Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
DickR

Default Repairing dock whip

For some years, I've used a pair of 8 ft DockEdge whips to keep our boat off the dock, and I'm satisfied with how well they have worked where we are. One thing I've noticed is that over time the bottom end of a whip, where the flexing stresses are greatest, starts to deteriorate, with the outer layers cracking and separating from the core. I've bought replacement whips a couple of times, but last year it was back ordered for the longest time before it finally shipped. I need another now, and I am finding that I can't even place the order for a single whip anywhere.

So I thought I'd ask here if anyone has addressed this sort of whip failure with a good DIY repair. I did a YouTube search and came up empty.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
SAB1

Im still on my original pair. 19th year. Ill have to look at mine...............
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Exclamation ...... noodles at work

Maybe two foam noodles, with dense foam , 55" long, pressed down over the two fiberglass wands could work to sturdy them up.

Fiberglass dock wand are made of long, thin, springy fiberglass that is tapered from the base to the end point, and can be maybe eight feet long.

For five dollars each, Walmart has monster noodles, 55" long x 3.5" wide, with a center hole about 3/4" diameter. If it fits good, and works good ...... is an easy fix ....... otherwise, can just return it to store.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-24-2020 at 08:16 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Can you slide a piece of pipe just long enough to get above the weak point so that another section of the whip will be doing the flexing?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Maybe two foam noodles, with dense foam , 42" long, pressed down over the two fiberglass wands could work to sturdy them up ........ seriously .... this is not meant to be a joke.
Somebody asked for him!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
DickR

Among the whips I've replaced, damage has occurred in two places. One is right above the lower end where there are two fiberglass tubes, one longer than the other, telescoped over the central shaft and fiberglassed/epoxied/cemented in place. That thickened end is inserted into the bracket that mounts on the dock. When the shaft above that thickened lower end starts splitting, I see no hope for it, unless I were to add multiple layers of fiberglass mat over that place.

The current situation is at the two tubes right at the bottom, which have developed splits and have separated from the central shaft. After years of using the whips and storing them outside over the winter, I finally read the instructions (was I supposed to?), which say to store them in a non-freezing environment. I theorize that water may have wicked in between the central shaft and the two tubes over it, and on freezing caused the cracks. Expensive lesson learned.

So now I am trying to conjure up a DIY fix, likely involving replacing the two lower tubes with something and cemented somehow into place. That may be just buying time, but that's fine. It's like really extending the life of old hiking boots with ShoeGoo for use around the yard or broken sandals with duct tape.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Dick have you tried talking with Centerharbor dock and Pier?

Also if you having problems with them failing, have you considered moving to the next size up?

I have had mine for quite a while and have not encountered any such problems... (15 years)....
upthesaukee (07-24-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
sluggo

Dick I looked through my used stock to see if I had an 8 ft dock source whip and all I have is a couple 12 footers with no bases and one of those is starting to crack at the base. I sell the Monarck whips and at this time I am out of the ones you would need but my order should be in over the next couple of weeks if your looking to replace them. Don from center harbor docks 253-4000
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
Hezman

Default Dock Whip

Dick - sent you a PM/Jim
Hezman is offline   Reply With Quote