Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Dave M

Default Clean Shrink Wrapped boat?

This is the 1st year for having my boat shrink wrapped, getting old. Do you clear the snow off or leave it. Does the shrink warp get brittle. On one thought is if I use a broom I'll poke a hole in the shrink warp. If I leave it turns to ice and weight will break the shrink wrap. What do Marinas do with all their boats. My boat is parked in my parking area under some power lines so it does get some sun.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
fatlazyless

.....you should have used a grey heavy weight tarp, some el cheapo cotton/nylon clothes line with a home made wood frame built high enough to shed the snow.....and you could have saved yourself maybe six hundred dollars or so!

If it doesn't shed snow and you have easy access to it, then that's no big deal ...... just pull the snow off with a roof rake or a snow shovel or your arm .... the heavy tarps stand up better than the light weight tarps to the snow, wind, sun, rain and can last for two or three seasons of re-use before getting worn thin or tearing up.

You would now be having about six hundred dollars more money, and your boat would be a very happy boat under its grey winter tarp.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-29-2017 at 12:23 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
This is the 1st year for having my boat shrink wrapped, getting old. Do you clear the snow off or leave it. Does the shrink warp get brittle. On one thought is if I use a broom I'll poke a hole in the shrink warp. If I leave it turns to ice and weight will break the shrink wrap. What do Marinas do with all their boats. My boat is parked in my parking area under some power lines so it does get some sun.

Dave M

The snow should slide right off if built correctly with a frame under it. I’ve never had snow on mine with the steep pitch. Are you seeing snow collecting on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.....you should have used a grey heavy weight tarp, some el cheapo cotton/nylon clothes line with a home made wood frame built high enough to shed the snow.....and you could have saved yourself maybe six hundred dollars or so!

If it doesn't shed snow and you have easy access to it, then that's no big deal ...... just pull the snow off with a roof rake or a snow shovel or your arm .... the heavy tarps stand up better than the light weight tarps to the snow, wind, sun, rain and can last for two or three seasons of re-use before getting worn thin or tearing up.

You would now be having about six hundred dollars more money, and your boat would be a very happy boat under its grey winter tarp.
For the guy who always wants the cheapest way out, FLL missed on this one.
Shrinkwrap at MVYC is about $300 for an average 24' boat. The price at other marinas must be similar. Anybody who can save $600 on a $300 job...(insert clever tag line here. Too many options for me.)
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote