Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Turkey Plunge at Weirs Beach

From the Citizen
Quote:
Interact issues Turkey Plunge challenge

Friday, October 30, 2009
The Laconia High School Interact Club has issued a challenge to other area high schools to support the Salvation Army's upcoming "Turkey Plunge" fundraiser.

The Interact Club will field a team in the event which takes place at noon on Saturday, Nov. 21, at Weirs Beach. Each team member will solicit pledges.

"The Turkey Plunge has evolved into a family event which generates, on average, over $17,000 a year for the many charitable programs of the local Salvation Army," said Captain Scott Flanders, commanding officer. "We're excited that a group of civic-minded teens are joining us again this year."

Interact Club President Jeff Breault said, "This is a great opportunity to have some fun while raising money for a worthy cause. On behalf of Laconia High School's Interact Club, I'm challenging every area high school to have a team join us in the Turkey Plunge."
with any luck.... "SHIRLEY" will show up again!!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
From the Citizen

with any luck.... "SHIRLEY" will show up again!!
if i remember correctly she came out a lot faster then she went in! hopefully this year isn't as cold as last year.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
glennsteely

Talking In November??

You guys are crazy to go in that water November 21st!!!! Crazier than me! That takes some determination.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default A Glennsteely sighting

Did Glennsteely come out of hiding now that the Eagles have their mojo back? Welcome back and thanks for kicking the Giants around.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Turkey Plunge for a Good Cause!

I added the photo to the event already posted on our calendar. Maybe Shirley will get more people to show up and donate!

Welcome home glennsteely!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
glennsteely

Default I'm always here....

I am usually on my phone reading the sight....for some reason I can't log in and post from my phone, so I haven't been saying much, but I am on at least once a day. As for the giants, you are welcome. Now if we can just put the yankees away, I know you guys will be happy then.....thanks for the welcome you guys.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Default Saturday 11:30, Weirs Beach

Want to make a donation? Whether it is $2 - $20, or $200....it will definately help someone who needs the help.

Mail a check to:

Salvation Army
177 Union Ave
P O Box 326
Laconia NH 03247

Attention: Turkey Plunge

Saturday Nov 21, The Laconia Town Beach at Weirs Beach

10am Registration opens at Weirs Beach

11:30 Judging of costumes

12:noon Plunge kick-off

GET INVOLVED

Last year, your pledges and donations helped to:

- Provide 8,291 meals
- Provide 7,969 bed nights of shelter
- Send 30 children to summer camp
- Helped feed 541 families with food baskets
- Provided mortgage and rental assistance to those in need

After the Plunge

Join us at the Weirs Beach Lobster Pound for a culinary treat of soups, chowders and pastries donated by local area restaurants.

($5 for spectators, Plungers are free!)

info sheet & pledge form/ Meredith Village Savings Bank

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-18-2009 at 07:57 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Seems like tomorrow's weather forcast is looking bright & sunny, and what with the water temperature a nice warm 48 degrees......it could be a crowd pleezer ....down at the Weirs Beach.

Lots of different groups are signed on.....local high schools....local businesses....local governments.....local church groups......my word.....looks like maybe some responsible types could be taking the plunge.

What caught my attention is the freebie good food, chowdown at the nearby Lobster Pound after the event Plungers get in free.....everyone else...$5.00. . . FREE.....my favorite word!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
mcdude

Default The Return of Shirley?

from the Baysider NOTE CHANGE of LOCATION
Quote:
Turkey Plunge set for Nov. 19
LACONIA — The seventh annual Salvation Army Turkey Plunge will take place on Saturday, Nov. 19, at the Opechee Cove Beach just off North Main Street in Laconia. In addition to the family fun and excitement of plunging, or cheering for your favorite plunger, a highlight of the event each year has been the postplunge
luncheon. This year the lunch will be held at the Laconia Middle School and, once again, be served by the Culinary Arts students from Lakes Region Community College. While those who take the plunge enjoy a free lunch, the public is cordially invited to join in the festivities for a lunch donation. All proceeds from the plunge
and luncheon, go directly to support the numerous community programs of the
Lakes Region Salvation Army. One of the more notable efforts is support for
The Carey House, the only homeless shelter in Belknap County. The food served is
all donated from some of the area’s finest restaurants. This year, as they have since the first Turkey Plunge, the Beetle Family from Patrick’s Pub and Eatery will donate food. Joining Patrick’s in their generosity will be Fratello’s, “O” Steak and Seafood, T-Bones, Hart’s, Kitchen Cravings the culinary program from the college and, new this year, the Wine’ing Butcher. Beverages for the plunge and luncheon have been donated by Coca Cola of the Lakes Region and Lago of Meredith; both in their seventh year of supporting the plunge. The plunge gates open at Opeechee at 10:30 a.m. with the plunge to start, under the expert guidance of WLNH’s Pat Kelly, around noon. The lunch at the middle school cafeteria follows at approximately 1 p.m. Come out with the family and enjoy a fun plunge and a great lunch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
RLW (11-10-2011), SteveA (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Don't call me Shirley....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA
Old 11-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
mcdude

Default No Sign of Shirley

from the Citizen

Girl's Varsity Volleyball Team - Interlakes H.S.
Quote:
LACONIA — The weather gods smiled on the seventh annual Salvation Army Turkey Plunge on Saturday, providing clear skies and moderate temperatures to participants who took to the chilly waters of Lake Opechee for a good cause.
Joanne Pearce of Meredith Village Savings Bank, who was among the cadre of volunteers and corporate sponsors who helped make the event a success, reported the 2011 plunge raised $15,570 to help fund the Salvation Army’s efforts to help those in need.
More than 100 people took the plunge in front of an appreciative crowd, estimated at more than 200 people. Participants and spectators vehicles filled the parking lot at Opechee Park more than two hours before the event’s 11 a.m. kick-off.
Last year’s Turkey Plunge raised more than $15,000 and had 144 participants.
Plungers recognized for raising the most money this year were Bob McCula, $1,715; Casey Wiggin $701.51 and Pam Clark, $618. Teams raising the most money were Conneston Construction Inc. $2,375; the Laconia Airport Authority, $2,250 and Lady Lakers Volleyball, $1,316. The teams with the largest number of plungers were the Laconia Sachems, Lady Lakers Volleyball and Patrick’s Pub & Eatery.
Last year, proceeds of the event helped the Salvation Army to provide 13,700 meals, 8,594 bed nights at the Carey House shelter, sent 20 children to summer camp and helped to provide 658 families with food baskets. The money also helped provided emergency mortgage and rental assistance to 1,666 families.
In opening remarks, Laconia Mayor Mike Seymour praised participants for the willingness to help raise money to benefit some of the neediest people during a sour economy.
“You should feel really good about helping people in our community who need help the most,” he said.
Prior to braving the cold water, plungers were invited to warm up and get their blood moving with a series of stretching exercises led by Holland Hill Studio of Moultonborough.
With WLNH radio personality Pat Kelly making the countdown, plungers sprinted across the sandy beach down a runway marked by a line of pumpkins donated by Moulton’s Farm in Meredith. While a member of the Laconia Fire Department, wearing an insulated dry-suit, waited in the shallow water to protect the participants, plungers dashed pell-mell into Opechee to the cheers of the crowd.
“It’s not brutally cold and we’re thankful for that,” said Belknap County Sheriff Craig Wiggin, who was among the lead-off plungers.
Saturday’s event marked the first year at a new venue, which many participants said offered better facilities then when the plunge was held at Weirs Beach, citing the close proximity of the bathhouse coupled with the short walk to Memorial Middle School to enjoy a post-swim meal of chowders, soups and pastries donated by area restaurants.
The Laconia Middle School team — who donned “Got Milk?” T-shirts and carried giant replicas of No. 2 pencils — were chosen as the winners of the team costume contest. Patty Enoch, who was plunging on behalf of her Curves franchise in Meredith, was selected for having the best individual costume and was fittingly dressed as a Tom turkey.
Other teams participating represented businesses and organizations, including Ambrose Brothers, Belmont High School, the Lakes Region Community College Care Society, Fratello’s, Laconia High School Key Club, Laconia High School Interact Club, Laconia Housing Authority, Lakes Region Lacrosse Club, LRGHealthcare, Meredith Village Savings Bank and T-Bones and Cactus Jack’s.
Corporate sponsors for the event were the Belknap County Sheriff’s Department, Lakes Region Community College, MVSB, Taylor Rental, T-Bones, WLNH, Patrick’s, O Steaks & Seafood, Kitchen Cravings, Hart’s Turkey Farm, Coca-Cola Bottling of Northern New England, the Common Man, Cara Bean Coffee, the Laconia Police Department and Melcher & Prescott.
Gift certificates given to participants were donated by the Crazy Gringo, Dion’s Plant Pace, EM Heath Supermarket & Hardware, Funspot, Hannaford, Home Comfort, the Inns at Mill Falls, Laconia Harley-Davidson, Lakes Region Floral Studio, Lakes Region General Hospital, Mame’s, McDonald’s in Laconia, Meadowbrook, Pizza Hut, The Brickfront Restaurant, The Wine’ing Butcher, Trustworthy Hardware and Wal-Mart, Gilford.