Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Lawn Tractor - Mower

It's time for the purchase of a new lawn tractor/mower.

Although my current John Deere still runs fine, it is 15 years old and showing some signs of age.

So off to seek a replacement. I do not need any expensive mower with bags and such. Just a simple riding lawn tractor that cuts grass.

I am only seeking a manual transmission riding mower. I do not want any automatic nor hydrostatic. Yes, they are great and many love them. I do not want any automatic. End of that discussion.

Now to seek a lawn tractor that has an engine made in USA. That is much more difficult. Tecumseh seems to be gone. That leaves Briggs & Stratton and Kohler. Both Briggs & Stratton and Kohler now manufacture some engines in China. I don't want any China junk.

Seems to be a tad difficult to find on any web site for lawn tractors where the engine is manufactured. And a tad difficult to find a manual transmission one.

So off to the local area dealers to ask. And most themselves don't know where engine is manufactured - as manufacturers make it somewhat difficult to find and read the label. I found one locally that state that the engine is "Crafted in China". Nice marketing. Some state Made in PRC - just to confuse the potential buyer.

I did find this on one web site which might be interesting. The difference between a dealer purchased model and a big box model.
Below is one persons take or opinion on the difference. May or may not be accurate.

" The difference between a true Huskvarna from a dealer and one from a big box store is complete. Most parts are not interchangable,and some dealers don't carry parts for them. The 46 inch JD and the 46 in Huskvarna from Lowes use almost all the same parts. The dealer model with routine maintence will last many years past the store model. It will also cost about twice the box store one. The big box stores licence the brand name to sell a cheaper version of a name brand mower and the average buyer will never know the difference."
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I don't want any China junk.
I don't think anybody wants any kind of "junk", but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that any engine made in China is junk, nor would I assume that just because it is made in USA that it is "better".

Quote:
and the average buyer will never know the difference.
I think the rest of the above quote contains a lot of hype, but the part I quoted is the most significant part. If you'll "never know the difference", does it really matter?

The majority of the consumer-marketed lawn tractors are all pretty much the same. But whatever you can find for a decent price, and that you can get local parts/service for if needed.

IMO you're significantly over-thinking this purchase.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Skip

Default A Deere is a Deere

Don't know about the Husqvarna, but I do know the garden tractors by Deere at Lowes/Depot are the exact same model as at the Deere dealer. Neither big box store can deliver a Deere unless the local Deere dealer has inspected and certified it and placed the dealer sticker on it. When I purchased my Deere this season I verified this with the local dealer, who eventually certified the mower I bought from Lowes. Both the dealer and Lowes offered the exact same price, but Lowes gave me a $250 gift card, which the dealer couldn't match.

Actually the dealer was very good about it, as he said he would be happy with providing parts and maintenance after the sale...which is where he makes the bulk of his business anyway.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

My father bought a Craftsman tractor 25 years ago, my oldest brother bought one 15 years ago, my middle brother bought one 12 years ago, I bought one 8 years ago, and my buddy bought one 7 years ago. All are still working perfectly with one oil change per year, Sta-bil in the gas, and some basic adjustments.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
8gv

+1 on the Craftsman.

I don't know where it is manufactured but the parts availability is great.

I needed one $24 part in twelve years of ownership. I could have sourced the part from several companies.

It seems like a goid compromise between purchase price and longevity.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
+1 on the Craftsman.

I don't know where it is manufactured but the parts availability is great.

I needed one $24 part in twelve years of ownership. I could have sourced the part from several companies.

It seems like a goid compromise between purchase price and longevity.
The Craftsman mowers are typically made by MTD. Some of the more recent years have had a couple of models made by Husqvarna for higher-end units.

Keep in mind too that "Craftsman" is just a brand, there is no Craftsman factory, Sears outsources all the manufacturing to various 3rd parties. Your "Craftsman" mower of 8 years ago could be TOTALLY different than what is in the store this year for a multitude of reasons. Just saying, do your homework based on what is in stores NOW, not what your cousin bought a decade ago.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
TheProfessor

Maybe it's just one model - the entry priced model.

"Both of these are John Deere 42″ mowers. The one from HD is a model manufactured exclusively for HD. Here’s where the problem starts. The big box stores have made deals with manufactures to supply exclusive products at attractive price points. I know there are many people who will argue this fact and say there is no difference. However, go to the John Deere site and search for Model BG20444, you will not find it. You will find the LA105 which is a similar tractor but the BG20444 was manufactured specifically for HD."

LINK

Maybe the exact same model with different model numbers. Or cheaper models. Tough to find the truth.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:

I am only seeking a manual transmission riding mower. I do not want any automatic nor hydrostatic. Yes, they are great and many love them. I do not want any automatic. End of that discussion.
To each his own but I am wondering about the reason for the decision. I am on my 5th Craftsman tractor and it is a 46 inch mower with a Kohler engine and an automatic transmission.

The first one I had was a 5 speed manual and I thought it was OK. Then I got one with an automatic and I couldn't believe how much better it is.

One hand on the shifter controls speed and direction of travel without using my feet for anything. Easy, smooth, and comfortable. If they offered me a manual transmission for half the price I would gladly pay the extra for the automatic.

If you are worried about any additional maintenance, I have never had any work of any kind done on the transmission portion.

It seems that if most all of the tractors available for sale have automatics then that is what the public wants.

Have you had any experience with an automatic?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I have a John Deere now bought from a dealer and it is by far the best I have ever had. I would not buy another brand again. Stick with your Deere!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am on my 5th Craftsman tractor and it is a 46 inch mower with a Kohler engine and an automatic transmission.

Have you had any experience with an automatic?
Yes. I have a New Holland tractor with hydrostatic drive and it is wonderful.

Do not want any automatic on a lawn tractor. Too many horror stories. Thank you.

As far as Sears goes. Well you have had good luck. And hope you continue.

Me, I had a Sears chain saw. Took to Sears repair facility. Counter person states that Sears does not work on any gasoline engine over 10 years old.
I asked if I could speak with one of the mechanics. OK. When I entered the repair area - one step in - a screaming voice yelled out - "Get out of here. We don't work on anything over 10 years old."

That was the end of Sears for me. Thank you.

Note: my current lawn tractor is manual transmission. And I love it. It's just getting old.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Do not want any automatic on a lawn tractor. Too many horror stories. Thank you.
Honest question, what horror stories? I've had both kinds and have really come to prefer the automatic transmissions and have never had any horror stories. Can't recall ever hearing about problems with them either (all my neighbors have riding tractors, multiple family members, etc.).
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Me, I had a Sears chain saw. Took to Sears repair facility. Counter person states that Sears does not work on any gasoline engine over 10 years old.
I asked if I could speak with one of the mechanics. OK. When I entered the repair area - one step in - a screaming voice yelled out - "Get out of here. We don't work on anything over 10 years old." That was the end of Sears for me. Thank you.
So you had what sounds like a great Sears chainsaw--over ten years old that you wanted to repair--but you swear off the whole brand because of a cranky person? Methinks the customer protests too much!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
So you had what sounds like a great Sears chainsaw--over ten years old that you wanted to repair--but you swear off the whole brand because of a cranky person?
Correct. But added are all of the independent repair facilities that don't touch anything Sears. Period.
Can't get parts. Odd designs and components.
Sears doesn't make anything.

For those who have Sears and love it. Great for you.

LINK
Old 11-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Yes. I have a New Holland tractor with hydrostatic drive and it is wonderful.

As far as Sears goes. Well you have had good luck. And hope you continue.

I asked if I could speak with one of the mechanics. OK. When I entered the repair area - one step in - a screaming voice yelled out - "Get out of here. We don't work on anything over 10 years old."

That was the end of Sears for me. Thank you.

Note: my current lawn tractor is manual transmission. And I love it. It's just getting old.
You can lead a horse to water..........................

There are many private repair facilities that would work on your antique chainsaw and to swear off Sears because of one rude employee well............ I have gone through 3 chain saws in the last 15 years. When they get old and break down I throw them out.

As I said: To each his own. If you mowed your lawn twice with the automatic I am sure you would like it, and as a matter of fact, prefer it. Having extensive experience with both, in my mind there is no comparison. But sometimes you can't confuse people with the facts who have already made up their minds . It is just how it is!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
TheProfessor

Thanks for all of the replies. But some digression has occurred.

Here is the main part of my original post.

"I am only seeking a manual transmission riding mower. I do not want any automatic nor hydrostatic. Yes, they are great and many love them. I do not want any automatic. End of that discussion.

Now to seek a lawn tractor that has an engine made in USA."
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Did some quick research and called a few small engine buddies--other than small motorcycle shops, etc. looks like there's no small engine manufacturer that exclusively builds in USA. SOME engines are, and almost none use all American parts. Kohler was mentioned as one of the more likely to fit your request.

And not to digress, but just a note--ALL said that since Honda and the like smoke American engines, there's no real market anymore.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
Rusty

Consumer Reports says this about Top tractors:

Lower-priced on average than zero-turn-radius riders for properties larger than a half-acre, tractors are the better bet for bagging clippings—and they’re easier on turf and more stable on hills. Top scores and high-quality features make the John Deere X300, $3,000, well worth its price. For $800 less, the Craftsman 20442, $2,200, a CR Best Buy, has a larger deck, mulched more evenly, and can turn more tightly. You might also like its 6½-mph ground speed. The Snapper NXT2346, $2,800, another CR Best Buy, offers impressive cutting across the board and a dashboard LED screen with an hour meter and timers for changing oil, filters, and more. The John Deere S240 Sport, $2,500, comes with an extra-wide, flat chute that, for side-discharging, shows some improvement in dispersal of clippings over older Deere tractors; it’s also priced more competitively.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...erty/index.htm
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #18
dpg

I totally agree about over-thinking this purchase. Unless your in your 40's (I'm assuming your not and have no clue) a decent mid-model machine with a little maintenance will out last you anyway. A 15 year machine isn't all that old.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #19
TheProfessor

Here is the only one I have found so far:

LINK

A17KG42 42 in. 17-HP KOHLER 6-Speed Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower

Will have to check if it has a China junk engine.