Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Vandalism on Bear Island

What is wrong with people? click for article
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
islandAl

Angry disgraceful

When found, the person(s) should be made to clean, with a toothbrush, the entire chapel; or something similar.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
GrandmaBig6

Default Better Idea

I think the "something similar" is a better idea.

It's a shame that there are people in this world who have to be so destructive to something (or even someone) who has done nothing to them.
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Pepper

Angry It makes me sick!

I am completely disgusted after having read the article this morning, and simply cannot comprehend how someone could do such things! I sincerely hope the perpetrators of this hideous act are caught, and some sort of appropriate justice can be meted out - slowly - so they feel the weight of what they've done. Perhaps they can be made to do several hundred hours of community service, while wearing t-shirts with large scarlet "V's on the front and back so all the world will know who they are and what they've done! SHAMEFUL!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
Lady Di

Default Perhaps the One whose property was defaced

will come up with something meaningful to straighten out the perp(s).
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
Rob

That's a damn shame. Its a beautiful church.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Grant

Default Unreal

You know, nothing surprises me anymore. Last year at this time, I found that someone had kicked a bunch of rails and signs off of Abenaki Tower, and had left a *turd* up top. After climbing that tower daily during the summer and even in winter since it was replaced in 1978, I'd seen garbage, graffiti, etc. -- things you learn to pick up and live with -- but wanton vandalism and the "calling card" topped 'em all.

This article just reaffirms my beilef that human scum are everywhere -- and it's up to us to ferrett the losers out make them feel as unwanted as possible. Find these punks and let 'em have it.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
Just Sold

Angry Some people have no respect!

There is no place here at the lake or anywhere else for that matter for anyone to deface, destroy or commit any type of vandalism.

I feel the same as everyone else here and I really agree with Pepper's post. I hope they do catch the individual(s)

It could have been island residents or guests who commited this act but it also could be locals or out of towners who know the islands have fewer people around after Labor Day. I would bet that it was a not done by an island property owner or their family members.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #9
Grant

Default Sick, but...

...a punishment came to mind.

Keel-haul them from the Mount Washington.

Yes, I am a twisted dude who watched too many pirate movies as a kid.

Still, it guarantees no repeat offenders.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
Outlaw

Default Punishment wild west style

Get out the ponies -- Drawn and quartered - that's all I can say.

What scares me, is that people who do this kind of thing are heartless and more importantly brainless and any type of punishment they receive they will wear like a medal of honor. I don't know if there is any punishment severe enough that would make them understand and realize the harm they did. Unfortunate for us (the rest of society)the only suiting punishment I think is for them to have children just like themselves (but that is another whooooole topic in itself).
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM   #11
Mink Islander

Default So sad

One of the stained glass windows in the entrance way is in honor of my wife's grandparents, Stanley (Hobart) and Helen Hopper. Has anyone seen the actual damage? I hadn't realized the other leaded glass in the main sanctuary had plexiglass protection on the outside. I thought only the two newer stained glass panels that are in the old tower (now narthex, I guess) of the church had it. I'm concerned that the windows broken were the stained glass ones. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Also, I've oftened worried that the chapel was left unlocked during the summer, but have loved that we could hike up with the kids, let them ring the bell, and occasionally climb the stairs to the lookout tower. It'd be a shame if this caused the Chapel to be locked down when services weren't going on.

A lot of people put time, energy and love into maintaining the chapel and its surrounding grounds. Takes only a miscreant or two to damage such a beautiful place. While I'd love to see the culprits caught and punished, I'm more interesting in making sure the proper repairs are done asap. If anyone has a contact looking for funds to assist in this, please post it or e-mail me. I'd be happy to contribute.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #12
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
Also, I've oftened worried that the chapel was left unlocked during the summer, but have loved that we could hike up ........ It'd be a shame if this caused the Chapel to be locked down when services weren't going on.

If anyone has a contact looking for funds to assist in this, please post it or e-mail me. I'd be happy to contribute.
I was married in that church, and I love takiing guests for a visit. It would be too bad, but unfortunately understandable, if we lost access.

I, too, would be happy to help with restoration.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #13
Waterbaby

Default Sick to My Tummy

I have not yet had the opportunity to visit the Chapel, but have wanted to for years, and now I fear I never may be able to. I have seen so many places closed to the public that used to be unlocked all of the time, including Churches, and this just sickens me. Is anyone here from Newburyport, MA, and can remember the Tower at Atkinson Common? And I can also remember posts here from when Kimball Castle was "open" to the public.... somehow, tho, I cannot just blame the vandals (assuming they are young) but also the parents........... and if it is the parents, that is even more scary.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
Gilligan

Angry Warped culture

How can this be fun? What kind of minds consider these kinds of acts innocent pranks? If they are caught (and I sure hope they are) they probably will just get a slap on the wrist or community service. When they are adults their records will be expunged. Does that mean their destructive attitudes have changed? How pitiful their lives must be if they need to get their kicks from this kind of vandalism. Could they be your neighbors kids or grow up to be your neighbors? You may never know who is in your neighborhood. Vandals, murderers, thieves, lawyers, good folks or who knows?

Contrast that to any number of situations. Like some guy who has to relieve himself by the side of the road. He gets arrested for indecent exposure even if he is hidden behind a bush. He is branded for life as a sexual offender. His picture, home and work addresses posted on the internet forever. Do we need to be protected from that guy or from the vandals and other wrong doers?

Respect for property and for others is something that seems to be declining in our culture. What will it be like for future generations?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
Misty Blue

Sorry Mcdude. That Mcsuks!

But lets do some thinking. We know that this happened between Sat. the 11th (someone was there) and Monday the 13 when the damage was discovered. There are not a lot of people around these days and there are a limited number of suspects.

Vandalisim such as this is rarely the work of one person. Chances are that a couple of kids got bored and went looking for some fun(?). There are people who read this forum who know the local kids, who was around, etc. There were also some people at Camp Lawerance. The people there must have some ideas as well.

To figure out who did this and confront the lil fellons could do some good. With the right pennance, fix the church, paint it etc. a shameful experiance could become a lifelong learing experiance.

I am ashamed to say that many years ago it did for me.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:28 PM   #16
Mink Islander

Default A thought

If the East Bear Island Association were to promptly distribute fliers at every camp on the island, explaining what happened and when, I wouldn't be surprised if the parents of the likely perps would have an epiphany about who probably did it. How they handled it from there would be up to them....Just seems unlikely that it was someone NOT somehow connected to a camp on the island.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

What a pretty place. Heartbreaking to have something happen to this treasure.

Saint John's on the Lake
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:45 PM   #18
mcdude

Default Impressive!

I'm thoroughly impressed! What a beautiful chapel and incredible web page. Bear Island has a treasure to be cherished.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:02 PM   #19
Lake Dreamer

Default Church Vandalism

My family and I were lucky enough to have vacationed on East Bear Island several summers growing up. My father (Presby. minister) even led church services there a few times. So sad and angered to hear of the vandalism.

In reading several threads today regarding how to set up computer/web cam's on different islands - I have to say how impressed I am with these members' technical knowledge. Maybe instead of "locking down" the church, donations could be raised to have someone place a webcam at the site to keep it safe! Even if the "hoodlums" tried to vandalize the camera - their faces would appear all over everyone's computers!

HELP - if anyone knows of rental options for Summer 2005 on East Bear, please e-mail me! We're in the process of adopting a baby girl and would love to have her baptized on the island with the "holiest" lake water! Total family members = 8 adults + 3 children.
Lake Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #20
mcdude

Default Police have no Suspects

As of 9/23 the police have no suspects

click for story from Meredith News

(11-25-04)...sorry for the dead link. Both the Merdith News and Granite State News' (Grunter's) links only last a week and then are replaced by the new edition. In the future I will cut and paste the whole article from these publications.

Last edited by mcdude; 11-25-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #21
CEP

Default Bear Island Church

Was wondering if anyone has any updates on the vandalism, to the church on Bear Island this fall.
Has anyone been caught? Has the church been repaired?
Thanks to anyone who has any info!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote