... what its been doing since 1903 .... and let it continue to be the State's problem. The State made the mess so the State can fix it.

If there was a viable economic re-make or remodel, it already would have happened because the state school closed way back in 1991, and the prison with 400-prisoners closed in 2009. Best plan for the State could well be to tear down all the old buildings, and plant a field of green grass, then sell it to new owners.
WinnisquamZ (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #43
Biggd

There hasn't been enough studies, need about 100 more.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #44
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
There hasn't been enough studies, need about 100 more.
YES! That is my point exactly!! Things are studied to death. I don't live in Laconia but I think there are entirely too many pieces of property owned by towns and state and federal government. How much do they need to acquire? It only makes the property taxes go up for those that are paying. I know half of you won't agree with me because you want government to own everything but that's my opinion.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #45
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
YES! That is my point exactly!! Things are studied to death. I don't live in Laconia but I think there are entirely too many pieces of property owned by towns and state and federal government. How much do they need to acquire? It only makes the property taxes go up for those that are paying. I know half of you won't agree with me because you want government to own everything but that's my opinion.

Correct. Develop the facility with a combo of adding acreage to the park, hotel/conference center and homes. This would bring in tax dollars to the city and state and maybe ease the burden on the rest of us in Laconia.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #46
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Great idea...that property would be ideal for a major hotel. Southwest exposure and a beautiful sandy beach and large sand bar. Somebody call Rusty McLear
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #47
BoatHouse

They might want to make the property into a park. I don't think I would want to work, live or vacation on that property after watching this video:

https://youtu.be/UesOm2HTm2I

This won't get you in the Holiday spirit. Very sad.

BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post:
8gv (12-14-2018), Winni-Retired (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #48
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
They might want to make the property into a park. I don't think I would want to work, live or vacation on that property after watching this video:

I've seen this video. Don't understand why after viewing, you wouldn't want to level and redevelop the site
Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #49
Major

Quote:
I've seen this video. Don't understand why after viewing, you wouldn't want to level and redevelop the site
I worked at the LSS in 1982 for two weeks while working for my dad. There were a lot of profoundly disabled patients. Most were medicated so that they were controllable. The staff for the most part were kind and patient, but it only takes a few bad ones to give the lot a bad name.

The more high functioning patients were put in group homes after LSS closed. I knew a few, and would see them walking about town from time-to-time.

Last edited by Major; 12-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #50
8gv

Quote:

Thank you for posting the video.

There were "state schools" all around our country.

We can look back now and say "how horrible".

In another five decades or so, what about our current practices will get the same response?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #51
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Thank you for posting the video.

There were "state schools" all around our country.

We can look back now and say "how horrible".

In another five decades or so, what about our current practices will get the same response?
I agree there were "State Schools" in most states. Many like MA are doing what they are trying to do with LSS and repurpose them as Businesses, Doctors Offices or leveling them and building housing.

I am sure we will look back in 5 decades at the Horrible mass shootings we have had and blame it on how we fail to treat today's citizens with mental illness.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #52
WinnisquamZ

Unsure what your intentions are by posting this video. As a reader previously wrote these “hospitals” were everywhere and part of our past and has nothing to do with what is being discussed on this post. Lets keep the positive ideas coming how best to address this property.

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #53
BoatHouse

Quote:
Unsure what your intentions are by posting this video. As a reader previously wrote these “hospitals” were everywhere and part of our past and has nothing to do with what is being discussed on this post. Lets keep the positive ideas coming how best to address this property.

The point is - In my opinion - Any future development needs to consider and address the past for this site in order to properly develop it. If there are unmarked graves, the location needs to be treated with significant care and respect. It would not be good to clear the site and put up Businesses, condo's and vacation homes, where there once were buried people. - In my opinion -

But feel free to ignore the past history of this site and focus on the positive.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #54
joey2665

Quote:
The point is - In my opinion - Any future development needs to consider and address the past for this site in order to properly develop it. If there are unmarked graves, the location needs to be treated with significant care and respect. It would not be good to clear the site and put up Businesses, condo's and vacation homes, where there once were buried people. - In my opinion -

But feel free to ignore the past history of this site and focus on the positive.
I don't think anyone here is looking to ignore the past, but put it behind us and move on. Obviously if there is anything that needs to be left undisturbed it would have to be addressed.
BoatHouse (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #55
Descant

Yes. Let's focus on the positive and discuss site history in another thread.
I would have two goals.
First, public access to public waters. Too many of our publicly owned waters are surrounded by private land owners and the public has no access. Selling the property defeats this.
Second, it should be something that enhances the fiscal position of the City of Laconia. Residential development costs more in services than the related tax revenue provides, so I'd cross residential off the list.
There are other threads that talk about developing the Weirs, but there is no large open waterfront parcel.
This site has sufficient size and shorefront to do several things in one comprehensive development plan, but you need some major money to do something like the Balsams project. What are two things that you want for a resort? Land/golf course and waterfront. Then put up a "Grand Hotel" like the others that NH is known for. They all seem to be thriving.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #56
joey2665

Quote:
Yes. Let's focus on the positive and discuss site history in another thread.

I would have two goals.

First, public access to public waters. Too many of our publicly owned waters are surrounded by private land owners and the public has no access. Selling the property defeats this.

Second, it should be something that enhances the fiscal position of the City of Laconia. Residential development costs more in services than the related tax revenue provides, so I'd cross residential off the list.

There are other threads that talk about developing the Weirs, but there is no large open waterfront parcel.

This site has sufficient size and shorefront to do several things in one comprehensive development plan, but you need some major money to do something like the Balsams project. What are two things that you want for a resort? Land/golf course and waterfront. Then put up a "Grand Hotel" like the others that NH is known for. They all seem to be thriving.

Where are the Marriott’s when we need them.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #57
Biggd

Quote:
Where are the Marriott’s when we need them.

I willing to bet the high property taxes are keeping them away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #58
fatlazyless

As already mentioned, the 128-acre Ahern State Park has 3700' of mostly wooded shoreline on Lake Winnisquam and it was created in 1994 when it was ceded from the former state school property.

The 200-acre former state school and prison property is also owned by the State of NH and it has no access to either nearby Lake Winnisquam or Lake Opechee.

It would be basically impossible to remove any of the 3700' shoreline from Ahern State Park for new residential or commercial use like waterfront attached to housing or to a hotel. Once a state park gets created, it remains in place forever and only can grow in size. So, if anything, some more land from the 200-acres could get ceded to the 128-acre state park. I can envision the state could agree to this while dividing up the remaining state school/prison property into various parcels/properties and uses.

For example, four new public tennis courts with a large plywood, 12'h x 24'w hitting backboard, painted green with a white line replicating the tennis net, would be a totally super-duper addition to an appropriate flat area on the grassy hillside of the former state school. People can play tennis into their 90's and older.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-14-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #59
Descant

I can't even imagine where FLL gets his information, but I think the legislature can do whatever they want with state owned lands. That's
how "we" leased Sunapee, and how we run Hampton Beach and Franconia State Parks, among others. Our Parks folks do a great job managing ~95 parks and FLL can't even manage his own fingertips. How do I block FLL? What a doofus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 05:45 AM   #60
joey2665

Quote:
I can't even imagine where FLL gets his information, but I think the legislature can do whatever they want with state owned lands. That's

how "we" leased Sunapee, and how we run Hampton Beach and Franconia State Parks, among others. Our Parks folks do a great job managing ~95 parks and FLL can't even manage his own fingertips. How do I block FLL? What a doofus.

With him it’s all about trolling and getting a rise out of people postings. I don’t think he believes 90% of the nonsense he spouts.

Top-Water (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #61
fatlazyless

About three years ago, creating a community sailing center on the Lake Winnipesaukee, Ellecoya State Beach natural sandy beach in front of the rv park was proposed by a local group and it was not allowed by the state due to local opposition.

Once a state park gets created, it's pretty much impossible to remove whats been created from public use, because it limits the public, and puts it off limits to many local people. That's almost always just how things work out in New Hampshire.

Save the 3700' natural shoreline Ahern State Park, Lake Winnisquam for public use, and vote NO to any hotel or residential development on this natural shoreline ....... it's a state park ...... open to the public ...... and not a hotel/housing development!

Take a look see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNBN3Vl5f6k at 138-acre Ahern State Park in Laconia on Lake Winnisquam ... created in 1994 .... video made Dec 7, 2015.

... thankyou
Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #62
Outdoorsman

They could not give this property away? So now they want $850K? For more studies and such?

{article removed because of copyright concerns}

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...b46d19fc0.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #63
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
They could not give this property away? So now they want $850K? For more studies and such?

{article removed because of copyright concerns}

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...b46d19fc0.html
I see you found this request as funny as I did. 850k must be a magic number to the selectman in this city. Is that not the number they want to give the down town theater to continue their task

Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #64
joey2665

Quote:
I see you found this request as funny as I did. 850k must be a magic number to the selectman in this city. Is that not the number they want to give the down town theater to continue their task

What are the other choices? Continue to pay the 350-400k per year to maintain the property in perpetuity? I do agree that 850k is high but 350k is being held and the funds will be made up 2 years after the sale additionally the city will collect the property tax
Old 05-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #65
WinnisquamZ

I believe it should be made part of the state park system. Add trails and camping sites

Old 05-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #66
joey2665

Quote:
I believe it should be made part of the state park system. Add trails and camping sites

Very nice idea but that also costs money annually to maintain and protect and no property tax income
Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #67
Outdoorsman

Quote:
What are the other choices? Continue to pay the 350-400k per year to maintain the property in perpetuity? I do agree that 850k is high but 350k is being held and the funds will be made up 2 years after the sale additionally the city will collect the property tax
I believe it is the State of NH soliciting the $850K. I could be wrong. (Though my original thought was exactly the same as yours)
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #68
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Very nice idea but that also costs money annually to maintain and protect and no property tax income
Yeah, but it's the GUB-MINT's money, so why worry!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #69
Descant

As a former Commissioner of the Department of Resources and Economic Development, and in charge of the Pease Tradeport Development, George Bald has some good credentials. No commercial enterprise wants to deal with asbestos and lead clean up, or whatever else might be there. You can't just bulldoze everything and call it a park. Nobody wants their kids or dogs playing on that sort of ground. You can develop it commercially, and perhaps find an area that is not contaminated, for a (nine-hole?) golf course. Tennis, anyone?
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
stingray (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #70
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

This property has acres of sweeping lawn on a hillside location with views. Nearly 1000 ' of sandy beach and sweeping rocky cliffs. Hiking and biking trails.
One of the most beautiful properties in the lakes region.
The highest and best use would be a resort complex .......Lets get Rusty in there.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #71
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
This property has acres of sweeping lawn on a hillside location with views. Nearly 1000 ' of sandy beach and sweeping rocky cliffs. Hiking and biking trails.
One of the most beautiful properties in the lakes region.
The highest and best use would be a resort complex .......Lets get Rusty in there.
Absolutely agree and maybe part can be carved out for a public park and trials providing the best of both worlds.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:35 AM   #72
WinnisquamZ

I might not be the Governors largest supporter after these past four months, but if he holds true here. He has my vote

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...32eda3152.html

Old 07-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #73
WinnisquamZ

Sununu kept his word and today vetoed the bill that supported the development of the state school. Now, if I can just get his ear and ask him to donate it to NH Fish and Game

Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #74
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Sununu kept his word and today vetoed the bill that supported the development of the state school. Now, if I can just get his ear and ask him to donate it to NH Fish and Game

Governor kept his word and shut down any ideas of spending state money to developers of the state school property here in Laconia!