Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
NH_boater

Default Bridge clearance - Alton Bay

I am interested in renting a slip in Parker this year for the first time but I have a bridge clearance concern. My boat is listed with 60" bridge clearance and the Alton (rt 11) bridge to Parker seems to be designated at 60" as well, at full lake level. I am not sure where the 60" is measured (side of the arch? top of the arch?) I have a 23' Crownline Bow Rider.

I have two sets of questions.

1. How often does the lake rise above full? I do not want to restrict access to the boat because the lake is high under normal circumstances. I understand the possibility of a severe flood but how often is the lake above full? The lake level charts seems to indicate the average goes right to full every May/June. This tells me that every year there is a 50% chance of going above full. Standard deviation shows typical rise is 4-6" when above in Jun, if I am reading this right. If the lake is 6" above full, I am guessing that I cannot cross. Any experts want to educate me?

2. Does anyone dock at Parker or Gillan that regularily crosses this bridge that has a bridge clearance on their boat at or around 60"? How much clearance should I expect during normal boating levels?

I have seen some pretty impressive go fasts in Parker and Gillan and a 35 footer seems to typically have a 6' clearance. Can this be right?

Any advise or experience is GREATLY appreciated.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

I have been at Parkers since 1998. I have a Larson cuddycabin with a bridge clearance of 53 have only been stuck in the marina 2 or 3 times.With a 60 clearance for the most part you will be able to make it under the bridge all the time When I had problems the lake was so high there was a lake wide no wake zone.All in all the Parkers have been very good to me on repairs also
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

There are some 23 foot Crownlines in there
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

http://www2.des.state.nh.us/rti_data/wein3_TABLE.HTML
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

http://www.bizer.com/bztnews.htm#lakelevel
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
lawn psycho

Let me give you a BIG warning about Parker's. Your boat is not secure.

I was there for 6 years until 2 years ago a bunch of kids vandalized a handful of boats (mine unfortunately was one of them), stole fire extinguishers and discharged them inside of boats, stole GPS. The response I and others got from Parker's, was this is your problem and we want nothing to do with it. It was appalling.

Even after they knew it happened, Parker's didn't check boats nor notify any owner if their boat was damaged. So boats just sat there and most didn't find out until the showed up to go out for th day.

Twice I had really nice long ropes stolen over the time I was there.

Quite simply, the place is a public parking lot for boats. There are no eyes and ears out there and they are not watching your boat. You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

A 23' Crownline will clear no problem but you have to pull down your bimimi, antenna, etc obviously.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
I have been at Parkers since 1998. I have a Larson cuddycabin with a bridge clearance of 53 have only been stuck in the marina 2 or 3 times.With a 60 clearance for the most part you will be able to make it under the bridge all the time When I had problems the lake was so high there was a lake wide no wake zone.All in all the Parkers have been very good to me on repairs also
Is your Larson 53" or 5'-3"? Doing a quick search of Larson cuddy's seems to indicate closer to 5.5' than 4.5'. Sorry to question you I am just trying to see if you are taller or shorter than me. It would seem strange that you would get stuck at all with a 53" height if the bridge is at 60" unless the lake was way up. I am more nervous if you have been stuck a few times and you are 7" lower than me.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

My mistake bridge clearance is 4'7'' or 55 inches when lake os low I can get under with my canvas up but most ofthe time I clear by 10-11 inches
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Let me give you a BIG warning about Parker's. Your boat is not secure.

I was there for 6 years until 2 years ago a bunch of kids vandalized a handful of boats (mine unfortunately was one of them), stole fire extinguishers and discharged them inside of boats, stole GPS. The response I and others got from Parker's, was this is your problem and we want nothing to do with it. It was appalling.

Even after they knew it happened, Parker's didn't check boats nor notify any owner if their boat was damaged. So boats just sat there and most didn't find out until the showed up to go out for th day.

Twice I had really nice long ropes stolen over the time I was there.

Quite simply, the place is a public parking lot for boats. There are no eyes and ears out there and they are not watching your boat. You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

A 23' Crownline will clear no problem but you have to pull down your bimimi, antenna, etc obviously.
Thanks for the heads up. I had my boat across the street at Downing when this damage occurred. Was this a one-time event (major vandalism) or has this happened numerous times? In other words, is this similar to other vandalism around the community or is this a chronic problem?

Thanks again for your message.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

I only know of the one time.It was kids that came in by boat.I feel bad for Lawn psycho and saw the damage to his boat it was a mess from fire extingiser being discharged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunset Bob For This Useful Post:
Mr Cooke's Crew (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Mr Cooke's Crew

Default Alton Bay Bridge; (Parker's Marine)

I have a 22' Century Coronardo, I have never had a problem getting under the bridge. I've been at Parker's since 07. I feel bad for Lawn Psycho also, I remember when that happened 2 summers ago it was kids(my boat was not touched) But I do feel safe there. They do all the work on my boat, and they are very reasonable.
Mr Cooke's Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default Check past topics

If I remember correctly there has been more then one topic on Parker's Marine.
I do not recall what the feedback was one way or another.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cooke's Crew View Post
I have a 22' Century Coronardo, I have never had a problem getting under the bridge. I've been at Parker's since 07. I feel bad for Lawn Psycho also, I remember when that happened 2 summers ago it was kids(my boat was not touched) But I do feel safe there. They do all the work on my boat, and they are very reasonable.
Consider yourself lucky. There were at least 10-12 boats impacted. Two boats I know of had real damage from where they ripped out the extinguishers and broke off some attachments in their fiberglass.

If it ever happens to your boat, don't plan on Parker's to do squat about it or even take the time and notify if your boat were to be damaged or vandalized.

I could never recommend Parker Marine even if the dock space were free. Peace of mind is worth more than that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
AB_Monterey

There are spots located on the other side of the bridge. Sure, they may be a few bucks more but no headache with the bridge and your boat will stay cleaner as well.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Phantom

NH_Boater

Not slamming Parker, as I have no knowledge of the Marina but seeing as you seem to be mighty close to listed Bridge height at 60" why screw with it --ever consider driving an extra 10 minutes to WAM (West Alton Marine)?

WAM I can vouch for, as my daughter has been there now a couple of years (23' Sea Ray cuddy), and thoroughly enjoys the people, atmosphere and service. The rate will be a little higher but the amenities offset it.

Just a thought !

p.s. My daughter originally seriously considered Parker as well.

Mr Cooke's Crew (03-12-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
NH_Boater

Not slamming Parker, as I have no knowledge of the Marina but seeing as you seem to be mighty close to listed Bridge height at 60" why screw with it --ever consider driving an extra 10 minutes to WAM (West Alton Marine)?

WAM I can vouch for, as my daughter has been there now a couple of years (23' Sea Ray cuddy), and thoroughly enjoys the people, atmosphere and service. The rate will be a little higher but the amenities offset it.

Just a thought !

p.s. My daughter originally seriously considered Parker as well.
+1 on WAM. Heads and shoulders better than Parker Marine
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
COWISLANDDONZI

It depends on what you need.. We’ve been there 10 years and have GFB..so low clearance. We couldn’t make it under 1x ….and Parkers put our boat on a trailer and launched us in from Alton docks.
If it rains a lot the parking lot floods…bad…you have to take you shoes off to get in your boat. There amenities include 2 port- potties…that’s it..
For us its great bc we just need a place to park as we have a camp on Cow Island
It works great for us. As far a security…we have not had an issue
COWISLANDDONZI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COWISLANDDONZI For This Useful Post:
Mr Cooke's Crew (03-12-2013)