Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Winilyme

Default Disappointing Experience With a New Sea Ray - The Conversation Continues

I don't think I'm breaking any rules about starting a new thread about Tuckntruck's Sea Ray experience. I see the original thread has been closed but not deleted. This is the way it should be. Living with the conversation already had is the pain Sea Ray should have to live with given what they put their customer through. The terms of the NDA should prevent that specific conversation from continuing (as it was originated by Tuckntruck) but nothing more.

I for one will remember this when it's my turn to purchase a boat. While it would be nice to know the end of the story, we can surmise by Tucks tenacity and unwillingness to accept anything but what was right, that he will soon be comfortably cruising in a new boat with no financial consequence to himself. My hat is off to him for doing what was necessary to force Sea Ray's hand, while also not coming across as someone looking for revenge. Tuck just wanted a fair shake and given his final post, it seems he got it.

Well done Tuck!
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Disappointd in Willyme

I'm disappointed in your desire to dishonor another member's request.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm disappointed in your desire to dishonor another member's request.
Precisely what request is it that you are referring to? The original thread was terminated - which was his request. What's the harm in continuing to discuss an important issue that could impact Forum members?

Do we just move on and pretend none of this ever happened?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Tuckntruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
that he will soon be comfortably cruising in a new boat with no financial consequence to himself. My hat is off to him for doing what was necessary to force Sea Ray's hand, while also not coming across as someone looking for revenge. Tuck just wanted a fair shake and given his final post, it seems he got it.

Well done Tuck!
New boat production is still pretty far behind schedule... so *soon* may not be a thing, however, I and the family will be out enjoying the lake for the remainder of the summer.

Still working out final terms. Once I know concretely what I can and can not say I'll be sure to update everybody.

Hopefully, this has drawn attention to any areas in which SR can improve their customer service, and the issues I experienced are not repeated, I hope all current and future owners have nothing but an excellent experience.

Last edited by Tuckntruck; 06-24-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuckntruck For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-24-2020), Winilyme (06-24-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Poor Richard

So this new thread and the editing/ locking of the other thread means Sea Ray isn't the type of company to own up to certain glaring mistakes in their production process and with that, would rather bury something like this with a hush agreement rather than stand directly in front of it and be transparent about what they are doing to prevent this in the future.

Not exactly confidence inspiring but hey, out of sight out of mind, right?

Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
So this new thread and the editing/ locking of the other thread means Sea Ray isn't the type of company to own up to certain glaring mistakes in their production process and with that, would rather bury something like this with a hush agreement rather than stand directly in front of it and be transparent about what they are doing to prevent this in the future.

I think everyone the has read this thread will know enough not to buy a new Sea Ray or at least be very diligent on the purchase. The OP made his problem public and that cannot be taken back.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default One Side

While I do not discount anything that Tuckntruck has said, I think everyone should remember before writing off and bad mouthing Searay that we have only heard one side of the story...

With that being said I wish Tuckntruck the best of luck with whatever his end result may be...

Dan
upthesaukee (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post

This is exactly why I started the new thread. I totally understand that the OP of the first thread became legally obligated to do everything in his power to close it down. I also understand the Webmaster desiring to help him and it was done the right way. The narrative was terminated (but not deleted) and folks were prevented from continuing a conversation that was initiated by Tuck. This is Sea Ray's attempt to artificially close down the conversation via an NDA.

Understandably, to avoid a huge hardship (time, dollars out of pocket, loss of summer boating on the lake, etc.) Tuck accepted an NDA as most any of us would have as well. That's a tactic that big business employs all the time to settle and avoid the negative limelight of bad publicity. It's disturbing that Sea Ray let the issue go on for so long with the damage just piling on. Of course, quick and honest action on Sea Ray's part in the first place would have in all likelihood prevented the need for an NDA to begin with. As you hint at, a negative story can actually turn into a positive one if a company recognizes their mistakes, stand up to them and quickly makes good. Sea Ray failed in that regard and their legacy for that mistake is the original thread. Undoubtedly, they also were counting on Tuck to tire and just go away...as many probably do in similar circumstances. That didn't happen so their gamble didn't pay off. Fact is, it still isn't too late for Sea Ray to fess up and perhaps recapture a little good will.

I have no personal beef with Sea Ray. But I do have a general beef with calculating companies attempting to corner the consumer, cover up their indiscretions and just make them disappear. Otherwise said - I point to your statement - "[that Sea Ray]...would rather bury something like this with a hush agreement rather than stand directly in front of it and be transparent about what they are doing to prevent this in the future." The fact that this frequently happens is a huge disservice to the consumer. So, we look to social media to tell these stories and take back the advantage.

In my business, the success of my team's actions are highly influenced by providing exceptional customer service. I would NEVER fail to immediately admit my mistakes (there are enough to go around) and do everything in my power to correct them.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While I do not discount anything that Tuckntruck has said, I think everyone should remember before writing off and bad mouthing Searay that we have only heard one side of the story...

With that being said I wish Tuckntruck the best of luck with whatever his end result may be...

Dan
But over several months Sea Ray has had every opportunity to engage and tell their side of the story - but they didn't. Lack of action on their part makes it clear to me that they only wanted this to be buried. A lot of this goes to the way Tuck carried out his campaign. There were no exaggerations or brand bashing. It was all about facts. I don't think that gave Sea Ray much of an angle to work with.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default None of my business

I figure that when the OP in the original post said he was fine done commenting, any details on the settlement is above my pay grade's need go know.

Glad things are working out for him.

Dave
Old 06-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
But over several months Sea Ray has had every opportunity to engage and tell their side of the story - but they didn't. Lack of action on their part makes it clear to me that they only wanted this to be buried. A lot of this goes to the way Tuck carried out his campaign. There were no exaggerations or brand bashing. It was all about facts. I don't think that gave Sea Ray much of an angle to work with.
I don't disagree with anything you have said...I can only tell you that any large company worth their salt is not going to get in a debate with one of their product customers on a public internet forum.

The professional way for them to deal with this is through their dealer network or direct private communication with the customer. While they may not have done this, they should never air their dirty laundry in public...

Dan
Hillcountry (06-25-2020), upthesaukee (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
What other side of the story is there to tell when forgetting structural foam resulting in hull failure? Nevermind the ruined engine because it wasn't properly cared for while in their possession and nevermind the repairs to other areas of the boat that could have otherwise been done better by a 3yr old.

IIRC, Tuck's experience is not an isolated event either.

Sea Ray has shown their true colors by trying to dodge this whole mess....a mess they created then attempted to ignore and now they want it to be hushed. Tells me there's a significant issue with the leadership team at a minimum, nevermind the simple fact that they have built at least one other boat prior to all this so they should have a handle on how to make boats by now.

Then again, if I built a house and forgot about the framing I'd probably want to sweep it under the rug as well.

No matter how you cut it, it's extremely poor form in all regards on the part of Sea Ray.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
Tuckntruck

Just following up I guess

SR is working with our Marina and we came to an acceptable resolution. I am disappointed that I had to make as much noise as I did to get a satisfactory resolution. At this point there is no NDA, just a release, however it was expressed to me that it would be appreciated if I relayed the outcome and “toned” down the other stuff. Not remove, but just make sure the final outcome wasn’t lost in the greater scheme of things. Once I have the finalized paperwork signed, I will update everybody and re-include the initial part of the story.

I kept this pretty small scale because I didn’t want to completely ruin the relationship, we like where the marina is, and the people working there. I’ve got nothing to hide. As I said before hopefully the expense this has caused SR will result in changes with how they deal with their customers. I don’t think they are bad boats, I think I just got stuck with some CS people who were not committed to the job.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuckntruck For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (06-30-2020), upthesaukee (06-27-2020), Winilyme (06-27-2020)