Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Rolie

Default Jacking up cottage

We have a cottage in Meredith with a crawl space that is less than usable because of dampness. We have been thinking about having it jacked up about 5 or 6 feet to make the front of the house more level with the street and to level and cement the floor to make the basement usable.
There is a concrete foundation in place now and I'm thinking that a concrete block wall in the front part of the house and a framed knee wall to the existing foundation under the rest of the house.
Anybody out there have any experience with this type of project who may be able to provide some guidence and some do's and don't's?
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
AC2717

Default been invloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
We have a cottage in Meredith with a crawl space that is less than usable because of dampness. We have been thinking about having it jacked up about 5 or 6 feet to make the front of the house more level with the street and to level and cement the floor to make the basement usable.
There is a concrete foundation in place now and I'm thinking that a concrete block wall in the front part of the house and a framed knee wall to the existing foundation under the rest of the house.
Anybody out there have any experience with this type of project who may be able to provide some guidence and some do's and don't's?
I have been involved, by involved I mean a friend of the one doing it and being apart of the labor, in this type of project just on a house (bigger scale) not a cottage. First things first, find out why it is so damp and what precautions, i.e. sub-pumps, high water table, soil type, will need to be taken to keep it dry, those costs might not make it worth it. Also don't forget you will have to extend all your plumbing and possibly your electrical service to allow for the extra height on the cottage.
I recived a price to have someone put a 4 foot crawl space basement in a cottage in Laconia and price was just $35,000 doing it the right way (18x22 structure). I have a water table under my place of less than 6 feet. we are right on the water, the killer was the hoisting of the cottag up 5 feet and having it sit there on metal pilings while all the work was done underneath it. Plus it was a couple of weeks of work. NOt to mentiont he interior wall damage and ceiling damage that could come of it do to the stress, and my is just sits on blocks and pilings for now. I was basically told it would cost half as much as if I were to just tear down and start from scratch without out incurring hte cost of hoisting what is already there.

Good Luck
Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
secondcurve

Rolie:

I dealt with Bumble Bee Maintenance in Moultonboro last year for some sill work. They jacked up my house and replaced the sill. I am pretty sure they would be able to handle your project. Call Ray at 651-3255 for a quote.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
upnorth

Default Tradesmen Builders

If you decide to not tackle this job and hand over to a pro, give Larry and Rich a call (603-524-5357) at Trademen Builders. They just completed a tear down and rebuild for me in Meredith and I'm certain they would be able to handle this.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
Rolie

Default Jacking it up

I don't plan to do it myself. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of project that could give me an idea of what I'm in for? What permits are involved? Cost? "Other HIDDEN" costs?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
ApS

Default "Water Always Wins"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolie View Post
"...We have a cottage in Meredith with a crawl space that is less than usable because of dampness. We have been thinking about having it jacked up about 5 or 6 feet to make the front of the house more level with the street and to level and cement the floor to make the basement usable..."
A neighbor had his 1100 sq' cottage raised by Pineo of Wolfeboro, and put in a full walk-in basement. The structure is now two stories, and got transformed! This was four years ago, and cost the owner only $55,000. Pineo doesn't advertise often, and perhaps doesn't need to.

I gave it some thought for myself, but I have an acre here, so I would be building—in effect—a tear-down.

For dampness, you may want to look upslope to see if the problem arises there. Water can find its way under most structures and driveways: if your subsoil is clay, water has nowhere to go.

But water will find a way!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Rolie

Default Jack it up

Does anybody have any experience with 3-G Construction, I think in Holderness?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
Lakepilot

Bernard Pineo and his son Jimmy both have construction business in Wolfeboro. I have had both do work and would not hire either again. There are far better choices.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Quotes

Rollie,

Before taking on a project on like this besides getting some recomendations of contractors I suggest taking in 4 to 5 quotes if you are unfamiliar with what needs to be done. Not really know your situation it is hard to give any recomendations. But if you have a few guys out to give you bids you will start to see simularities and and differences in what they want to do. And then you start question those differences and you will learn a lot in the process. And above all else before contracting someone to do the work get every last detail in writing.

As for what permits will be required take a trip to town hall and have a conversation with the building inspector........
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Rolie

Default Thanks....

.....Thanks....all great suggestions. I have contacted 1 contractor and will see what he has to say about the project itself and required permits. Then I can compare what he says with what the bldg inspector says. I like to ask questions the answer to which I already know. That can help to quickly weed out those who don't know what they're talking about.
I plan to get 3 or 4 estimates before I make a go/no go decision.
Thanks again
Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Rolie

Default Contractors..

Hi again,
Anybody have any experience and/or comments about 3-G Construction in Holderness or Interlakes Builders in Meredith?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
hazelnut

Default Long time ago but...

My parents did this exact project to their lake house back in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure that they used James Piscopo out of Belmont as the GC. Anyway the house was on piers and they had the house jacked up. They used hydraulics to lift it and then an excavator dug out under the house before they poured a concrete foundation.

Just like your situation the house was lower than the street. After the house was jacked up it was level with the street. This created a walk out basement. All in all I believe they were very satisfied with the results.

Not sure if there were any "hidden costs." Just remember once you get into this project significant electrical, plumbing, heating, costs. My parents had an extra bathroom put in the basement. This required plumbing work prior to the concrete being poured. It is a good opportunity that you want to take advantage of. Even if you just have it roughed in and wait to finish it later. They put in a utility room with the heating and hot water tank in it and had that room plumbed for a washer drier.

After re-reading your post you said "usable." Did you mean as a living space? I just assumed you did. If so carefully consider the plumbing issues I mentioned. You'll kick yourself later on if you decide to do add a bathroom/laundry room and your jackhammering the concrete floor.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote