Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default First Boat Help/Don't Hurt Me

Hi!
First off, sorry this is so long--my question is below, if you'd like to skip through the background.
I have searched and read and searched but haven't been able to come up with my answer, so: Hello! I'm new to this forum and to boating. My wife and I were able to acquire a small camp on Hanson Cove with lake access and, though I thought I could wait a few years to get on the water, it's just too tempting.
That being said, I am looking for advice on purchasing our first boat. We have two small children, 2 and 4-years-old and a limit of 20' for where it'll be kept. At first, we were set on a pontoon, which looks like it'd be relaxing, but then we started looking at bowriders because they look sexy and we could scoot around a bit more. And THEN we saw a couple deck boats that we think would be a great compromise (Hurricane SunDeck Sport, etc.).
But then I found some threads here about choppy waters, boat size, and deck vs. bowrider (cutting vs. slapping, etc.).

SO: If I plan on mostly scooting around the Hanson Cove area and, probably at most over to Moultonborough Bay (as opposed to the broads), would a 19-20 foot deck boat be a good choice?

Any other suggestions or things I should be considering are very welcome. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

thinkxingu, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I'm sure you will get some great responses to your question from the members and you be motoring real quickly.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
brk-lnt

IMO, if you're limited to 20' you probably don't have to worry about which boat rides "best", they're all going to be a little bumpy when the lake is busy. A deck boat would probably give you maximum usability/versatility for the size, so I think you're on the right track.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
pjard

Don't give up on the pontoon boat yet. The later models are quicker than you would think. Of course you should do your own homework but I bet a 20 foot toon with a 115 HP engine would do 35 MPH. Also, a 20 foot pontoon can handle rough conditions better than any 20 foot deck boat or bow rider. All this being said don't get me wrong, I love all boats. We were members of the American Boat Club last year and used both bowriders and toons alot. PM me if you want any further details on my experiences with both.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

My family has had a place near Hanson Cove since the 1930's. A 20 ft. boat would be fine in that area, but I think over time you will want to travel out to the big part of the lake. A 24-26 ft. . Tritoon would be great in the broads ( we have one ). Is it possible to get a boat slip that would hold more than a 20 ft. boat?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
hampfarms

A 20 ft tritoon would handle any conditions on the lake. Go check out Manitou which is now sold at Fays. Good luck and enjoy the lake!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
JasonG

I explored Winnipesaukee for 10 years on an 18' bowrider. Sure, there were choppy days or times. Still not an issue.

Don't let a bit of a rough ride here and there alter your decisions. Enjoy the lake.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Dave R

I think a 20 foot bowrider or deck boat would be ideal for the Hanson Cove end of the lake. You can easily explore a huge amount of the lake on windy/busy days without exposing the boat to big waves/wakes. A fast pontoon would also be excellent, but I imagine it would cost substantially more than a fiberglass boat the same size/performance. I'd aim for a well-cared-for, high quality used boat. My preference would be a outboard powered dual console boat, but they are probably not on your radar...

If you do opt for fiberglass, and plan to keep the boat on the water, look for light colored (white is best) gel coat, a fully fiberglass-lined cockpit, and a full snap-on canvas cockpit cover that covers the windshield. The sun is the enemy.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampfarms View Post
A 20 ft tritoon would handle any conditions on the lake. Go check out Manitou which is now sold at Fays. Good luck and enjoy the lake!
While a 20 foot tritoon will likely get you home in bad weather, I think "handle any conditions" may be a stretch (just my opinion)

To the OP, any boat that is noted aboive will suit your needs on the Moultonborough part of the lake as long as you note conditions (most tough conditions are caused by boat traffic). Enjoy the lake!!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
jazzman

We've had a couple "deck boats" now... a 22' Chaparral Sunesta and a 24' SeaRay Sundeck. Both handle the lake pretty well. The extra space up front is great for kids and a lot of fun if you get the bow filler cushions. I'm not sure how much more the space shrinks in the 20' versions of these.

Our neighbor just got a new boat and I think their old (actually fairly new), SeaRay is over at Goodhue and Hawkins. It's around 20', but I'm not sure if it's the SunDeck model.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
thinkxingu

OK, so it sounds like for what we plan on doing (at least in the next couple years, until the chillens is older) would work. I'll keep my eye out for a newer used tritoon or deck boat, keeping safety in mind (I don't think "sexy" was the right word, but it seems y'all got my point).

I may end up posting what I find for feedback at some point--thanks, all!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

1st don't ever be bashful about asking questions, everyone here loves this lakes and wants to see people enjoy it.

As for boat size 18' to 20' boat regardless of type is going to get you quite a bit of enjoyment on the lake. Some will argue that at that size it is just not big enough. Well that is where they are wrong, I myself have been on the lake for over 25 years, and have never owned a boat bigger then 18'.... There are certainly days where I will not go out, but then again on most of those days I wouldn't go out even if I had a 24' boat.

Now on to types of boats, for a first boat I would recommend going with a bow Rider or closed bow boat. I believe from a control and an ease to learn stand point the will be the easiest to learn with. Not to mention the fact that you can find them all over the place used. The next consideration is free board, not all 18' bow riders are equal. Some are deeper then others. Then you need to look at the width of the boats. Once again this is not standard, some boats are wider then others, giving the short boat, a better more stable feeling.

Talk with neighbors, friends, and people on this forum, go out for a few rides in others boats, or even take some test rides on potential boats from some of the dealers. You will notice differences as your try different makes and models. Eventually one will feel right.

My big advice is to take your time and don't rush your decision on what to buy.

Last, if your looking for someone to talk to, to get more information PM me, I am always glad to get new people involved in boating.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Ll, you mention test rides, which sounds like a great idea, but I hate to waste dealers' times, especially during the season. We're close to a couple, so maybe I'll check in with them and start to form relationships.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
trfour

Thumbs up

I think you made a good choice thinkxingu. The Tritoon floatation is awesome. Over the many years that I boated here and was out in the Broads during high winds and stormy weather, I never had an issue in a 19' Galaxy Bow rider, so you should be fine.
And, come'on back here and let us know how you like it...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I explored Winnipesaukee for 10 years on an 18' bowrider. Sure, there were choppy days or times. Still not an issue.

Don't let a bit of a rough ride here and there alter your decisions. Enjoy the lake.
We enjoyed virtually every corner of the lake in our 19'cuddy. It was a pretty deep V 1991 Sea Pro. We now have a 24' Four Winns bowrider and the 19' was drier and smoother in the rough.

Not all boats are designed the same way and size is only one factor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (07-15-2014), ushaggerb (04-11-2020), VitaBene (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
We enjoyed virtually every corner of the lake in our 19'cuddy. It was a pretty deep V 1991 Sea Pro. We now have a 24' Four Winns bowrider and the 19' was drier and smoother in the rough.

Not all boats are designed the same way and size is only one factor.
4Fun- this point is missed a lot when it comes to boats. Hull length, while important, is second to hull type (I like deep Vs with more deadrise). When boat shopping this year, the ride on Winni was foremost in my mind!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
znh

We have a 214 Funship - FourWinns Deck boat. We have two kids (6 and 7) and it's great for our friends and family. We've had 7 kids on the boat before, lots of room up front for them, especially with the bow cushions in and they all love riding up front. I think they are great family boats and it's served us well, besides a minor incident here or there, but not the boats fault

We looked at Hurricane boats as well, they are a bit flatter then the FourWinns, SeaRay, Chapparal deck boats and people we know who have them on Winni say you get a lot more splash over the bow on the Hurricanes...just something to note.

As for the deckboat on the big lake, we live on the Broads and sure it can be a bit rough sometimes but on days when it's still a little choppy we go out and it's just a little slower and bumpier, the kids certainly don't mind. But even with a bowrider, anything under 24 feet will still feel bumpy on the choppier days. If it's really windy and choppy we just don't go out and wait for the next nice day.

Also after some time you will see that the lake has some general patterns to it that you can work your boating time around. We have found that going out early or later and avoiding the middle of the day rides is great. Some days we save our boating time for after 4:00 / 5:00. The lake is generally calmer with the wind in the early evening, it's still nice and sunny and warm during the summer at this time and the boat traffic is significantly lower.

Either way good luck with your boat shopping and even before you get a boat I would get a map and start studying it...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Hi again! In my searching for boats, tritoons seem hard to find. Can someone help me with a quick list of manufacturers who make 20 tritoons?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
KarmaGirl

We love our Manitou tritoon with Evenrude e-tec engine. Fay's now has the franchise.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
momof3

Default boat

We worked with Kory, Paugus Bay Marina, who spent so much time educating us on boats, not just trying to sell us one. We had a 16 foot and a 20 foot Four Winns that we loved, and they were great for beginner boats and when the kids were small. Kory educated us about the deadrise and how important that is when handling rough water. We purchased a 23ft Crownline in 2003 and are extremely happy with it still! When we are docked at public places, people still comment about how "beefy" the boat looks, it is very deep and handles all the weather fine. It took us about a year to test drive and look at boats but it was well worth it since we still love our choice!!! Good luck :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momof3 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-16-2014), VitaBene (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
RLW

Smile

thinkxingu , I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I'm sure you will get many answers to your request.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #22
Aguamenti

I got boat fever quickly too. We ended up with an 18' bowrider. If I'd waited another year I would have chosen a tritoon. We have 4 kids so the passenger limit of 7 on our boat is limiting. Rough water is... Rough. I have to move the kids to the aft for fear of them flying out in the bow. Busy weekends on the lake involve a lot of avoiding wake for me.

We love our boat but I can see us trading in some day.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hi again! In my searching for boats, tritoons seem hard to find. Can someone help me with a quick list of manufacturers who make 20 tritoons?
The tritoons are out selling fiberglass boats over the last few years and that tend will most likely continue. Every marina now has a tritoon or pontoon make that they offer because that is where the market is heading. Fay's who are know for great service and have great expertise on sailboats brought on the Manitou line of pontoon/tritoon boats. I could list the marinas and what pontoons they carry but it is best to contact each marina. I also could give you the top 5 pontoon manufactures in this area. If you want to learn more just give me a Private Message.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #24
Greene's Basin Girl

We have tritoon Harris. We purchased it at Melvin Marina. We absolutely love it. Matt ( the owner ) will answer any question you have.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
chasedawg

I would start with Channel Marine at the Wiers. Ask for Jay. Tell him that Dan W. sent you over. You should get a good price from Jay. They sell the top of the line Bennington's

Then go to Winnisquam Marine. Ask for Ryan. Tell him I sent you. Ryan owns the marina with his Dad. They sell the Premier. Another quality boat.

Then go to Melvin Village Marina. Go there second after Channel. Ask for Chris or Matt. Same deal tell them I sent you. They sell a very good tritoon in Harris.

Then go to Winnisquam.

After that go to Meredith Marine. Ask for Chris he is sales manager. Same deal. I know Chris. They sell Aqua Patio and SAn Pan

Then go to Fay's ask for Paul Johnston. Same deal. Paul is a good friend of mine. They sell Manitu

That should keep you busy for now. Let me know how you make out and if I can help further.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #26
chasedawg

Oh and I forgot Irwin. How could I forget my friend Jason. See Jason Wylie he is a good friend of mine. They sell Birkshire. Call Jason first. His cell phone is 603-998-0308.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
thinkxingu

This is a great start, thanks! Which of these brands offers a "value" tritoon? As mentioned, used tritoons in the 18-20 foot range seem hard to come by.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
This is a great start, thanks! Which of these brands offers a "value" tritoon? As mentioned, used tritoons in the 18-20 foot range seem hard to come by.
In my opinion, if your looking for a "value" tri-toon, check out either Goodhue and Hawkins "Tahoe" line or Winnisquam Marines "Palm Bay" line. Palm bay is made by Premier just not as plush and without all the bells and whistles. Both are very nice boats.

Good luck in your search!

Dan
Old 07-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #29
thinkxingu

OK, I gotta ask because the sheer simplicity and pricing of Bass Pro Shops' Sun Tracker keeps coming up. They have an 18 DLX Party Barge for under $17K new with a 50HP motor. Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #30
pjard

I don't know what you want for speed but an 18' Sun Tracker with a 50HP would be pretty slow. With a boat with 4-5 people on board I'd bet you'll be lucky to hit the teens. So even if you're not a speed baron that's ok, neither am I but being on a day boat there will be times you need to beat the weather or just get out of a tough/tight situation.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
In my opinion, if your looking for a "value" tri-toon, check out either Goodhue and Hawkins "Tahoe" line or Winnisquam Marines "Palm Bay" line. Palm bay is made by Premier just not as plush and without all the bells and whistles. Both are very nice boats.

Good luck in your search!

Dan

Just an update Goodhue Hawkins doesn't sell pontoon boats any longer. Steve told me that he is investing in the Hacker Craft and he is out of the tin boat business.

Palm Bay is a good entry level boat. Good suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-18-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #32
Orion

Default You get what you pay for

Quote:
OK, I gotta ask because the sheer simplicity and pricing of Bass Pro Shops' Sun Tracker keeps coming up. They have an 18 DLX Party Barge for under $17K new with a 50HP motor. Any thoughts?
Boats like the Sun Tracker tend to have less than premium materials, such as thinner vinyl and less stiffness in the deck structure. Also check the gauge thickness and diameters on the pontoons themselves. I did compare them to the premium brands a few years ago and there was quite a difference if you know what your looking for. But, if you don't plan to keep it more than a few years, they're a great buy.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #33
thinkxingu

OK, thanks. I figured as much, but, like I said, it's just so easy. Most marinas don't have their prices on the web, so I can't really even shop to get an idea of price.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
thinkxingu

BTW, what are the best used boat finder options? Craigslist is Meh.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #35
Dave R

Quote:
BTW, what are the best used boat finder options? Craigslist is Meh.
I found mine on boattrader.com. If you are willing to travel, there are some good deals outside of New England. I bought mine in Indianapolis and sold my old boat to a guy from Chicago.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #36
thinkxingu

Continuing to shop, but something came up I hadn't thought much about: towing. I've got a Jeep Wrangler that is rated for 3500 pounds. Which is lightest: bowriders, deck boats, or pontoons?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #37
jazzman

Pontoon boats will be the lightest... I wouldn't want to tow anything serious in a jeep wrangler. Rated towing capacity is typically for pulling something on perfectly flat land in nominal temps.

A 20-ish bow rider will easily go 3000 pounds
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (04-08-2020)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #38
HellRaZoR004

Pontoons will most likely be the lightest but usually has more drag. You'll know it's there on the highway.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
First Mate

If you have a spot on the lake for the boat all summer then you don't necessarily need to tow--it depends on what you plan to do for winter storage. A trailer could add $2K to the price and that money might be better spent on the boat itself.

I love all boats, there's no wrong hull style, they all have pluses and minuses. That said, I vote +1 for a pontoon. If your budget allows, by all means go for the tri-toon! But if cost is an object, a 20' gently used two-toon with min. 75 hp motor would be a good first boat choice, IMHO. Docking will require some learning but they are stable & tough & easy to maintain.

Most marinas do post the prices of their used inventory. You can rent a boat for a few hours to try different styles, since you are new to boating it would be a worthwhile investment to see what you and the family are comfortable with before buying. You could also attend marina in-water demo days, but they are mostly held in spring.

Happy shopping!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
drwamcross

Default Young Children Boating

One other thing to think about is the age of your children. I have been boating for almost 50 years. When we bought a place on the lake about 10 years ago, my thought was to go with a bow rider but our grandson was an infant and my wife didn't feel comfortable with a bow rider but wanted to get a cuddy cabin. We bought a 22ft Chaparral from Fays and am glad we did. When you get out on the lake, children of the ages you mentioned will quickly fall asleep with the motion of the waves/wakes and sound of the engine. It was so much easier to just put them in the cabin with their life jackets on. It also gets them out of the sun, although having the bimini up helps. The grandsons are now 10 and 7 but still like to use the cabin for play and also their private get-away.

I bought new and went to the New England Boat Show where Chaparral was being shown by Russo Marine in Medford. I then went to Fays and they beat the "special" boat show price by a substantial amount for the identical boat.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #41
thinkxingu

20' cuddy cabins even exist? Doing some finance work, it looks like we're going to limit our investment to $10-15k. If we go to the upper part of that, the boat will need to be a 2007 or newer for financing at a 1.9% rate. Those prices work?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #42
thinkxingu

PS The boat will be kept on either a beach pole, rented dock, or marina (valet service). I was wondering if delivery and takeout is an offered service if winterized/stored at a marina instead of my camp parking lot.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #43
jazzman

Many of us here don't own a trailer... Many local marinas are happy to haul, winterize, store and launch your boat. I don't miss owning a trailer in the least.

Valet is a good option if you can plan ahead a couple hours. It's cheaper than a dock and your boat will stay nice and clean.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #44
thinkxingu

Good info, jazz--that helps. I like the valet idea, but there's something much more pleasing about walking to the boat and scooting off instead of loading into the car and driving to the marina. The beach poles are a lottery, though, so I might have to do that a season here or there.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #45
HellRaZoR004

Someone help me here, what the heck are beach poles as they relate to boating?

As for valet, it works well for me. I call on my drive up and they have it in the water by the time I get there. It doesn't include winterization, storage fees, or spring work but it does (in my case) guarantee 1st say when it comes to covered storage racks, if I chose to pay the winter storage fees.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #46
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Someone help me here, what the heck are beach poles as they relate to boating?

As for valet, it works well for me. I call on my drive up and they have it in the water by the time I get there. It doesn't include winterization, storage fees, or spring work but it does (in my case) guarantee 1st say when it comes to covered storage racks, if I chose to pay the winter storage fees.
I believe it would be a version of a shallow mooring?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #47
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

OK. What's a shallow mooring? What's a beach pole? More explicit answers, please. Do these apply to the lake, or are they tidal plans?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #48
thinkxingu

Our beach poles are just that: poles about ten feet up the beach from the water to tie boats onto.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #49
thinkxingu

What do y'all think about the Hurricane SS 188 for a first boat? It looks like I could score a newer one of them for around $20k where it looks like I'm pretty far past that for a pontoon with a 75+ HP motor.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #50
Dave R

Quote:
What do y'all think about the Hurricane SS 188 for a first boat? It looks like I could score a newer one of them for around $20k where it looks like I'm pretty far past that for a pontoon with a 75+ HP motor.
I've never been in the market for one of those, but from what I have seen, Hurricane builds a good boat. The fit and finish looks great and the hardware is good quality. It also has all the features I like in a boat that size, glass-lined cockpit, outboard engine, and (I'm pretty sure) a self-bailing cockpit. The seating layout is great.

It probably won't ride as smoothly as a V-hull boat of the same length, but honestly, I think the trade-off would be worth it since it would likely should plane a lower speed than a V-hull. Should be very fuel efficient too.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Since I'll be with my young family 90% of the time for at least the next five years, the number of times I'll be crossing the broads is low. And, if things go well and we can get summers off in a year or two (we're teachers working summers right now), those days would more than likely be during the week, which we've heard are much slower.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #52
Phantom

The "Broads" being a challenge is typically due to weather not boat traffic per se. Thus can be tough on any given day of the week

Meredith Bay & the Weirs area on the other hand can be challenging at times weekends due to boat traffic & cross-chop in the afternoon's

There has been many a Saturday/ Sunday that Broads are calm flat waters until the wind picks up.

Just so you know

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #53
thinkxingu

Good to know. Another question: what are we looking at for costs if I need to have the boat launched and retrieved each year, assuming that it's serviced/winterized/stored at the same marina and, if I'm buying this late in the season, what might I expect for a discount, if any, on those services?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #54
jazzman

Haul, winterize, shrink-wrap, store, spring check and launch will probably run close to $800-$1000

And thats of course assuming nothing is wrong with the boat.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #55
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Negotiate

Some marinas will work those winter expenses into the purchase price
for the first year, especially if you're buying a 2014 model and they want to make room for 2015. Maybe they get some factory help to move old model year, just like car dealers.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #56
wynndog

Thumbs up small boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post

Thanks! I just bought my first boat,AT 65, an it,s a Glastron 17.5' Merc 3.0.
I like some adventure, but just like a car...be alert
.I just stay near shore and will try smaller lakes. It's hard to find a small boat under 2500lbs. to tow w/ an Outback too.(In nice shape)Just have 2 blisters that are open and glass exposed I'm worried about. The hull cracks are normal for a 12 yr. old boat. Going to try some waterproof epoxy.
Wynn
Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #57
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
Just have 2 blisters that are open and glass exposed I'm worried about. The hull cracks are normal for a 12 yr. old boat. Going to try some waterproof epoxy.
Wynn
I would not advise using anything but marine epoxy made for this kind of job, like West Systems 105. That said, I would just enjoy the boat it as-is for now and fix it correctly over the Winter. This type of repair work is VERY easy and even if you have to by a few tools, you will come out way ahead on cost if you do it yourself. You will also have the luxury of time which is essential to get the moisture out of the laminate, once you expose it. Google "boat hull blister repair" and I'm confident you will find plenty of information for DIY repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
wynndog (08-11-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #58
thinkxingu

Thoughts on: Hurricane 188 OB with 115hp, 20' Palm Beach with 60hp, or Crest 20' with 70hp? Hurricane and Crest from rental fleet and under 20k, Palm Beach new at 20k.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #59
Phantom

I LOVE Horsepower !!!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #60
Dad sold the C * C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

I LOVE Horsepower !!!

Hard to argue with that

I have rented 2 different Palm Beach's this year from Winnisquam Marine. One was a 20 ft pontoon with a 25 hp and the other was a tri-toon with a 200hp. I was pleasantly surprised with these boats as I have also rented Premiers. I think the 60 hp would move the boat along nicely. Personally I would prefer the Tri-toon but that's not always in the budget.

If possible I would strongly suggest renting what you hope to buy, even if it is a different HP. If nothing else you get to see how they hold up after multiple people use them.

I'm not sure about towing a pontoon with a jeep, they are light but have a lot of surface area to catch the wind. I have towed things with and undersized vehicle and it's not much fun. As on horse boards towing and tow vehicles can a whole topic by itself.

Last edited by Dad sold the C * C; 08-08-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: To add about towing
Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #61
thinkxingu

OK, would love opinions on these two options: 2014 20' Crest Wave with 70HP Suzuki, low rental hours, full warranty, immaculate shape, $18K. New 2014 Hurricane 188 OB with 115HP Yamaha, $23K. Neither has trailer, both include launching, winterizing, storing, and spring launch. A reminder: first boat, Hanson Cove, 2 & 4 year-old-kids. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #62
rowinghelmet

I would take a look at this used Cobalt 206 bowrider. Cobalt is one of the best quality family boats.

http://www.channelmarine.com/pre_own...sp?veh=3851744

The advantage of a boat like this is you'll be able to sell it for close to what you paid when you have a better idea of what you're looking for in a few years. If you buy a 2014 or other newer boat it will depreciate rapidly in the first few years. This boat also has plenty of power for watersports or to get back home quickly when bad weather is approaching.

Channel Marine is great and should be happy to take you on a test ride too.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #63
thinkxingu

Financing a boat that old, and paying that much for one, is difficult for me.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #64
tabascocat98

Quote:
Hi!
First off, sorry this is so long--my question is below, if you'd like to skip through the background.
I have searched and read and searched but haven't been able to come up with my answer, so: Hello! I'm new to this forum and to boating. My wife and I were able to acquire a small camp on Hanson Cove with lake access and, though I thought I could wait a few years to get on the water, it's just too tempting.
That being said, I am looking for advice on purchasing our first boat. We have two small children, 2 and 4-years-old and a limit of 20' for where it'll be kept. At first, we were set on a pontoon, which looks like it'd be relaxing, but then we started looking at bowriders because they look sexy and we could scoot around a bit more. And THEN we saw a couple deck boats that we think would be a great compromise (Hurricane SunDeck Sport, etc.).
But then I found some threads here about choppy waters, boat size, and deck vs. bowrider (cutting vs. slapping, etc.).

SO: If I plan on mostly scooting around the Hanson Cove area and, probably at most over to Moultonborough Bay (as opposed to the broads), would a 19-20 foot deck boat be a good choice?

Any other suggestions or things I should be considering are very welcome. Thanks!
We traded in our 2010 Premeire Sunsation LTD at Winnisquam in June--think it is still there..perfect shape. It has a 25 hp so you might wish to upgrade that. Has a trailer too. Gorgeous boat and seating is so comfy! We loved the premiere so much we bought a bigger one! Hated to let this one go.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #65
thinkxingu

Hi! Bought a boat this weekend, so I'll close this thread with the result and reasoning for anyone who might read this going forward: Ended up with a 2013 21' Crest with 70HP Suzuki. Took two pontoons out for test drives--discovered that marinas (and some private sellers) are expecting customers to do this--and looked at a couple deck boards and bowriders. Didn't like the size of bowrider and couldn't seem to get past what most people said (and my wife's experience with her friend's deck boat) about them being "slappy" in less than ideal conditions, especially after two nice pontoon test rides. The Crest was the right price to get us into boating, has nice room and a gentle ride, and has enough get up and go for my young family. And, since the price was right, we'll have equity should we decide we need something different as the kids grow.

Finally, the deal made us comfortable: price included winter storage, valet service for the rest of the season, free install of a Garmin GPS I bought, and a nice set of PFDs (not the cheesy orange ones).

Thanks for your help, all. And now to start a thread about where to go!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #66
Happy Gourmand

Congratulations, I hope you get many years of enjoyment with your new boat.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
thinkxingu

PS Scott, Denise, Gordon, and the rest of the gang at Trexler's has been great! I think they have an account here, so I'll expect a discount on my next gas bill.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #68
VitaBene

Quote:
PS Scott, Denise, Gordon, and the rest of the gang at Trexler's has been great! I think they have an account here, so I'll expect a discount on my next gas bill.
I also had a great experience with Trexlers when buying our new to us boat this spring. I cant say enough good things
Old 04-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #69
thinkxingu

Just wanted to provide a follow-up here for a few reasons:

1. To show how the tone of the forum has changed.

2. To thank RLW for welcoming me (since he posted about returning the other day!).

3. To summarize my boating experience thus far: though we started with the Crest 20' pontoon, after a couple seasons we discovered what we liked and how we really planned to use it and ended up ordering a new 20' Harris tritoon with 150 Merc and performance package from Melvin Village Marina. We've had "Boatie Two" since 2016, and it's been the perfect vessel for us: efficient, stable, quick (enough), and roomy. At the time, Trexler's had moved from Crest to Manitou and I just didn't love the Manitou layout (or pricing).

So, thanks all for the original info that got me on the water—it's crazy to think how quickly time passes.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #70
Susie Cougar

The governor of Maryland has prohibited all recreational boating. You can only fish to provide food for your family, not for recreational purposes. What does everyone think is going to happen in New Hampshire? The governor does seem to follow what other states are doing.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #71
Newbiesaukee

Just an addendum....marinas selling gas are allowed in MD. Seems a lot of wiggle room if you fish. Kayaks and canoes are also OK.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
The governor of Maryland has prohibited all recreational boating. You can only fish to provide food for your family, not for recreational purposes. What does everyone think is going to happen in New Hampshire? The governor does seem to follow what other states are doing.
Hey America, how do you like socialism so far...??? Lot's of fun, huh?? Keep voting Democrat's in office and you can have it forever. Maybe, (hopefully), this is just what we need to wake some people up, give them a whole new appreciation for FREEDOM. Time will tell... (Sorry, couldn't resist!!) Hey Thinkxingu, I don't think the "tone" has changed on the forum. I believe that most people on this forum enjoy giving advice to newcomer's, and inexperienced boater's to help them out with making decisions they know nothing about. The problem is that you should know the answer's to most, if not all of your recent questions about buying/owning a waverunner after being on the lake for so many years now. I think some people feel like they're answering the same old questions time after time from the same person, and it's feels like it's just "getting old" to some. That's all, just a hunch, I could be wrong...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 04-02-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #73
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Hey America, how do you like socialism so far...??? Lot's of fun, huh?? Keep voting Democrat's in office and you can have it forever. Maybe, (hopefully), this is just what we need to wake some people up, give them a whole new appreciation for FREEDOM. Time will tell... (Sorry, couldn't resist!!) Hey Thinkxingu, I don't think the "tone" has changed on the forum. I believe that most people on this forum enjoy giving advice to newcomer's, and inexperienced boater's to help them out with making decisions they know nothing about. The problem is that you should know the answer's to most, if not all of your recent questions about buying/owning a waverunner after being on the lake for so many years now. I think some people feel like they're answering the same old questions time after time from the same person, and it's feels like it's just "getting old" to some. That's all, just a hunch, I could be wrong...
I think better term is authoritarianism. Socialism seems more aptly applied to everyone getting tested for the Corona virus for free or receiving checks from the government.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #74
thinkxingu

Quote:
The problem is that you should know the answer's to most, if not all of your recent questions about buying/owning a waverunner after being on the lake for so many years now.
Therein lies the difference: the assumption then was that if someone was asking questions they didn't know the answers. Now? There are gatekeepers who decide what is reasonable to ask.

Look at the thread about the person seeking bridge clearance info. People knew exactly what the (brand new to the forum) OP was asking, yet the first two replies were snarky critiques of how the question was asked rather than just answering the damn question.

Given that I've received quite a few private messages from people who "don't want to engage" on the forum, I'm not the only one who recognizes it.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #75
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I think better term is authoritarianism. Socialism seems more aptly applied to everyone getting tested for the Corona virus for free or receiving checks from the government.
I will agree with you on the term "authoritarianism" at the point to which we find ourselves at the moment, but don't doubt for one second that "they" would love to "fundamentally change" this country to what you see in China. They say it all the time, but our media never demands them to be specific in what they mean... (how convenient). I believe it's their ultimate goal. Just look at the way they run their party. Not one of them dares to step "out of line"...
Old 04-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #76
fatlazyless

Quote:
Hey America, how do you like socialism so far...??? Lot's of fun, huh?? Keep voting Democrat's in office and you can have it forever. Maybe, (hopefully), this is just what we need to wake some people up, give them a whole new appreciation for FREEDOM. Time will tell... (Sorry, couldn't resist!!)
Hey there Cal Coon, this will no doubt surprise you. The governor of Maryland is 63 year old Larry Hogan, a Republican, in office since 2015.

From the Maryland Dept of Natural Resources:

http://www.news.maryland.gov/dnr/202...at-home-order/

Next move coming from the right; start calling Maryland Gov Larry Hogan a rino, Republican in name only, is what usually happens when the right disagrees with their fellow Republican.

Gov Larry Hogan is too much watching out for the people of Maryland to be a real Republican? Cannot be a real Republican ..... must be a rino?
VitaBene (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #77
Cal Coon

Quote:
Therein lies the difference: the assumption then was that if someone was asking questions they didn't know the answers. Now? There are gatekeepers who decide what is reasonable to ask.

Look at the thread about the person seeking bridge clearance info. People knew exactly what the (brand new to the forum) OP was asking, yet the first two replies were snarky critiques of how the question was asked rather than just answering the damn question.

Given that I've received quite a few private messages from people who "don't want to engage" on the forum, I'm not the only one who recognizes it.

It was really only one guy with the snarky comment, (in the bridge clearance post), but it was very early (3rd post I believe) in the post, so I will give you that one... lol
Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #78
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey there Cal Coon, this will no doubt surprise you. The governor of Maryland is 63 year old Larry Hogan, a Republican, in office since 2015.

From the Maryland Dept of Natural Resources:

http://www.news.maryland.gov/dnr/202...at-home-order/
Have you ever heard the term "R I N O"??? Charlie Baker has a "R" in front of his name too, Mitt Romney is another one. Unfortunately, there are many in the party... That is the ONLY credit I will give to Democrats. No such thing as a "D I N O"!!! They stick together, and circle the wagons when they have to, no matter what, because they're scared to death of the consequences of "falling out of line"...
Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #79
thinkxingu

Quote:
It was really only one guy with the snarky comment, (in the bridge clearance post), but it was very early (3rd post I believe) in the post, so I will give you that one... lol
#2 may not have been snarky per se, but it was useless and critical even though, again, we all knew what was being asked.

It is what it is—I think it's a reflection of where we are as a culture (a whole other discussion), but I hope for better in places I see value in.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #80
ishoot308

Think....

I think you should get a jet ski....

Hope all is well!

Dan
Cal Coon (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #81
thinkxingu

Quote:
Think....

Hope all is well!

Dan
I've got one on order! I'm blown away by how many people use them for fishing—certainly not like your rig, but some pretty cool machines!

Congrats on getting out to your island place—enjoy!

Old 04-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #82
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Think....

Hope all is well!

Dan
Good idea!!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #83
thinkxingu

Here's a picture of what we'll look like driving it!Name:  FB_IMG_1585698395779.jpeg
Views: 2120
Size:  21.3 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #84
ishoot308

Too funny!

Thanks!

Dan
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #85
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Bridge clearance thread

Think/Cal

Why don't you each take a chill pill?

If you've continued to read that thread, you've seen my apology and explanation of my post-#3.

I included an emoji- indicating there was no "snarky" intention at all.
Also, I made it clear that my post was directed at post #2 (which was not snarky either-sincerely posted, I thought). I found humor in it, so I guess that was my mistake.

As far as the OP being a first timer- excuse me for not investigating everything (nit-picking) as you seem to like to do. Again, I made my apology and welcomed the poster to the Forum.

Go boating and separate yourselves from everybody. Sounds like you need the break!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:05 AM   #86
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Think/Cal

Why don't you each take a chill pill?

If you've continued to read that thread, you've seen my apology and explanation of my post-#3.

I included an emoji- indicating there was no "snarky" intention at all.
Also, I made it clear that my post was directed at post #2 (which was not snarky either-sincerely posted, I thought). I found humor in it, so I guess that was my mistake.

As far as the OP being a first timer- excuse me for not investigating everything (nit-picking) as you seem to like to do. Again, I made my apology and welcomed the poster to the Forum.

Go boating and separate yourselves from everybody. Sounds like you need the break!
Six years ago, everyone was welcome without the least amount of static and discourse was more polite. I just don't see that positivity anymore, but I hope to.

Good on you for apologizing to the OP.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 03:47 AM   #87
thinkxingu

Two days later, on another thread:

"I was merely asking a question. Instead of having a civil conversation you decided to immediately jump down my throat... Thanks for reminding me why I don’t frequent this forum."

Almost like he asked "too many" questions about jetskis!

Old 04-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #88
gillygirl

Quote:
Six years ago, everyone was welcome without the least amount of static and discourse was more polite. I just don't see that positivity anymore, but I hope to.

Good on you for apologizing to the OP.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. In the early days of the forum, my husband lasted about two days. I can’t even remember what he posted, but one response he got was very rude. Since he didn’t tolerate that stuff, he left.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #89
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you. In the early days of the forum, my husband lasted about two days. I can’t even remember what he posted, but one response he got was very rude. Since he didn’t tolerate that stuff, he left.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
You may be right, but in the time I've been a member--since 2014--this last year has felt like the worst in terms of attacks, criticisms, etc. Like I mentioned above, I only really started paying attention when people would private message me rather than post publicly and it was driven home when people attacked me for too many threads when I was researching/excited about jetskis. (Those are the same people, by the way, who thumbs down cute puppy vids on YouTube!)

I've never seen a value in posting negativity on someone's threads—help out or move on has always been my philosophy, but that's just me.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #90
Susie Cougar

think, I found the Winnepesaukee forum last summer and I was very much enjoying hearing everybody talk about the lake. It took me a long time to get up the courage to actually respond to a post. I am not on Facebook and this is all very new to me. I sent a private message to you because you live in Hanson Cove, and that is where my life on Lake Winnipesaukee started, so I felt that I had a connection to you.

I also don’t remember what I said, and I will be the first to admit that I do have very strong feelings, but I felt you attacked me so badly that I almost considered leaving the forum.

Around the same time that I joined, there was another new member, which I have thought of pretty much constantly. His name was Dhamma. I don’t know him, but it seems to me, like the rest of us, he was just trying to connect somewhere. He was attacked pretty badly and he has not been on this site since around Thanksgiving time. I’m just saying.
Also, think, I have come to enjoy your posts, even when you go on and on and on about your Jet Skis inwhich I have no interest.But, I read them all anyway.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #91
thinkxingu

Quote:
think, I found the Winnepesaukee forum last summer and I was very much enjoying hearing everybody talk about the lake. It took me a long time to get up the courage to actually respond to a post. I am not on Facebook and this is all very new to me. I sent a private message to you because you live in Hanson Cove, and that is where my life on Lake Winnipesaukee started, so I felt that I had a connection to you.

I also don’t remember what I said, and I will be the first to admit that I do have very strong feelings, but I felt you attacked me so badly that I almost considered leaving the forum.

Around the same time that I joined, there was another new member, which I have thought of pretty much constantly. His name was Dhamma. I don’t know him, but it seems to me, like the rest of us, he was just trying to connect somewhere. He was attacked pretty badly and he has not been on this site since around Thanksgiving time. I’m just saying.
Also, think, I have come to enjoy your posts, even when you go on and on and on about your Jet Skis inwhich I have no interest.But, I read them all anyway.
Susie! I'd like to know if/when I ever attacked you—I am in no way immune from making bad decisions, and am not above reproach, but I don't recall ever being overly critical other than in defense of myself or others.

If I did, I apologize retroactively—that's never been my intention.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #92
thinkxingu

I had to go look because the last thing I want to be is a hypocrite, but this is all I found. I hope this isn't what you remember about me as attacking you!Name:  Screenshot_20200406-111339.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  32.2 KB

Old 04-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #93
Susie Cougar

And that’s the funny thing, think.

I also don’t remember what you said, but I do remember having a conversation with my son, explaining what I just said to you, that I had reached out to you because of where you lived and you were the first one to attack me.

As any good millennial would do, he told me to suck it up and don’t let anyone stop me from being on the forum.
This coronavirus is really getting to me, also. I have been self isolating for a month now and I am alone. My son is working in Tampa so it’s not possible that he can come down and visit me.

Somebody posted that they were drinking bourbon this morning, and when I read that I started drinking. And I’m not a drinker, so I’ll let you know how that goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #94
FlyingScot

Hi Susie/Think--

I love the image of wondering if people are getting out of the pool frequently enough...it's right out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I can see Larry looking at his watch!
Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #95
Susie Cougar

As someone who has never watched “Curb your Enthusiasm “, I have to ask you what do you mean?
Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #96
thinkxingu

Quote:
And that’s the funny thing, think.

I also don’t remember what you said, but I do remember having a conversation with my son, explaining what I just said to you, that I had reached out to you because of where you lived and you were the first one to attack me.

As any good millennial would do, he told me to suck it up and don’t let anyone stop me from being on the forum.
This coronavirus is really getting to me, also. I have been self isolating for a month now and I am alone. My son is working in Tampa so it’s not possible that he can come down and visit me.

Somebody posted that they were drinking bourbon this morning, and when I read that I started drinking. And I’m not a drinker, so I’ll let you know how that goes.
Terribly sorry to hear that—I hope things get better for you. I still have your PM and appreciate you reaching out and, again, apologize if I ever attacked you. Feel free to continue that private chat—I'd love to hear anything you have to add, especially given that my son will be exploring the area in his first boat—which was gifted to him from another forum member!

Old 04-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #97
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hi Susie/Think--

I love the image of wondering if people are getting out of the pool frequently enough...it's right out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I can see Larry looking at his watch!
Gross!

Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #98
Susie Cougar

I get it now. They are peeing in his pool.. Thanks, think.

Also, I was wondering how teaching is going? Do you feel like you’re working as much or more than you did before?
My son in law, is a principal, in Baltimore City. Today is the first day that they are starting distance learning. You’ve been at it for a week or two now, right? How are things going?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #99
thinkxingu

Quote:
I get it now. They are peeing in his pool.. Thanks, think.

Also, I was wondering how teaching is going? Do you feel like you’re working as much or more than you did before?
My son in law, is a principal, in Baltimore City. Today is the first day that they are starting distance learning. You’ve been at it for a week or two now, right? How are things going?
No worries—let's never fight again!

Education response is a state-by-state, district-by-district decision. In NH, where I live, for example, most schools were advised to take on an immediate remote learning system. In MA, where I teach, we were told to provide "supplementary" or "continued practice" material until DESE came up with a guide.

On the NH side, it was stressful for many and resulted in an imbalanced system (no baseline expectations or defined protocol). On the MA side, it was easy to provide simple assignments to keep kids connected with school. NH's approach was to replicate the school day as closely as possible, MA's approach was to keep contact for emotional well-being and not lose what had been being worked on.

Three weeks later, MA came out with guidelines for remote learning and NH found its way, so we're both in mostly similar places now.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #100
Newbiesaukee

It is a small world on the forum...my wife was a principal in FL. I grew up in Baltimore and moved to FL when I was 30...long time ago. Still visit family in Bmore.

Hard to judge about civility on the Forum. I used to comment only on restaurants. The conversations on the Speed Limit and the 2008 election could get pretty nasty.

But, I used to find more civility or maybe hypocracy in everyday life. The truth is I am older and may see things differently.

And I’m still on the Forum.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Closed Thread