Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
mcdude

Default Restaurants Available

It should be interesting to see the new incarnations of these spots. Let's say they were furnished and you had some culinary expertise and the financial where-with-all. How long would it take to get permits/licenses, hire staff and stock the inventory....would you be able to open by Bike Week....4th of July?
The former Love's Quay in Wolfeboro on Back Bay

The former Gretchen's at the docks in Glendale

and of course the former Gilford Steak House at B Mae's is perennially available. Also they are pushing the Alton Bay Pavillion as a possible restaurant site.

I hear this fairly new place is getting good feedback: Rumba, LLC - 29 Interlakes Way
14 Union St. - Tel: 603-569-4833
email: frojas@metrocast.net
Rumba, LLC - Latin American Bistro Latin American Cuisine featuring flavorful dishes, a warm casual atmosphere and friendly service. A unique dining experience in Wolfeboro! (They did have a nice web site but it seems to have disappeared.
I haven't been so I am NOT recommending the place. Besides, I'm the idiot who recommended Love's Quay for Valentine's Day - a night they were terribly understaffed. (sorry)

Last edited by webmaster; 04-05-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
donnamatrix

Default Re: Restaurants Available

Go try Canoe, which is in Center Harbor, where Checquers used to be. It is FABULOUS. The chef, whose name is Ouellette, used to be head chef at the NASWA. The food is great... but go early, parking is limited and the place rocks.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
Waterbaby

any particular style of food, or general "American Cuisine"? thanks!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
ebizboy

I second that. Went to Canoe for the first time last week. The food and service were both exceptional and the prices were very reasonable. We went around 8:00 on a Saturday night and got seated right away. I would guess they would have parking issues if the place were packed though.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
donnamatrix

They seem to have a rather eclectic menu. It includes yummy meatloaf (my husband raved about it, he had the sandwich on foccacia bread), ahi tuna (it was GREAT), along with more upscale items like rack of lamb, etc. My husband said the clam chowder was the best he'd ever had. I had the coconut shrimp and they were fabulous. I can't wait to return.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2004, 08:16 AM   #6
BBS

My wife and I stopped there a few weeks ago and left after looking at the menu - no vegetarian options.

Now there must be a few vegetarians who post to this forum. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in the lakes region that has at least one or two vegetarian selections?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
nh_screenwr

Not sure what menu you were looking at, but when we were there they had vegetarian dishes. Food is fantastic, blows away all other places in the area! Keep up the great work.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
BBS

Thinking that I might have missed something on the menu I just called the CANOE (603-253-4762) and asked... the manager says that they don't have vegetarian entrees on the menu.

I'm sure they serve fine food. I remember the place back in the early 70s when I went to Belknap in Center Harbor and it was just a truck stop. Anyone remember what it was called back then?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Check out some of these menus online.
Also check the restaurants in the Lake Links.
Good luck!

http://www.lakesregion-nh.com/year_r...ine_menus.html
Old 03-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #10
nh_screenwr

Well we must have hot a special, or got some special treatment. My girlfriend did indeed get a vegetarian dish. I am sorry they couldn't accomodate to your needs, as the food is great. Hopefully after your call they will add regular vegetarian dishes.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
zippy

Sunset Grill?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
SAMIAM

BBS..To answere your question,it was called Longwood Farms.Originally opened by Aaron and Gerry Smith who owned the big farm up the street.They served all kinds of homemade goodies and the place was always packed.When Belknap was open,it was owned by Bob Jones ,who now owns the Village Kitchen and still uses many of Gerry Smiths old recipies.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default "Gretchen's" Reopened

The former Gretchen's and more recently known as the Glendale Tavern has finally been re-opened. Interested in hearing a review of the facility...
click for link
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #14
Pam

Default Restaurants Available

About Canoe: Went there about a month ago and most in our party loved it with a couple of exceptions. One daughter, who's a vegetarian, ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad and the tomatoes were the hard, inedible, grocery store variety, which surprised me since this was a special that evening. I felt bad since there wasn't much for her to choose from on the menu and she could really only eat the cheese.

Also, I had a shrimp and lobster tail scampi which was pretty expensive considering there were only two or three shrimp and the pasta seemed rather dried out.

However, like I said, the other members of our party ordered specials and loved them.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #15
mets3007

I think I ate at canoe. me and my dad went looking for a restaurant and we ended up eating at some place. it was raining hard so we didnt look at the name. The portions were small and expensive and it was hot in there. There was a canoe of the roof so I think its the place. i wasnt happy there at all. The only good thing was the food was good but overpriced.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote