Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Default Mooring Installation Recommendations

I did a search, but some of the threads are a bit old. Looking for recommendations (and approx cost if you have it) for a mooring installation. I am located in M'boro

Thanks ahead of time

newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
codeman671

Ours were done by Diversified Marine a while ago, about $1k each with regular chain.

Spend the money up front for stainless chain though. Our regular chain only lasted about 5-6 years. We had Central NH Divers do an inspection and found them to be paper thin so we went stainless. They did the service work as well as moved our neighbors mooring at the same time.

We used stainless on the mooring block for our swim raft, still looks great. This came from Watermark.

I recall someone mentioning that am employee at Fay's does it as well in his spare time.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
WIS

Hi Newbie,

Depending on your water depth, the size of your boat, and what material you prefer, moorings run from around $1,000.00-1,600.00.

Usually galvanized will last 3-5 years depending on its location and use but its good to inspect it yearly for unusual wear prior to the start of each season. Stainless should last 10+ years but again its important to inspect it prior to putting your boat out for the summer to make sure all of the cotter wires are intact and the chain is in good condition.

Feel free to send me an email with the type and size of boat you have, water depth, and type of chain you'd like and I'll put a formal quote together this evening.

Thank you,
Mike
info@winnipesaukeeis.com
603-707-4677

http://www.winnipesaukeeislands.com/mooring.php

603-707-4677
www.WinnipesaukeeIslands.com
WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
fatlazyless

....say-hey....I have a 12" diameter, mooring ball & swivel that was floatsum & jetsum which washed ashore a couple days ago. It has the mooring sticker intact from 2002....and I plan on dropping it off at the free store at the Meredith town dump about 12:30-today if you is looking for a worn, but usable freebie.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
RobertsCove0

Try Northeast Dock and Barge. 603-515-9032
RobertsCove0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIS View Post

Usually galvanized will last 3-5 years depending on its location and use but its good to inspect it yearly for unusual wear prior to the start of each season. Stainless should last 10+ years but again its important to inspect it prior to putting your boat out for the summer to make sure all of the cotter wires are intact and the chain is in good condition.

http://www.winnipesaukeeislands.com/mooring.php
Why would a stainless only last 10+ years? I would have thought it would be much longer than that
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Why would a stainless only last 10+ years? I would have thought it would be much longer than that
I put stainless chain in 19 years ago and it looks the same as when new.

However my mooring does not get a lot of heavy use. If you have a heavy boat tugging on the chain for months and years wear could be a problem.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
WIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
It will depend a lot on where the mooring is located, how much scope the mooring has, and the conditions on the lake bottom surrounding the mooring.

In many cases a SS chain will last much longer than 10 years and a galvanized may last more than 5 years in the lake but I was just giving a generic ballpark. The galvanized chain and SS chain wear out the same way which is from the friction of the links rubbing together and from being dragged across abrasive sand and rocks on the bottom. Mixing galvanized and stainless under water will also cause the hardware and chain to fail much quicker than it should.

Here is an example of what a chain we replaced a couple of years ago. The links were completely worn through at the bottom of the chain near the mooring. The upper chain was still in great shape and you would have never known this mooring was as close to failure as it was by just looking at the top 4' of chain. The mooring had only been used for 5 seasons at the time of this photo:

We offer spring mooring inspections where we check for things like abnormal wear on the chain as well as check all of the cotter wires on the shackles /swivels and inspect your mooring block or disc.
If you have any more questions please let me know!

Thank you,
Mike

603-707-4677
www.WinnipesaukeeIslands.com
WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

That chain looks like it wouldn't even hold the mooring ball.