Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Not one MP seen on the lake all day

We launched at Lakeport yesterday morning, drove through Sally’s Gut then stopped at Stonedam Island for a swim.
Drove down to Alton at pretty much WOT slowing down briefly on the back side of Sleepers.
We had lunch at the seafood place next to the docks.
Except for those at the West Alton sand bar we could not have seen more than 10 boats on the lake up to that point and the Alton docks were empty.
We left Alton and drove up to Rattlesnake Island to look at a new construction, then on to Sleeps to another site and a chat with the builder.
From Sleepers we drove between Long and Sandy Islands then under the Long Island bridge and over to Braun Bay. Again we saw almost no boats out on the lake and maybe 40 at best in the bay.
We left the bay for a stop at the Nazwa and some food which we should have skipped because it left me loading the boat on the trailer in the rain.
We did not see one MP boat from the time I launched till the time we pulled out the boat.
Are they cutting back on manpower? I do not recall if I’ve ever spent a summer day on the lake and not seen several boats, or at least one in the area of the major docks.
I’m not complaining as I just wanted to burn as much of the 65+ gallons of last years fuel off as possible.
The only thing that could have made yesterday better is a little wind to kick up some chop. I didn't mention you could have waterskied across the Broads which makes for a boring ride.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
winnipesaukeenh

I have a friend in MP who told me that they didn't hire any additional help this summer due to budget cuts. However, I recently checked the State of NH's HR website and they are hiring for this upcoming season.
winnipesaukeenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Bear Islander

The Marine Patrol were at my place yesterday checking out my moorings. They do it every year on a mid-week day. I hear them on the scanner all the time.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
neckdweller

So that explains why our neighbors got a visit (and I think a ticket) for their moorings yesterday. Interesting that a raft at a nearby house didn't get the same treatment.

We weren't sure if maybe someone dropped a dime on them.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
winnipesaukeenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
So that explains why our neighbors got a visit (and I think a ticket) for their moorings yesterday. Interesting that a raft at a nearby house didn't get the same treatment.

We weren't sure if maybe someone dropped a dime on them.
Maybe it's because the officers were concentration on mooring enforcement? And do you seriously think someone would "drop the dime" on someone for having an unregistered mooring?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipesaukeenh View Post
Maybe it's because the officers were concentration on mooring enforcement? And do you seriously think someone would "drop the dime" on someone for having an unregistered mooring?
I could absolutely see that with some of my neighbors - close quarters on the lake make for some interesting relationships. I couldn't figure it out in this case though because the ones who got ticketed aren't usually involved with the petty neighborhood bickering that goes on in our area.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
winnipesaukeenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
I could absolutely see that with some of my neighbors - close quarters on the lake make for some interesting relationships. I couldn't figure it out in this case though because the ones who got ticketed aren't usually involved with the petty neighborhood bickering that goes on in our area.
Good point! It was probably just a concentration of the officer's that day. If someone really did complain about an unregistered mooring ball, they clearly have nothing better to do with their time
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
Woodsy

WinnipesaukeeNH...

Your kidding right? Of course a neighbor would drop a dime (about anything) on a moments notice nowadays! Just ask the folks over on Ames Farm! There is definitely a "me first" or "I have mine so screw you" pervasive attitude on the lake....

Woodsy
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
winnipesaukeenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
WinnipesaukeeNH...

Your kidding right? Of course a neighbor would drop a dime (about anything) on a moments notice nowadays! Just ask the folks over on Ames Farm! There is definitely a "me first" or "I have mine so screw you" pervasive attitude on the lake....

Woodsy
I haven't experienced that on the lake...yet. That's just really sad that people are that bored and willing to screw someone else over for a mooring ball...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Mink Islander

Default Mooring ball enforcement

The MP checks my mooring ball for proper decals every year too. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that some one ratted them out. This is simply routine enforcement. On the other hand, the regs require you to get a permit, and if you don't, you get what you deserve -- a sticker on your unregistered MB that tells you to remove it or lose it (and risk confiscation of anything attached to it)...

As an aside, rafts don't have to be registered anymore - that was a one year thing that went away. You just have to abide by the rules regarding placement but don't have to register them.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipesaukeenh View Post
I haven't experienced that on the lake...yet. That's just really sad that people are that bored and willing to screw someone else over for a mooring ball...
I've seen worse than that! Neighbors, supposed "best friends" one has a lawyer serve papers that a piece of their roof-line hangs over their property line! Can't make this up. Roof gets fixed, friendship OVER.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Wolfeboro_Baja

My wife and I are up on the lake this week on vacation and we were out Tuesday, Wednesday and today and haven't seen any MP's out on the water yet. I'm not complaining and I'm not breaking any laws, just saying we haven't seen any yet.
Wolfeboro_Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Unhappy Last week

And this weekend. I have yet to see the MP. Where are they?

The CB's were having a field day!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Lakewinn1

Post Marine Patrol

Saw them over near the Long Island Bridge earlier today....
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
meredith weekender

On Saturday afternoon we saw one near the GI Bridge and two rafting together near the AKWA Yacht Club. On Sunday we only saw one in Meredith Bay. Maybe they spent all of their budget on the new signage in Braun Bay.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Ropetow

Saw one in Alton Bay off Echo Point around 3 in the afternoon.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
VtSteve

Default This weekend

I was out on the Naswa boat Saturday. Not very busy at all, and the weather was quite nice. The only bonehead was a Rinker cruiser coming out of the Weirs channel as we were heading in. He passed throttle down on our port side at about 30 - 40'.

Oh, and the PWC's bombing around wave jumping the big boat's wake pretty close, but not too too bad.

We went out on the Mount today. Saw several MP's. One between the Weirs docks and the beach, another out between Bear and Governors, and another out in Alton Bay. Very light boat traffic, I never expected so few boats on a weekend.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #18
ApS

Default Unpredictableness...

After a VERY long absense, MP-7 came by here—at about 12-knots—late on Sunday afternoon. (Made a big circle tour, leaving a very large wake).

Very shortly afterwards, a second MP (RIB) came by—making the same tour.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
VtSteve

While you're out watching and counting boats for three hours or so APS, why don't you make mention of what you see out there? Ratios of sailboats to powerboats doesn't seem very useful, but whatever floats your boat I saw virtually all manner of craft yesterday on the lake, from the Weirs down to Alton and back. I saw several that violated the letter of the laws, but they were in good shape for safety. I saw boats slow down when needed (at least they were aware), A few go fasts traveling at fair speeds out to the broads, one was a little obnoxious as he headed towards Eagle I. All in all, I'd say boating traffic was about half of what I had expected to see.

The MP boats I saw were definitely not as interested in stopping anyone (unless they had to), as they were monitoring and observing. Sometimes, like about a year ago, you just have to put everything up on a shelf and do some real research. Most anybody could tell you what the hot spots are in terms of boat congestion. It would appear the MP's are interested in seeing what's happening, and possibly jotting down their thoughts.

Without even being on the water there last year, it was pretty apparent where the MP's needed to step up their visibility. Weirs outside channel. Done. Eagle Island/Governors. I might add, while being on the Mount, I witnessed confusion by many boaters around the Eagle/Gov NWZ. The Mount is roaring up to the spot, and boaters up ahead clearly look like they're confused as to getting out of the way quickly, or be run over. It happened both on the way out and the way in. I could just hear the skippers of the boats in front of the Mount.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Saw one of the military style, twin 150hp outboard boats puttering past Mark Isl at about 4pm.

Whille they look like a r.i.b., a rigid inflatable boat, believe it is a welded aluminum hull with a black flotation collar so it only looks like a rib. Remove the inflated collar, and the aluminum hull works fine without it, except the boat would have no floatation and would sink IF flooded.

Does that make it a 'spare rib' because the flotation collar looks like a large black tire inner tube?

Constructed in a boatyard in Missalugaville, Mississippi, or someplace....no doubt that style military-police-commercial boat probably has some type of a trade name???

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-24-2009 at 11:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
And this weekend. I have yet to see the MP. Where are they?

The CB's were having a field day!
We had three MP boats at the Timberman for Saturday and Sunday morning.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Kracken

My Bad, should have explained it better.

The PWCs drove by both McRibs in the dark. I thought it was illegal to drive them at night. They later passed around 10:00pm
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
ApS

Cool Calm and Sunny, Yielding to Hot, Hard Rain, then Lightning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
"...Not one MP seen on the lake all day..."
Nope—me neither—and I was out sailing The Broads from 8-AM to Noon.

I'm also constantly editing a log of the boat traffic this season.

At one instance yesterday, I counted 13 powerboats and four sailboats (maximum) as far as I could see. (More than half of the acreage of the lake).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
The Marine Patrol were at my place yesterday checking out my moorings. They do it every year on a mid-week day. I hear them on the scanner all the time.
I was greeted by them a few years ago—but it wasn't any of the usual MP boats. THis happened shortly after Mitt Romney was widely criticized for his so-called "swim-line".

I was asked if a row of boat fenders I had attached to my dock constituted a swim-line!?!?